Angela Howard | Carrollton Free Press...

Angela Howard | Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor

There are 118 comments on the Carrollton Free Press Standard story from Apr 11, 2012, titled Angela Howard | Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor. In it, Carrollton Free Press Standard reports that:

To the Editor: The class of 2012 deserves some recognition for all of their support and compassion for a fellow student who will not be permitted to participate in graduation ceremonies in May.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carrollton Free Press Standard.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Maria Crowell

Huron, OH

#103 Apr 16, 2012
I worked with Teresa when she went through the second round with cancer. I saw her many days in pain from radiation burns, dog tired ,but always smiling for the customers. I know she loves her children and talked often about them. I met Austin and saw how much he loves his mom and what a responsible young man he was even then. I remember Teresa saying when she was diagnosed with IV stage lung cancer that she had set the goal of seeing him graduate. My heart breaks that that may not be, but I know hers has to swelling with love and pride for the man he has become. She raised him well! I say let him walk and congratulations on a job well done by both of them. love you and miss you.
ARES

United States

#104 Apr 16, 2012
Name game? Really? With all do respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all do respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and dolphin gettin' it on. As a coach, I will be the first one to whole heartily admit that I play favorites. I simply favor the best players! Let me explain to you how the "name game" works in Carrollton. Let's talk about one of the starting football players on the Carrollton football team. According to your misguided post, it would take a "name" to get ahead. The name that I want to talk about is "DOBRIJEVIC". If you know ANYTHING about Carrollton, you know that Dobrijevic is not a Carrollton "name". Heck, Dobrijevic is a name that originates from Serbia, but yet he gets to start on the varsity football team in Carrollton. The only explanation that can explain this "anomaly" (according to you) is that he is simply one of the most athletic kids on the team. If you know any thing about high school sports, and it seems you don't, you would know that coaches want to WIN. In order to have a chance to win, you must play your best players. The "name game" simply can't play a role in that equation. Dobrijevic is just one example. Another example that I can give to DESTROY the "name game" theory is Jimmy Funk. Again if you know anything about Carrollton, you would also know that Funk is not a "name" in Carrollton. Even though he didn't have a "name" Jimmy Funk started on the 2004 NBC team and then went on to get a full ride to Seton Hill University. Even though this fact DESTROYS your "name game" theory, it is true. Funk was able to do all of this because he was big, tough, and athletic. His "not-so-name" had nothing to do with his success. In the future, please refrain from using theories that have been debunked. It just makes you look silly.
ARES

United States

#105 Apr 16, 2012
Nate wrote:
For everyone arguing that Austin should have "called or notified the school," as a student, and a minor, he is not allowed to call himself off. But, I'm sure his mother was feeling completely up to making that phone call, along with the other phone calls and/or other situations I'm sure she needed to take care of as well (sarcasm, for anyone who missed it).
Also, remember, Carrollton is a small town, with "small town name games" being played almost daily.Don't believe me? Just ask Mr. Dave Davis, CHS principal, how his niece was able to miss more than 30 days worth of school, to go spend time with her boyfriend in another state? This is widely known, as the niece has posted on public media about her visits, and how her family claimed that she had "family emergencies" to deal with. Ah, wait, family emergency, isn't that what one would consider stage IV cancer in a PARENT to be?
Feel free to bite my head off, I know some will, but anyone who as ever attended Carrollton Schools, knows that the name game happens, and if you don't fall into the right "clique" you don't get all the great benefits.
Let the judgmental comments begin.:)
Name game? Really? With all do respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all do respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and dolphin gettin' it on. As a coach, I will be the first one to whole heartily admit that I play favorites. I simply favor the best players! Let me explain to you how the "name game" works in Carrollton. Let's talk about one of the starting football players on the Carrollton football team. According to your misguided post, it would take a "name" to get ahead. The name that I want to talk about is "DOBRIJEVIC". If you know ANYTHING about Carrollton, you know that Dobrijevic is not a Carrollton "name". Heck, Dobrijevic is a name that originates from Serbia, but yet he gets to start on the varsity football team in Carrollton. The only explanation that can explain this "anomaly" (according to you) is that he is simply one of the most athletic kids on the team. If you know any thing about high school sports, and it seems you don't, you would know that coaches want to WIN. In order to have a chance to win, you must play your best players. The "name game" simply can't play a role in that equation. Dobrijevic is just one example. Another example that I can give to DESTROY the "name game" theory is Jimmy Funk. Again if you know anything about Carrollton, you would also know that Funk is not a "name" in Carrollton. Even though he didn't have a "name" Jimmy Funk started on the 2004 NBC team and then went on to get a full ride to Seton Hill University. Even though this fact DESTROYS your "name game" theory, it is true. Funk was able to do all of this because he was big, tough, and athletic. His "not-so-name" had nothing to do with his success. In the future, please refrain from using theories that have been debunked. It just makes you look silly.
USMarine1967

