Ocella--generic for Yasmin

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

First Prev
of 34
Next Last
Caitlin

San Jose, CA

#1 Sep 14, 2008
I just started taking Ocella, the generic version of Yasmin. I've never taken any birth control pill before, so I don't have anything to compare to. Ocella is supposed to have the same active ingredients as Yasmin, but I've read that many women had no problems with Yasmin during the time they were on it, but switched to Ocella and began having really bad side affects. Has anyone taken Ocella, or even better taken Yasmin and then switched to the generic, that can share their experience? Any advice?
nicole

United States

#2 Sep 16, 2008
hey caitlin, i have the same question and i'm sorry i cant help to give you an answer yet, but most women I've talked to HATED the switch, the problem is everyones body reacts completely differently, so you'll never know until you give it a fair chance/trial. i was given ocella without any notice yesterday...i was supposed to start taking it last night but I've also read more horror stories than anything about this generic junk. so now I'm hesitant to even TRY it. how long have you been taking it and how are you feeling?
jess

Concord, NH

#3 Sep 17, 2008
I was taking Yasmin at 50$ a month and about two months in i was automatically switched to Ocella (with the much more palatable price of $15) I spoke with the pharmicist and my GYN about the switch and they both assured me that the active ingredients are the same in the same ammounts. i have not noticed any really rediculous side effects... i think (though it may be psychological) that it is not doing as much for the side effects taht the yasmin was getting rid of (mood swings, breast tenderness, cramping etc) though it is definately stil better than with no birth control pills. Anywho you should be able to ask your GYN for a perscription that says "No Substitute" on it and then they can't just give you the generic brand.
Caitlin

San Jose, CA

#4 Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for the responses.
I've been taking Ocella for only 4 days now. So far I generally haven't had any side effects, besides a little bloating/cramps. But that could just be caused by other things, I'm not sure. My period stopped the day after I started taking it, and I had only had it for about 2 and a half days, so that was nice. I definitely haven't had anything like the horrible side effects I read about, though. But, like I said, it's only the 4th day. My body is still getting used to it. And I agree that it may be a psychological thing, switching to a generic version and making yourself think it's negatively effecting your body, or maybe it really is worse, but since I never took Yasmin I can't compare. Anyway, I'll see how Ocella goes.
Becky

Anderson, IN

#5 Sep 18, 2008
I just started taking it not to long ago, but i do have something to compare it to and on other birth control id get sick to my stomach but i havent not with ocella...my period was shorter then usual but i do have bad cramping on and off
nicole

United States

#6 Sep 18, 2008
thanks all of u, keep us posted how you're doin on this new b.c. I finally got the guts to start it last night...we'll see how it goes. I do believe its very easy to psych yourself out. i'm not tryin 2 be sketchy or picky but this is my body! I was perfectly fine on yasmin & why change something if you know it works well for you. But I didnt have a CHOICE, as if there arent enough things to worry about. Geez i get really frustrated, maybe a side effect? lol
Hmm

Waterford, MI

#7 Sep 19, 2008
nicole wrote:
thanks all of u, keep us posted how you're doin on this new b.c. I finally got the guts to start it last night...we'll see how it goes. I do believe its very easy to psych yourself out. i'm not tryin 2 be sketchy or picky but this is my body! I was perfectly fine on yasmin & why change something if you know it works well for you. But I didnt have a CHOICE, as if there arent enough things to worry about. Geez i get really frustrated, maybe a side effect? lol
So were the people who didn't know of a generic for Yasmin until it was given to them suddenly just psyched out? We all took it in good faith that it was JUST LIKE the Yasim like the pharmacists said. I really don't think this is all in our heads.

