Uncovering the secrets behind lung cancer

Dec 28, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The ReView of Jones County

If you think lung cancer only affects smokers, you're not alone. Many people believe this, but the truth is, anyone can get lung cancer.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
soundsmagic

Melton, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

l have recently been diagnosed with COPD. Female and 54 years of age. l had smoked for 35 years. Nicotine is incredibly addictive and finally with the help of Champix tablets from my doctor l have stopped smoking. I go to the gym 3 times a week to improve my lung capacity and general health. My mum died from emphesema at the age of 59yrs, a slow and horrible death. As once being a smoker we will find any reason to justify why we smoke or the stupidity of thinking it won't happen to me, maybe the risk of getting sick will jump a generation. l have four adult children two of my children smoke, despite me warning them they continue to smoke. If you are a smoker please please consider stopping. Sure you feel well now and yes you love having your cigarette with a coffee or a drink, but what if in 5years or less your doctor say's you have COPD or worse what then? TRY, HAVE A GO, If not for you your children, your grandchildren, your family. FOR YOU!!
ItsAFact

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

soundsmagic wrote:
l have recently been diagnosed with COPD. Female and 54 years of age. l had smoked for 35 years. Nicotine is incredibly addictive and finally with the help of Champix tablets from my doctor l have stopped smoking. I go to the gym 3 times a week to improve my lung capacity and general health. My mum died from emphesema at the age of 59yrs, a slow and horrible death. As once being a smoker we will find any reason to justify why we smoke or the stupidity of thinking it won't happen to me, maybe the risk of getting sick will jump a generation. l have four adult children two of my children smoke, despite me warning them they continue to smoke. If you are a smoker please please consider stopping. Sure you feel well now and yes you love having your cigarette with a coffee or a drink, but what if in 5years or less your doctor say's you have COPD or worse what then? TRY, HAVE A GO, If not for you your children, your grandchildren, your family. FOR YOU!!
People don't have to smoke or be exposed to tobacco smoke to get COPD, Cancer, or Heart Disease. Sorry for your problems but your not helping anyone on this thread by posting off topic.
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

ItsAFact wrote:
<quoted text>People don't have to smoke or be exposed to tobacco smoke to get COPD...
"Approximately 85 to 90 percent of COPD deaths are caused by smoking."

http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/resourc...
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

ItsAFact wrote:
<quoted text>People don't have to smoke or be exposed to tobacco smoke to get ... Cancer...

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/...
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

ItsAFact wrote:
<quoted text>People don't have to smoke or be exposed to tobacco smoke to get ... Cancer...
"The risk of developing lung cancer is about 23 times higher among men who smoke cigarettes and about 13 times higher among women who smoke cigarettes compared with never smokers."

Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

ItsAFact wrote:
<quoted text>People don't have to smoke or be exposed to tobacco smoke to get ... Heart Disease...
"Cigarette smokers are 24 times more likely to develop coronary heart disease than nonsmokers."

Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

ItsAFact wrote:
<quoted text>...your not helping anyone on this thread by posting off topic.
Tell us who you are helping by posting your half-truths and insults? Smoking kills people in a variety of ways. You seem to have devoted your life to trying to minimize that fact. Why? Is it because you are a cigarette addict who is unwilling to face the obvious truth?
confederate1989

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/resourc...
Adenoviruses Cause COPD

Meanwhile, the central investigator in many studies of adenoviruses and COPD, James C. Hogg, MD, of St. Paul's Hospital and professor of pathology at the ...
www.smokershistory.com/adencopd.htm - Cached - SimilarAcute and latent adenovirus in COPD - Elsevierby TE McManus - 2007 - Cited by 2 - Related articles
Nucleic acid extraction was performed on sputum specimens from patients with COPD. Copy numbers for GAPDH, and adenovirus 5 E1A DNA and mRNA were determined ...
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0954611... * Latent Adenovirus Infection in COPDby S Hayashi - 2002 - Cited by 24 - Related articles
Key words: adenovirus; COPD; latent infection; viral DNA. Abbreviations:.... from patients with COPD carries more group C adenoviral ...
chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/121/5_supp...
confederate1989

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
"Cigarette smokers are 24 times more likely to develop coronary heart disease than nonsmokers."
From the CDC's own estimates, http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm56... here's who gets heart disease:
Coronary heart disease: Current Smokers 29.3% Former smokers 31.8% Never smokers 38.9%
Stroke: Current smokers 30,1%, Former smokers 23% Never smokers 47%

So current smokers who also breathe their own second hand smoke and everyone else's since they don't avoid smoke laden places get less heart disease than never smokers?
confederate1989

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us who you are helping by posting your half-truths and insults? Smoking kills people in a variety of ways. You seem to have devoted your life to trying to minimize that fact. Why? Is it because you are a cigarette addict who is unwilling to face the obvious truth?
CREATED and INVENTED truths you say!

