Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy

May 14, 2013 Full story: ClickOnDetroit 22

Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a New York Times op-ed article on Tuesday that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carries the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jane

Bronx, NY

#1 May 14, 2013
Sends a bad message to women! Let a doctor act as a fortune teller and scare you enough to make you rip you breasts off when you have no cancer watsoever. What ever happened to breast examinations? The genetic tests are overstated in some of the reports I read and are being used to control women and get at their pocket books. She is rich so the doctor told her something that might not even be true to gain a fortune of a celebrity. It is like saying I will never get in a car because I have a good possiblity of dying. What is the guarantee that the materials used for reconstruction don't cause cancer later on in her body? I mean if she was diagnosed with cancer that I could understand but she wasn't.

“Liberal Source for Cop Killers”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

#2 May 14, 2013
who cares; anything for attention
helene

Aiken, SC

#3 May 14, 2013
she nuttier then me

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#4 May 14, 2013
I guess she never heard of getting a second opinion.
genesORenviormen t

Bryn Mawr, PA

#5 May 14, 2013
People this scared to die and/or fight a disease with a treatment and lifestyle changes scare me with their ends justify the means mentality more than the disease.

Statistics are only as good as their takers and what process was used to gather them. Along with being put in and taken in context.

Did Miss Jolie and/or her doctors even think that her 'family history' might include relatives from the cold war era with ALOT of sloppy nuclear bomb and power testing? Or that the enviorment wasn't as regulated meaning they were living in or around many more cancer causing toxins?

If there were formulas that accurate for predicting outcomes every gambler and Wall Street investor would be using them enmasse today.
flanders art

Bayonne, NJ

#6 May 15, 2013
OK..wait as she becomes the "pioneer" for womens'
health and genes. Maybe a 'bit of hysteria"...for
other women! Women who have undergone these radical
procedures; I'm certain know the consequences and
have discussed with their doctors long before Joli
made this announcement.
MrSize13feet

Brooklyn, NY

#7 May 16, 2013
I agree, she's nothing short of an attention getter, I mean just look at her history.. French kissing her own brother at the academy awards, stealing another woman's husband (yep, she did it), her public adoptions as to appear as a world champion to adopt kids from other countries when there are many in the USA that need homes but that's another discussion, that idiotic, and i mean IDIOTIC flashing of a leg at an awards show, for what? It meant NOTHING. And the list goes on and on. She's a fame whore.

Now, regarding the surgery, I love how all of these other rich women are saying, Oh, she's a hero, Oh she's going to inspire and empower MILLIONS of women.(I think that idiot Sharon Osbourne said that)

Pardon me, does anyone know how expensive these surgeries are, and that just because you have a gene does NOT entitle you to have this surgery from an insurance coverage point of view? So, for the MILLIONS of women that are suddenly empowered, how many can afford to have removal and reconstruction without mortgaging their own houses to pay for it? You guessed it, 99% can't, yet 1%(like Jolie and other wealth women) can have it and go on these talking tours yapping about it.

It's a bunch of horseshyt and if you think she's some sort of super-heroine get over it.

So, soon she'll be gutted and have her ovaries removed.. Again another publicity stunt for a rich woman who says to other women, "look at what I can do to prevent cancer?" when the reality is "look at what I can do, but you can't but you can't afford it".

And just because a gene test tells you one thing doesn't mean you'll get it. Life is a crap shoot as it is.

By the way, she either is or was a smoker. She'll more than likely get lung cancer so what can be done about that? huh? AND her husband? He's a professional smoker so don't get me started on that one.

I hope people see what's happening here. It's a bunch of horseshyt.
Bud Bundy

Lexington, KY

#9 May 16, 2013
Jolie is a nut case, & a attention seeking fool.
Ozzie Guillen

Chicago, IL

#10 May 17, 2013
Bud Bundy wrote:
Jolie is a nut case, & a attention seeking fool.
But she did have nice boobs.

