Celiac Disease Vaccine Shows Promisin...

Celiac Disease Vaccine Shows Promising Results in Phase I Trial

There are 22 comments on the Science Daily story from May 10, 2011, titled Celiac Disease Vaccine Shows Promising Results in Phase I Trial. In it, Science Daily reports that:

The Phase I trial undertaken in Melbourne, Australia, evaluated the safety, tolerability and bioactivity of the vaccine Nexvax2, which has been developed for celiac disease.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Science Daily.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sharon

Australia

#1 May 11, 2011
fingers crossed... This would be a blessing!!
injust10pages

Barrie, Canada

#2 May 30, 2011
Is this the same vaccine that they were testing on lab rats a few months ago? It truly would be an amazing breakthrough for millions of people around the world!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#3 May 30, 2011
Why have a vaccine for something which is telling you your lifestyle and diet are stuffed, better of to take control of your life than subject it to unnecessary pain and suffering, because you're piss weak.
coeliacitalian

Australia

#4 Jun 30, 2011
Palawa wrote:
Why have a vaccine for something which is telling you your lifestyle and diet are stuffed, better of to take control of your life than subject it to unnecessary pain and suffering, because you're piss weak.
Have you got coeliac disease to be saying that? Because if you don't, really, I dont think you can understand the huge lifestyle change it brings with it. It's not compulsory to have the vaccine. But it's an option - one which a lot of people will appreciate I'm sure.

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#5 Jul 1, 2011
coeliacitalian wrote:
<quoted text> Have you got coeliac disease to be saying that? Because if you don't, really, I dont think you can understand the huge lifestyle change it brings with it. It's not compulsory to have the vaccine. But it's an option - one which a lot of people will appreciate I'm sure.
My 3 kids all had bowel biopsies at an early age (if you're a Coeliac you would know why) which showed they all were "borderline" Coeliacs - they also had a Lactose intolerance/allergy and I substituted with Soy milk. That was back in the days when very little was known about C. disorder (it is not a "disease") and there was no commercial gluten foods available then at all.

I baked every single day of the week and I had to mix my own combinations of flours - excluding wheat oats barley and rye - and I also worked 4 days a week at the hospital. Instead of my husband and I eating 'different' foods, we all went on a Gluten free diet and we all were very healthy because of it.

I perfected a bread recipe and ended up coercing the warden of Etna Creek Prison to get the inmates to try making it on a large scale. They had to increase my recipe greatly and eventually they made a fairly good imitation of my own recipe, and the bread is baked at Etna prison to this day. I also submitted many G. free recipes to be included in the very first recipe book printed.

My kids (well and truly adults now) had biopsies many years later which showed there was absolutely no evidence of C. disorder anymore. Proof that diet works well, and they can eat anything now but within reason... they are not 'junk food junkies'.

Believe me, the "lifestyle change" was absolutely humongous back then but is certainly no biggie these days, as there are G. free foods available at every supermarket and many butchers now. Just be thankful you are a Coeliac in this decade and not a few decades ago.

A bit of trivia for you - gluten intolerance was known of way back in the days of the Pharaohs, they discovered the link between eating wheat and ill health... they just didn't know what it was in the wheat that caused it.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#6 Jul 1, 2011
coeliacitalian wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you got coeliac disease to be saying that? Because if you don't, really, I dont think you can understand the huge lifestyle change it brings with it. It's not compulsory to have the vaccine. But it's an option - one which a lot of people will appreciate I'm sure.
I've known a number of people over the years with the problem through my lactose intolerance, most people with a gluten intolerance also have lactose intolerance as well. The dietary changes are wonderful for peoples health, as vaccine only lows you to indulge in those things which are not good for your body, that sounds illogical and ridiculous to me.

Just about everyone I know around my age is medicated to the eyeballs, yet I have great health as do my friends wit allergies and intolerances, because of their diet and don't take or need any medication ever.
Glen

Bargo, Australia

#7 Jul 6, 2011
I am curious as to how the later in life biopsies for your kids came back clear of Coeliac disese.The specialist that performed the biopsy on my 18mth old now 6 1/2 said that you have it or you don't there is no in-between also it is with you for life. You won't be clear in the future i may have to get a second opinion. As to the vaccine my boy is thrilled about the possibility of being able to eat the same food as his friends on occasions.
Glen

Bargo, Australia

#8 Jul 6, 2011
You obviously doesn't have coeliac there is nothing piss weak about a 6 1/2 year old wanting to try foods that people eat everyday of the week without reading the ingredience .The vaccine is not a cure it merely helps. My son is over the moon that a vaccine is in sight. He has a very health diet which he would like all kids love to indulge from time to time what the other kids have without worrying that it will make him ill.
Gott Needs New Doctor

Tauranga, New Zealand

#9 Jul 6, 2011
Quote : "My kids (well and truly adults now) had biopsies many years later which showed there was absolutely no evidence of C. disorder anymore. Proof that diet works well, and they can eat anything now but within reason... they are not 'junk food junkies'."

