Health Care Reform May Be Too Late fo...

Health Care Reform May Be Too Late for Triad Woman

There are 15 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Mar 24, 2010, titled Health Care Reform May Be Too Late for Triad Woman. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

Stopping insurance companies from denying coverage because of preexisting conditions was a part of the new health care reform law that both Democrats and Republicans agreed with.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

SusieQue

Mebane, NC

#1 Mar 25, 2010
Something seems to be missing here -- though this is a tragic story and I feel sympathy for the poor woman. Did she not report the HBP and high cholesterol when she took out the insurance policy in order to get lower rates? I don't think they are disqualifying conditions. I could be wrong.
Anon

United States

#2 Mar 25, 2010
SusieQue wrote:
Something seems to be missing here -- though this is a tragic story and I feel sympathy for the poor woman. Did she not report the HBP and high cholesterol when she took out the insurance policy in order to get lower rates? I don't think they are disqualifying conditions. I could be wrong.
There are a lot of insurance company sympathizers out there, who believe the company can do no wrong and the government should stay out. I don't know you and I am not claiming you're one of these people, so please do not take what I'm saying as criticism of your comment, I'm merely responding to what you've said.

This is par for the course for these insurance companies. You may have heard about the lady whose insurance was dropped because she had acne and had not disclosed it ( http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/16/health... ). You may have also heard about the girl in California who needed a liver transplant, but was denied by the insurance company because they said it was "experimental". After public pressure, the company (CIGNA) relented, on the very morning that the young girl died ( http://cbs2.com/local/nataline.sarkisyan.CIGN... ).

The problem is that the insurance companies are a for-profit business, and treating people for life threatening illnesses just doesn't look good on their bottom line and to their shareholders, so they find whatever excuse they can to drop these people, right when they need help the most.

I think the most telling part of the lady's story is that the charity organizations couldn't help her (or at least have not offered yet). This model, of a for-profit, private insurance industry with low-income or needy people going to charity organizations for assistance is the model that Republicans have been promoting as the best way forward, and look how it's turning out here.

I feel bad for Ms. Decker and her family, and wish her a full recovery. I can only hope that with the passage of the reform bill, stories like this will be a thing of the past.
Kevin

Richmond, VA

#3 Mar 25, 2010
My mother went through this without insurance long ago b4 the more advnaced treatments now, she and my father paid what they could on it until it was paid off someone's panicing...
Kevin

Richmond, VA

#4 Mar 25, 2010
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of insurance company sympathizers out there, who believe the company can do no wrong and the government should stay out. I don't know you and I am not claiming you're one of these people, so please do not take what I'm saying as criticism of your comment, I'm merely responding to what you've said.
This is par for the course for these insurance companies. You may have heard about the lady whose insurance was dropped because she had acne and had not disclosed it ( http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/16/health... ). You may have also heard about the girl in California who needed a liver transplant, but was denied by the insurance company because they said it was "experimental". After public pressure, the company (CIGNA) relented, on the very morning that the young girl died ( http://cbs2.com/local/nataline.sarkisyan.CIGN... ).
The problem is that the insurance companies are a for-profit business, and treating people for life threatening illnesses just doesn't look good on their bottom line and to their shareholders, so they find whatever excuse they can to drop these people, right when they need help the most.
I think the most telling part of the lady's story is that the charity organizations couldn't help her (or at least have not offered yet). This model, of a for-profit, private insurance industry with low-income or needy people going to charity organizations for assistance is the model that Republicans have been promoting as the best way forward, and look how it's turning out here.
I feel bad for Ms. Decker and her family, and wish her a full recovery. I can only hope that with the passage of the reform bill, stories like this will be a thing of the past.
Newsflash medicaid and medicare (Govt. ran) also deny treatments and care for varying reasons you think Govt. who has made a mess of everything else can take care of you better than anyone? God help ya...especially once govt. starts taking away profits of drug companies, so much for newer more advanced drugs afterwords nothing in this country will improve after 2014.
stef

High Point, NC

#5 Mar 25, 2010
Hate her situation, but that's life! I don't know the full story and you don't either. I do know gov't run healthcare will be every bit as inefficient as the post office. There will be rationing and the emergency room will be even more packed not that it's "FREE"!!! Remember the old saying "there is no such thing as a FREE lunch." I don't understand why if Obamacare is so GREAT, a Civil Rights movement of the 21st Century, why is Congress and the President not included? B/c they know it "Controls the PEOPLE". If you don't believe me just ask Rep. John Dingell (D) about his comments!!!
sotrue

