Ocella--generic for Yasmin
Kay

Greenport, NY

#607 May 7, 2011
After switching from Yasmin to Ocella, for the past year ive been having reouccuring yeast infections back to back. Im going to switch back to Yasmin and hopefully they will stop
Kayla

Hot Springs National Park, AR

#608 Jun 8, 2011
I've been on Ocella for a little over a month now and I have had pretty bad headaches everyday. I am so on edge too I get so stressed out taking care of my two little ones and I just wanna hit stuff and cuss and I just get very edgy. I have wanted to eat alot more too, and I have cravings. I don't have alot of energy anymore either. I hate it, the headaches are probably so bad because I have a history of headaches and migraines, I swear I told my doctor that and she is aware of the PCOS and this is what she recommended. Well actually it was the yasmin but I can't afford it :(
switching from dep shot

Bowling Green, OH

#609 Jun 27, 2011
Meg wrote:
I just started Ocella 2 weeks ago because I came off the depo shot hoping that a birth control pill would help with my acne that i've tried everything to get rid of it and nothing helps. I haven't noticed a difference in my acne yet, and I have experienced no side effects. Has anyone had Ocella help their acne?
I've just switched from the depo shot to ocella as well. How has it worked out for you? Any side effects? I'm nervous to start it tomorrow.
Candice

Garden City, MI

#610 Jul 1, 2011
Well I'm about to be starting ocella here soon and after reading all the post im nervous. But you know what if it doesn't work out I can always change it that's how I think about it. Like many have said.our bodies react differently so you won't know how it is going to work until you've tried it. I'm going to be optimistic because I have a great gyno and I trust her!
Ellen

Milwaukee, WI

#611 Jul 16, 2011
I took Yasmin for 2 years and had no problems. Then I got switched to Ocella. That was fine other then my decrease in sex drive. Then, this past Dec. they gave me Zarah. I figured if it was like Ocella, no problems. Boy was I wrong! At first I was ok. I had slightly more acne but nothing too noticeable. Then over the course of the next few months I started to notice a change in my moods. So did the people around me. I started crying for no reason, getting upset over little things and I find myself crying at work when I am alone. I also started having suicidal thoughts. That is not me at all! It also completely zapped my sex drive. Had none whatsoever. I seriously felt asexual. I don't remember ever feeling like this! It is destroying my life and my relationship with my boyfriend. I stopped the pill a few days ago and refuse to go back. My pharmacy refuses to give me the full version of Yasmin and only presents me with this generic crap Zarah. So forget it. At this point I would rather have a kid or two then deal with wanting die on a regular basis. So not worth it. I really hope that someone stops these horrible pills from being marketed. Especially the ones that make you feel completely hopeless and useless. Just very disgusted at this point.
Ellen

Milwaukee, WI

#612 Jul 16, 2011
I just wanted to add, the only good thing about Ocella was that it did prevent pregnancy and it did help with my acne. But Zarah made my acne worse. Please beware of Zarah and don't take that crap!
Cassie

Meriden, CT

#613 Jul 31, 2011
I was on Ocella for about 3 years and I had absolutely no problems.. I actually lost weight... But because of my mom having to change insurance polices I just recently switched to Sprintec. Although after reading the awful reviews people wrote about Sprintec (hair loss!!) I'm about to just suck up to spending the $40 a month and go back to Ocella because it was such a good pill
Brittany

Columbus, OH

#614 Jul 31, 2011
I took Ocella for 2 months and developed multiple blood clots that settled in my right lung and right pulmonary artery. I just got out of the hospital a week ago Monday. I will no longer take any kind of hormonal pills other than the one for my thyroid. No way. I do not have a predisposition for clots as blood work has confirmed. And the only change in my routine was taking the Ocella.

If you suddenly are breathing hard for no apparent reason, feeling like you can't get enough oxygen, have chest pains when you inhale or bend over, or feel lightheaded seek emergency care immediately!

