Concern rises over effects of parabens

There are 6 comments on the Sep 4, 2007, Chicago Tribune story titled Concern rises over effects of parabens. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A vigilant label reader, 36-year-old Karen Altschul of Vernon Hills has known her favorite lotions and sunscreens contained parabens, or synthetic chemicals used as preservatives.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Nancy Petrowski

Overland Park, KS

#1 Sep 4, 2007
Excellent article, except I think it's more important to be concerned with the combinations of chemicals in our bodies and not just single out one. It is the synergistic nature of these chemicals that should have us concerned. Yes, parabens can and do interfere with our endocrine system, but numerous chemicals enter our bodies daily and we are all test tube experiments. Eating more organic fruits and vegetables and buying products like Burts Bees or shopping CarenOnline, etc., can be a great baby step to removing chemicals from our life and the environment.
organicamericand otcom

Vancouver, Canada

#2 Sep 4, 2007
thank you Julie, as an environmental journalist, I just want to point out that the Chicago Tribune has to be the finest 'mainstream paper' in the US in regards to environmental health issues. Thank you very much for all your good work over there!
Alex

Columbia, SC

#3 Sep 5, 2007
I agree but there is one thing. I'm sure there is more happening to us that is more important that has to do with the same thing. But other than important facts it is a fairly good article. =]
Domingo Escobin

Daly City, CA

#5 Sep 18, 2007
Unless a concrete figures of clinical studies have proven that parabens can cause cancer, all this things are inconclosive and continued used of parabens remains safe.
Nancy Petrowski

Overland Park, KS

#6 Sep 20, 2007
I disagree with Domingo. If we hadn't waited for conclusive clinical studies to determine cigarette smoking was killing us, a lot of people wouldn't have become addicted and cigarettes would have been banned. THe only reason harmful substances stay on the market is greed.
Sugarbee

UK

#7 Oct 12, 2007
thats completely right, i totally agree with nancy! its all boils down to greed and the big manufactures not wanting to loose.

when you think about it, with smoking, mobile phone use, addatives in food etc... there are many clinical studies that confirm there are dangers, but nothing ever seems to be made high profile enough that anyone actually does anything about it!

im sure there money beong passed around from these companies to the government.

its all about greed!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) Apr 8 Chase 871
News Top 10 Signs You Should Consider Hormone Replac... Apr 6 Rose Henderson 1
News Perry Square fountain turned pink for Breast Ca... (Oct '11) Apr 4 Gamer 3
Cheaper Avemar (Jun '09) Mar 25 juanhunose 2
News Joan Lunden Breast Cancer Battle Update: 'The F... Mar 25 BarbaraTako 1
News Young mother blogging breast cancer journey Mar 25 BarbaraTako 1
News Walk of Hope set for Sept. 11 to help battle ov... (Sep '11) Mar '15 does CAShh know 3
More from around the web