Mount Airy, NC

#6 Mar 25, 2010
We used to have Cigna and thank goodness we no longer do. Cigna is a nightmare to deal with. EVERY CLAIM that was ever submitted to them was at the least questioned before they would pay. I hated that company.
health

Clemmons, NC

#7 Mar 25, 2010
I know this lady and she should have plenty to sell to pay for this. People are all about stuff. So because she chose to be a self employeed person (bars and who knows what else) I should pay more in taxes and have less because she wanted to have more. NOT. It is all about choice....would you rather have stuff that you can't take with you or provide yourself with healthcare? Think about it.
Good work

Advance, NC

#8 Mar 25, 2010
health wrote:
I know this lady and she should have plenty to sell to pay for this. People are all about stuff. So because she chose to be a self employeed person (bars and who knows what else) I should pay more in taxes and have less because she wanted to have more. NOT. It is all about choice....would you rather have stuff that you can't take with you or provide yourself with healthcare? Think about it.
Health,

This story is a repeat with even less information of the same slanted, sketchy, story from earlier this month. WGHP8 has again put forth a hastily written piece of B. S. short on details and shorter on facts.

There is a reason why the charities have not responded to her requests, there are more deserving folks out there who need help and they have not run to the news media to cry wolf. This looks like someone trying to milk the system for all its worth.

The story didn't add up the first time and this version looks even more iffy.

Good work,
stef

High Point, NC

#9 Mar 25, 2010
why is it the news media has a hard time really giving us a true news piece. Why is research always overlooked.
Linda of Thomasville

High Point, NC

#10 Mar 25, 2010
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right about one thing stories like this one will be stories of the past. The new ones will be where the government is refusing us the care and treatment we need or the fact that we need life saving surgery immediately but have to wait 6 months to get it.Hey I have a good one for you how about not being able to get an appointment with your medical doctor in a timely manner and having to wait 3 weeks or more just to be able to see them to have a sinus infection treated.
stef

High Point, NC

#11 Mar 25, 2010
Linda you're a smart person! People don't understand that when cost is not a factor the wait time will be insane!!! You have to dig to find out that currently gov't healthcare denials account for 2/3rd of the total healthcare denials. Insurance compnaies are only 1/3!!! Wow Obamacare is going to be swell!!! Also, since apparently we no longer won't a free market society and we crave gov't controls, please explain to me why pharmaceutical companies are going to continue research at no profit? Why are doctors going to continue healing the sick if they can't afford to pay all the gov't required malpractice insurance or more?
American Girl

Shreveport, LA

#12 Mar 25, 2010
I don't know about the woman in her back yard with breast cancer but the woman that was interviewed on the side walk after being discharged for whatever it was that she need serious pain medication for was CRAZY!! Since there are SO MANY Americans without insurance was there not 1 to found who was not under the influence of something?? Shame on you for that "news"...just when you might redeem yourselves in the news dept...really did not make me feel any better about the "health care reform".
vikki

Greensboro, NC

#13 Mar 25, 2010
Dear Health why should you have to sell what you have worked hard for just to stay alive..
No Sympathy

United States

#14 Mar 26, 2010
Ms. Decker should have kept the insurance coverage that she had instead of dropping it because she felt she couldn't afford the premium. Tell the truth - don't lie - What happened to the insurance that you had? When did you quit smoking? How many packs of cigarettes did you smoke per day before you quit? How much did one pack cost? That's money that could have been used to pay your health insurance.
Salvador
#15 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Knitted Breast Prosthetics Available To Mastect... Mon Max Planck 5
News Songwriter-turned-robber faces the music - and ... (May '06) Sep 8 whogivesafuck 23
topamax & weight loss (Sep '07) Aug '17 Say no to this mef 600
News Plastic surgery's affordable to all (Apr '06) Jul '17 Bom 178
News Texas Man Offers $1 Billion For Cancer Cure (Jul '08) Jul '17 Andy 15
News 1 in 2 Canadians will get cancer, 1 in 4 will d... Jun '17 Anonymous 2
News Walk of Hope set for Sept. 11 to help battle ov... (Sep '11) Jun '17 less hope now 5
More from around the web