Judge Awards Canceled Cancer Patient ...

Judge Awards Canceled Cancer Patient $9 Million

There are 4 comments on the cbs2chicago.com story from Feb 23, 2008, titled Judge Awards Canceled Cancer Patient $9 Million. In it, cbs2chicago.com reports that:

“The rug was pulled out from underneath, and that occurred at a time when she is diagnosed with breast cancer, one of the leading causes of death for women.”

A woman who had her medical coverage canceled as she was undergoing treatment for breast cancer has been awarded more than $9 million in a case against one of California's largest health insurers.

Patsy Bates, 52, a hairdresser from Gardena, had been left with more than $129,000 in unpaid medical bills when Health Net Inc. canceled her policy in 2004.

Arbitration judge Sam Cianchetti ordered Health Net to repay that amount while providing $8.4 million in punitive damages and $750,000 for emotional distress. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at cbs2chicago.com.

LINDA C

Manhattan, KS

#2 Mar 7, 2008
I AM SO GLAD SOMEONE TOOK THE TIME TO LOOK INTO WHAT THESE INSURANCES ARE DOING.
I AM STILL WATING FOR CLAIMS TO BE PAID FOR RADIATION THAT I HAD IN AUGUST--OCTOBER 2006 FOR BREAST CANCER, THAT THEY ARE CALLING"INVESTIGATION
EXPERMENTAL. I GET CHEMO EVERY WEEK, IT IS NOT LIKE THE BREAST CANCER APPEARED,OR SHOULD BE IN QUESTION. FOR 8 YEARS THIS INSURANCE HAS PAID FOR CHEMO AND RADIATION IT MAKES ME ANGRY , I AM STRESSED!!!
IT IS WITH THE HEALTH CARE ATTORNIES, AND I CALL EVERY MONTH--THIS MAKE NO SENSE TO ME. THIS IS THROUGH OUR PAID HEALTH INSURANCE--BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD---IT IS REALLY SAD.
I AM VERY GLAD FOR THIS LADYS' BLESSING!!!
Cancer Warrior

Eau Claire, WI

#3 Mar 8, 2008
Bravo to Patsy Bates and her legal team! I hope this starts a chain reaction and more insurance companies get their feet held to the fire over their inhumane practices. Dealing with cancer is hard enough without having to think one might have to quit their treatments, file bankruptcy,etc. because of unscrupulous insurance practices.
mjr

West Roxbury, MA

#4 Mar 8, 2008
The company owns Health Net. I find they sloowly stop covering many Rx. I cancelled them.
Medicare can recommend other firms.
Alfonso
#5 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plastic surgery's affordable to all (Apr '06) Jul '17 Bom 178
News Texas Man Offers $1 Billion For Cancer Cure (Jul '08) Jul '17 Andy 15
News 1 in 2 Canadians will get cancer, 1 in 4 will d... Jun '17 Anonymous 2
News Walk of Hope set for Sept. 11 to help battle ov... (Sep '11) Jun '17 less hope now 5
News Psychological intervention reduces fear of recu... Jun '17 Humanspirit 1
News Why Suzanne Somers loves bioidentical hormones (Jun '09) Jun '17 AmerPie Gorilla 96
I'm scared I might have male breast cancer =(!(... (Oct '06) May '17 John Harrington 886
More from around the web