Tualatin, OR

#106 Apr 17, 2012
A Vet wrote:
I never implied I knew everything about the situation, read my earlier post. I was just putting in gerneral logic. So why don't we leave it up to the school to sort it out.
Hello, the problem IS with letting the school sort this out! They blew it and now they are going to have to answer to not only the people of Carrollton, but the entire Nation. Semper Fi.
USMarine1967

Tualatin, OR

#107 Apr 17, 2012
Bullship wrote:
I work at the school and it is pretty much goes by the book. They try to help every student graduate and if they deserve an extra look they get it. The personnel in the guidance office are true professional, informing students and parents where their child stands. They give them all the alternatives to be eligible to graduate. Nate unless you are there when decisions are made then you don't know jack.
Professionals? Looks real proffessional to me. That is why this is the most reviewed story on MSNBC. Sometimes going by the book is the absolutely WRONG way to go. Who wrote the book? I may not know Jack either but I sure know Bullship when I see it. Like you said, you work there. Maybe that is the problem. A little too deep in the forest to see the trees?
USMarine1967

Tualatin, OR

#108 Apr 17, 2012
ARES wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey coach, with all due respect, how long did you play without that helmet? Coach, that would be a NAME given to one that works for the school and GAMES are your stock and trade. Is that right? Seems lots of you folks working at the school have a lot to say right now. Dave isn't saying too much about his niece though, is he? Seems the problem in Carrollton High runs a bit deeper than just the Administration. Is the floor shiny in the Gym Coach? Good, that is one person Carrollton High should keep, they are doing there job. The School Board needs to get rid of the rest of you school "insiders" and keep the others doing there jobs. Speak about looking silly, seems that is a topic you might be an authority on. Like your taste in art however.
A Vet

Uhrichsville, OH

#109 Apr 17, 2012
USMarine1967, you have obviously lost your logic since you were in the Corps.
AboutFish

Louisville, OH

#110 Apr 17, 2012
I think everyone is getting away from the whole point of this letter. FISH!! He's going to get to walk!! WE ALL SHOULD BE HAPPY! Let's try to be less negative and more positive....
thestudents

Louisville, OH

#111 Apr 17, 2012
Its not all about the school... the policy is what the big deal is... I'm happy to hear that Fish is going to get to walk and his mother is going to get to see it.
NotAlone

Louisville, OH

#112 Apr 17, 2012
I know what you are going through Fisher. Last year my father was diagnose with IV stage Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The cancer was also attacking his kidneys and liver. When my father went into the hospital he thought he had a bad case of the flu, but when the doctors notice that all of his lymph nodes were swelled up the doctors knew something was wrong. My father is a retired MARINE, so he went to the VA hospital in Pittsburgh. They gave my father 14 days to live...but my father didn't cry and he kept his head up and wasn't ready to give up. Today my father has beat out all the odds and now is finishing up the last steps to his chemo and the doctors believe that they can put the cancer in remission. I understand missing the days at school and the tough struggles, but there is going to be a day where you are going to have to learn to balance out all the parts and confusions in your life for you to be successful. I don't know what fisher plans on doing after he graduates and frankly it's none of my business, but college and the real world are more stern than high school. My college recommended me to take a semester off and my work suggested me to quit. It was tough figuring out my new life, but I did it and it was worth it. Fisher you sound like a good kid and I am sure you will figure everything out and learn to balance everything out. I hope for the best for you fisher and your family! Congratulations for getting to walk. and USMARINE1967 - my father says that he knows that you know your stuff but try to be more respectful when getting your point across :)
Donna

Massillon, OH

#113 Apr 17, 2012
Is their a scholarship fund set up for Austin?
If so, please put it up on this site. Many people the world over would be honored to have a son like Austin. Please, anyone, put up a site (scholarship) for Austin!
Shame on the Carrollton School; I read that they thought it was best the family didn't speak to the media. What!! This is America! Don't allow that rotten school board to stifle anyone in the family. Your voices count more then you know. God Bless you all!!
Kimberly from Canfield