JOINT STATEMENT ON THE RE-ASSESSMENT OF THE TOXICOLOGICAL TESTING OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS"
7 October, the COT meeting on 26 October and the COC meeting on 18
November 2004.

http://cot.food.gov.uk/pdfs/cotstatementtobac...

"5. The Committees commented that tobacco smoke was a highly complex chemical mixture and that the causative agents for smoke induced diseases (such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, effects on reproduction and on offspring) was unknown. The mechanisms by which tobacco induced adverse effects were not established. The best information related to tobacco smoke - induced lung cancer, but even in this instance a detailed mechanism was not available. The Committees therefore agreed that on the basis of current knowledge it would be very difficult to identify a toxicological testing strategy or a biomonitoring approach for use in volunteer studies with smokers where the end-points determined or biomarkers measured were predictive of the overall burden of tobacco-induced adverse disease."

In other words ... our first hand smoke theory is so lame we can't even design a bogus lab experiment to prove it. In fact ... we don't even know how tobacco does all of the magical things we claim it does.

The greatest threat to the second hand theory is the weakness of the first hand theory.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

confederate1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
CREATED and INVENTED truths you say!
JOINT STATEMENT ON THE RE-ASSESSMENT OF THE TOXICOLOGICAL TESTING OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS"
7 October, the COT meeting on 26 October and the COC meeting on 18
November 2004.
http://cot.food.gov.uk/pdfs/cotstatementtobac...
"5. The Committees commented that tobacco smoke was a highly complex chemical mixture and that the causative agents for smoke induced diseases (such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, effects on reproduction and on offspring) was unknown. The mechanisms by which tobacco induced adverse effects were not established. The best information related to tobacco smoke - induced lung cancer, but even in this instance a detailed mechanism was not available. The Committees therefore agreed that on the basis of current knowledge it would be very difficult to identify a toxicological testing strategy or a biomonitoring approach for use in volunteer studies with smokers where the end-points determined or biomarkers measured were predictive of the overall burden of tobacco-induced adverse disease."
In other words ... our first hand smoke theory is so lame we can't even design a bogus lab experiment to prove it. In fact ... we don't even know how tobacco does all of the magical things we claim it does.
The greatest threat to the second hand theory is the weakness of the first hand theory.
If you were actually smart enough to understand the whole study instead of an inbred offspring of an illegal relationship between brother and sister you would see that they were saying that smoking DOES cause cancer and that reducing the amounts of specific carcinogens in a LIGHT cigarette really do nothing because there are so many other things in cigarette smoke that do cause cancer.

By the way, I am glad that you smoke. I hope you continue to smoke lots and lots. Maybe one day, you too, will get lung cancer that was not caused by smoking- according to you unlucky sacks of shtt smokers, that happens a lot, which accounts for all of the additiobnal lung cancers in smokers.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

confederate1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
From the CDC's own estimates, http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm56... here's who gets heart disease:
Coronary heart disease: Current Smokers 29.3% Former smokers 31.8% Never smokers 38.9%
So current smokers who also breathe their own second hand smoke and everyone else's since they don't avoid smoke laden places get less heart disease than never smokers?
Damn. Brother and sister relationships never work out. The lead to mental retardation, which is quite evident in your case. When 21% of the population smokes and they account for 30.1% of the strokes, that is a pretty damning figure. I don't expect you to understand statistics and a stroke is something that you will never have to worry about as you do not have enough working brain cells anyways to be destroyed should you actually have a stroke. NO ONE would notice the difference.
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

confederate1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
The part of this that you don't seem understand is that never smokers are a much larger group than smokers and former smokers. For example, current smokers make up only 20% of the population, but they get 30% of the strokes. Understand now?

Here's a quote from the article you cited: "Cigarette smoking remains the leading preventable cause of disease and death in the United States, resulting in approximately 438,000 deaths annually."

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm56...
confederate1989

Summer Shade, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

It says just what it says,they have absolutely no proof smoking causes anything in anyone.......That covers everything after 110 years of making claims they have no proof at all. You can think it causes all you want,but without toxicological evidence marking end points to disease causation there is NO PROOF! I know you find that hard to swallow after drinking the nazi koolaide all your life but thats just how it is.

Those 400,000 deaths are all statistical magic from the governments SAMMAC computer in D.C...

