Copper IUD causing acne?
First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Meg

Eugene, OR

#1 Dec 10, 2007
Ever since I had a the copper IUD (Paragard) put in 10 months ago I have acne like I've never experienced. I now get huge, painful zits on my chest and back (I have never in my life had any problems with this kind of acne) and my face is constantly broken-out. From what little reading I've done on the internet it sounds like this could be a side-effect of having perhaps too much copper in my system from the IUD, since copper negatively affects Zinc levels and Zinc has been shown to have a positive effect on acne. Has anyone else experienced this with the copper IUD?
Pre Switzerland

Dietlikon, Switzerland

#2 Dec 27, 2007
Hi,
I have the same problem since 3 months, though I have the IUD inserted since 8 months. initially i had only some spots but the last few months I ve had almost 10 a month. I though only hormonal contraceptives cd increase Acne, but I was using Mirena earlier. I didnt have any acne, but spotting( blood ) for 6 months. Si removed Mirena and put a copper IUD, but I have a lot of Acne. Im planning to remove this too. Have u spoken to a dermatologist?
not ava

Austin, TX

#3 Oct 6, 2008
I switched from Mirena to the copper IUD last month. Im not sure if my body is adjusting to the switch. I switched cause I started to break out on my forehead and around my mouth bad with Mirena. Its only been one month and I'm afraid that the copper IUD is also causing me to break out. My face hurts around my forehead. Its not as bad as the Mirena so I hope my body gets used to the copper. If not I will have to remove it because my face needs to recover and hurts because I've never had acne before and now I'm 24yrs old.
Carrie

Washington, DC

#4 Nov 2, 2008
I have had the copper IUD in for about six months. THe first 3 months everything was normal.. both my period flow and my skin. Just the normal couple zits before my period. Then about 3 months ago I started to have constant breakouts. My obgyn says it is rare to have acne from the copper IUD but I know my system is really sensitive. Im having it taken out and am going to see if my skin clears up cause its driving me nuts!
Raquel

New York, NY

#5 Nov 8, 2008
I have had bad breakouts with the copper iud, it did not start right away. Finally I went to a dermatologist and besides antibiotics and oinments
I started taking Zinc. I am going to be 31 this month so i am planning to take it out unless there
is a real turn around with my skin and go back on the pill. I was so excited to not be on hormones but Dr's are not honest and I am feeling like the copper is worse than hormones and I am not about to have acne at this age. I am disgusted not to mention the 7 day+ Hemorrhage style periods after 7 months.
Lynn

Tomball, TX

#6 Nov 17, 2008
Raquel wrote:
I have had bad breakouts with the copper iud, it did not start right away. Finally I went to a dermatologist and besides antibiotics and oinments
I started taking Zinc. I am going to be 31 this month so i am planning to take it out unless there
is a real turn around with my skin and go back on the pill. I was so excited to not be on hormones but Dr's are not honest and I am feeling like the copper is worse than hormones and I am not about to have acne at this age. I am disgusted not to mention the 7 day+ Hemorrhage style periods after 7 months.
I have had my copper IUD for about a year now and absloutely hate it. I feel as if my periods last forever (sometimes 10 days!) and are incredibly painful...definitely not what I had before starting on birth control...hormonal or IUD. Also, I have never been prone to acne and I have the worst breakouts for the last couple of months. Just these little difficult to pop zits right below the skin. I'm thinking about having my IUD removed, I just hate to do it becuase of the expense and because I got it because I like not having artifical hormones in my system.
poe

Rancho Cordova, CA

#7 Nov 25, 2008
i just wanted to post my frustrations regarding the paragard copper iud. i've had problem with hormonal birth control pills in the past and so i decided that i wanted to stay away from them. after speaking with my doctor she assured me that the paragard iud would be a great choice and would have NO side effects accept for a possibility of heavier and more uncomfortable periods... no problem!(granted when something sounds too good to be true it usually is). i've had the iud for not even two months now, and my skin has been freaking out! i have never had a problem with acne... once when i was on mircette birth control i found that it made me break out, but not like this. i have gotten horrible under-the-skin cystic acne that keep popping up along my jawline and forehead. also, i have been getting acne along my hairline, neck, back, and chest as well (where it has never been before!) i went to see a dermatologist for the first time in my life (i'm 26) and she told me that i must have adult-onset acne... which just seems pretty crazy since this has only started 3 1/2 weeks ago! i asked my doctor and dermatologist if it might be the iud, and they both acted like i was an idiot for thinking that since it has no hormones. well the heck is it then... it just seems like too much of a coincidence. i'm glad i found this sight at least just to vent. any advice or input? thanks!
Jessica

