Couple suing McDonald's says fries 'p...

Couple suing McDonald's says fries 'poison' to their child

There are 62 comments on the Palm Beach Post story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Couple suing McDonald's says fries 'poison' to their child. In it, Palm Beach Post reports that:

Nearly every day for the past two years, Annie Chimiak's parents took her to a McDonald's restaurant near their Jupiter Farms home for the child's favorite food, a large order of french fries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Palm Beach Post.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Laura

Gainesville, FL

#1 Feb 21, 2006
I'm sorry, but nearly every day for the past two years, this couple fed their child a large order of french fries! Somebody please check this child's arteries! If this child were eating these fries that often, then allergic reactions would have persisted to the point the parents should have asked themselves, "OK, what is she eating that is causing this?" It should not have taken two years to figure this out. Since the light apparently dawned only after the notice of wheat products by McDonald's I feel these people are playing a game similar to the lady who claimed to have found a finger in her chili. McDonald's must change it's recipe or pay the piper in some way, but not to these people. Anyone who feeds their child a large order of french fries nearly every day has questionable integrity.
the anti ronald

AOL

#2 Feb 21, 2006
Laura wrote:
I'm sorry, but nearly every day for the past two years, this couple fed their child a large order of french fries! Somebody please check this child's arteries! If this child were eating these fries that often, then allergic reactions would have persisted to the point the parents should have asked themselves, "OK, what is she eating that is causing this?" It should not have taken two years to figure this out. Since the light apparently dawned only after the notice of wheat products by McDonald's I feel these people are playing a game similar to the lady who claimed to have found a finger in her chili. McDonald's must change it's recipe or pay the piper in some way, but not to these people. Anyone who feeds their child a large order of french fries nearly every day has questionable integrity.
I'm questioning your integrity for being so cold and heartless. I'm guessing you either have no children or your children have never had a health concern that you had to worry about every waking minute.
DZNZ

Charlotte, NC

#3 Feb 21, 2006
I have Celiac Disease and trust me, those parents are too bright. I agree, first and foremost, who gives there child french fries everyday. Fruits and vegetables are gluten free. Lots of yummy options other than fries. Second, if the kid is sick everyday then PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER. My nutritionist told me to always be cautious of fast food or any restaurant fries.

On the other hand if McDonalds does in fact have gluten in their fries then their should be a lawsuit. But people who give their kid a large fry everyday should be sued too. Terrible.
davids_dad

London, UK

#4 Feb 22, 2006
Laura, you took the words right out of my mouth. Anti Ronald - the name says it all- You question integrity? Where is the integrity in giving a 5 year old an adult portion of fatty fries 'nearly every day'?

I have a child on a gluten free diet and what he eats concerns me everyday. If I have any concerns about a food it is removed behaviour and condition noted the re-introduced fo rconfirmation. This does not take 2 years.

2 years eating records(who does that?). Sounds about right if the end goal is maybe a lawsuit or am I being too cynical?

david's dad
the anti ronald

AOL

#5 Feb 22, 2006
davids_dad wrote:
Laura, you took the words right out of my mouth. Anti Ronald - the name says it all- You question integrity? Where is the integrity in giving a 5 year old an adult portion of fatty fries 'nearly every day'?

I have a child on a gluten free diet and what he eats concerns me everyday. If I have any concerns about a food it is removed behaviour and condition noted the re-introduced fo rconfirmation. This does not take 2 years.

2 years eating records(who does that?). Sounds about right if the end goal is maybe a lawsuit or am I being too cynical?

david's dad
I have a kid with food intolerance. I have no idea what's wrong with him. McDonald's makes him cramp up and have the runs (sometimes vomits) every time he eats it. I rarely let him eat it but it's one of his favorites and he's old enough to know that he'll have consequences after eating it.

Also, I keep a journal and have for YEARS about what foods affect him. It's not that uncommon of a thing for mothers to do. Not once has it crossed my mind that I would need something like that in a lawsuit (what a ridiculous charge that was). I've also had to use the removal and reintroduction practice to narrow down foods. Most people do that unless they trust the food labels and websites that list ingredients, etc. If they trust that food to be "free" they're less likely to think that's the offending food, such is the case with the lady feeding her kid fries every day. If you had read this was a treat for her child. I treat my kids every day too, maybe not with food, but they do get treated each day. There's nothing wrong with this practice.

