Mammograms: For 1 life saved, 3 women...

Mammograms: For 1 life saved, 3 women overtreated

There are 1 comment on the Times Herald story from Oct 29, 2012, titled Mammograms: For 1 life saved, 3 women overtreated. In it, Times Herald reports that:

But that screening comes with a cost: The review found that for every life saved, roughly three other women were overdiagnosed, meaning they were unnecessarily treated for a cancer that would never have threatened their lives.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times Herald.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#1 Nov 1, 2012
I'm sorry, but would you rather be diagnosed with cancer and not have it, or undiagnosed with it and have it?

Right now there is no such thing as a perfect diagnosis, erring on the side of caution is the way our species survived and made it this far, and at least one truly treatable and deadly ailment is over diagnosed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 1 in 2 Canadians will get cancer, 1 in 4 will d... Jun 20 Anonymous 2
News Walk of Hope set for Sept. 11 to help battle ov... (Sep '11) Jun 20 less hope now 5
News Psychological intervention reduces fear of recu... Jun 6 Humanspirit 1
News Why Suzanne Somers loves bioidentical hormones (Jun '09) Jun 5 AmerPie Gorilla 96
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) May 28 John Harrington 886
News Hopkinsville to get downtown labyrinth (Oct '08) May '17 Getready 4
News More Asian American women getting breast cancer May '17 Sapluster 2
More from around the web