Women who took menopause hormones for 5 years doubled risk of b...

Full story: Newsday

Taking menopause hormones for five years doubles the risk for breast cancer, according to a new analysis of a big federal study that reveals the most dramatic evidence yet of the dangers of these still-popular ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 38 Comments Last updated Sep 24, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert W Nadel MD

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Judged:

This article on breast cancer/WHI study misses the real point-do hormone replacements help? WHI had two branches to their study, first, women around 50 years old and second, those 60-79 years old. The first group did very well on hormones and therefore was not reported. The older group, that any normal Gynecologist would not give hormones to, didn't do very well. Completely ignored in this article are the beneficial effects hormones have on the younger women, the fact that breast cancer takes from 8 to 14 years to get identified from when it starts and the significantly improved breast cancer survival rates in women who took hormones.
I have yet to go to a lecture on hormone replacements where the expert giving the lecture had anything but total distain reguarding how WHI has presented their data.
Robert W Nadel, MD
First Ob/Gyn of Mineola
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Judged:

You know, Robert, we are more than the statistics collected on us. MY breast cancer grew quite rapidly. They don't ALL take 8 - 14 years to develop. In addition, mine was hormone sensitive. I would probably be dying by now had I had HRT.

Menopause is not a medical condition. It's a normal stage of life and there are ways to manage its (sometimes quite annoying) symptoms.

Since the point of this study wasn't whether HRT "helps" or not, it makes sense that they did not report on that. If you're really an MD, and I guess you are since you provided the name of a practice, then you should know that no one study answers all the questions.

Since: Jan 09

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I am glad to hear that it did take 8-10 years for breast cancer to develop. That settles my argument about Prempro. I was 50 when I started it and my breast cancer was detected this year 6 years AFTER I stopped the drug. Two surgeries, 38 days of radiation and now 5 years for tamoxifen. Worst of all they cannot tell if I still have cancer or not. THEY CAN'T ALWAYS SEE THIS TYPE OF CANCER THAT THIS DRUG CAUSES! 300% increase in Lobular Cancer with this drug. Can you imagine what this would have havebeen if the NIF HAD NOT done this study.

Angry and looking for justice

What I bill of goods this Wyeth sold the American women.
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I'm going to make my recommendations again:

if you're going through peri-menopause or menopause and you have a lot of hot flashes, look on line for "cooling scarves." Buy several -- or you can actually buy the crystals and make your own.

Soak them in ice water. Always keep one in the fridge. Put one around your neck, and if you're really flashing, one around your head like a "hippie" scarf.

If you can afford it and sleep comfortably on it, you might try a waterbed -- you can keep them on the cool side and your husband can still be comfortable. Don't flinch at running the AC at night. Even if it's not terribly hot, reducing the humidity helps too.

There's no shame in taking a sleeping pill.
friedcandy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I am going for bio-identical pellets tomorrow. I have done as much research as I can and it does look like the main reason for the cancer is the horse urine in the Wyeth products. I know you think you can get thru without the use of hormone replacement but some of us have more problems than just hot flashes. I made it through those but the moods, anxiety, etc are more than I can take. I am 53 now. I had a partial hysterectomy 15 years ago that I probably didn't need to have had someone just looked at my hormone levels. Of course back then I would probably been prescribed the wrong thing anyway. I do worry about cancer but believe that I am making the best choice for me. I also know that hormone replacement is better for my heart and other organs. My heart goes out to those of you struggling with results of companies like Wyeth doing what is best for them. I wish you all the best. I am as much doing this for myself as for my daughter who is 21 and on birth control pills to help with heavy bleeding. I hope that in the future we will be wiser and that the FDA will listen to us. God bless all of you.
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

Actually the bioidenticals have been proven to be a very bad combination with breast cancer.

Birth control pills, unlike HRT, are not implicated in breast cancer. In fact they may have some protective effect.
friedcandy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Where did you get your information? If you are suggesting that adding bio-identicals when you already have breast cancer, I agree, I would tread lightly. However, they are also showing that a small bit of estrogen added vaginally can help you get thru some of the rough spots. Some of that also depends on what type of breast cancer you have and where you are in menopause. I currently do not have breast cancer. Also just the use of progesterone may be of some help and that seems to not contribute to sbreast cancer but still may relieve some of the symptoms. Everyone needs to research for themselves and not depend on the info from one source, including your doctor. He has other reasons for saying what he believes. Also, the reason my daughter was prescribed BC pill was because of heavy flow and being anemic. That could possibly be dealh with by using some progesterone. And since she is on the type that allows you to skip periods, there is concern of uterine cancer because she is not sluffing off the lining of her uterus every month. I hate to wait 10 years to find out that is true just like it took for the combination of horse urine and breast cancer. I would love to find out about the source of your info as I am always looking and researching. Thanks

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

There have been differing opinions as long as HRT has been available. What works for one woman won't work for the next. I am glad my doctor prescribed Prempro. I suffered thru 13 years of hot flashes before I started taking it. These were drenching sweats every 10-15 minutes, 24 hrs/day. I tried every other option. Some worked for a short period of time, others not at all. I had 2 doctors (both men) completely dismiss my concerns. I found a wonderful female doctor who told me the whole truth about menopause. Finally! A little honesty! I take the lowest dose of Prempro & I take it every other day. Sometimes I'll skip an extra day. Periodically, I'll try weaning myself off of it. So far, I keep coming back to it. We monitor my body closely, regular mammograms, regular Pap smears, lots of talk about symptoms.