This is not the first time McDonald's has not been upfront about the ingredients in their food products. I'm sure it won't be the last either. Defend their integrity all you want, but the proof is there.

I don't care if you or anyone else questions my integrity. My heart's in the right place and that's all I'm concerned about. I am pretty aggravated by all of these people acting like the parents are to blame for a multi billion dollar fast food restaurant lying to them. Focus the blame on the real villian.
davids_dad

London, UK

#6 Feb 22, 2006
Hi Anti Ronald, I wasn't questioning your integrity and I honestly believe you when you say your heart is in the right place. But, there alweys is one isn't there? Letting your child eat something that brings such an intense reaction, even if it is ultimately his choice to eat it, could be causing untold damage to his system and lead to some major complications.

You say that you have no idea what is wrong with him so why not find out definitively. Give the doctor all the information you have accumulated. You may discover that a simple supplement may remove these symptoms when eating these foods.

Davids Dad
the anti ronald

AOL

#7 Feb 22, 2006
Hi Davids Dad - There is always one, isn't there? I'm normally the one questioning the credibility of these things. I've thought a lot of this stuff was just the parents grasping at straws and finding any excuse to blame, and still would had it not been for having a son with food issues.

I've taken my son into doctors and allergists to no avail. I was told they could not do tests to confirm food allergies which I found out later is not true. I was told to feed him fiber - to not let him have sugar or red dyes - to eat all organic foods - to not let him have caffeine - to make sure he got 10 hours of sleep a night - they prescribed a pill for him to take an hour before eating - blah, blah, blah. I monitor his diet closely and make sure if he goes to visit anywhere they don't let him have certain foods or drinks. He's had his blood sugar level tested during one of his episodes. They also asked him if he was on drugs due to the odd behavior (extreme irritability, fatigue, even red eyes) that I know for certain is due to something in foods. I've even gone to the extreme of contacting the school and asking them to not let him have pop and candy (strange but this was a weekly treat for the students and aggravated his condition).

We'll be going back in again soon. I'm not a doctor but I know when something is off kilter. This just isn't normal and I need answers.(Not that I'll be jumping on the sue McDonald's bandwagon because he eats there about twice a year now, if that often, so I'm not concerned with them other than the fact they need to stop lying to the consumers - that's loooooooowwwww, don't you think?).

Anti Ronald
davids_dad

London, UK

#8 Feb 22, 2006
Hi Anti Ronald, I'm glad that your message wasn't an 'anti david's dad' one. I wasn't having a pop at you by any means. I do know how hard it is trying to do the best for our children.

Go with your gut instincts with your boy's diet. Mom usually knows best.

I would make sure that the school did not give him foods you think aren't suitable, treat or not. On trips and special days at school we provide our boy with foods he is able to eat. It shouldn't be too hard to get the school to comply to your wishes and do the same.

Good luck
David's Dad
greg from canada

Canada

#9 Feb 26, 2006
Who goes to McDonalds period??? Why fill your body with garbage. Anyone who eats this shit and feeds it to their child should be shot. Please, we all know its poison. So don't blame the creator....blame yourselves for supporting it. For the love of God just love yourselves and take care of your bodies for a change instead of blaming others for your slothfullness. gross!
Laura wrote:
greg from canada

Canada

#10 Feb 26, 2006
Ohh disregard my slander....I forgot I was talking to Americans...you'all just don't get it. over eaters anyway. piggy piggy pigs.
greg from canada wrote:
Who goes to McDonalds period??? Why fill your body with garbage. Anyone who eats this shit and feeds it to their child should be shot. Please, we all know its poison. So don't blame the creator....blame yourselves for supporting it. For the love of God just love yourselves and take care of your bodies for a change instead of blaming others for your slothfullness. gross!

