Tears of Joy When the Perm Was Gone

Tears of Joy When the Perm Was Gone

There are 13 comments on the Raw Story story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Tears of Joy When the Perm Was Gone. In it, Raw Story reports that:

Arab Americans Honor Helen Thomas as Source of Pride Video traces evolution of television journalist Ren Syler's hair from perm to natural.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Raw Story.

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#1 Nov 30, 2010
i did not read the whole article but what came to mind was a situation years ago when i was working at this department store in dearborn, michigan.

an arab (middle eastern) couple came up to me with a 2 year old baby girl.

what they asked me shocked the life out of me!

this little girl was BEAUTIFULL with tan skin and big natual, curly, stringy hair that looked like someone rolled it last night.

the mom and dad asked me if we had anything to straighten her hair!!!!

i could have hit the flo!! i couldn't believe it.

i just did not know that an arab couple could be that messed up in the head; i couldn't understand it.

now i understand. arabs use perms also. and yes, many of them are messed up in the head!!!
BlackForeverFadi ngNever

La Jolla, CA

#2 Nov 30, 2010
sick. i know of people who have put relaxers on 3 year old's hair. that's that good ol' white supremacy going global. i haven't relaxed my hair since june 09 and with trimmings, my hair has pretty much grown back to where it was. mind you, it's curly in some places and nappily coily in others, but i have never been happier to be able to feel the natural texture of my hair the way God meant it to be. and i would never in a million years perm my daughters hair. she will have the option when she's 16, maybe 14, but hopefully she'll choose against it. all curly, kinky, nappy, coily heard women need to learn to love their hair. all this diversity is far more beautiful then leaving your hair dead and full of chemicals. there are too many products out there for woman not to try.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#4 Dec 1, 2010
GOD bless her!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#5 Dec 1, 2010
Nappy over Yaki, ALL DAY LONG!
TheAnswer

Garland, TX

#6 Dec 2, 2010
dragonpat wrote:
i did not read the whole article but what came to mind was a situation years ago when i was working at this department store in dearborn, michigan.
an arab (middle eastern) couple came up to me with a 2 year old baby girl.
what they asked me shocked the life out of me!
this little girl was BEAUTIFULL with tan skin and big natual, curly, stringy hair that looked like someone rolled it last night.
the mom and dad asked me if we had anything to straighten her hair!!!!
i could have hit the flo!! i couldn't believe it.
i just did not know that an arab couple could be that messed up in the head; i couldn't understand it.
now i understand. arabs use perms also. and yes, many of them are messed up in the head!!!
The Arab ruling Class is White or Very Fair complected, that's why.
LOL

AOL

#7 Dec 2, 2010
Oh no not another thread where black females are going to talk about hair. Black females are obsessed with this subject.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#8 Dec 2, 2010
LOL wrote:
Oh no not another thread where black females are going to talk about hair. Black females are obsessed with this subject.
The article is about Arabians!

Since: Jul 09

London, UK

#9 Dec 2, 2010
dragonpat wrote:
i did not read the whole article but what came to mind was a situation years ago when i was working at this department store in dearborn, michigan.
an arab (middle eastern) couple came up to me with a 2 year old baby girl.
what they asked me shocked the life out of me!
this little girl was BEAUTIFULL with tan skin and big natual, curly, stringy hair that looked like someone rolled it last night.
the mom and dad asked me if we had anything to straighten her hair!!!!
i could have hit the flo!! i couldn't believe it.
i just did not know that an arab couple could be that messed up in the head; i couldn't understand it.
now i understand. arabs use perms also. and yes, many of them are messed up in the head!!!
Wow, that's f-d up. Even most black people wouldn't even dream of perming a 2 year old baby's hair.

Since: Jul 09

London, UK

#10 Dec 2, 2010
LOL wrote:
Oh no not another thread where black females are going to talk about hair. Black females are obsessed with this subject.
If we black women wish to talk about our hair, then we will do just that. What's the matter, do you feel left out or something???
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#11 Dec 2, 2010
LOL wrote:
Oh no not another thread where black females are going to talk about hair. Black females are obsessed with this subject.
I take it that you are not black.
Miriam

Finchley, UK

#12 Jun 27, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
i did not read the whole article but what came to mind was a situation years ago when i was working at this department store in dearborn, michigan.
an arab (middle eastern) couple came up to me with a 2 year old baby girl.
what they asked me shocked the life out of me!
this little girl was BEAUTIFULL with tan skin and big natual, curly, stringy hair that looked like someone rolled it last night.
the mom and dad asked me if we had anything to straighten her hair!!!!
i could have hit the flo!! i couldn't believe it.
i just did not know that an arab couple could be that messed up in the head; i couldn't understand it.
now i understand. arabs use perms also. and yes, many of them are messed up in the head!!!
Arabs are not messed up. There is no need to judge a whole culture on one couple. Yes, they may have asked you to straighten the 2 year olds hair but I have been approached by many people from different races and cultures asking me to straighten, perm and add weave to their children's hair. One was as your as 16 months, but you don't hear me calling a certain race messed up in the head. Fix up !
It's not your job to judge what people do, it's your job to do as they ask. So shut it and carry on with your job without the racism. Please and thank you !

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#13 Jun 27, 2012
Miriam wrote:
<quoted text>
Arabs are not messed up. There is no need to judge a whole culture on one couple. Yes, they may have asked you to straighten the 2 year olds hair but I have been approached by many people from different races and cultures asking me to straighten, perm and add weave to their children's hair. One was as your as 16 months, but you don't hear me calling a certain race messed up in the head. Fix up !
It's not your job to judge what people do, it's your job to do as they ask. So shut it and carry on with your job without the racism. Please and thank you !
i haven't changed my mind since almost 2 whole years ago. and i don't have to shut up and can say what i want when i want! i know you hate that don't you?

sucks to be you.

Since: Feb 11

Reality

#14 Jun 27, 2012
I stopped perming my hair in 2003 and it's been a very freeing experience. i love my curls and waves. I felt good to be free from my constant biweekly hair appointment. I learned how to treat my hair, what products to use and my hair has grown like crazy. I once had a short cut.

I got more compliments once I went natural too but I don't begrudge women who still relax. Our hair is versatile. you gotta do what works for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Depression common after serious illness or medi... Thu graysteve 5
News Good sex after breast cancer treatment (Mar '13) Jul 28 kateB4u 7
News Chico breast care center opens Jul 27 Here Is One 1
News Walk of Hope set for Sept. 11 to help battle ov... (Sep '11) Jul 25 a room vs new hos... 4
News Building Support For Black Cancer Patients Jul 25 Spotted Girl 8
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) Jul 24 AnonymousUser 874
News Breast Massage With Cream Containing Pueraria M... (Apr '09) Jul 24 Nicemassagedubai 249
More from around the web