I saw my doctor 2 days after the severe heavy breathing and she (not being my normal GP as he was out of the office) diagnosed me as having asthma and (which I already have) and she sent me on my way with 2 prescriptions. One for an emergency inhaler and one for Pulmicort (a steroid powder inhaler similar to Advair). Those I routinely used before when my asthma was bad when I was smoking a year and a half ago. She said follow up with your GP in 2 weeks. So I waited 2 weeks and didn't get much better. I saw my GP and he was very concerned with my pulse rate when I walk. It was 159 just walking around a little bit... He listened to my lungs and heart very well and scheduled an emergency appointment for a CT scan with Contrast at a local hospital. They found blood clots. They sent me to the ER. The ER admitted me into the hospital. I was there Friday the 22nd, through Monday the 25th. I went home on Lovenox (an injectable blood thinner) as well as Warfarin (a pill blood thinner) I see my doctor on Tuesday for a one week follow up. I did blood work on Wednesday last week. Hopefully the blood thinner is now at a good level in my blood. The INR is supposed to be between 2 and 3. It was at 1.75 when I left the hospital. So be careful! Watch out for those signs!

I still have blood clots in my lung and artery so I have to be careful. And I still get heavy breathing when I walk any distance. But I'm alive and I'm thankful. So no more birth control pills for me! I was prescribed them to help regulate my periods as I have PCOS.
Lauren Cumberland

Coudersport, PA

#615 Sep 1, 2011
I just want to say that as far as birth control goes... it makes some women, and not all gain weight. I'm in med school and they will tell you that "any more than 5 lbs is your own fault" and it is, but birth control makes it hard for you to lose weight, so definitely watch your weight. Personally for me, Ocella has cleared my skin and taken me up two cup sizes, but over the past year i've put on 12 lbs. I plan on going off as an experiment to see if i lose weight, but just know its a risk, and if your into long term birth control consider a copper IUD or mirena, the hormone is more local so you should (theoretically) have less overall effects
Kristen

Santa Ana, CA

#616 Sep 16, 2011
I was on the Depo shot for about 10 years, then decided to finally get off of bc all together for about a year. Earlier this month I decided to try the "pill" again after not being on any form of bc for a year. I am getting off of this crap ASAP. Over the past 3 weeks of being on it I am cramping, I am irritable, my breasts are killing me, and I have emotional crying fits for no reason. My friends and boyfriend think I am crazy.
FrustratedBCuser

Kingsport, TN

#617 Sep 22, 2011
Where did you find Ocella for $15/month? Or is this your price with insurance. I personally had a great experience with Ocella a year ago, and I am wanting to switch back to it after a really bad experience on the generic of Seasonale (Quasense). However, my insurance plan does not cover it despite the fact that they claim to cover all generic birth controls, and Walgreens told me it was around $70/month, which is ridiculous for a generic. My doc switched me to Mononessa, but I have heard bad things. I'd rather stick to something I know my body handled well.
Gem438

Los Angeles, CA

#618 Nov 1, 2011
I have been experiencing continual bleeding for about 2 weeks now while on yasmin. I was first on ocella for about 4 months, i had no problems, then i switched to yasmin, and im bleeding (heavily) while on the active pills. Is that common for yasmin, has anyone experienced that and continued taking the pills until the bleeding stopped?
Kelli Jo

Rochester, MN

#619 Nov 7, 2011
I have notttttttttthing negative to say about Ocella! At first, I was sopp upset when my doctor switched me from my first birth control to yasmin. I went with it and took yasmin for two or so months...had the typical: weight gain, bloating, but nice skin. I was irrate when one day I could only get Ocella. I got a few hard pimples near my ear/cheek region for about two months, but I listen to my doc and "waited it out". IT WAS COMPLETELY worth it! I haven't got a bad pimple in the past 11 months since on Ocella. I am only 5'4, 5'3 and have got significantly bigger breasts from it, but at times that isn't so bad. Overall, I am happy on it and completely emotionally and physically happy with myself. My sex drive lacked a little at first, but its well above normal now. I dont want to push this pill, but I actually lost weight consitantly the past year. I went off it for one week and felt greasy and bloated...which is strange for me. So i bought another pack today. <3 I love it :)
Brybry