<quoted text>
Mama Bear

Montesano, WA

#11 Feb 27, 2006
Laura,
As a mother of a child who is negatively effected by wheat and gluten, I think that I may be able to shed light on what appears to be a lack of knowledge on the subject on behalf of yourself. Firstly, often times well intentioned physicians actually instruct parents of such children to eat foods that are high in fat (e.g. fries, potato chips) so that the child will gain or maintain weight. Secondly, often times there is not an instantaneous response to gluten and/or wheat on the effected individual's part which makes it difficult to pinpoint a cause and effect relationship between the offending food and the negative symptoms (vomiting, diahhreah, cognitive changes, mood changes, malabsorbtion, etc.).
**Of Note: Nearly two weeks ago I called McDonald's corporate customer service number to request that the company's nutritional brochures that contain erroneous information about the contents of their fries, be pulled from the McDonald's stores until an up-to-date nutritional brochure can be printed. The customer service person took my contact information and stated that someone would be getting back to me, but to date I have not received any contact from McDonald's corporate on this. As of yesterday, Sunday February 26, 2006 McDonald's still had its fries listed as being dairy-free, gluten-free, and wheat free per the "McDonald's USA Food Allergens and Sensitivities Listing" which can be found at their website mcdonalds.com . This combined with the fact that the store manager's and employees claim that their fries do not contain wheat and/or gluten, can make it very difficult for a parent to know the truth about the ingredients. On Sunday the individual McDonald stores in my area (Spokane, WA) still had their "nutrition" pamphlets out on display for the public to make reference to. Given the fact that the pamphlets contain mis-information about the contents of it's fries, I specifically asked 4 of the local McDonald's that my child has previously eaten fries at, if they could please pull the pamphlets until corporate can reprint up-to-date ones so as not to pose a potential health risk to McDonald's patrons to may be effected. Of the 4, only 1 McDonald's said that they would (and subsequently has) pulled the erroneous pamphlets. Needless to say, from my personal experience I do not feel as though McDonald's is taking this matter seriously and as such that they have a lack of regard for their patrons and the public at large. Sincerely, Mama Bear
Laura wrote:
Prefer to disclose

Toronto, Canada

#12 Mar 9, 2006
the anti ronald wrote:
<quoted text>

I'm questioning your integrity for being so cold and heartless. I'm guessing you either have no children or your children have never had a health concern that you had to worry about every waking minute.
I'm sorry but i think that Laura is right. You have to be stupid enough to even feed your child fries more than once a month.
shannon

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Mar 11, 2006
don't expect mcdonald's to give you any truthful infomation regarding ingredients in their "crack", i mean, food. according to morgan spurlock's don't eat this book, mcdonald's failed to tell people that they used beef tallow in their fryers ( yummy beefy flavoed french fries). it pissed off a whole lot of Hindus. back in 2003, they claimed they were going to start to use trans -free oils. they haven't switched yet, but they have failed to announce to the public this. if you want your child to ingest pesticides (which according to one the farmers who grows potatos for mcdonald's..he said he couldn't even go on the field for 4 or 5 days after a spraying) and dies of heart disease before thirty, forget about the gluten intolerence. that's like putting a bandaid on a bug bite, while meanwhile, ignoring the huge, pus-filled abcess on your child's chest. get yourself educated. ignorance shouldn't be tolerated. vote with your fork.
Harris 4 Sheriff

Mocksville, NC

#14 Mar 13, 2006
There are doctors who tell parents of underweight children to feed them high fat content foods. I have a friend who was told to give her little boy, spoons full of margarine. Im sure she would assume that frenchfries everyday would be following the doctor's orders. We have to be sensible about anything we give our children. I like Mickey Dees french fries myself, but common sense tells me not to eat but a few at a time. Parents are responsible for what their children get to eat. Please make wise decisions. Dont blame someone else for you mistakes, just change what you are doing.
udont know

Glen Burnie, MD

#15 Mar 23, 2006
greg from canada wrote:
Ohh disregard my slander....I forgot I was talking to Americans...you'all just don't get it. over eaters anyway. piggy piggy pigs.

<quoted text>
Let me just say this!A liar is a liar simple as that. they lied .you talk about americans over eating the problem here is over french fries . you call us piggy piggy pigs .over french fries .And i heard people who live in canada eat quail, fish, elk, and moose them are all gods creation.are problem is potatoes grown in the ground and yours is more serious than ours .your eating live animals that are here on earth to live too. so check your doorstep before you try checking ours.
udont know

Glen Burnie, MD

#16 Mar 23, 2006
For those out there in the world who dont own any part of a mcdonalds then mind you own business and dont worry about us people who have a problem with thier food. the way i see it is i have family that have milk allergy you that dont have allergies be thankfull to god because i see people that have ate thier food and had side effects.
JKD

Round Lake, IL

#17 Apr 2, 2006
My 3 yo grandson is higly allergic to dairy. In January he went to McDonalds twice and had reactions each time. We could not figure out what the problem was since all that he ate was french fries. All that we could think of was that he posibly touched dairy from a cheeseburger in the playground area we have him the medication to stop the reaction. Now we feel deceived by McDonalds for not informing us that they added dairy to the french fries.
JKD

Round Lake, IL

#18 Apr 2, 2006
I posted this analagy to my blog when we discovered that McDonalds was lying to the public. Again!

