Scientists test 5,000 combinations of 100 existing cancer drugs to find more effective treatments

There are 1 comment on the Nov 6, 2012, Science Daily story titled Scientists test 5,000 combinations of 100 existing cancer drugs to find more effective treatments. In it, Science Daily reports that:

Dr Susan Holbeck , a biologist in the Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis at the National Cancer Institute will tell the 24th EORTC-NCI-AACR [1] Symposium on Molecular Targets and Cancer Therapeutics in Dublin, Ireland, that she and her colleagues have completed testing the 100 drugs, with 300,000 experiments to test the 5000 possible drug ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Science Daily.

Since: Dec 05

Reading, PA

#1 Nov 27, 2012
The application of combination therapy may represent one of the most important applications of the functional cytometric profiling platform, enabling clinicians to explore both anticipated and unanticipated favorable interactions.

Equally important may be the platform's capacity to study drug antagonism wherein two effective drugs counteract each others' benefits. This phenomenon, characterized by the whole being less than the sum of the parts, represents a major pitfall for clinical trialists who simply combine drugs because they can.

These analyses are revolutionizing the way functional cytometric profiling applies newer classes of drugs and has the potential to accelerate drug development and clinical therapeutics. Good outcomes require good drugs, but better outcomes require good combinations. Intelligent combinations are a principle focus of functional cytometric profiling.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Apr 21 Schmones 17
News To battle cancer, choose oncologist with care (May '08) Apr 11 VoteJoe 31
News Many cancer survivors have unmet physical, ment... Apr 10 _Learsi 1
how i get rid of my cancer with the use of herb... Apr 10 flora rufer 1
News African-American cancer patients' depression sy... Apr 2 31 years an RN 2
News Chicago's retired Cardinal George readmitted to... Mar 30 ILLEGAL TINT 1
News Oakville's Max Khan had battled leukemia severa... Mar 29 Lymphoma Cancer 1
More from around the web