Ocella--generic for Yasmin
Satisfied

Long Beach, CA

#62 Oct 26, 2008
I was on Yasmine and switched to Ocella and absolutely nothing is different for me. My mood, acne, bloating, cramps, etc. is exactly the same. I think it just depends from person to person, but just in case anyone is reading this and is getting really scared about ocella, it's not horrible for everyone. Just be forworned that some people do not have a pleasant experience. Im sorry to anyone who has had a bad experience on Ocella and I don't deny at all that you did. I'm just saying as another person out there it was the same for me as Yasmin was.
Tif

Aurora, IL

#63 Oct 28, 2008
I had been on yasmin for almost 3 years and 3 months ago i started taking the generic, ocella. To be honest, I think i like it better! I haven't had any bad symptoms and my period was actually shorter, lighter and i barely had any cramps. I know that everyone's body is different, but I can honestly say that I don't miss yasmin, or spending the extra money.
Nicki

Colorado Springs, CO

#64 Oct 29, 2008
I was taking Yaz until my medicade changed me to Ocella. A few days after I started taking it, I started iching at my vaginal opening. IDK what to do. I have been taking it for about two months, and I still have the problem. Im 15 years old, and have never had sex, so I know it doesn't have anything to do with that. I haven't been able to talk to my doctor, but I feel to uncomfortable talking about it to my mom or doctor. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'd be really thankful for anything that will help.
sheila

United States

#65 Oct 30, 2008
I was on Yasmin for almost 2 years with no problems. I did not get cramps anymore and I had much shorter periods. Then I switched to Ocella for the same reason as everyone else and I have been experiencing the exact same side effects. I have been on it for 3 months. I have been miserable, even going to the doctor to see what's wrong with me....chest pains, the worst migranes ever where I feel as though my eyes are going to pop out of my head, depressed, nightmares every night, really natious AND I get cramps again. I just called up to switch next month!!!
Caitie-Liz

Portland, ME

#66 Oct 30, 2008
Like some people on this site.. I've never been on birth control before. I was prescribed Yasmine, but when I got in my car I noticed it was Ocella, the substitute. I'm really scared about trying this. Should I just go back and ask for Yasmine? Any suggestions?
sheila

United States

#67 Oct 30, 2008
YES!!!
Julie

Riverton, UT

#68 Oct 30, 2008
I hate hate hate ocella. I loved Yasmin and they gave me the stupid ocella even though my Dr. said to give me just yasmin. I have gained weight, broke out, headaches, breast tenderness, cravings, bad mood, everything like I am pregnant again. My poor husband is suffering. My hair is even falling out like I am pregnant, its crazy!! I hate it and will get the REAL Yasmin from now on!
Julie

Riverton, UT

#69 Oct 30, 2008
That happened to me when I got on Ocella too or some reason it made everything more moist down there and caused a REALLY horrible yeast infection. There is a good chance that is what it is if you are having really bad itching.
Amber

Atlanta, GA

#70 Oct 31, 2008
I've been taking Ocella for about a week and a half now.... it is also my first time taking any sort of birth control... and so far nothing has really affected me. Slight naseua at first but that's basically it... no other side effects. Enjoying it thus far.
Amber

Atlanta, GA

#71 Oct 31, 2008
Nicki wrote:
I was taking Yaz until my medicade changed me to Ocella. A few days after I started taking it, I started iching at my vaginal opening. IDK what to do. I have been taking it for about two months, and I still have the problem. Im 15 years old, and have never had sex, so I know it doesn't have anything to do with that. I haven't been able to talk to my doctor, but I feel to uncomfortable talking about it to my mom or doctor. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'd be really thankful for anything that will help.
This is something that you need to get checked out... examine yourself and check if you see anything around there... it's a possibility that you have a yeast infection. I had one for the first time and it SUCKED.(Although this happened just before I started taking the pill... so I can't blame it on that) I know you're uncomfortable about it, but you should really talk to your mom... that's what she's there for!:)
Kelli

United States

#72 Nov 1, 2008
I have been on depoprovera (the shot) for seven years. I was periodically getting migraines, so I finally called my doctor and asked if he could switch me to something else. I went to the pharmacist and Ocella was waiting for me. I took my first one Sunday night, not too bad. But Wed, Thurs, and Friday night I woke up with MAJOR hot flashes and intestinal problems. I cramp like crazy, like I think I might start, but while on the shot I only had two or three periods ever (over the seven years). And in less than one week, I have lost 5 lbs. Will this go away? Am I just adjusting? I thought the migraines sucked, I think I would take them back over this.
traci

Gainesville, FL

#73 Nov 3, 2008
I'm really happy to have found these posts. I have been a very long time user of Yasmin (over five years) and just switched (this is my second month) to Ocella. I hate it. I've gained five pounds (a lot for a 4'11 person) and have been feeling more depressed, bad acne, etc. I didn't make the connection, until just tonight thinking about what has changed recently. I was reluctant to even make the switch, wish I listened to my intuition.
Susie

San Francisco, CA

#74 Nov 4, 2008
I have been on Yasmin for 2 years and when the pharmacist gave me the generic I immediately told him to re-fill the brand name so I could have some time to do some research on the generic. I'm generally skeptical of generics, because of what I learned in a pharmacology class in college (keep in mind that I have an extremely limited knowledge of pharmacology, this one bit of info just stuck with me): generics must have the same active ingredients, dosage, and MOA. The things that can be different are inactive ingredients, coating, and the blood concentration curve. Meaning, the amount of the drug in the bloodstream over time does NOT have to be the same. And this could be affected by the other things that can be different, like the coating and the inactive ingredients.

