Gastric surgery puts obese patients a...

Gastric surgery puts obese patients and insurance industry at odds

There are 97 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 31, 2007, titled Gastric surgery puts obese patients and insurance industry at odds. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

If you smoked a pack of cigarettes every day for 20 years, you might develop lung cancer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Pam

AOL

#2 Dec 31, 2007
Don't agree with you there! It is the same as smoking illness's. People can also quit smoking.
okw

Orlando, FL

#3 Dec 31, 2007
Key words - "self inflicted". Smoking is more self inflicted than obesity, as some obesity is hereditary. Only problem is rate of relapse - lose the weight then gain it all back -then what?
mrjx

Anderson, SC

#5 Dec 31, 2007
This is absolutely absurd! Not the fact that insurance companies won't pay for this surgery but the fact that people are upst about it! There is a clear cut cure for obesity that doesn't cost a dime...it's called Will Power!
People are looking for the quick fix and the least amount of work to compensate for their self indulgent behavior. Obesity is not a disease, it is a self imposed condition as a result of irresponsible behavior. Don't make the Overweight the newest victim in our society, instead hold them accountable for their choices. www.ourtownreport.com
Libertarian

United States

#6 Dec 31, 2007
AGREED! I'm familiar with several ladies who had the surgery; none of them were "medically necessary." Only one of the ladies made even small changes to her diet. The others eat as much crap as they did before; with corresponding results. It WAS/IS mainly cosmetic! It is time for insurance to return to its roots! Stop using my premiums to pay for this surgery, viagara, birth control, fertility drugs,...
Grandma Fudd

Oviedo, FL

#7 Dec 31, 2007
I love reading all the "expert" answers about obesity from people who aren't obese, never were obese.
When you are born, your genetic propensity for being at a certain weight when you reach a ccertain age is all dialed in. Obese people generally (of course thete are always exceptions) don't eat much more or different than slim people. The difference may lie in activity, in their lifestyle, job, marital status, etc. but the concept of an obese person shoving down two pizzas followed by a gallon of ice cream and a whole pie are absurdly exaggerted. Secondly, when one diets, the weight drops off sharply for the first couple of weeks but then the body says in effect"Well, if all you are going to give me is this many calories, I will adjust to that amount and do just fine" and the person hits a sudden plateau from which it may take another drastic drop in intake and increase in exercise to drop again. The body readjusts a 2nd time and now sets a plateau. Dieting works best for the young and first time dieters but particularly it is very ineffectve for older women in general despite near starvation and daily exercise. The kicker too is the minute you regain normal activity and eating, your weight "Yo - Yo's" right back maybe to more than when you began dieting. Older dieters for surgery, etc. need to use drugs to curb the appetite and have careful supervision weekly and the diets they go on are draconian to produce any real results.( e.g. The Cookie diet clinics ) 1200 calorie intake average. I've done it all. Weight Watchers, Nutri-System, Cookie Clinic. All work but my body has a set weight and it is like pressing a pendulum and holding it against one side of the clock. When you release it, it goes back to its center. Don't try and tell me or anyone else about "will power" like we're stuffing our faces all the time. Obese people eat about the same as you do but what happens in your little fired up metabolic system and my old oven are two different things Twinky.
CSP

Memphis, TN

#8 Dec 31, 2007
People who don't smoke and keep their body fat/weight within healthy limits should get STEEP discounts on their health insurance. Wouldn't that be a great incentive to lose weight?

It's self control. Just like the alcoholic or drug abuser...they were not born with a beer in their hand or cocaine up their nose.

“Nakedness reveals itself”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9 Dec 31, 2007
CSP wrote:
People who don't smoke and keep their body fat/weight within healthy limits should get STEEP discounts on their health insurance. Wouldn't that be a great incentive to lose weight?
It's self control. Just like the alcoholic or drug abuser...they were not born with a beer in their hand or cocaine up their nose.
I agree, It would give most a reason to want to live a healthier life style. I don't think that insurers should stop paying for these conditions b/c even though some people cause there own conditions, many can not afford the treatments and they shouldn't just be left to die.
questions