Since: Feb 10

Clearwater, FL

#11 May 19, 2013
jane wrote:
Sends a bad message to women! Let a doctor act as a fortune teller and scare you enough to make you rip you breasts off when you have no cancer watsoever. What ever happened to breast examinations? The genetic tests are overstated in some of the reports I read and are being used to control women and get at their pocket books. She is rich so the doctor told her something that might not even be true to gain a fortune of a celebrity. It is like saying I will never get in a car because I have a good possiblity of dying. What is the guarantee that the materials used for reconstruction don't cause cancer later on in her body? I mean if she was diagnosed with cancer that I could understand but she wasn't.
If you lived with the genetic risk you wouldn't be so judgmental.
sheepleloveroyal ty

Bryn Mawr, PA

#12 May 19, 2013
Gail Perry wrote:
<quoted text>
If you lived with the genetic risk you wouldn't be so judgmental.
The problem has the genetic risk been correctly caculated. And even if a 'risk' that still means there is a chance it won't occur. This is the most drastic choice one can make while not even in peril. Should you make anyone make life changing decisions based on one set of calculations and not even consider actual treatment when the risk actually happens?

Since: Feb 10

Clearwater, FL

#13 May 19, 2013
sheepleloveroyalty wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem has the genetic risk been correctly caculated. And even if a 'risk' that still means there is a chance it won't occur. This is the most drastic choice one can make while not even in peril. Should you make anyone make life changing decisions based on one set of calculations and not even consider actual treatment when the risk actually happens?
a

HUH? I never said what ANYONE should do, much less what EVERYBODY should do.

You're the one saying what you think other people should do.
sheepleloveroyal ty

Bryn Mawr, PA

#14 May 19, 2013
Gail Perry wrote:
<quoted text>a
HUH? I never said what ANYONE should do, much less what EVERYBODY should do.
You're the one saying what you think other people should do.
I did not intend to direct it at you. Forgot the word "or" in a critical sentence. The last sentence should read 'Should you OR anyone...'-It was ment to be a general question/observation directed at the use of these genetic risk calculations and these good body part removal advocates.

Since: Feb 10

Clearwater, FL

#15 May 20, 2013
Argyle Sock wrote:
I guess she never heard of getting a second opinion.
And how do you know that -- exactly?

Since: Feb 10

Clearwater, FL

#16 May 20, 2013
sheepleloveroyalty wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not intend to direct it at you. Forgot the word "or" in a critical sentence. The last sentence should read 'Should you OR anyone...'-It was ment to be a general question/observation directed at the use of these genetic risk calculations and these good body part removal advocates.
But you DID direct to me. General obsrvations are fine, until it's one's own life on the line. Then it becomes quite real.
ABIGBREAK

Palmer, AK

#17 Jun 13, 2013
Give me a big break right now please?
She'll play martyr for two years,
hush low profile for one year,
AND THEN..... ON RED CARPET.......OH MY, THEY ARE PERFECT!
TITANIUM MAYBE???

Since: Feb 10

Clearwater, FL

#18 Jun 13, 2013
sheepleloveroyalty wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem has the genetic risk been correctly caculated. And even if a 'risk' that still means there is a chance it won't occur. This is the most drastic choice one can make while not even in peril. Should you make anyone make life changing decisions based on one set of calculations and not even consider actual treatment when the risk actually happens?
If you're asking the question, then you don't understand how it's calculated.

If it was an issue in your life -- you would ask your doctor for the explanation instead of rushing to judgement over the poor women who have to make that decision.

My daughters have to make that decision as well. I had breast cancer; my mother did; my grandmother did; my GREAT-grandmother did. It would be the height of naivte' to think there was NOT a genetic connection, but since it isn't BRCA they have no way to trace it. So my daughters have an elevated risk but no way to calculate that risk.

Shame on you. Don't come in here and tell people what to do when you don't even understand the research involved. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you needed the answer you'd discuss it with your doctor, and you'd know the answer.

Did you know that Jolie's mother died of breast cancer, and that her aunt did a couple of days after she had her first surgery? You think SHE didn't know the real nature or the risk? She decided she had six children as well as a committed partner. The children were dependent on her. Her partner needs her. It would have been selfish of her not to have the surgery.

What in the WORLD makes you think any of these women don't consider the risk/benefit of just having the cancer and being treated for it?

