Cancer drug Nexavar so good clinical trials end early

Full story: Thecancerblog.com

Cancer drug Nexavar has made its point. It can help people with liver cancer survive longer.
Comments
1 - 20 of 41 Comments Last updated Oct 4, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 05

Bayville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2007

Do Targeted Cancer Drugs Always Work?

The "targets" that the new "smart drugs" go after can be located on the "inside" or "outside" of a cancer cell. The most common targets on the outside are receptors, proteins that help relay chemical messages. And many targets on the inside are enzymes, proteins that help speed up chemical reactions in the body.

What Nexavar, Iressa, Tarceva, Sutent and Tykerb have in common is that they are small molecule drugs. Exciting results have come from studies of multitargeted tyrosine kinase inhibitors, small molecules that act on multiple receptors in the cancerous cells.

Cells are the most basic structure of the body. Cells make up tissues, and tissues make up organs, such as the lungs or liver. Each cell is surrounded by a membrane, a thin layer that separates the outside of the cell from the inside.

For a cell to perform necessary functions for the body and respond to its surroundings, it needs to communicate with other cells in the body. Communication occurs through chemical messages in a process called signal transduction. The purpose of these signals is to tell the cell what to do, such as when to grow, divide into two new cells, and die.

Targeted cancer therapies use drugs that block the growth and spread of cancer by interfering with specific molecules involved in carcinogenesis (the process by which normal cells become cancer cells) and tumor growth. By focusing on molecular and cellular changes that are specific to cancer, targeted cancer therapies may be more effective than current treatments and less harmful to normal cells.

However, monoclonal antibodies are "large" molecules. These very large molecules don't have a convenient way of getting access to the large majority of cells. Plus, there is multicellular resistance, the drugs affecting only the cells on the outside may not kill these cells if they are in contact with cells on the inside, which are protected from the drug. The cells may pass small molecules back and forth.

Even if clinical trials end early, each of these new targeted drugs are not for everybody. The study of cell function analysis tells us that even when the disease is the same type, different patients' tumors respond differently to the same agents. So it doesn't matter if there is a "target" molecule in the cell that the "targeted" drug is going after, if the drug either won't "get in" in the first place or if it gets pumped out/extruded or if it gets immediately metabolized inside the cell, drug resistance is multifactorial.
nancy Friend

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2007

My husband Cal has been on nexavar since last fall and his AFP narker has fallen over 12,000 points. He has been feeling better and has began to eat again, his fatiqe is still a problem but that has even improved. Cal was given a terminal diagnosis in Nov 16th 2005. He has HCC but through prayer,Dr Rath vitamins, carrot juice daily, and now nexavar his good days have been more than his bad days. Cal also suffers from esphofcal varices, Hep C. and cirossis. Is ther any more we can do?

Bayville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2007

Social Support Can Strengthen Tumor Immune Activity

Researchers at the University of Iowa City found a link between psychosocial factors and immune function in cells isolated from human tumors. They noted that ovarian cancer patients with greater social support have stronger natural killer (NK) cell activity in tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) cells, as well as peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC).

To examine the effects of stress on tumor environment, they compared NK cell cytotoxicity (NKCC) in peripheral blood, tumor infitrating lymphocyte (TIL) cells, and ascites in ovarian cancer patients. Peripheral blood was taken before surgery, while TIL and ascites were collected during surgery. In the peripheral blood, the researchers found the NKCC was lower in the cancer patients than in women with benign masses. The ovarian cancer patients had lower NKCC activity in TIL, compared to PBMC (which are critical components of the defense mechanism against infection), and ascites.

After adjustment for cancer stage, stronger social support was related to higher NKCC in TIL and PBMC, while higher distress was tied to lower NKCC in TIL. Psychosocial factors were most strongely tied to NKCC in TIL, and suggests that psychosocial factors may contribute to the robustness of the immune system in tumor environment.

Social support may play a protective role and may be an independent marker of health-related quality of life among cancer patients. Behavioral factors may contribute to disease outcomes.

Dr. Susan K. Lutgendorf, one of the lead authors of the study, said that they will continue to follow patients in the current study to identify relationships among psychosocial factors, immune factors and clinical outcomes.

J Clin Oncol 2005;23:7105-7113
Greg Crummer

Walkerton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2007

My dad has just been diagnosed with liver cancer.
Can we get on the Nexavar therapy in Canada?
Any advice on how I can proceed to get him on this treatment?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated?

Greg
Stephen D

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2007

Nexavar is available by prescription only.

Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in the patient information leaflet. Use Nexavar only as prescribed by your doctor. Do not share your medicine with other people even if they have the same symptoms you have. It may harm them.

I don't know if this will help but I hope so.

The REACHSM Programó Essential Support Is Within REACHSM 1.866.NEXAVAR
Solomon Tesfaye

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2007

I live in Africa and my close family member was recently diagnosed for an advanced HCC and the solution suggested by most physicians was best supportive care.

Will Naxavar be an effective medicine to decrease her mortality and if so is there any way one can get it shipped to Africa?