Leesburg, FL

#10 Dec 31, 2007
Grandma Fudd wrote:
I love reading all the "expert" answers about obesity from people who aren't obese, never were obese.
When you are born, your genetic propensity for being at a certain weight when you reach a ccertain age is all dialed in. Obese people generally (of course thete are always exceptions) don't eat much more or different than slim people. The difference may lie in activity, in their lifestyle, job, marital status, etc. but the concept of an obese person shoving down two pizzas followed by a gallon of ice cream and a whole pie are absurdly exaggerted. Secondly, when one diets, the weight drops off sharply for the first couple of weeks but then the body says in effect"Well, if all you are going to give me is this many calories, I will adjust to that amount and do just fine" and the person hits a sudden plateau from which it may take another drastic drop in intake and increase in exercise to drop again. The body readjusts a 2nd time and now sets a plateau. Dieting works best for the young and first time dieters but particularly it is very ineffectve for older women in general despite near starvation and daily exercise. The kicker too is the minute you regain normal activity and eating, your weight "Yo - Yo's" right back maybe to more than when you began dieting. Older dieters for surgery, etc. need to use drugs to curb the appetite and have careful supervision weekly and the diets they go on are draconian to produce any real results.( e.g. The Cookie diet clinics ) 1200 calorie intake average. I've done it all. Weight Watchers, Nutri-System, Cookie Clinic. All work but my body has a set weight and it is like pressing a pendulum and holding it against one side of the clock. When you release it, it goes back to its center. Don't try and tell me or anyone else about "will power" like we're stuffing our faces all the time. Obese people eat about the same as you do but what happens in your little fired up metabolic system and my old oven are two different things Twinky.
Poison in the foods. there were studies done on rats and monkeys using msg to fatten them up. They now put msg in our food supply and hide it from those trying to avoid it.Some people are more affected than others. Many believe our obesity epidemic is caused by our food supply.http://www.truthinlabel ing.org/obesityepidemic.html
questions

Leesburg, FL

#11 Dec 31, 2007
They starred out monkeys
Robin Q

Ithaca, NY

#13 Dec 31, 2007
I had gastric bypass surgery March 13, 2007. Before the surgery I weighed 283 lbs. Within less than 1 year, I am now down to 160lbs and I feel great. It is a life altering change. No more pizza, no more macaroni and cheese, no more pasta and noodles. But for me that is ok...I can deal with it. Just knowing that I am so much more healthy is worht it for me.
Not So Big Jim

Winter Haven, FL

#15 Dec 31, 2007
I had the Lap-Band surgery in October. I follow the eating regiment strictly because I am disciplined. My obesity is genetically predisposed but I take responsibility as well. My weight has yo-yoed since I was in my mid-20's. Atkins, jogging, weight watchers, smoking...I even took medications to lose weight that worked well...until I stopped taking them. Then I'd slowly gain back what I lost and more for good measure.
The issue is that I reached a point that my health was being seriously affected by my weight even at my age! I have now gone from 352 to 280, and being a tall man it not only shows, but my health has improved considerably! I am no longer on high blood pressure meds and anticipate being cured of sleep apnea within a few months! I have 50 more to drop to be at my personal ideal weight and to STAY there. I have yet to need a band adjustment! I am still amazed that for the little bit that I eat, that I am satisfied and feel GREAT!
BTW - I paid for the surgery out of my own pocket. I am not a wealthy man, either.
People eat for all sorts of reasons and people gain weight for all sorts of reasons. We are the fattest generation so far and look at the size of our children! Things look bleak as long as the food industry continues marketing for profit rather than for nutrition.
This surgery has helped me control my hunger. It is not a magic fix. I weigh my 5 ounces of food at each of my three meals per day.(I get 5 ounces because of my height)I do not snack, I do not drink 30 min before, during or until 30 min after I eat. Food is no longer my focus but has become a necessary function for sustaining my bodily functions. Many times I find that having to stop to eat interferes with my plans! I never thought I'd be saying that before!
observer

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#16 Dec 31, 2007
CSP wrote:
I think that would be a great idea. But there probably would be lots of loopholes. There would always be that one exception who could document that their weight problem was a result of some other medical condition beyond their control.
questions

Leesburg, FL

#18 Dec 31, 2007
Robin Q wrote:
<quoted text>Fantasy, its not a matter of self control. I never stuffed myself and i exercised regularly but was still unable to lose the weight until surgery. I was a single mother of 5 and sometimes I didnt eat because I had only enough food for my kids. So, what you are saying is just wrong and is very hurtful
People like the last poster have a need to feel superior. There is clearly something going on today causing many people to be overweight. Simplifying it down to self control is not changing anything.People have an aversion to being heavy. They did a study of children and folks with disabilities. The children picked obesity last, as a disability they would be able to live with.It is the only disability that is ok to bash. When we are poisoning our food supply with additives known to cause obesity in animals it is no wonder many people are obese.Don't pay attention to the snobs who think they are superior because they have not been affected yet. When people have an allergic reaction to penicillin we don't make fun of them, we change their meds. We should do the same with our foods.
ABC