Bilston, UK

#8 Nov 26, 2008
Wow, i too have the same problem and was convinced i had hormonal issues but my doctor thinks i am nuts because all blood work comes back normal. I have been struggling with acne for around 18monts-2 years as a result of horomones in the Progestogen only Pill (cerazette) and was also advised to have the copper coil fitted.
I feel like i am going crazy cos of all the acne and it is severe now and will proably scar. I am off to see if i can get this thing out ASAP.
Thanks!
Mel

United States

#9 Dec 12, 2008
I did have a chance to ask my doctor. She stated that even through I did the switch from Mirena to the copper IUD, I will still have the same acne problems. My body is rejecting the Copper part of the IUD, therefore causing my body to react--my reaction is more acne. So I am having it removed ASAP! Me and my fiancé have been together for 4yrs now and have a 16 month old boy. He is going to have a Vasectomy. Thank God cause not only am I allergic to the pill, but I can’t take the pain on my face from all the acne! And not only that but I can't loose ANY weight and I'm so snappy with this IUD. I guess everyone is different right?
Mel

United States

#10 Dec 12, 2008
I did have a chance to ask my doctor. She stated that even through I did the switch from Mirena to the copper IUD, I will still have the same acne problems. My body is rejecting the Copper part of the IUD, therefore causing my body to react--my reaction is more acne. So I am having it removed ASAP! Me and my fiancé have been together for 4yrs now and have a 16 month old boy. He is going to have a Vasectomy. Thank God cause not only am I allergic to the pill, but I can’t take the pain on my face from all the acne!
JuniperStar

United States

#11 Dec 12, 2008
I did have a chance to ask my doctor. She stated that even through I did the switch from Mirena to the copper IUD, I will still have the same acne problems. My body is rejecting the Copper part of the IUD, therefore causing my body to react--my reaction is more acne. So I am having it removed ASAP! Me and my fiancé have been together for 4yrs now and have a 16 month old boy. He is going to have a Vasectomy. Thank God cause not only am I allergic to the pill, but I can’t take the pain on my face from all the acne! The last comment was totally right about the Zinc reaction. So if worst comes to worse Ill have to just get my tubes tied. EEk!
used to be pretty

UAE

#12 Dec 13, 2008
i just want to cry. i've had this f***ing thing in for almost two years now. i got it right before i moved to a new city, where it's much hotter, so i thought that that was why i was getting all these zits when i always had enviably clear skin before. pretty much right after i got the thing in i started getting unrelenting breakouts around my mouth, on my chin, and just next to my nose.
i used to hardly bleed at all, like if i forgot to wear a tampon it was no big deal. now i bleed like a stuck pig for days and days. i have brown spots on my cheeks now, which i thought were from living in a sunnier climate, but now that i think about it, i don't spend much time out in the sun and i've worn sunblock every day since i was 10. could be the sun, but have also heard that brown spots are a sign of copper toxicity.
what to do??? i really don't want to go back on the pill, because i felt like it made me really depressed, but these zits aren't really doing much for the old cheerfulness either! help? should i try taking zinc or something?
I hate the copper IUD

Peoria, AZ

#13 Dec 22, 2008
I have been experiencing the same as all of these comments. I too felt like I was going crazy. Girls it only gets worse i have had it for 3 in a half years. I am getting it taken out tomorrow after just realizing what it was doing to me. Well the first thing I noticed was my mood change then cramping. I feel like I am pregnant and get sick before my period and tired. I never had acne or any break outs, but now I do. I remember the itching of my skin I thought it was my anti depressant medication and stopped taking it. I have my period for two weeks. I think I am anemic and very irritable. Lots of bleeding after sex I mean I thought I was dying. I also just started having lots of discharge and feeling like I have to pee all the time. I feel wet and it starts to smell. It is not pee or regular discharge or an infection. I thought I was crazy for real...I thought were is this coming from and thought my boyfriend obviously cheated on me and gave me an STD. I was tested for everything including a bladder infection. Nothing...My relationship is ruined and I hardly feel sexy with the constant discharge. Don't get it!! These symptoms better go away.
I hate the copper IUD

Peoria, AZ

#14 Dec 22, 2008
I was going to doctors and emergency rooms trying to figure out what was wrong. I was tested over and over again for everything and didn't realize it could be the IUD. My doctors keep telling me the IUD does not do that.

So after stopping my antidepressant meds because I am a that freaks out over anything small. I stress easily and this didn't help. So I stopped taking it for no reason. Talk about embarrassing!!

I was wearing pantiliners because at work by the end of the day I would have been so wet I would soak through my underwear and pants.
uzimama

Windsor, Canada

#15 Jan 4, 2009
I just had Mirena put in a month ago, now all of a sudden I am having a major break out on my neck face and chest areas! Its horrible. I have never had acne before!!!
What do I do? I want to stay on the birth control, but not if I am going to suffer from this!
poe

Orangevale, CA

#16 Jan 19, 2009
hi,
i just wanted to post an update. i got my copper iud removed a couple days after my first post (about a month and a half ago). pretty much immediately my skin started to clear up! it took almost a whole month for everything to return to completely back to normal... my skin definitely had to heal from al the trauma i put it through because some of the pimples were cystic and super deep. i still have a couple scars that will hopefully fade with time, but who cares... i'm just stoked to not be getting anymore of that huge painful acne! my hair is also back to normal and i am no longer getting any zits along my hairline or neck... or face for that matter. so girls, if your gyno is telling you you're crazy, well they're wrong. listen to your body! if something doesn't feel right it probably isn't. this might be a wonderful choice of contraception for some, but definitely not for all. it's back to condoms for me... but if the sex is good it's good! i'll trade the pill/iud for some sanity and confidence any day! wishing you all the best!
tink

United States

#17 Feb 7, 2009
Omg...I have been freaking out I've had the iud for about 21/2 years I hate it I started getting acne on my face its horrible never had acne before I'm 22 I've tried everything I started getting them about 3 months after having the iud put in I also been bleeding after sex I'm soooo freaked I'm so glad I found this site & to know I'm not the only one that this is happening to & I'm taking it out asap I can't live like this my selfesteem is realy low right now idk what to do anymore my boyfriend has been realy understanding with this whole situation so we both agreed that the best thing is to take it out ...thanks girls you have all been a realy big help...(xoxo)
Good Luck =)"
samantha

Lynn, MA

#18 Feb 24, 2009
I've had the Paraguard for about 6 months or so and I'm experiencing the worst acne i've ever had in my life. I'm going to see a derm this week about accutane and then i'm getting the iud removed. it's a shame because otherwise i like having it and i hated taking the pill, but i can't stand the constant onslaught of acne day in and day out. i'm glad other people are experiencing this too - for awhile i wasn't sure it was the iud but now i'm certain.
Ugly Betty

Glasgow, UK

#19 Feb 24, 2009
I am so glad I found this site! I was unable to tolerate hormonal birth control as they made me feel as though I had constant PMT. I thought that the IUD sounded like a good option, and for a few months I was delighted that I'd finally found a contraceptive method that suited me! However for the past 4 months, I have been plagued by acne which I put down to stress until I found this website. My doctor has prescribed a range of antibiotics and lotions, all of which had horrible side effects, and no positive effect on my skin. Nobody mentioned it might be the coil! I can't wait to have it removed, and for my skin to return to it's normal, spot free self!!! I'm 29 and too old for acne - men have it sooooo easy!!!
Stephanie Binch

Phoenix, AZ

#20 Feb 25, 2009
Wow, I never even considered all the acne I was having was from the IUD! I have a copper one as well and I just assumed I was having a hormonal outbreak constantly. I finalyl bought ProActiv and it was the only thing that cleared it up. I wanted to ask you all, has anyone felt completely spacey and weird since getting the copper IUD? I put mine in about 3 years ago and my periods are fine and super easy but I am constantly feeling spacey and like in a daze. I just read this whole article that if you have a copper imbalance this happens. Not to mention I started getting hideous panic attacks which I have never had in my life. I thought these were some hormonal imbalance but am now thinking that they are from copper imbalance from the IUD. Please let me know if anyone has experienced anything like this. I really want to take the IUD out if this is the case.

Thank you,
Meg wrote:
Ever since I had a the copper IUD (Paragard) put in 10 months ago I have acne like I've never experienced. I now get huge, painful zits on my chest and back (I have never in my life had any problems with this kind of acne) and my face is constantly broken-out. From what little reading I've done on the internet it sounds like this could be a side-effect of having perhaps too much copper in my system from the IUD, since copper negatively affects Zinc levels and Zinc has been shown to have a positive effect on acne. Has anyone else experienced this with the copper IUD?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 6 hr Amy 1,434
Copper IUD and recurring pain (Sep '12) Sun Lauren 143
Birth Control Pill That Increases Sex Drive (May '07) Sun Brooke 253
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) May 20 MsLiz123 3,594
calling all women with the MIRENA IUD (May '07) May 20 Laura in NC 1,769
Night nausea on Microgestin FE 1/20? (Jun '11) May 17 Laina 17
Can U Feel an IUD? (Apr '08) May 15 IUD_HELP 145
More from around the web