Any comments will be higly appreciated.
kanta sharma

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2007

how can we get nexavar tablet in india
Ev Montana

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2007

My son has Hodgkin lymphoma (CD 30)he has had it almost 2 years. Will Naxavar help him?
shiraz

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2007

Solomon Tesfaye wrote:
I live in Africa and my close family member was recently diagnosed for an advanced HCC and the solution suggested by most physicians was best supportive care.
Will Naxavar be an effective medicine to decrease her mortality and if so is there any way one can get it shipped to Africa?
Any comments will be higly appreciated.
Solomon, did u ever get an answer on whether Naxavar will help your family member?
Payal

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2007

Can some one tell me where in India I can get Nexavar..pls. do post reply if you know. Thanks.
Raj Menon

Vero Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2007

I don't believe Nexavar is made available in India. You could try asking the Nexavar Reach program (866-883-3177) or Bayer (800-288-8371).
CarrieSimotics

Fairview, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2007

MY father was recently diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. I did some searching and found out about the Nexavar, asked the doctor about it and he starts tomorrow! Sounds like this might be a breakthrough for us.

Vero Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2007

Just be very mindful the eighty extra days that the lastest study on Nexavar and liver cancer found was average for the group, not the "individual" patients treated in the real world. Some may live two-hundred additional days. Some may live two days. What may work in some patients, may not work in other patients. If the roll of the dice turns up only two days, don't think of the drug as ineffective. Think of it as not effective in that particular individual. Perhaps the roll of the dice could turn up two-hundred days. The drug may be effective in that individual, not as a whole.

If a drug works extremely well for a certain percentage of cancer patients, it would be nice to identify which ones. If one drug or another is working for some people (not average populations) then obviously there are others out there who would also benefit. What is needed is to sort out what's the best profile in terms of which patients benefit from this drug or any other drug. Can they be combined? What's the proper way to work with these new drugs?

Every cancer patient should have his/her own unique chemotherapy trial based on consultation of pathogenic profiles and drug sensitivity testing data. Having some foreknowledge of a given agent's expected result before its administration would benefit the "individual" patient.
Ivan

Gold Coast, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2007

can we get nexavar in Australia?
sumant singh

Trinidad and Tobago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

My brother has just been diagnosed with liver cancer which has just spread from his GIST condition. I have been following nexavar as a potent medication for liver cancer.
Does anyone know if this medication is available in Trinidad, West Indies? Are there any organization that assist in sourcing this medication.
Essy

Israel

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2007

My father has been diagnosed with RCC cancer. Both of his kidneys were removed and he is now a Dialysis patient. He recently started taking Nexavar (about a week ago), and has been suffering from serious side effects such as bad itching (mostly in the head) and swelling up in the face. His blood presure is also extremely high. He decided to stop taking Nexavar this mormimg. My question is this; Will the side effects keep being as serious as now or does it just take time to get used to this drug?
Any comments will be highly appreciated!
Jenna

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2007

Ivan wrote:
can we get nexavar in Australia?
I am currently working towards getting Nexavar, I am 18 and have advanced liver cancer. I live in QLD, not sure if I have the approval yet, but I think it's definitely worth a shot as no other chemo treatments have been found to help with primary liver cancer.
Sue

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

Essy wrote:
My father has been diagnosed with RCC cancer. Both of his kidneys were removed and he is now a Dialysis patient. He recently started taking Nexavar (about a week ago), and has been suffering from serious side effects such as bad itching (mostly in the head) and swelling up in the face. His blood presure is also extremely high. He decided to stop taking Nexavar this mormimg. My question is this; Will the side effects keep being as serious as now or does it just take time to get used to this drug?
Any comments will be highly appreciated!
Hi, I have been using Nexavar for 2 months now. I notice the symptoms come and go for about 2 weeks. I had the redness and itchiness all over, then blisters on feet, then sore joints, then hair loss. But each symptom lasted two weeks then the next would show up. I felt I could handle it as long as they didn't hit all at once. The only symptom that lasts forever is stomach upset. Nausea meds help. The latest is my feet are peeling on the bottom, I hope that means the same is happening to my tumor. Good luck with your dad.
Sue

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

Also, my liver cancer is bile ducts and primary liver cancer. The tumor is in both left and right lobe about 10 cm across. So I can't have surgery, I did have chemo-embolization and now Nexavar. I'm waiting for the latest CT results to see if anything happened to the tumor. I am 50 with 2 young kids age 9 and 14.
Is Nexavar cheaper

New Delhi, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

Is Nexavar cheaper anywhere in the World As we ar not in the position to pay this big amount of 250000-320000 (Rs) and My uncle need it urgently

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ECAU like free money Aug 17 Stock tip 1
Cleveland Clinic to build new $276M cancer center Aug 17 Fishingthelakes 1
King of Vietnamese ballads music struggles with... Aug 9 bach dang 2
If youa re African American, learn about this s... Aug 6 Hater Of Cave Bit... 3
Secondhand smoke as harmful to pets as people Jul '14 Hank 4
Malaria Cultivation Cure Jul '14 Slumber Linx 5
B17 Treatment Jul '14 Apricot Curiosity 1

Search the Cancer Forum:
•••