Women who took menopause hormones for 5 years doubled risk of b...

Full story: Newsday 39
Taking menopause hormones for five years doubles the risk for breast cancer, according to a new analysis of a big federal study that reveals the most dramatic evidence yet of the dangers of these still-popular ... Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#21 Feb 15, 2009
There have been lots of good things said here & more than a couple of generalizations. As women, we need to be aware that we are all different. What works for one, won't necessarily work for another. What can trigger cancer in one can actually be a godsend to someone else. As a matter of course, I dismiss anyone who makes blanket statements such as "HRT causes cancer". Or says something insensitive & just plain ridiculous such as "Women should embrace menopause & learn to enjoy the journey their body is on". Oh ick. I hate menopause & I hated perimenopause. There is nothing in the least bit good about having sweat drip onto your client's paperwork. It's just humiliating. So I'll take my Prempro & enjoy the fact that I no longer get hot flashes. I don't agree with how Prempro is produced, but to me, this is not an animal-rights or political issue. It's MY health & noone else's business. As has been said many times, if men suffered hot flashes they would have found a way to cure them years ago.
Gail Perry

Pinellas Park, FL

#22 Feb 15, 2009
Andie J wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting. After I went off Ortho-Novum, I found a breast lump. And it triggered acne that I still have trouble with today, more than 30 years later.
Coincidence happens. One person with one lump does not mean anything caused it, and for a lot of people, birth control helps clear up acne. It did that for me.

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

#23 Feb 15, 2009
Gail Perry wrote:
<quoted text>
Coincidence happens. One person with one lump does not mean anything caused it, and for a lot of people, birth control helps clear up acne. It did that for me.
Oh how I wish that was the case for me. Never had a zit in my life until I started taking the pill.
Ivory Dove

Helotes, TX

#24 Feb 15, 2009
Andie J wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting. After I went off Ortho-Novum, I found a breast lump. And it triggered acne that I still have trouble with today, more than 30 years later.
One of my concerns is for my married daughter who
has taken first Alysse, then Yasmin, because her
husband is frequently deployed and NFP isn't the
best option for the two of them. Since she is
a second generation Pill user (I was on Ortho
Novum five years before she was born), I don't
know what the long term impacts on her will be.
Niners

Dallas, TX

#25 Feb 15, 2009
http://official-canadian-medicines.com/... - Excellent pharmacy. Fast delivery. Low prices
Gail Perry

Pinellas Park, FL

#26 Feb 15, 2009
Niners this isn't the place to advertise, but I like Northwest Pharmacy in Vancouver.

Ivory, she should ask her doctor. Birth control pills were approved for use around 1961 and there's TONS of research on them.
chanelglass

Alameda, CA

#27 Feb 16, 2009
Stating that I have chosen to quit Prempro is now considered "insensitive"?
Gail Perry

Tampa, FL

#28 Feb 16, 2009
Chanel, if someone said you were insensitive, just ignore it. It isn't true. You've always been quite courteous even when you didn't agree with other posters.
Ivory Dove

Helotes, TX

#29 Feb 16, 2009
Gail Perry wrote:
Niners this isn't the place to advertise, but I like Northwest Pharmacy in Vancouver.
Ivory, she should ask her doctor. Birth control pills were approved for use around 1961 and there's TONS of research on them.
That's probably an excellant idea.
WHAT

Watertown, CT

#30 Feb 16, 2009
friedcandy wrote:
Oh ya, did you know that most MRI machines in this country give off the same radiation as 600 x-rays. So if you are going for one, please ask if it is a newer version which gives off less. Of course you must realize that all forms of radiation do a number on your boobs. There is also the thought that smashing them and then x-raying them probably doesn't help either. Read SEX, LIES, AND MENOPAUSE. Pretty scary.
I thought MRIs used magnets, and NOT xrays?????
Gail Perry

Pinellas Park, FL

#31 Feb 16, 2009
WHAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought MRIs used magnets, and NOT xrays?????
That's true, What, but don't let the facts interfere with a good conspiracy theory!

I think the poster confused MRI's with CT scans. CT scans do expose a person to a lot of radiation.

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

#32 Feb 17, 2009
chanelglass wrote:
Stating that I have chosen to quit Prempro is now considered "insensitive"?
You missed my point. The insensitive part is when someone- not you- assumes that a woman's problems with menopausal symptoms can be dealt with by taking soy isoflavones or black cohosh. Or just accepting it & dealing with it. These things are usually said by men. My point is that everyone is different & others should accept your choices for what they are- yours & yours alone.
chanelglass

Alameda, CA

#33 Feb 17, 2009
I agree. When I quit taking Prempro my body went in to a hormonal withdrawal that lasted a week.
My body began depending on those
little pills. They do make the symptoms of menopause rather enjoyable. I miss my Prempro.
Gail Perry

Pinellas Park, FL

#34 Feb 17, 2009
Chanel anyone who could develop a treatment for menopause that was safe as well as effective -- well, I'd like to own stock in that company.:)
ddd

New Rochelle, NY

#35 Feb 17, 2009
Gail Perry wrote:
Chanel anyone who could develop a treatment for menopause that was safe as well as effective -- well, I'd like to own stock in that company.:)
Ahhhh....nothing in this darn world is safe anymore. I enjoy what my BHRT does for me and will continue to take them for whatever time I find that I need them.
Madison

Madison, WI

#36 Feb 17, 2009
bioidentical wrote:
I don't know where you get your information, but bio-identical has NOT BEEN PROVEN to be a precursor to breast cancer. I am on bioidentical, doses are small, helps tremendously. READ THE BOOKS and the FACTS, before you spew out a bunch of stuff you obviously know nothing about. OLD SCHOOL docs or those not wanting to LEARN about bioidentical are horrible. In med school, most doctors only study OB-Gyn for about 20 hours, that is why they know nothing about bio-identical or understand it, only if the "specialize" in it, do they start to understand the difference between bio-identical and synthetic hormones. I live in Madison WI and the UW-Wisconsin has a group of really great doctors that KNOW bio-identical well and we even have a compounding lab here that works very closely with women on bio-identical replacement. go to www.womenshealthamerica.com you will read a lot of information and get the facts, don't listen to old ladies who are retired in Florida on here that don't understand what bio-identical can really do for you and the great benefits ....
What is the name of Doctor or Clinic in Madison, WI you are seeing?
marie

AOL

#38 Feb 25, 2009
is there any new news on prempro lawsuits 4809
Giovanni

Europe

#41 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
Truluck

Spring, TX

#44 Saturday Mar 21
It never occurs to people that some of the posters here might be cancer survivors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheaper Avemar (Jun '09) Mar 25 juanhunose 2
News Joan Lunden Breast Cancer Battle Update: 'The F... Mar 25 BarbaraTako 1
News Young mother blogging breast cancer journey Mar 25 BarbaraTako 1
News Walk of Hope set for Sept. 11 to help battle ov... (Sep '11) Mar 24 does CAShh know 3
News Plastic surgery's affordable to all (Apr '06) Mar 24 Kurt Cooks 169
News Drug might treat both anxiety and weight-loss d... Mar 10 frustated 1
News 'Mammograms hurt' column draws ire -- OrlandoSe... (Aug '07) Mar 9 Jinx 188
More from around the web