Your little joke at the end of your post regarding side effects and frustration wasn't appreciated honestly. Maybe when you feel as bad as some of us felt on this pill you'll take it seriously.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
so far so good

San Jose, CA

#8 Sep 19, 2008
hmmm looks like some normal affects of the pill aren't working for someone...(i.e. reducing pms)
nicole i completely understand/agree. good luck!
tormented in paradise

Miami, FL

#9 Sep 21, 2008
I took Ocella in good faith when the pharmacy changed my medicine without notice. was told it was the same as Yaz. I've taken Yasmin 28 and YAZ and experience no side effects. In one month of Ocella, I have lost feeling in part of my right leg, my mood is erratic to say the best, I am nausea, cranky, exhausted, experiencing pains similar to PCOS (which is why I take BC), and my GI system is in chaos. I am definitely not myself and I think I am losing my mind. The pharmacy will not do anything because the generic brand is what they supply. I have never had problems with generics before and the people who are saying that this is in my head are really irritating.
Caitlin

San Jose, CA

#10 Sep 21, 2008
okay so it's been a week. so far i've noticed some minimal cramping, which i mentioned before, but that's actually gone away..it was mostly during the first few days. besides that, i've noticed a slight increase in breast size, and i'm starting to break out in places on my face where i never usually do (my lower cheeks mainly). I'm really disappointed about that because I was really hoping that starting birth control would help clear up my skin, like it does for some people. i guess i'll see what happens in the next few weeks...
kim

Spring, TX

#11 Sep 21, 2008
tormented in paradise wrote:
I took Ocella in good faith when the pharmacy changed my medicine without notice. was told it was the same as Yaz. I've taken Yasmin 28 and YAZ and experience no side effects. In one month of Ocella, I have lost feeling in part of my right leg, my mood is erratic to say the best, I am nausea, cranky, exhausted, experiencing pains similar to PCOS (which is why I take BC), and my GI system is in chaos. I am definitely not myself and I think I am losing my mind. The pharmacy will not do anything because the generic brand is what they supply. I have never had problems with generics before and the people who are saying that this is in my head are really irritating.
my daughter starting taking ocella in july. she has not been herself since. she switched back to yasmin in september. she cries alot and for no apparent reason. she has said she feels like she is losing her mind. her moods are erractic too. one minute she is fine, the next she is crying. she says she feels like screaming in her skin. she too has pcos. her gi system is a mess. last evening she had diarrhea 4 times. this is not in her head. we are at a loss as to how to help? she has some stress in her life. can it be this drug? how long did you take ocella?
jebrewer

Houston, TX

#12 Sep 21, 2008
I've taken Yasmin with no problems for the last 3 years. It was perfect for me. Last month I switched to generic (Ocella) only because it was so much cheaper. However, the torture I experienced as a result was absolutely NOT worth it! I have cried everyday, slept more than ever, and felt extremely depressed (even suicidal!)over this last month. I really felt like I was losing all control of myself. I called my GYN and she said they've gotten a lot of complaints about the generic. I'm switching back to Yasmin next month!
In paradise

Miami, FL

#13 Sep 22, 2008
kim wrote:
<quoted text>my daughter starting taking ocella in july. she has not been herself since. she switched back to yasmin in september. she cries alot and for no apparent reason. she has said she feels like she is losing her mind. her moods are erractic too. one minute she is fine, the next she is crying. she says she feels like screaming in her skin. she too has pcos. her gi system is a mess. last evening she had diarrhea 4 times. this is not in her head. we are at a loss as to how to help? she has some stress in her life. can it be this drug? how long did you take ocella?
I just started Ocella last month. I am going off of it and seeing a doctor. My GYN is up North and I cannot see her. Your daughter is still experiencing the side effects even though she switched back?
Anne
Lisa

Perrysburg, OH

#14 Sep 22, 2008
Hi, I starting taking Ocella two months ago after our insurance forced me to switch from Yasmin-which I had been on for years. I just called today to see if the doctor could try to force the insurance company to switch me back to Yasmin. Since taking Ocella I have have mood swings, been more tired than normal, had cramps and bloating with low back pain- and also a big increase in vaginal mucous,that seems to stay there all the time. I also had a yeast infection which is very unusual for me. Hope this helps-good luck!
Jamie