Fountain Hills, AZ

#620 Nov 9, 2011
Kelli Jo wrote:
I have notttttttttthing negative to say about Ocella! At first, I was sopp upset when my doctor switched me from my first birth control to yasmin. I went with it and took yasmin for two or so months...had the typical: weight gain, bloating, but nice skin. I was irrate when one day I could only get Ocella. I got a few hard pimples near my ear/cheek region for about two months, but I listen to my doc and "waited it out". IT WAS COMPLETELY worth it! I haven't got a bad pimple in the o 11 months since on Ocella. I am only 5'4, 5'3 and have got significantly bigger breasts from it, but at times that isn't so bad. Overall, I am happy on it and completely emotionally and physically happy with myself. My sex drive lacked a little at first, but its well above normal now. I dont want to push this pill, but I actually lost weight consitantly the past year. I went off it for one week and felt greasy and bloated...which is strange for me. So i bought another pack today. <3 I love it :)
It is nice to see a positive comment about Ocella. I start my first pack on Sunday.(11-13) I will report back probably a fee weeks from then to give my review. Although my doctor said to give a Birth Control atleast 3 months for all of the crazy side effects to stop. It's normal for your body to do all sorts of weird things when you start any type of prescription. Let it get the hang of your new pill. And don't be so quick to judge.!:)

Email me if you would like: [email protected]
Anna

United States

#621 Nov 9, 2011
I have taken yaz for three years for birth control reasons and just this month suddenly changed per pharmacy advice to the generic even thou my gyn does not like generics and will not percribe them even if you ask. Since I've had Nausea with some vomiting, my face is broken out, breakthrough bleeding, gi upset, and mood swings that are noticible by others! I hate it! Next month in requesting the brand name no matter the cost! My boyfriend said he would even pay if ut would make the mood swings ho away lol bless his heart! I am a nurse and I know this isn't normal. In fact I am a post partum nurse!
Aubrey

Santa Barbara, CA

#622 Nov 11, 2011
I've been taking Ocella for about nine months now after using the NuvaRing (which I LOVED but was too expensive) and am only now starting to experience side effects. I'm nauseous and have a loss of appetite as well as cramp-like feelings. I'm not pregnant (which I was worried about at first) so now I'm wondering why this birth control is making me sick.
Summer

Cullowhee, NC

#623 Nov 30, 2011
I recently started taking Ocella after being on yaz for a while. About a week after i switched I have become extremely depressed and paranoid about everything. It seems as though I have no passion in me anymore for anything. I havent had many other symptoms except for headaches and some fatigue and exaustion. But this depression thing is killing me. Its making my relationship with my boyfriend suffer. Ive been waking up the past few mornings feeling like death. And I am normally an outgoing and happy person. Ocella is shit. Has anyone else had severe depression symptoms after switching to Ocella?
JazzyKate

Pacific, WA

#625 Dec 18, 2011
This is my 6th day of being on ocella and so far no problems. Im 21 and this is the first time i've been on birth control before. I just miscarried 3 weeks ago, and im hoping this form of bc puts my body on track!
CaB

Greenbelt, MD

#626 Jan 11, 2012
I recently stopped taking Ocella because I have been diagnosed with an unrelated health issue that the estrogen might conflict with. I wish I hadn't! I've had breakouts on my face, I've gained weight, and I'm hungry all the time. I saw an old post that mentioned Ocella might be a diuretic, and I think that was the case for me, too, because I used to get up 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom, and now I don't. Maybe that's what the weight gain is from. I haven't gotten my period yet, so I don't know what the cramps will be like, but they were very mild or non-existent while on the Ocella. I hope my doctor will agree to let me go back on.
Netta

Beaumont, TX

#627 Jan 23, 2012
I was on ocella for about two years then I stopped taking it due to the price being so much. I have read most of the reviews about the bad mood swings and i am just now thinking my mom was right about my mood swings changing. Once I got off ocella everything was okay still the same never had heavy periods. Then I decided to get back on ocella like five months ago. I've noticed I've had bladder infections and I am more prone to yeast infections. Also I do get nausea and a loss of appetite. Should I get off the pill?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Wed Mini 1,696
Trinessa- VERY different from Ortho Tri Cyclen (Apr '10) Sep 19 iluvmusic29 59
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) Sep 16 Arie 3,637
Tri-Sprintec (May '08) Sep 16 Alysha 175
Mirena removal and bleeding? Sep 15 Tinac 3
How long does heavy bleeding last after the rem... (Sep '15) Sep 14 Jenna 2
Evil Mirena Sep 14 ihatemirena 2
More from around the web