For this person- HRT has changed my life for the better.
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

"Where did you get your information?

Good research.

If it's a problem after one has had breast cancer then it's a problem before, because all cancer starts out too small to detect. It's not smart to feed a tumor.

I'm not telling you what to do but generally I do not think women should try to fool mother nature. Unfortunately we're much better off just to deal with it.
Ivory Dove

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Gail Perry wrote:
Actually the bioidenticals have been proven to be a very bad combination with breast cancer.
Birth control pills, unlike HRT, are not implicated in breast cancer. In fact they may have some protective effect.
That's comforting to me because I was on Ortho Novum
1/50 for about five years, off and on during the
1970's.
chanelglass

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Gail,
You were correct when you said that Women can have energy, and feel good minus Prempro, or other kinds of HRT. I was taking Prempro on and off for two years. I have decided for myself to go on this journey of menopause off Prempro. I feel fine and this is only my opinion.
bioidentical

Sun Prairie, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

I don't know where you get your information, but bio-identical has NOT BEEN PROVEN to be a precursor to breast cancer. I am on bioidentical, doses are small, helps tremendously. READ THE BOOKS and the FACTS, before you spew out a bunch of stuff you obviously know nothing about. OLD SCHOOL docs or those not wanting to LEARN about bioidentical are horrible. In med school, most doctors only study OB-Gyn for about 20 hours, that is why they know nothing about bio-identical or understand it, only if the "specialize" in it, do they start to understand the difference between bio-identical and synthetic hormones. I live in Madison WI and the UW-Wisconsin has a group of really great doctors that KNOW bio-identical well and we even have a compounding lab here that works very closely with women on bio-identical replacement. go to www.womenshealthamerica.com you will read a lot of information and get the facts, don't listen to old ladies who are retired in Florida on here that don't understand what bio-identical can really do for you and the great benefits ....
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Chanel I'm glad things are working out for you I know you've been struggling with this.

I really do have great sympathy for women who have severe menopausal symptoms. When I went on Femara it was like menopause cubed. I chose not to replace my sleep number bed with a waterbed, which is what we had when I went through menopause. For whatever reason, when the air is on, my bedroom gets more cooling than the rest of the place.

I'm going to mention the cooling scarve once again because I do a number of activities that I really enjoy but that keep me out of air conditioning. I have also gradually switched my wardrobe over to more cotton and less things like polyester. However, I'm retired. I don't have to wear business attire. I realize not all women can do these things.

I don't know what the solution is, but believe me, no one would want something that could safely be taken more than me.
ddd

Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

bioidentical wrote:
I don't know where you get your information, but bio-identical has NOT BEEN PROVEN to be a precursor to breast cancer. I am on bioidentical, doses are small, helps tremendously. READ THE BOOKS and the FACTS, before you spew out a bunch of stuff you obviously know nothing about. OLD SCHOOL docs or those not wanting to LEARN about bioidentical are horrible. In med school, most doctors only study OB-Gyn for about 20 hours, that is why they know nothing about bio-identical or understand it, only if the "specialize" in it, do they start to understand the difference between bio-identical and synthetic hormones. I live in Madison WI and the UW-Wisconsin has a group of really great doctors that KNOW bio-identical well and we even have a compounding lab here that works very closely with women on bio-identical replacement. go to www.womenshealthamerica.com you will read a lot of information and get the facts, don't listen to old ladies who are retired in Florida on here that don't understand what bio-identical can really do for you and the great benefits ....
I have been on the bioidentical hormone replacement cream for 4 months and I feel great! No more hot flashes, I can sleep soundly and it has helped with my depression. I do recommend BHRT to others.
friedcandy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

I do know that BHRT is unknown to alot of Drs. But the available research looks pretty good. The FDA did approve pellets many years ago but the company manufacturing them gave up maintaining that approval when pharmaceutical companies patented the pills. I'm not trying to be 30 again. I just want to be a woman again. Heck, I would settle for HUMAN. I did have the pellets inserted yesterday. I went to see an endochron yesterday too. She gave the same song and dance that it is normal to go thru menopause. I think some women have an easier time of it. But, I also know that we go through some of this unnaturally because we are exposed to so many chemicals and food that is not healthy. The whole process is the beginning to many diseases. Doctors are finding that thru natural replacement, they can keep patients out the emergency rooms and doctors offices longer. And if they can eliminate the risk for cancer by using BHRT all the better. Women in Europe have used this form of HRT for a long time. Most of the research is there but not all. I hope by the time my daughter needs help, there will be more proof. But for me I have to give it a try. I hope to wean myself off this stuff at some point.
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

I would love to see the evidence that menopause, which has been around as long as we have been human, is now caused by the environment.

