'Setback' over breast cancer drug

'Setback' over breast cancer drug

There are 2 comments on the prestwichandwhitefieldguide.co.uk story from Mar 20, 2013, titled 'Setback' over breast cancer drug. In it, prestwichandwhitefieldguide.co.uk reports that:

A cancer charity has expressed its disappointment after the health regulator said a new drug to treat breast cancer was "not value for money". In new draft guidance, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence recommended that the drug everolimus should not be available for widespread use on the NHS to treat a form of advanced breast ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at prestwichandwhitefieldguide.co.uk.

Anonymous

Baguio City, Philippines

#1 Mar 21, 2013
This is a sad news especially for people who wish to look for the cure for their breast cancer.

Since: Feb 10

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 Mar 21, 2013
nurseamy12 wrote:
This is a sad news especially for people who wish to look for the cure for their breast cancer.
Except that even the manufacturer agrees that it's not a cure. Like many other drugs used for Stage IV, it can extend life for some months, but cannot cure. As of now they have no cure for metastasized breast cancer.

This IS why these experimental drugs are so expensive. The company has no doubt spent millions (many millions) developing this potential treatment, and unfortunately it doesn't perform any better than the other choices already on the market.

This IS a major reason why drugs cost so much. I don't know what the answer for it is, because we certainly don't want them to stop trying. This kind of research also led us to ... Tamoxifen ... and Herceptin. Both have saved many, many lives probably including mine.

By the way, the company that makes Herceptin absorbed the cost of the drug for me because I had no health insurance and was not wealthy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Breast Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fighting Breast Cancer - What You Can Do (Oct '11) Jan 5 LeroyMorris 8
Am free from breast cancer. (Nov '14) Jan 5 LeroyMorris 4
News Plastic surgery's affordable to all (Apr '06) Jan 4 watson983 177
Taxotere - side effects - permanent hair loss ! (Mar '09) Jan 3 Boo 367
News How much weight has Michelle Obama gained since... (Sep '09) Dec 20 West 11th 13
News Few Care for the Undocumented With Breast Cancer Dec '16 HOLLA ISABELLA 2
News Woman battling cancer 'humiliated,' 'violated' ... Dec '16 Well now 1
More from around the web