If I'm deciding between Advil or Walgreen's brand ibuprofen, I'll save the money and go for the generic, because I just want my headache to go away. But when I'm looking at hormones, the blood concentration curve is really important because it's going to change the way I react to the drug, even if it doesn't change its effectiveness.

Anyway, I thought maybe that would explain some of why the generic form of the drug would be causing so many side-effects when they're theoretically supposed to be the same.
Kelli

United States

#75 Nov 4, 2008
Thanks Susie! I had taken an antidepressant several years ago with no problem. I decided I needed to take something again so my doctor went back to the same one, but this time, there was a generic. My lips, ears and face swelled up and I was covered in a horrible rash. So, yes there can be a difference (I don't have the pharmacology background, just the experience!)
trace

Inglewood, CA

#76 Nov 4, 2008
I just switched to Ocella the generic form of Yasmin and have noticed some serious side effects. I didn't notice the first week, but by the third week they are very obvious. I am feeling very anxious and somewhat paranoid. I also feel overly emotional and have cried for no reason. I also feel depressed at times. I have taken the branded form of Yasmin for the last several years and have never experienced anything like this. I am switching back to the branded Yasmin.
christina

Mount Juliet, TN

#77 Nov 5, 2008
i agree with catlin at the top i have never taken any other birth control before ive been taking ocella for bout 4 months now but im constently having a late period or if i miss a pill i will have 2 periods in one month im always moody i wouldnt recommend ocella at all
Michelle

Saint Paul, MN

#78 Nov 5, 2008
I started taking Ocella 4 months ago, I was switched due to health insurance coverage from Yasmin. I was on Yasmin for 3 years. I suffer severe PMS, Bloating,you name it. With Yasmin it all went away. Since back on the generic all symptoms are back, I even took a break for a month then went back on Ocella again, same symptoms. It is not the same pill as Yasmin. Now I will pay the insurance difference for Yasmin it is worth it.
Caitlin wrote:
I just started taking Ocella, the generic version of Yasmin. I've never taken any birth control pill before, so I don't have anything to compare to. Ocella is supposed to have the same active ingredients as Yasmin, but I've read that many women had no problems with Yasmin during the time they were on it, but switched to Ocella and began having really bad side affects. Has anyone taken Ocella, or even better taken Yasmin and then switched to the generic, that can share their experience? Any advice?
Michelle

Saint Paul, MN

#79 Nov 5, 2008
So glad to here another person is having similar effects. I to have had similar emotional episodes on it. I knew it was not all in my head. Read my comments to Catlin.
trace wrote:
I just switched to Ocella the generic form of Yasmin and have noticed some serious side effects. I didn't notice the first week, but by the third week they are very obvious. I am feeling very anxious and somewhat paranoid. I also feel overly emotional and have cried for no reason. I also feel depressed at times. I have taken the branded form of Yasmin for the last several years and have never experienced anything like this. I am switching back to the branded Yasmin.
Liana

Metairie, LA

#80 Nov 6, 2008
I've been taking ocella for 4 months now, and I have gained almost 20 lbs!!! I also have problems with increased appetite and breast tenderness. I am also extremely moody and irritable all the time. I originally thought it was stress from work, but after reading everyone's comments I am switching back to my old birth control. Hope this helps!
Lauren

Rome, NY

#81 Nov 6, 2008
I was on Yasmin for five years with absolutely no problems. Then, I switched to Ocella a few months ago because it was so much cheaper. I noticed something was definitely different about me. There were little things like breast tenderness and more irritability, but my biggest complaint was my libido. It totally disappeared, and my libido has never been a problem before. I went to my doctor today and she switched me back to Yasmin. Apparently while the two pills are supposed to be the same, people's bodies can react differently to them since the pills are not manufactured exactly the same way. Avoid Ocella!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 17 hr Cris 1,472
Tri-Sprintec (May '08) Sat ciera 171
2 weeks Of breakthrough bleeding on Althea pills (Nov '13) Jul 23 Girlie 9
Jadelle... The arm implant .... (Nov '11) Jul 20 Jojo 34
Active or inactive pills when starting BC Jul 20 Srsly_confused 1
Copper IUD experiences (Apr '11) Jul 19 youngmomma 181
Tri Lo Sprintec side effects - anxiety? (Aug '09) Jul 16 Brianna 425
More from around the web