Popular antidepressant interferes with cancer drug

Feb 8, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

The popular antidepressant drug Paxil may interfere with breast cancer treatments, making patients more likely to relapse and die, researchers in Canada reported on Monday.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Jan 18, 2013

Since: Feb 10

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

This may be news to Reuters, but it's not news to the medical community. That's why, when Tamoxifen threw me into depression, my only real option was to stop taking the Tamoxifen. It's not just Paxil -- it's most anti-depressants.
perry

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2010

Judged:

I took Paxil when I was taking tamoxifen. I took both about 4+ years. Both seemed to work. I had all the side effects of tomoxifen, aching joints and bones, hot flashes. I then went on to taken femara for 4-5 years. I am going on 11 years cancer free after losing my Mother to BC in 1969 when I was 16.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

Perry I'm so glad for you. My mother was luckier than yours. She had breast cancer in 1957 and survived, but it wasn't common then.

So it's worth all the trouble. The antidepressants probably don't interfere for everyone, and I don't think they knew when you took it. Also that's a very powerful combination, to take Tamoxifen and then Femara.

We're so lucky that we had it when we did.
Gladys Montague

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

This is a new one. Although I have heard of a recent study that linked Paxil use to breast and ovarian cancer. This is an addition to the wide array of Paxil side effects such as autism, suicidal behavior and birth defects.
See: http://www.paxilbirthdefectlaw.com/
Mike

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

When two medications are being taken together, they are bound to affect each other. The two medications might complement each other or decrease the effectiveness of the two because each medications have a different effect on different individuals. However, antidepressants (See http://www.zoloftsertralinebirthdefects.com ) may be nueeded by these cancer patients because they may develop depression.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Mike wrote:
When two medications are being taken together, they are bound to affect each other. The two medications might complement each other or decrease the effectiveness of the two because each medications have a different effect on different individuals. However, antidepressants (See http://www.zoloftsertralinebirthdefects.com ) may be nueeded by these cancer patients because they may develop depression.
Well, no, they don't always affect each other. Often there are side effects, but that's not the same thing. Sometimes drugs interact, but not always.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Breast Cancer Forum right now

Search the Breast Cancer Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) Jul 21 anomanis 857
Breast Cancer Study Jul 16 Texan 6
A cancer survivor shaves her head to raise money Jul 15 Voice of Reality 1
Breast cancer support group Jul 6 Nicki Boscia Durlester 1
Breast Massage With Cream Containing Pueraria M... (Apr '09) Jul 4 MAzu 245
Abortion (Jan '12) Jul 3 godless by choice 30
Former 'GMA' host battles breast cancer Jun 28 DALE 1
•••
•••