Depo Provera side effects

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

Deborah

Genoa, IL

#1 Nov 15, 2012
I am wondering if any ladies here have been on Depo Provera and had any negative side effects.
I had my first shot and since then have been experiencing constant bleeding and symptoms of what seems to be atrophic vaginitis which is making my sex life miserable despite using lube. For some reason the doctor I saw at the clinic recommended depo because I have PCOS, then I came to learn through my own research that depo is terrible for PCOS and can actual cause it to show up in completely healthy women! I am switching to Loesterin24fe once these first 3 months are up, and I am curious if anyone can share their experiences on how long it took for the negative side effects from the depo provera to start to go away.
Was it instantaneous, or did it take time? Since I have only been on it for 3 months will I maybe have less of a chance of the damage I feel has been done to my body by the shot sticking around?
I look forward to hearing your experiences and thank you!
Girl2080

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 16, 2012
I was on depo for 2 years. During the depo it was fine. I didn't gained weight, no need to remember taking pills, no yucky period. Happy me happy my bf. After 2 years I missed having my regular period and decide to stop.. and the misery begin. I'm become a different person or I would say more like crazy person. I would yelled for my bf for no reason at all, super sensitive, depressed, My boobs was swollen..yes it looks nice but no point! coz I won't let my bf to touch it ( sore) and the worst part was I rapidly gained 8 pounds in 2 weeks!! Luckily I found forum that convienced me that it wasn't only me, I feel relieved. I sent my bf the link so he understand why his gf turn into a psycho. I start exercise, taking a multivitamin, calcium and vitex. Vitex is very awesome. Just after a month taking it, i got my period. Oh my..I had never been so happy to see my period in my life. Oh...I supposed to get my shot on February 2012 and now it's November 2012. I would say my body is adjusting now. No more crazy me, my boobs is shrink though :) but its ok, i got period every other month and start losing back couple pounds. They said it took about 12 to 18 months for conceive. Will I use Depo again? NOPE. I will stay away from hormonal birth control. If u just getting off from depo. Hang on there..and don't forget to take vitex
kmc2749

Austin, TX

#3 Jan 28, 2013
Depo-Provera can cause unusually heavy vaginal bleeding, migraine headaches, blood clots, and weight gain. Check out http://www.rxwiki.com/depo-provera to learn more.
Naa

Jonesboro, AR

#4 Jun 6, 2014
I don't recommend this for teens I stared when I was 16 my parents were mad bc I was sexually active I'm 17 now and it's been almost a year that I haven't been sexually active I have headaches and abdominal pain all the time I have gained 15 pounds which makes me feel inscsure (no change in diet just eat whatever) I also have bad ankle and back pain the shot isn't the way to go for most teens my friends have some of these side effects I recommend talking to a nurse or doctor about the pains if they get worse like mine have. This is awful if anyone has anything helpful please let me know!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ortho Tri Cyclen and Sexual Side Effects (Dec '06) 11 hr Insertusernamehere 102
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) 17 hr clarke89 3,438
missed birth control pills Sat xcallday91 1
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Nov 21 Reese 1,067
Syeda vs Yasmis (Aug '11) Nov 19 neinei 129
Copper IUD causing acne? (Dec '07) Nov 19 Justine from Paris 353
Missed Period Nov 18 rebeccahaillee 1

Birth Control People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE