Off birth control, still no sex drive!

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Andrea

AOL

#1 Feb 13, 2008
I had been on birth control pills for a year and half when I finally went off because of losing all of my previously wonderful sex drive (noticed this around six months), along with increased sexual pain and no lubrication. I was switched around to lots of pills, Alesse, Microgestin, Lutera, Ortho-Evra, and then Cyclessa before I went off 2 1/2 months ago. I've only noticed a decrease in the sexual pain caused by a slight improvement in lubrication. Before, we would try, and I would never get lubricated and it would hurt soo much and now it hurts initially but gets somewhat wet after a minute or so...still no desire or pleasure though. How long after going off birth control will it take for my sex drive to return?

“Bahamian Mami”

Since: Feb 08

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Feb 23, 2008
I got my sex drive back immediately. I stopped taking the pill (Microgestin) three weeks ago. Hopefully yours will come back soon.
Shelley

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#3 Feb 23, 2008
I have been on the pill for close to 5 years and never lost my sex drive.. I guess you could say it increased. I guess everyone is affected differently.
Andrea

AOL

#4 Mar 4, 2008
it's still not back...it's been 3 months now
Kaye

Aurora, IL

#5 Mar 18, 2008
Andrea, I feel your pain. I switched from the shot, to lo-estrin, to the ring. I kept having extended periods and mood swings on all of them. About two months ago, I started noticing my sex drive going down and the lack of personal lubrication. I quit everthing a month and a half ago. I'm still not enjoying sex when I can actually bear to have it. A girlfriend of mine had similar problems. It took almost 6 months for her to get back to normal. I'm hoping it's not that long. I'm a newlywed and want my sex life back.
Andrea

AOL

#6 Apr 5, 2008
Ya it's now been over 4 months..no improvement...my doc is stumped and says trying testosterone shots (which may be the problem) can have nasty side effects. plus, just testing all my hormones to see what's wrong will cost a lot.
Darcie

Woodbridge, VA

#7 May 15, 2008
I have been all over this forum to see if anyone knows of any type of Birth control that will not effect sex drive. I have been on several types and also IUD. My husband has been understanding but I hate it. I feel so great when I am not on anything but I need to be on something. Has anyone tried diaphrams??
Andrea

AOL

#8 Jun 6, 2008
k...it's now been over 1 year with no sex drive and about 6 months since i stopped the pill. my doc put me on yaz recently which she assured me was the only thing besides the nuvaring proven to have no effect on sex drive, but, not wanting to mess around with more pills, i went off of it only a month after taking it. im now just waiting it out for a few more months; then, i'll probably take the leap and go through all the testing.
Rachel

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Jun 13, 2008
My mom is the only one I knew who used a diaphram. She loved it and it worked great for her, until after she gave birth to her first child (my older brother) and then it wouldn't ever stay in anymore. It totally altered something in there I guess. I'd say give it a try though, what's to loose? I say, desperate enough, if you can, why not?

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Since: Apr 08

Westport, MA

#10 Jun 30, 2008
Andrea wrote:
k...it's now been over 1 year with no sex drive and about 6 months since i stopped the pill. my doc put me on yaz recently which she assured me was the only thing besides the nuvaring proven to have no effect on sex drive, but, not wanting to mess around with more pills, i went off of it only a month after taking it. im now just waiting it out for a few more months; then, i'll probably take the leap and go through all the testing.
Well, I don't know about that fact... about the ring not affecting sex drive. The ring is THE only thing I can really do for BC. I forget pills, and my tipped uterus makes it impossible to place an IUD. I went from the patch, which is where I started noticing a lack of desire, to the nuvaring, which has not helped. Once I "get started", I'm okay. It's just, I'm never in the mood.

I tried going off the rig for a few months, with no change, so I just went back on it. At least when I'm on it and we do it, he can feel it... LOL.
Lib

Panama City, FL

#11 Jul 1, 2008
Andrea wrote:
I realize that BC pills affect every woman differently, but i wanted to warn you before you continue taking Yaz. I stopped taking it about 2 weeks ago after being on the pill for 6 months. At about 3 or 4 months i noticed decreased sex drive, which became a million times worse during the 5th and 6th months. I'm hoping my libido comes back within the next couple of weeks, but as of now I still feel like it's at zero. I would advise you to just proceed cautiously if any of your doctors tell you Yaz is proven to not affect your sex drive, b/c it sure has killed mine!
Andrea

AOL

#12 Jul 21, 2008
Latest news...I went to see a different GYN and he just put me on Loestrin- started today- as he says that may increase my sex drive. I'm also having my bloodword done, so we'll see what happens. So far, I've had zero sex drive for over a year, and this has definitely been the hardest thing my bf and I have ever had to deal with and it still is.
bird

Bridgetown, Barbados

#13 Jul 21, 2008
i feel your pain.i too have tried almost everything.i tried yazmin..gave me chest pain ,trie depo OH MY GOD that shit had me bleed for almost a month had to stop it quick..i then went on noristerat it worked well for me or so i thought..i got acne by the side of my face i gained weight almost 30lbs since i started bith control if not more.my stomach looks like i am pregnant.. ppl keep asking if am pregnant i miss the the old me,my doc recommended mirena but abfter searching all the forums i figure its just more birth control which will not aid in my weight loss.am now 174 lbs th elast time i weighed a week ago.i have now decided to stop and i feel so much better.my mood my sex drive have all improved.my bf even says i look like i have lost weight.with all that being said i need to be on somting although we feel good about the weight gain i dont want to get pregnant. i was thinking of using paragard but am hearing in this forum that it is causing the same effects as mirena how can that be its not a hormon,i just dont kn.i need somthing with minimal side effects and no weight gain.
Mara

North Richland Hills, TX

#14 Jul 22, 2008
I got on Yaz 3 months before my wedding and within the first month I noticed my sex drive hit rock bottom. I was completely gone but since my fiance and i were waiting until we got married I thought it was no big deal, so we got married and i still don't have a sex drive at all. I got off the pill a few weeks after we got married...still NO sex drive. Is there anything that can increase it???
Jessi

Rochester, NY

#15 Jul 28, 2008
I was on the pill for years. I got pregnant soon after I quit the pill as we wanted to have a baby. Had the baby, stayed off of birth control, sex drive was back. Consequently I got pregnant again ;) After having my son I went on the pill immediately. I had no sex drive for over a year. I went off of it by mistake (messed it up really bad) and my sex drive is back. My husband will not let me go back on it - LOL!! Hang in there - some women's hormones take awhile to adjust. Also - I find that my sex drive depends greatly on my emotions. I know it sounds stupid, but when my husband acts like a little kid ("where are my socks?" or "can I get a Dallas Cowboys jersey?")- it totally turns me off. I told him that so he trys to act more like a "man" now!! Good luck!
Keyleigh

United States

#16 Jul 29, 2008
My sex drive returned about 2 weeks after I got off the pill. It went from one extreme to the other for me. I had absolutely no sex drive at all to not being able to get it off my mind. Hopefully yours will return soon!
becky

Redmond, WA

#17 Jul 29, 2008
i have been taking birth control for over 7 years. I have taken several kinds. i did experience low sex drive with alesse. I have also taken ortho-cept and ortho tri-cyclen lo which neither of them have effected my sex drive. maybe you should try one of those. i been on ortho tri cyclen lo for about 4 years now.
van_one

Krems, Austria

#18 Jul 30, 2008
Andrea wrote:
I was on nuvaring for a month, and my sex drive really decreased a lot. I have been off it for 2 days and already feel better, although my sex drive is not back yet I at least feel more like myself. I gained some weight (not much) and had Terrible mood swings on nuvaring. Oh, I was in a bad mood- crying, fighting my loved ones, all that nasty stuff. This is the first time I have used hormonal birth control, and I won't be using it again.
toomanypills

Peabody, MA

#19 Aug 7, 2008
Andrea,

I don't know if you're still visiting here. I was on pills for 15 years. Yes, 15. I had a very strong sex drive through my adolescence and early 20s I noticed it still there. Mid twenties and now late twenties it's started to decline. Now i have no sex drive. Been off pills for over a year now and am married and it's very frustrating. I'm seeking answers too. I don't know what the problem is...

Good luck.
Elizabeth

Hollywood, FL

#20 Aug 16, 2008
Andrea wrote:
Latest news...I went to see a different GYN and he just put me on Loestrin- started today- as he says that may increase my sex drive. I'm also having my bloodword done, so we'll see what happens. So far, I've had zero sex drive for over a year, and this has definitely been the hardest thing my bf and I have ever had to deal with and it still is.
Not a good idea I started on Yaz then went to Loestrin becuase of no sex drive then to the Nuva ring and nothing now I have been off for a month and after going through horrible hormone withdrawls my sex drive is not back yet...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
copper iud (Jul '06) 47 min Kboor30 657
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 21 hr Mdm 1,553
Copper IUD and anxiety (Feb '10) 22 hr IUDuser 10
Depo-provera - Horrible Side Effects - Losing m... (Apr '13) Dec 2 Nelly89 19
Sex Drive on the Copper IUD (Nov '06) Dec 1 anonymous 859
Does anyone like Mirena? (Oct '06) Nov 30 whiskeymac 88
Stopped pill 2 weeks ago and still no period Nov 28 Shizzle93 1
More from around the web