US Breast Cancer Deaths Falling But Not For African Americans

Oct 1, 2009 Full story: MediLexicon 6

Despite it being the most common cancer among women, death rates due to breast cancer continue to fall in the US, except for African Americans, where the rate remains steady.

Full Story
Gail Perry

Tampa, FL

#1 Oct 1, 2009
It's such a troubling report. I really want to know whether there's some genetic difference, some difference in the types of tumors Black women are likely to get compared to White women. We're not the only country with a mix of Black and White women. I wonder if these statistics hold up in Great Britain, for instance?
sandy smith

Houston, TX

#3 Oct 2, 2009
why??? I am african american with metastayic stage 3 breast cancer and getting ready to have a double breast removal, are my chances slimmer due to my race? or due to inadequate treatment? please respond soon i need reassurance please, thank you
Gail Perry

Tampa, FL

#4 Oct 2, 2009
Sandy I'm so sorry you're going through this. I don't believe your chances sre worse due to your race. Those statistics are just numbers that apply to broad groups. Once you have cancer, then your doctors have to evaluate your type of cancer to determine the group. Once one of us gets this disease we're a group of one.

I don't think the issue is inadequate treatment. They're speculating that some groups of people may not be getting in for things like mammograms that might catch it earlier, but some cancers grow faster than others. But there might also be some kind of genetic thing at play. They just don't know.

There might be some good studies going on you might be able to participate in. I know someone who survived metastatic breast cancer by doing that. It's a gamble; they won't be able to tell you much about side effects. But the whole scientific world wants to know why this is happening, and there are surely some research trials going on. You'd have to ask your oncologist about that.

I'll say a prayer for you. Many people live for years even with metastatic cancer, and I really do know someone who completely survived it by participating in a research trial.
sandy smith

Houston, TX

#5 Oct 2, 2009
thank you gail i am sure that the lord will have the ultimate decision as with ball things have a great day and i will pray for you also
Gail Perry

Tampa, FL

#6 Oct 2, 2009
Sandy, let us know how you're doing,'k?
Bobby

Europe

#7 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
P.F. Changs paints horses PINK for breast cancer Mon gochangs 2
Breast cancer takes its toll on younger women Sun Edward J Cejka 2
Breast-Feeding May Cut Risk for Aggressive Brea... Sep 27 --AAA-- 1
topamax & weight loss (Sep '07) Sep 22 shellybear21 592
Red Bluff post office helps stamp out breast ca... Sep 21 Voice of Reality 1
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) Sep 20 Gabriel11 862
'God has brought me through' Sep 16 Auntie Theist 39

Breast Cancer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE