NHS drug to help fight bone cancer

Aug 16, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: This is Guernsey

Thousands of cancer patients whose disease has spread to the bone are to benefit from a new drug which is to be made available on the NHS.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
HumanSpirit
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

Judged:

How do know that this drug won't create greater damage to the health and welfare of the public. Trust your doctor. Trust the research. Both have lied for financial gain wiping out families' relationships and leaving people in greater medical harm and politically vunerable to a coup detat. The Republicans ALEC know all about this.

In the best interest of the public and the family is to except death.
Mila

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

Every prescription medication has its potential side effects which maybe harmful to the user. Fosamax lawsuit plaintiffs claim that the medication they have taken for their osteoporosis has caused them to become injured. http://www.fosamaxfemurfracturelawsuit.com
Jordan

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

It's good to know how medical experts continue to explore possibilities and discover new drug treatments for patients of different ailments. However, apart from the benefits, medications are also known to carry side effects. Bisphosphonate drugs like Fosamax are also being used as treatment to metastasized cancer in some cancer patients, but this also exposes them to the drug's potential adverse effects. I've read at http://www.fosamax-lawsuit.net/ how Fosamax may potentially cause femur fractures as an adverse effect in some patients.

Since: Mar 12

U.K

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

imo, we can never really know the full truth about any drug/medicine/therapy. There is so much rangleing that goes on amongst drug companies, the medical profession, political interests, involving money (usually). An (unrelated) example of this is the approval of aspartane (the sweetener) which was discovered by accident. It was originally denied drug approval (in the US, i think) until a politician (obviously with a vested interest) gained political status, and suddenly it was approved. It hadn't changed in any way, but it was not only approved but encouraged to be used (in all types of products). To me this was a clear case of deceit and money. There is also another thread on the cancer forum about a particular HRT treatment knowingly increasing the risk of breast cancer and yet it was allowed to be continued and patients were kept ignorant. We can only ever take information as it is given, try to find out more information and simply put our trust into it after weighting up the pros and cons from whatever we have. With something like metastisized (bone) cancer it's really a case of taking a risk because the alternative is risking losing one's life to cancer. It seems to me the more serious the disease the more risky/unpleasant the treatment often is; but it's always hopeful news that new (and hopefully improved) drugs are continuing to be developed.
Pharma Maims Kills

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

OR, this drug will kill thousands of consumers like MERCK'S VIOXX.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

Dream Carousel wrote:
imo, we can never really know the full truth about any drug/medicine/therapy. There is so much rangleing that goes on amongst drug companies, the medical profession, political interests, involving money (usually). An (unrelated) example of this is the approval of aspartane (the sweetener) which was discovered by accident. It was originally denied drug approval (in the US, i think) until a politician (obviously with a vested interest) gained political status, and suddenly it was approved. It hadn't changed in any way, but it was not only approved but encouraged to be used (in all types of products). To me this was a clear case of deceit and money. There is also another thread on the cancer forum about a particular HRT treatment knowingly increasing the risk of breast cancer and yet it was allowed to be continued and patients were kept ignorant. We can only ever take information as it is given, try to find out more information and simply put our trust into it after weighting up the pros and cons from whatever we have. With something like metastisized (bone) cancer it's really a case of taking a risk because the alternative is risking losing one's life to cancer. It seems to me the more serious the disease the more risky/unpleasant the treatment often is; but it's always hopeful news that new (and hopefully improved) drugs are continuing to be developed.
Aspartame and Rumsfield (Sterling pharmacutical) and the removed FDA director in a time when the Republicans danced on the heads of Americans and created illnesses for profits. No one needs to look further then Rumsfield and then president Bush mind drugging the troops for big boy profits.

U.S. military: Heavily armed and medicated

Marine Corporal Michael Cataldi woke as he heard the truck rumble past.

He opened his eyes, but saw nothing. It was the middle of the night, and he was facedown in the sands of western Iraq. His loaded M16 was pinned beneath him.

Cataldi had no idea how he'd gotten to where he now lay, some 200 meters from the dilapidated building where his buddies slept. But he suspected what had caused this nightmare: His Klonopin prescription had run out.

His ordeal was not all that remarkable for a person on that anti-anxiety medication. In the lengthy labeling that accompanies each prescription, Klonopin users are warned against abruptly stopping the medicine, since doing so can cause psychosis, hallucinations, and other symptoms. What makes Cataldi's story extraordinary is that he was a U. S. Marine at war, and that the drug's adverse effects endangered lives his own, his fellow Marines', and the lives of any civilians unfortunate enough to cross his path.

"It put everyone within rifle distance at risk," he says.

In deploying an all-volunteer army to fight two ongoing wars, in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Pentagon has increasingly relied on prescription drugs to keep its warriors on the front lines. In recent years, the number of military prescriptions for antidepressants, sleeping pills, and painkillers has risen as soldiers come home with battered bodies and troubled minds. And many of those service members are then sent back to war theaters in distant lands with bottles of medication to fortify them.

According to data from a U. S. Army mental-health survey released last year, about 12 percent of soldiers in Iraq and 15 percent of those in Afghanistan reported taking antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, or sleeping pills. Prescriptions for painkillers have also skyrocketed. Data from the Department of Defense last fall showed that as of September 2007, prescriptions for narcotics for active-duty troops had risen to almost 50,000 a month, compared with about 33,000 a month in October 2003, not long after the Iraq war began.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30748260/ns/healt...
Starts With Vaccines

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

Dream Carousel wrote:
It all starts with vaccines. They lead to mental illness like autism, PDD, ADHD, Aspergers, and cause cancers.
Shell C

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

While this seems like good news, I hope that this won't be too harsh on a cancer patient in terms of the side-effects associated with the drug. Most cancer drugs tend to be as bad as the disease as they take their toll on a patients body. http://www.fosamaxclassaction.us

Since: Nov 12

Pereira, Colombia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

NHS drug to help fight bone cancer.or more information on this please contact us on judepeters01@gmail.com
Frank Mann

Ashtabula, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

When will this drug be available.
I am interested as I have Lung Cancer that mastisized to my sternum.
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Mila wrote:
Every prescription medication has its potential side effects which maybe harmful to the user. Fosamax lawsuit plaintiffs claim that the medication they have taken for their osteoporosis has caused them to become injured. http://www.fosamaxfemurfracturelawsuit.com
By the time cancer has spread to the bones, you're terminal. There's no worse "side effect" than that. if there were a drug that could reverse THAT -- I'd risk anything.

It's just WRONG to come into here and try to scare people away from effective treatments. What are you selling?
Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Dream Carousel wrote:
Not THAT again ...

Oh gee, which would I prefer -- a broken leg, or ... dead? Let me think ...

I'll take the Fosamax. It helps PREVENT spread of cancer to the bones, which makes it

LIFE SAVING.

Shame on you.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Forced drugging by the judiciary to create a profit or go over the head or will of the parent or their decision in health care matters should be a human or civil rights issue.

Since: Dec 12

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2012

Judged:

HumanSpirit wrote:
Forced drugging by the judiciary to create a profit or go over the head or will of the parent or their decision in health care matters should be a human or civil rights issue.
I agree that it's a human rights issue. Parents have no right to deny their children life-saving treatment. The child should be taken away if necessary.

If the child stands no chance of surviving, that's a different matter, but when proven treatments exist it is medical child abuse to deny the child that proven treatment.

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2012

Judged:

Mila wrote:
We don't know, because it's a new drug. So what do we have here? A link to a LAW FIRM looking for clients. Wanting to make money off of YOUR DEVASTATING ILLNESS.

Bunch of vampires. The greater the risk of the illness, the greater the risk a person with that illness will take. For a lawyer to come sniffing around hoping to profit from that is just disgusting.

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2012

Judged:

Jordan wrote:
It's good to know how medical experts continue to explore possibilities and discover new drug treatments for patients of different ailments. However, apart from the benefits, medications are also known to carry side effects. Bisphosphonate drugs like Fosamax are also being used as treatment to metastasized cancer in some cancer patients, but this also exposes them to the drug's potential adverse effects. I've read at http://www.fosamax-lawsuit.net/ how Fosamax may potentially cause femur fractures as an adverse effect in some patients.
How odious and disgusting that is.

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2012

Judged:

HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text> Aspartame and Rumsfield (Sterling pharmacutical) and the removed FDA director in a time when the Republicans danced on the heads of Americans and created illnesses for profits. No one needs to look further then Rumsfield and then president Bush mind drugging the troops for big boy profits.
U.S. military: Heavily armed and medicated
Marine Corporal Michael Cataldi woke as he heard the truck rumble past.
He opened his eyes, but saw nothing. It was the middle of the night, and he was facedown in the sands of western Iraq. His loaded M16 was pinned beneath him.
Cataldi had no idea how he'd gotten to where he now lay, some 200 meters from the dilapidated building where his buddies slept. But he suspected what had caused this nightmare: His Klonopin prescription had run out.
His ordeal was not all that remarkable for a person on that anti-anxiety medication. In the lengthy labeling that accompanies each prescription, Klonopin users are warned against abruptly stopping the medicine, since doing so can cause psychosis, hallucinations, and other symptoms. What makes Cataldi's story extraordinary is that he was a U. S. Marine at war, and that the drug's adverse effects endangered lives his own, his fellow Marines', and the lives of any civilians unfortunate enough to cross his path.
"It put everyone within rifle distance at risk," he says.
In deploying an all-volunteer army to fight two ongoing wars, in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Pentagon has increasingly relied on prescription drugs to keep its warriors on the front lines. In recent years, the number of military prescriptions for antidepressants, sleeping pills, and painkillers has risen as soldiers come home with battered bodies and troubled minds. And many of those service members are then sent back to war theaters in distant lands with bottles of medication to fortify them.
According to data from a U. S. Army mental-health survey released last year, about 12 percent of soldiers in Iraq and 15 percent of those in Afghanistan reported taking antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, or sleeping pills. Prescriptions for painkillers have also skyrocketed. Data from the Department of Defense last fall showed that as of September 2007, prescriptions for narcotics for active-duty troops had risen to almost 50,000 a month, compared with about 33,000 a month in October 2003, not long after the Iraq war began.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30748260/ns/healt...
You have a far stronger agenda than the people you criticize.

Narcotics are PAIN KILLERS and many of our soldiers have been horribly maimed and injured in that war. OF COURSE The number has gone up -- the number of devastated, dismembered bodies still alive by some miracle has gone up.

How disgusting your post was. Let's just let them be blown up for their country -- and then deny them relief for the resulting pain. Now THAT'S a plan.

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2012

Judged:

Shell C wrote:
While this seems like good news, I hope that this won't be too harsh on a cancer patient in terms of the side-effects associated with the drug. Most cancer drugs tend to be as bad as the disease as they take their toll on a patients body. http://www.fosamaxclassaction.us
Screen name should have been shill, not "shell." Just another lawyer trying to get as much money as possible from other people's misery.

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2012

Judged:

mark088smirth wrote:
NHS drug to help fight bone cancer.or more information on this please contact us on judepeters01@gmail.com
While it's nice to see a positive post -- go to your doctor for advice on treatment, not some unknown person on the internet.

Since: Mar 12

U.K

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Gail Perry wrote:
<quoted text>
Not THAT again ...
Oh gee, which would I prefer -- a broken leg, or ... dead? Let me think ...
I'll take the Fosamax. It helps PREVENT spread of cancer to the bones, which makes it
LIFE SAVING.
Shame on you.
Shame on you for not reading all of my comment.
After pointing out the arguments against and problems with harsh drug treatments i ended with saying it was a case of weighting up the risks for benefits. It depends on the individual, how at risk they are, for instance. How can anyone deny that there are times when certain drugs do as much harm as good. There have even been cases of preventive drugs causing other cancers, as well as life threatening side effects, hardly comparable to a broken leg. People sometimes die, not from cancer but from cancer treatment. Yes they are more life saving than not but people should still be aware! Any new drug treatment is potentially a very good thing but it doesn't make it automatically a safe miracle.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••