Let me tell you how that runs, because I've been there. THEY CAN'T TELL YOU with any reliability what your odds are for some time. After you've survived for a while, they can do a little better. Mine are five out of six, but it probably dropped a little because I couldn't tolerate one of the treatments for the type of breast cancer I had (there are seven subtypes). I just can't IMAGINE why you think women are going through this stupidly, but once you've had breast cancer, you meet a lot of other women who have had it. NONE of the many I have met behaved in the ways you have speculated.

Jolie had it easy. She knows what her statistical odds are. I would appreciate prayers for my two daughters, who have no such solid information on whhich to base their decisions.

I would say pray for you too, so you can become more inquisitive and less judgmental.
helene

Aiken, SC

#19 Jun 14, 2013
maybe her titties flopped so she had them fixed. now all nut cases will fill the drs wallets with breasts implants. you can't fool me, this american society has gone to hell with wars,drs giving out meds, people don't need. most countries have free health care but not this shi-hole america. we at my age, should be allowed to have a pill to die to make room for the young. instead i have to do it myself with a plastic baggie.
the ones,all wealthy old, who rule this greedy america should be in a facility for old senile people. every morning i get up thinking of ways to do my self in,BUT am kind of afraid as I am healthy and my family loves me and cries when i say i will kill myself as i cannot stand my looks that have gone with age. selfish old bit-h i am but i hate old. my mind is tormrnted by all the sh-t that has gone on sence the begging of time.study you history nd you will wonder ,is there really a God or are we a higher form of insects. think about it.

Since: Feb 10

Clearwater, FL

#20 Jun 14, 2013
helene wrote:
maybe her titties flopped so she had them fixed. now all nut cases will fill the drs wallets with breasts implants. you can't fool me, this american society has gone to hell with wars,drs giving out meds, people don't need. most countries have free health care but not this shi-hole america. we at my age, should be allowed to have a pill to die to make room for the young. instead i have to do it myself with a plastic baggie.
the ones,all wealthy old, who rule this greedy america should be in a facility for old senile people. every morning i get up thinking of ways to do my self in,BUT am kind of afraid as I am healthy and my family loves me and cries when i say i will kill myself as i cannot stand my looks that have gone with age. selfish old bit-h i am but i hate old. my mind is tormrnted by all the sh-t that has gone on sence the begging of time.study you history nd you will wonder ,is there really a God or are we a higher form of insects. think about it.
You're never too old to get some help, and I hope you do. As you said, there are those who love you, and you are important to them. You really can feel better. I look my age, but I'm proud of it.
Nic

New York, NY

#21 Jul 2, 2013
helene wrote:
maybe her titties flopped so she had them fixed. now all nut cases will fill the drs wallets with breasts implants. you can't fool me, this american society has gone to hell with wars,drs giving out meds, people don't need. most countries have free health care but not this shi-hole america. we at my age, should be allowed to have a pill to die to make room for the young. instead i have to do it myself with a plastic baggie.
the ones,all wealthy old, who rule this greedy america should be in a facility for old senile people. every morning i get up thinking of ways to do my self in,BUT am kind of afraid as I am healthy and my family loves me and cries when i say i will kill myself as i cannot stand my looks that have gone with age. selfish old bit-h i am but i hate old. my mind is tormrnted by all the sh-t that has gone on sence the begging of time.study you history nd you will wonder ,is there really a God or are we a higher form of insects. think about it.
You are such as Ass..You lack of Education and Manner is appauling..Your parents did you no serice by allowing you to be this uneducated and a damn ass..LOl

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Veterans Affairs clinic chief praises improved ... (Jan '10) Dec 24 Tio Sam 48
YouDocs: Managing your cancer treatment Dec 23 maryjaneprincton 1
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) Dec 16 Embarrassed 864
Varicose Veins: Fact, Fiction, & Cure (Mar '14) Dec 15 Paul Bear 4
Banned DNA test kits hit UK stores Dec 4 Kid_Tomorrow 1
weight loss forum Dec 4 laura adams 1
Angelina Jolie is smoking cigarettes after canc... Dec 3 bappy das 4
More from around the web