United States

#15 Sep 22, 2008
I have been taking Yasmin for about 3 years and haven't had any problems. Last week I went to pick-up my prescription and was surprised it only cost $5. When I got home I realized I was given a generic version of Yasmin. I started taking it and have felt bloated and moody since. I have been bleeding non-stop, had headaches, cramps (I never have cramps), and recently experienced nausea and vomiting. I went to my pharmacist yesterday and requested the Yasmin. I’ll pass on Ocella.
I really think pharmacist should inform you that they are giving you a generic product. However, in Texas the law states they aren’t required to tell you....Why?
mom

Ballwin, MO

#16 Sep 22, 2008
Caitlin wrote:
I just started taking Ocella, the generic version of Yasmin. I've never taken any birth control pill before, so I don't have anything to compare to. Ocella is supposed to have the same active ingredients as Yasmin, but I've read that many women had no problems with Yasmin during the time they were on it, but switched to Ocella and began having really bad side affects. Has anyone taken Ocella, or even better taken Yasmin and then switched to the generic, that can share their experience? Any advice?
My daughter swtiched to Ocella after taking yasmin for 2 year without any side affects (to save money) she immediately had all these odd side affects, breakthrough bleeding, stomach pain, insatiable hunger, face breaking outetc etc- we finished the cycle and went back to yasmin- there was a huge difference for my daughter
mom

Ballwin, MO

#17 Sep 22, 2008
my daughter tried ocella- after being on yasmin for 2 years without any side affects. She immediately started breakthrough bleeding, stomach pain, hungry all the time, lost weight, diarrhea and on and on. She finished the packet and switched back to yasmin- guess we are stuck with the cost. Bummer- this is one generic that is NOT the same
In paradise

Miami, FL

#18 Sep 22, 2008
mom wrote:
my daughter tried ocella- after being on yasmin for 2 years without any side affects. She immediately started breakthrough bleeding, stomach pain, hungry all the time, lost weight, diarrhea and on and on. She finished the packet and switched back to yasmin- guess we are stuck with the cost. Bummer- this is one generic that is NOT the same
How long has she been off Ocella? Is she still experiencing side effects?
Has anyone else experienced loss of sensation in extremities?
Shaelyn

San Jose, CA

#19 Sep 23, 2008
I had never taken birth control pills and i was given Ocella at the pharmacy. Our HMO covers generics. I had notbing to compare it to so i can't really say anything for or against it. I will say that i have had absolutely no problems with it so far. i hope that continues! It's been a few months and i can't really say one bad thing against it at this point. good luck to those with issues.
Cee

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Sep 23, 2008
I do not think it is psychological. This is my second pack on Ocella. In July, my prescription was already filled with this generic, so i took it, not thinking much of it- I thought it was the same thing. My first month, I noticed I gained 4 pounds (probably more now- to scared to check) I felt nauseous and dizzy but didn't think much of it. Just thought i was stressed from work. All i can remember telling my self the last few weeks is that my body does not feel right. I constantly feel bloated and I never felt like that on Yasmine. And if i did i know what i have to do which is eat right and work out and that hasn't work. I do think everyone's body is different. But i do think this pill has shown more complaints than compliments to the average person. I plan on switching back to Yasime, which i was on for five years, without a problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 34
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) 4 hr kissy 3,595
Birth Control Pill That Increases Sex Drive (May '07) 13 hr anyadance 254
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 23 hr Tanikins 1,438
Tri-Nessa (Feb '07) 23 hr LoriD 902
Side effects of stopping Yaz Birth Control (Jan '10) May 26 Really__ 18
Copper IUD experiences (Apr '11) May 25 JAK 173
Copper IUD and recurring pain (Sep '12) May 22 Lauren 143
More from around the web