You seriously need a new doctor, because that's totally incorrect.
The reason why the second test biopsy came up as clear was because being on a gluten free diet allows the hairs in the intestine to regrow. Giving your kids gluten means that you're destroyed all of that again & are harming your kids health.

Celiacs is for life.
Gott Needs New Doctor

Tauranga, New Zealand

#10 Jul 6, 2011
Btw : Palawa, do kindly stop being retarded.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#11 Jul 6, 2011
Gott Needs New Doctor wrote:
Btw : Palawa, do kindly stop being retarded.
Sorry, but I have no need to demean myself to your low life level, so you're stuck with your ignorance.

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#12 Jul 7, 2011
Glen wrote:
I am curious as to how the later in life biopsies for your kids came back clear of Coeliac disese.The specialist that performed the biopsy on my 18mth old now 6 1/2 said that you have it or you don't there is no in-between also it is with you for life. You won't be clear in the future i may have to get a second opinion. As to the vaccine my boy is thrilled about the possibility of being able to eat the same food as his friends on occasions.
My "kids" hadn't been on a Gluten free diet for many years when they had the biopsies done again. As I said before, they were diagnosed as "border-line" Coeliacs when quite young and due to a *rigid G-Free / Lactose-free diet* for the rest of their school years, it never developed into anything worse.

Many people are diagnosed as Coeliacs when strictly speaking they aren't. It's very important a diagnosis of Coeliac disorder is correct as it's a life long problem, but as your child gets older he should be able to tolerate small amounts of Gluten without any problems. It's all trial and error till you get it right.

Good luck with the vaccine but research it thoroughly yourself before trying. I'm suspicious of all 'vaccines' because, while they do good in some respects, no vaccine is without it's own set of other problems. Diet is always the solution, and my kids initially were a bit browned off having to stick to it, but when they swapped their lunches with other kids normal foods, they paid for it, so it didn't take long for them to accept their diet properly. In fact, other kids liked my kids food better than their own, and pestered their mothers to get the same for them. I had mothers ringing me up to find out what was so "special' about my kids school lunches. I had to do most of my grocery shopping in the Health food shops and bake everying which contained flour.

Continental Frankfurters were G-free, they still might be. Many butchers make G-free sausages (I made my own + rissoles, with a little sausage maker) and cakes, bickies, pancake/pikelet mixes etc are available in supermarkets and health food shops, so your son 'can' eat the same looking foods as his mates. He's lucky (and so are you) that he's not Lactose intolerant as well.

If you can understand the lingo, you might be interested in reading the following...

Non–Gluten Sensitivity–Related Small Bowel Villous
Flattening With Increased Intraepithelial Lymphocytes

http://ajcp.ascpjournals.org/content/121/4/54...

Baby gottaliv

Australia

#13 Jul 9, 2011
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
My 3 kids all had bowel biopsies at an early age (if you're a Coeliac you would know why) which showed they all were "borderline" Coeliacs - they also had a Lactose intolerance/allergy and I substituted with Soy milk. That was back in the days when very little was known about C. disorder (it is not a "disease") and there was no commercial gluten foods available then at all.
I baked every single day of the week and I had to mix my own combinations of flours - excluding wheat oats barley and rye - and I also worked 4 days a week at the hospital. Instead of my husband and I eating 'different' foods, we all went on a Gluten free diet and we all were very healthy because of it.
I perfected a bread recipe and ended up coercing the warden of Etna Creek Prison to get the inmates to try making it on a large scale. They had to increase my recipe greatly and eventually they made a fairly good imitation of my own recipe, and the bread is baked at Etna prison to this day. I also submitted many G. free recipes to be included in the very first recipe book printed.
My kids (well and truly adults now) had biopsies many years later which showed there was absolutely no evidence of C. disorder anymore. Proof that diet works well, and they can eat anything now but within reason... they are not 'junk food junkies'.
Believe me, the "lifestyle change" was absolutely humongous back then but is certainly no biggie these days, as there are G. free foods available at every supermarket and many butchers now. Just be thankful you are a Coeliac in this decade and not a few decades ago.
A bit of trivia for you - gluten intolerance was known of way back in the days of the Pharaohs, they discovered the link between eating wheat and ill health... they just didn't know what it was in the wheat that caused it.
Thank you mum,my ass feeling better than ever,good bye mum.
Mother Gottaliv