Bradenton, FL

#19 Dec 31, 2007
Do some research, folks. Over HALF of gastric bypass procedures FAIL in 5 years because the stomach stretches out again and those people do NOT change their lifestyles. It's yet another quick fix--when everyone knows there are no quick fixes. Lifestyle change and exercise is the only way to lose weight and keep it off, but that's just too hard for people with no self control. For once I actually agree with the insurance companies on something.
Now it's time for them to give me a discount for quitting smoking and exercising several times a week.
Margaritanlime

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#21 Dec 31, 2007
Grandma Fudd wrote:
Bravo Grandma. Couldn't have said it better.
C Fuller

Dallas, TX

#22 Dec 31, 2007
I had the surgery done two years a go .I lost about 130 # i have a lot more energy and can walk a lot better. I have arthuritis in both knees also in lower back.I have cut my medication in half.
BLANTONA1

Winter Garden, FL

#23 Dec 31, 2007
Here is the issue. While there are SOME who fall into the genetic/medical issues of obesity, they are very few and far in between. If you read the research, you will find that those few can be tested along with family members and a genetic source can be traced. Unfortuantely, many use that small percentage as an example of their lack of power to control their own bodies and it simply is untrue for most. For example to say that your entire family is overweight or obese to prove that genetics are a factor is incorrect. In most cases an entire family is overweight/obese simply because of poor eating habits that are learned behaviors. Mothers who use food as rewards, people use food for comfort, food being used to gauge behavior.....(be good and clean your plate) etc. Couple that with the fact that very few restrict high fat, processed foods and portions, so we have fat people.

As for the "I don't eat anymore than you do" theory, that has been debunked as well. In study after study when an obese persons eating habits and caloric intake was strictly observed and measured it was shown that those being studied introduce a massive amount of calories per day, and MOST do not even realize how much they consume. Many eat out of habit or boredom and fail to realize just how much they eat. And in many case it isn't even how much you eat, but WHAT you eat. I guarantee you can eat a bushel of broccoli and not gain the weight you will gain from a couple pieces of cake, a bag of chips or a super size meal. Just an example of quality not quantity making a difference. I also guarantee the broccoli will FILL you just as much as the Bic Mac.

This or any surgery should be limited to those who have proven that they truly have a medical/genetic issue which prevents them from losing weight. It should also be required that psychological, nutritional and lifestyle changes are implimented and adhered to.....and no that does not mean 6 hours of counseling.

For those comparing smoking.....ok I'll bite, when was the last time you heard of a smoker who had a surgery that costs THOUSANDS of dollars to tie off part of their lungs, mouth or throat to prevent them from smoking?

Fact is people have gotten lazy and want a quick fix to every problem. While shutting half your stomach off may indeed prevent you from overindulging for awhile, it is not a CURE and without the proper lifestyle changes.....once again you will be overweight....what will you do then?

Sorry for the book, but due to my family history, this is a subject near and dear.
Common-sense

Fort Myers, FL

#24 Dec 31, 2007
If insurance companies including Medicare and Medicaid invested in preventing obesity by allowing visits to Dieticians and psychologists (to improve self esteem); they can morally deny bypass surgeries. Unfortunately, they cover neither effectively i.e. preventing- in kids nor treat obesity.
CSP

Memphis, TN

#25 Dec 31, 2007
Actuality wrote:
<quoted text>
It is oh so easy for a naturally thin person to be critical of people who are obese. I've seen men and women who could eat and drink me under the table that never gained an ouence. Life isn't always fair, and we all aren't dealt the same bodies or metabolisms or genes. Unless and until you have walked in the shoes of a person who has fought obesity since they were adolescents, don't make judgements. You aren't qualified to speak.
I am in my 40's, 5'5", 124 lbs. Yes, I am qualified to speak by example, that regular exercise and keeping your caloric intake within normal requirements prevents obesity.
Meg

Washington, DC

#26 Dec 31, 2007
Grandma Fudd wrote:
Go watch "The Biggest Loser" and you will find that just about everything you wrote is a long, wordy EXCUSE.

About 10% of the overall population had medical problems of some type which disallows weight loss. The rest, what they "inherit" is the same lousy eating and exercise habits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alert to Women: What Your Doctor Prescribed for... (Apr '08) Nov 13 Docht99 5
News A look at the latest on breast cancer detection... Oct '17 MichaelLWagner 1
News Vault Arts Collective sets fundraiser for artis... Sep '17 bsrick 1
News 'I Thought My Dark Skin Protected Me From Melan... Sep '17 Paul 4
News "Code Blue" Equals Lower Survival for Cancer Pa... Aug '17 Bovenzi13 1
News VP Joe Biden Set for In-Depth Interview with NB... (Jun '16) Jul '17 Operator NumberTwo 4
News Senator McCain returning to Arizona for cancer ... Jul '17 Retribution 2
More from around the web