Joyce

Sicklerville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

My doctor has recommended taking arimidex. Stage 1 breast cancer, will have radiation. No cancer cells in the centinal lymph nodes.
lcava2

Hackensack, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

I had stage I 6 years ago, no spread to the nodes either. I had radiation for 6 weeks (not fun, but no side effects) Post-menopause I have been on Arimidex for about 4 years. No problems for me .
Get a 2nd opinion if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor's advice.
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

Joyce, it is appropriate for Stage I breast cancer if it's hormone sensitive. If you don't tolerate Arimidex, try Femara.
Joyce

Sicklerville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

lcava2 wrote:
I had stage I 6 years ago, no spread to the nodes either. I had radiation for 6 weeks (not fun, but no side effects) Post-menopause I have been on Arimidex for about 4 years. No problems for me .
Get a 2nd opinion if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor's advice.
I have some time to think about this. I guess I am looking for the study on women who don't choose to take it and their outcome after 5 years. I've also heard that with my particular type of cancer the radiation gives a no return of cancer for 5 years.
Joyce

Sicklerville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Gail Perry wrote:
Joyce, it is appropriate for Stage I breast cancer if it's hormone sensitive. If you don't tolerate Arimidex, try Femara.

Thank you for replying. My cancer was estrogen produced. No doc. has yet to have me take a blood test to see what my levels of estrogen are now. Did you have that test.
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Joyce wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for replying. My cancer was estrogen produced. No doc. has yet to have me take a blood test to see what my levels of estrogen are now. Did you have that test.
No, Joyce, and the way I understand it, there's no point to it. Even after menopause our bodies produce some estrogen -- just not as much. It's not about blood levels but about choking off every bit of estrogen they can. That's why there's just one dose for most of these drugs.

The thing you have to watch is your bone strength.
Joyce

Sicklerville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Two doctors told me this is a 5 year plan and that I have to be on arimidex or (perhaps) another drug
for that amount of time. Am I not understanding you when you said "tha's why there's just one dose for most of these drugs"?
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Joyce wrote:
Two doctors told me this is a 5 year plan and that I have to be on arimidex or (perhaps) another drug
for that amount of time. Am I not understanding you when you said "tha's why there's just one dose for most of these drugs"?
Yes, Joyce. The exception is Tamoxifen, but I believe that dosage is based on whether you're pre-menopausal or post-menopausal (not absolutely certain about that).

My point is that dosage isn't based on any kind of blood levels. And, with these drugs, side effects are a *good* thing because they show the drugs are working. You'll only have side effects if your estrogen levels fall.
Gail Perry

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Joyce, I just looked at this thread. They do have studies comparing women who took AI's vs. those who did not. AI's are used because they do save lives. You should be able to ask your doctor for the evidence. My doctor is always able to explain the effectiveness of anything considered to me.
lcava2

Hackensack, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Gail Perry writes

( "Yes, Joyce. The exception is Tamoxifen, but I believe that dosage is based on whether you're pre-menopausal or post-menopausal (not absolutely certain about that).")

This is true- I was on tamoxifen for 2 years until I was a while past menopause.(The chemo stopped my periods anyway) & then I was
put on Arimidex.
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

lcava I guess you've seen the research showing that the combination of Tamoxifen and an AI is a very effective one?:)
Diane Perrin

Marmora, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

I finished radiation in August(Stage 1) and was told by my doctor to start Arimidex. I am very fearful of all medications and the side effects they may have. I have been struggling with should I start now. I don't know if it matters if you start 4 months later or not. Has anyone else hesitated with the decision?
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

Diane, give it a try. It could save your life and you might not have any side effects. You don't have to sign a life contract.:)
Candice Jimenez

Brandon, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2011

I had Stage 1 breast cancer with no lymph nodes involved. I had both breasts removed and had 4/chemo treatments, the doctor is also suggested taking Arimidex...not sure if its necessary. Any advice would be helpful....Thank you
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2011

Candice Jimenez wrote:
I had Stage 1 breast cancer with no lymph nodes involved. I had both breasts removed and had 4/chemo treatments, the doctor is also suggested taking Arimidex...not sure if its necessary. Any advice would be helpful....Thank you
Candace, here's the thing ...