Australia

#14 Jul 9, 2011
Baby gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you mum,my ass feeling better than ever,good bye mum.
No worries Supa Aussie.
Mother Gottaliv

Australia

#15 Jul 9, 2011
Palawa wrote:
<quoted text>

Just about everyone I know around my age is medicated to the eyeballs,
Good Boy ,Palawa are taking your anti depression medication?
Health Online

Mumbai, India

#16 Jul 14, 2011
Now its very easy to contact with doctor .

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#17 Jul 14, 2011
Mother Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>Good Boy ,Palawa are taking your anti depression medication?
I know this is hard for you to grasp, but there are those like myself, who takes no form of medication. Unlike you, we have a life and not a drugged existence.
Big Aboriginal Sausage

Erskineville, Australia

#18 Jul 15, 2011
Celtics are a disease.
OMG are you serious

Perth, Australia

#19 Aug 15, 2011
The are three levels people!!
Gluten Allegy
Gluten Intolerance
And Coeliac Disease (aka Gluten Sensitivity)
This vaccine is for Coeliacs only.
Once diagnosed with Coeliac Disease (this is what it is called whether you agree or not) you have it for the rest of your life. There is currently no going back.
Children with Gluten Intolerance can grow out of it (this is NOT Coeliac Disease).
Coeliac Disease is an Auto Immune Disorder and can cause many illnesses throughout the body. I for one has been hit really hard and at 25yo have only now coming to accept I can't do everything the same as others. And it is getting worse as I get older. I am on a very strict diet, but we have to trust that the food we buy is actually Gluten Free and even the smallest amount can make me sick for days.
Currently I can't do Full-Time work which is killing me because I need the money but I keep on burning out if I don't rest enough.
I pray for the day they can cure this. there are so many things I want to do that most people take for granted. And I'm sick of people who mix up an Intolerance with Coeliac and tell me to pick myself up and get on with it, because trust me I would if I could but I'm only as good as my body is healthy.
There are some Coeliac's who are healthier than others but then there are those that are worse than me.
All I can say is if you are one of the healthier ones shut your mouth you have no idea how hard it is. I ain't as simple as a god damn diet and lifestyle change. I for one would love to go out for lunch with a friend without talking 30mins to found out what meals are gluten free, and then explaining what gluten free is. You may love the attention but I don't.
I Love the scientists who are looking to cure this horrible condition. They understand how bad it is for us who suffer.
glutenfreesucks

White Plains, KY

#20 Aug 18, 2011
I have celiac disease and the thought of a vaccine has me thrilled to say the least! I have constant hypotension, osteoporosis (which I am way too young to have) and seizures due to this illness going undiagnosed for so many years. Despite being very careful with my diet, cross contamination happens!!! Today for instance, I went to get a salad out of the salad bar at the hospital I work at and watched a piece of the salad fall into some noodles, the idiot working there picked it up and put it back into the salad. Yeah, if I would not have saw that happen I would have got very sick. I personally HATE TO COOK (not very good at it either). I would love to just go to a restaurant and eat whatever I want, instead of having to tell the waiter "I have a severe allergy to wheat, barley, rhye and oats" (I know it is not actually an allergy, but for most of the waiters I have had to deal with this is the only word they understand, if I say intolerance many of them get this confused look on their face). So, bring on any help, this diet sucks!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Celiac Disease Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman sues McDonald's on french fries (Feb '06) Oct '16 Martythes 275
News 5 Nutrition Trends Found at NRA Show 2016 Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 4
News Ted Cruz: Soldiers Don't Need Gluten-Free Meals (Feb '16) Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 8
Celiac Disease Help (Feb '16) Jun '16 Victim 3
viagra given to some babies with weak lungs (Mar '16) Apr '16 Travis 3
News Teal pumpkins to make Halloween safe for kids w... (Sep '15) Sep '15 lirebec 1
News The First Superfood (Apr '15) Sep '15 EuniceGalarza 2
More from around the web