Baby Bear (Wyatt) was hurt by a Giant (McDonald's) and Mama Bear (Alicia) and Oma Bear (me) are not happy with the giant and will protect Baby Bear from the Giant and are warning others to stay away from the Giant.

Baby Bear went to the Giant's house 2 weeks ago to play in the playground and get lunch. For a Baby Bear that is highly allergic to dairy he ate french fries which should be a safe food and always used to be a safe food to eat at the Giant's house. But this day the Baby Bear broke out, had an immediate stomachache and then diarrhea. "What could be wrong," Mama Bear thought. He only ate french fries. He had no other dairy to eat. But the Giant decided to change the recipe for french fries without notifying anyone. They now include gluten and dairy! Both items that are allergens to lots of people.

After hearing about the recipe change in the newspaper Feb 14th 2006, Mama Bear went back to the Giant's house to inquire about the Giant negecting to inform customers of the allergyns in french fries and hurting her Baby Bear. She asked them to put up a sign to warn others so they will not be hurt by the Giant. However, the Manager was still not aware of the change in the recipe and there is no sign.

If you still decide to go to the Giant's house please ask them to put up a sign about their french fries warning others of the danger and abuse it causes. Mama Bear and Oma Bear would prefer that you boycott the Giant and let them know why. They are not trustworthy and what other unknown dangers are they putting in their foods without notifying all the bears of the world.
Offended American

Johnston, IA

#19 May 17, 2006
greg from canada wrote:
<quoted text>

Excuse me! Not all americans are overweight. Don't Generalize on a few (well a lot) of people's mistakes. otherwise it's just plain mean
SMILES INC

AOL

#20 May 18, 2006
AMERICA NEEDS SMILES AND SMILES NEEDS YOUR HELP TO GET STARTED
http://www.lebleu2u.bravehost.com/SMILES.html
JKD wrote:
I posted this analagy to my blog when we discovered that McDonalds was lying to the public. Again!
Baby Bear (Wyatt) was hurt by a Giant (McDonald's) and Mama Bear (Alicia) and Oma Bear (me) are not happy with the giant and will protect Baby Bear from the Giant and are warning others to stay away from the Giant.
Baby Bear went to the Giant's house 2 weeks ago to play in the playground and get lunch. For a Baby Bear that is highly allergic to dairy he ate french fries which should be a safe food and always used to be a safe food to eat at the Giant's house. But this day the Baby Bear broke out, had an immediate stomachache and then diarrhea. "What could be wrong," Mama Bear thought. He only ate french fries. He had no other dairy to eat. But the Giant decided to change the recipe for french fries without notifying anyone. They now include gluten and dairy! Both items that are allergens to lots of people.
After hearing about the recipe change in the newspaper Feb 14th 2006, Mama Bear went back to the Giant's house to inquire about the Giant negecting to inform customers of the allergyns in french fries and hurting her Baby Bear. She asked them to put up a sign to warn others so they will not be hurt by the Giant. However, the Manager was still not aware of the change in the recipe and there is no sign.
If you still decide to go to the Giant's house please ask them to put up a sign about their french fries warning others of the danger and abuse it causes. Mama Bear and Oma Bear would prefer that you boycott the Giant and let them know why. They are not trustworthy and what other unknown dangers are they putting in their foods without notifying all the bears of the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Celiac Disease Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman sues McDonald's on french fries (Feb '06) Oct '16 Martythes 275
News 5 Nutrition Trends Found at NRA Show 2016 Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 4
News Ted Cruz: Soldiers Don't Need Gluten-Free Meals (Feb '16) Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 8
Celiac Disease Help (Feb '16) Jun '16 Victim 3
viagra given to some babies with weak lungs (Mar '16) Apr '16 Travis 3
News Teal pumpkins to make Halloween safe for kids w... (Sep '15) Sep '15 lirebec 1
News The First Superfood (Apr '15) Sep '15 EuniceGalarza 2
More from around the web