Just because there are no lymph nodes involved doesn't mean you're home clear, because breast cancer is sneaky. One thing it likes to do is sneak into your bone marrow where it can lurk for as long as 20 years. Just a little female hormone is enough to keep it alive.

The paradox is that Arimidex and its sisters WILL weaken your bones, and that breast cancer is opportunistic and most likely to start growing in a weak place in a bone. So you ALSO have to keep your bones strong, and that can mean extra drugs (I had the intravenous kind once a year).

People who have had stage one cancer with lymph nodes can and do die of breast cancer, sometimes years later. Arimidex and her sisters significantly reduce that risk. So it was actually a huge risk I took to stop taking that drug.

You have to talk to your oncologist and make a decision with him or her. If you don't trust that doctor, get a second opinion. Just don't let them sugar coat it. It can be a tough drug and I think I would have coped with it MUCH better if they'd just been honest with me.

For instance, it interferes with hair growth -- right after all your hair has fallen out. You need to know that. You need to know that wig isn't going back in its box quite as quickly as you thought it would. You're done with chemo, but you're still in a battle. You need to know that. Battlefields aren't pleasant, but it's worth the fight. It really is.
Arimidex

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2011

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Arimidex)- purchasetablets.com/order-arimidex-online-en.... I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.
P.S. 5% discount coupon code: 9sh73h
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2011

Arimidex wrote:
I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Arimidex)- purchasetablets.com/order-arimidex-online-en.... I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.
P.S. 5% discount coupon code: 9sh73h
I got mine from Northwest Pharmacy in Canada. They were the generic, but my doctor said the generic was fine. And instead of $385 in the US, they were $89.
Sharon

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

I had stage 1/2 breast cancer. Nodes clear. ER positive. I had the oncotypeDX test and because the numbers were low (indicating Chemo would not provide a significant benefit) and I had radiation for the usual 6 weeks. My oncologist nearly had a stroke when I told here I did not want to take Arimidex.
That said, it would help if I know the percentage of risk of not taking this med. Cancer does not run in my family. The surgery removed the tumor and had a very clear margin. What would you do if you were me?
Gail Perry

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2012

Sharon, even though I did not tolerate it, you should give it a try. However, you should insist on HONEST details about the side effects.

The oncologists want us to take it because it really does save lives, and to a significant degree. You didn't say how old you are, but another thing you can do is make absolutely sure your bones are as strong as possible.

I really couldn't tolerate any of the hormone-suppressing drugs, but I am not everyone. You don't have to sign a life contract. I would urge you to try them, and to try very hard to find a way to deal with any side effects. I would not pass them up without even trying them.

Since: Mar 12

U.K

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2012

I was prescribed this but decided not to take it as the chemo has already done a job of reducing my hormone levels drastically; and with the radio & radical surgery I don't feel its necessary. If there was tissue for the cancer to return into or if there were still tumor indicators in the bloodwork then I would; but as it is I don't believe messing up my body further (hormonally)& the side-effects are worth taking yet another drug for. To my mind this drug should be prescribed for hormone-responsive cancer when the patient still has the cancer and/or the (higher level)hormones and not afterwards.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Dangerous Boob Tour' Aims To Education Women A... Wed V Murray 1
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) Aug 18 Annonomous 859
Abortion (Jan '12) Aug 18 ATE CHRISTY 30
topamax & weight loss (Sep '07) Aug 10 Angelika 590
Perry Hall Woman Makes 'Pretty Pockets' for Bre... (Oct '13) Jul 24 Jen 3
Breast Cancer Study Jul '14 Texan 6
A cancer survivor shaves her head to raise money Jul '14 Voice of Reality 1

Search the Breast Cancer Forum:
•••