Magical thinking will get us nowhere. There is NO horomon replacement that will not increase your risk of breast cancer. If you do get that kind of breast cancer, those hormomnes (of any kind) as well as some of the natural herbals promoted for helping menopause, will encouege the tumor growth.

it is a game of Russian roulette. The ONLY way to look at any kind of HRT is to be realistic about the risks.

By the way, if you do take any of these things, make sure you get a digital mammogram, and you might be smart to get an MRI every couple of years.

Do what you have to do, but do it with intelligence.
friedcandy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

I didn't say menopause was CAUSED by the environment. But the environment contributes to the speed and strength of what some women experience. It has already been shown that you can control some of what you experience through diet and healthy living. We are exposed to estrogen from all kinds of sources and they are not the best type for our bodies. Even the extra weight that you have on your body gives your body estrogen. And if that worked we wouldn't have to go for hormone replacement at all. Heck just gain a few extra pounds and presto, no need for replacement. Unfortunately it is estrone and not estradiol that our fat produces. In fact, you could be estrogen dominant if it was just estradiol. Chemicals from synthetics also mess with your body. I hope this is not the first time you have heard that. I feel sorry for you to be living in a closed environment where you only believe what you have been told and don't look into it further. It is NOT magical thinking and perhaps you should educate yourself further before you continue to voice your "all knowing" attitude. Closed-minded bitterness will not help the rest of world. And while you are educating yourself, look into the effects of natural progesterone. Watch it, your doctor only knows about progestin or medroxy -progesterone acetate and they are not the same as natural progesterone. I wish you the best.
friedcandy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Oh ya, did you know that most MRI machines in this country give off the same radiation as 600 x-rays. So if you are going for one, please ask if it is a newer version which gives off less. Of course you must realize that all forms of radiation do a number on your boobs. There is also the thought that smashing them and then x-raying them probably doesn't help either. Read SEX, LIES, AND MENOPAUSE. Pretty scary.
Gail Perry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2009

"I didn't say menopause was CAUSED by the environment. But the environment contributes to the speed and strength of what some women experience."

Evidence, please? I'm 63. I saw women going through the menopause in the fifties. No difference.

And NO, MRI machines do NOT use radiation.

I don't really want to pick on any one individual, but this is why people have to be extremely careful about what they believe based on what they've read online.

MRI's do not use radiation. That's just ... untrue. It's untrue in this country and it's untrue in other countries.

What you're thinking of are CT scans, which use a LOT of radiation. CT scans need to be used cautiously and I personally would ask LOTS of questions before having one. But not MRI's.

Earplugs -- really good earplugs (with no metal parts whatsoever) are extremely important for MRI's, but they don't use radiation.

Of course radiation affects breasts, as it affects all parts of the body. That's why an MRI is valuable, but it isn't good enough by itself. It's much more useful when combined with a digital mammogram.

The physical part of mammograms does not cause any problems either. As for the x-rays involved, the research shows that by age 40, the benefits GREATLY exceed the very small risk. Everything in medicine (and in life, really) is a risk/benefit ratio. If you cross the street you could be hit by a car, but if you stay in bed your metabolism will drop and you'll gain weight. You die of dehydration -- and from drinking too much water.

Along with urging great caution before acting on what one reads on line, I'm going to say the same thing about books. A person can say anything online OR in a book. Putting it in a book doesn't make it true.

Triple-check everything, including with your doctor, before believing things you come from shaky sources (that includes online AND books).

Publishers don't verify the contents of books, folks. Unless it's potentially libelous, they only look at whether the book will sell or not.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2009

Ivory Dove wrote:
<quoted text>
That's comforting to me because I was on Ortho Novum
1/50 for about five years, off and on during the
1970's.
That's interesting. After I went off Ortho-Novum, I found a breast lump. And it triggered acne that I still have trouble with today, more than 30 years later.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Breast Cancer Forum right now

Search the Breast Cancer Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Perry Hall Woman Makes 'Pretty Pockets' for Bre... (Oct '13) Jul 24 Jen 3
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) Jul 21 anomanis 857
Breast Cancer Study Jul 16 Texan 6
A cancer survivor shaves her head to raise money Jul 15 Voice of Reality 1
Breast cancer support group Jul 6 Nicki Boscia Durlester 1
Breast Massage With Cream Containing Pueraria M... (Apr '09) Jul 4 MAzu 245
Abortion (Jan '12) Jul 3 godless by choice 30
•••
•••