New study firmly ties hormone use to breast cancer

Dec 13, 2008 | Posted by: The Associated Press | Full story: The Associated Press

Taking menopause hormones for five years doubles the risk for breast cancer, according to a new analysis of a big federal study that reveals the most dramatic evidence yet of the dangers of these still-popular pills.

Even women who took estrogen and progestin pills for as little as a couple of years had a greater chance of getting cancer. And when they stopped taking them, their odds quickly improved, returning to a normal risk level roughly two years after quitting.

Collectively, these new findings are likely to end any doubt that the risks outweigh the benefits for most women.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2008

It just doesn't make sense to mess with Mother Nature to the point that you interfere with menopause, which is completely natural. I went through menopause without hormones, and now I'm on AI's to suppress what little hormones were left, because I had hormone sensitive cancer. That is like menopause cubed, but it could well be saving my life.

Instead of living a rich and full life I would probably be dying (or dead) now if I had taken hormone replacement therapy. Unfortunately you can't know ahead of time whether you're at risk or not.

This stuff is poison. Don't take it. Find a way to deal with menopause. One suggestion I have, which helped me tremendously, is to try a temperature-controlled waterbed. They can be quite cool, and that really does help with the hot flashes.

Also look for "cooling scarves" online. You can soak them in ice water. During the summer I sometimes wear two -- one around my head and one around my neck. If you use ice water, the relief is quite dramatic.

Since: Dec 08

Binghamton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

I just saw another article in today's paper about the risks of PremPro. I'm 66 and have been on HRT of some kind since I started having menopausal symptoms at 42. I insist that my doctor give me a year's refill when I have my annual checkup. I doubt that many women have been on HRT for 24 years. In 1984, my OB-GYN doctor, a woman, told me that many women die from pneumonia as a result of an osteoporosis bone break. She told me that HRT was also good for my heart.

I also believe that it's good for my skin and keeps my bladder from leaking as badly as it could for a woman my age. Maybe that's all bunk, I don't know. I weigh 120 lbs, don't have high blood pressure and no breast or ovarian cancer in my family.

I'm divorced, abstinent, but just don't look forward to the other side effects of loss of estrogen. I'm on the low dose PremPro.

I'm looking for some support in my decision but can't find any on the Net. I saw in one posting someone had said something about medications like PremPro causing illnesses that lead to high medical insurance. My take on that is that obesity is the number one cause of the high cost of medicine in this county. I'm hoping that by watching my weight, I'm counteracting the risks of HRT.
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Don't know what to tell you. Zometa has reversed the slight osteoporosis I had and protected me not only from the effects of menopause but the effects of menopause cubed -- aromatasse inhibitors. My skin looks find and my bladder doesn't leak.

Taking HRT certainly doesn't guarantee that one will get breast cancer. It does increase the risk. Watching your weight is good but will not protect you from breast cancer, either.

I'm not going to tell you personally what to do, but I do know that it isn't necessary to take HRT to be healthy.
Aleck

Landshut, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

have been researching for months and reading reviews for each pharmacy and finally decided to take the plunge and order from one. After coming to the conclusion http://goo.gl/bLFWQG seemed the most safest and had the best feedback I ordered my pills. Was very apprehensive at first due to cc fraud, ell and they are good i would definetely recommend and purchase againspam and being generally ripped off (have not received one spam email and no cc fraud) order process and checkout was simple.
placed my order on my debit card and was charged straight away and received confirmation email immediately. choose the speedy del trackable and was advised del would be 7-9 days and order was placed on the 08/01. was just about to email them today to chase up as now 15 days but behold package had been posted through my door. packaging seems as shown on webiste. apart from small delay on advertised shipping time i have been generally please with the pharmacy.
wont be taking the pills for another few weeks yet but all going well and they are good i would definetely recommend and purchase again from them.

Since: Mar 12

U.K

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

i wouldn't take hormone supplements again, i think it interferes with the body in an unnatural way, and we are only beginning to discover and affirm this. Unlike dietary supplements which are found in our food anyway (calcium and oil capsules for example) and can help problems associated with post-menopause (skin and bones). My personal experience has been after long term use of the contraceptive pill (which is hormones) I had both cervical and breast cancer (hormone sensitive). The menopause symptoms are unpleasant to say the least and can continue even afterwards but i just don't think taking hormones is the answer - it's not worth the risk

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Breast Cancer Forum right now

Search the Breast Cancer Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Breast cancer support group Jul 6 Nicki Boscia Durlester 1
Breast Massage With Cream Containing Pueraria M... (Apr '09) Jul 4 MAzu 245
Abortion (Jan '12) Jul 3 godless by choice 31
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) Jul 1 charlie 855
Breast Cancer Study Jun 30 Texan 4
Former 'GMA' host battles breast cancer Jun 28 DALE 1
Joan Lunden, former 'GMA' host, has cancer Jun 24 sad to hear that 1
•••
•••