No names just magical claims. Death certificates have a block for tobacco related, the ACS had that put on them in various states for more magical claims. If the decendant smoked at all in their life its marked.......no proof required ehh!
confederate1989

Summer Shade, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
The part of this that you don't seem understand is that never smokers are a much larger group than smokers and former smokers. For example, current smokers make up only 20% of the population, but they get 30% of the strokes. Understand now?
Here's a quote from the article you cited: "Cigarette smoking remains the leading preventable cause of disease and death in the United States, resulting in approximately 438,000 deaths annually."
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm56...
It shows everyone gets strokes and you dont even have to smoke to get one..........btw stroke is defined as NATURAL DEATH!
confederate1989

Summer Shade, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Bud Schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were actually smart enough to understand the whole study instead of an inbred offspring of an illegal relationship between brother and sister you would see that they were saying that smoking DOES cause cancer and that reducing the amounts of specific carcinogens in a LIGHT cigarette really do nothing because there are so many other things in cigarette smoke that do cause cancer.
By the way, I am glad that you smoke. I hope you continue to smoke lots and lots. Maybe one day, you too, will get lung cancer that was not caused by smoking- according to you unlucky sacks of shtt smokers, that happens a lot, which accounts for all of the additiobnal lung cancers in smokers.
If its not labelled carcinogenic it would make no diference........thats the point.The matter really comes down to one's own genetic predisposition to getting cancer not what they inhale..........They still cant prove anything theyve labelled a carcinogen as actually causing cancer its why they label them in classes......The only thing PROVEN to causes cell disruption and turn cancerous is high levels of radiation exposure and thats a lot mrems!
confederate1989

Summer Shade, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Arsenic - in all our drinking water. According to EPA, 10ppb is "safe" to drink.
Benzene - Everyone is exposed to a small amount of benzene every day. Vapors (or gases) from products that contain benzene, such as glues, paints, furniture wax, and detergents, can also be a source of exposure. Auto exhaust and industrial emissions account for about 20% of the total national exposure to benzene.
Cadmium - some paints, plastics, and metal solders. Some metal containers, such as ice cube trays, pitchers, or bowls can contain small amounts of cadmium. Ceramicware also can contain some cadmium. The principal industries that use cadmium are metal smelting, electronics, nuclear power, paint pigment production, and other metal working and refining companies.
Cadmium is found naturally in small quantities in air, water, and soil. Since cadmium is a metal, it does not break down and can accumulate over time. Burning household or industrial waste and burning coal or oil may release cadmium into the air. Cadmium also can be released from car exhaust, metal processing industries, battery and paint manufacturing, and waste hauling and disposal activities.

Shall I go on do you concede that these chemicals are found in our everyday environment? Where is your outrage to make sure these chemicals are totally eliminated everywhere? If they're harmful, why are you only eliminating them in tobacco smoke? Seems there are bigger exposures elsewhere where you could make a bigger impact.
confederate1989

Summer Shade, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

The U.S. national annual background dose for humans is approximately 360 mrem. A mrem, or millirem, is a standard measure of radiation dose. Examples of radiation doses from common medical procedures are:

Chest x-ray (14 x 17 inch area)- 15 mrem

Dental x-ray (3 inch diameter area)- 300 mrem

Spinal x-ray (14 x 17 inch area)- 300 mrem

Thyroid uptake study 28,000 mrem to the thyroid

Thyroid oblation - 18,000,000 mrem to the thyroid

Average Annual Total
361 mrem/year

Tobacco (If You Smoke, Add ~ 280 mrem)

Not quite 1 dental xray for a whole years smoking ehh!

or

Thyroid oblation - 18,000,000 mrem to the thyroid /shrinking the thyroid

Tobacco (If You Smoke, Add ~ 280 mrem)

18,000,000 / 280 = roughly 64,000 years of equivalent years of smoking!

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/rp/factsheets/facts...

http://www.doh.wa.gov/portals/1/Documents/Pub...
confederate1989

North Olmsted, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

BTW... Did I tell you what I got my mom for Christmas?

Pregnant

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

confederate1989 wrote:
<quoted text>
If its not labelled carcinogenic it would make no diference........thats the point.The matter really comes down to one's own genetic predisposition to getting cancer not what they inhale..........They still cant prove anything theyve labelled a carcinogen as actually causing cancer its why they label them in classes......The only thing PROVEN to causes cell disruption and turn cancerous is high levels of radiation exposure and thats a lot mrems!
Keep doing two things:
1. Keep telling yourself that smoking is safe.
2. Keep smoking. Whatever you do, keep smoking.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cancer Discussions

Search the Cancer Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Dress codes: Where should schools set limits? Wed David 4
Ala. doctors explain high Medicare reimbursements Apr 14 Anonymous 1
Malaria Cultivation Cure Apr 11 Walter Harold Marlin 2
Disease-free survival estimates for ovarian can... Apr 8 AIPAC is sicko 2
a thread for cancer patients(experience and sug... Apr 6 Cancer causes 3
Health chiefs remind Halton men about cancer aw... Apr 6 Halton Cancer cause 1
Douglas is right: Sex, cancer connected (Jun '13) Mar 31 lawyers gone wild 3
•••
•••