North Fairfield, OH

#114 Apr 17, 2012
Nate wrote:
For everyone arguing that Austin should have "called or notified the school," as a student, and a minor, he is not allowed to call himself off. But, I'm sure his mother was feeling completely up to making that phone call, along with the other phone calls and/or other situations I'm sure she needed to take care of as well (sarcasm, for anyone who missed it).
Also, remember, Carrollton is a small town, with "small town name games" being played almost daily.Don't believe me? Just ask Mr. Dave Davis, CHS principal, how his niece was able to miss more than 30 days worth of school, to go spend time with her boyfriend in another state? This is widely known, as the niece has posted on public media about her visits, and how her family claimed that she had "family emergencies" to deal with. Ah, wait, family emergency, isn't that what one would consider stage IV cancer in a PARENT to be?
Feel free to bite my head off, I know some will, but anyone who as ever attended Carrollton Schools, knows that the name game happens, and if you don't fall into the right "clique" you don't get all the great benefits.
Let the judgmental comments begin.:)
Well Nate, anyone who ever attened Carrollton High School knows you speak from experience/the heart. At least someone had the guts to come out and say it. Good for you!
Thinker

Cleveland, OH

#115 Apr 17, 2012
To Nate: I will not post a judgemental comment because I don't know enough about your bitterness to offer reasons for your hateful messages. I just wish you would get both sides of the story before you weigh in with your two cents.
Donna

Massillon, OH

#116 Apr 17, 2012
I'll try again. If every person that signed the petition would pitch in one dollar, we could all make a bad situation easier for Austin and his Mom.
Pray someone in Carrollton sets up a scholarship fund. Austin is very deserving.

If anyone knows of something being set up, please post, so we can do our part. Thanks!
Taken

United States

#117 Apr 17, 2012
Donna wrote:
I'll try again. If every person that signed the petition would pitch in one dollar, we could all make a bad situation easier for Austin and his Mom.
Pray someone in Carrollton sets up a scholarship fund. Austin is very deserving.
If anyone knows of something being set up, please post, so we can do our part. Thanks!
Be careful! Keep in mind that there are two sides to every story. There is a LOT of misinterpretation of facts out there. The "spin doctors" have been hard at work on this story.
UNbelievable

United States

#118 Apr 17, 2012
Its totally amazing how far this situation has been blown out of the water! What is even more amazing is that it didnt make the news until the school system and all staff were on spring break! What a way to gain momentum when the other side is out of the office! I am dissapointed in the community in they way they handled this situation.Graduation maybe! PROM NO way! BASEBALL absolutely not!
HaHa

United States

#120 Apr 19, 2012
Donna wrote:
Is their a scholarship fund set up for Austin?
If so, please put it up on this site. Many people the world over would be honored to have a son like Austin. Please, anyone, put up a site (scholarship) for Austin!
Shame on the Carrollton School; I read that they thought it was best the family didn't speak to the media. What!! This is America! Don't allow that rotten school board to stifle anyone in the family. Your voices count more then you know. God Bless you all!!
Are you serious? lmao..... Everyone likes to voice their opinion on the situation because it's FREE... There won't be enough money given to even be considered a scholarship... Most people who replied or wrote on this site is because they had some kind of other beef with carrollton and felt like it is a great opportunity to display it... There are millions of people having to deal with cancer in some kind of shape or form, whether it's them, a friend or family... The best thing to do is if they are looking for some kind of monetary help is to try to have some kind of benefit in the area, but how this whole situation was handled the area has split opinions, so they be lucky to have a good turn out... You can rely on people when it comes to their two cents, but don't be holding your breath when it comes to real money...
Sandi Dayton

Portage, MI

#121 Apr 22, 2012
I think it's wonderful that the kids involved in this are being permitted to walk with their class. Meeting the academic requirements to graduate is a very big deal & should be celebrated. I also think that Carrollton High School should not be permitted to dictate which students walk across the stage for graduation unless it is for academic reasons. The high school has segregated certain young adults in past years as well (including my son) & I am so very happy that people finally stood up to the school for these young adults. Congratulations Austin Fisher & all the others who will get to walk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Suzanne Somers loves bioidentical hormones (Jun '09) May 19 Spotted Girl 95
News Where to buy dichloroacetate... (Jul '07) May 11 Judydowellb 51
ESCOZUL is healing cancer patients (Mar '07) Apr '17 Jet 165
News Few transgender teens opt for fertility preserv... Feb '17 They cannot kill ... 7
News Michael Buble: Son 'progressing well' in cancer... Feb '17 Vaccines and Cancer 1
Essiac tea-not working, Anyone found a stronger... (Jun '11) Jan '17 Carmel 15
News doctor puts a syringe in arm of children Jan '17 Jack 1
More from around the web