is it the Nyquil or Am I Pregnant?

is it the Nyquil or Am I Pregnant?

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

Homework_Junkie

AOL

#1 Oct 12, 2006
I have been taking birth control since June and I've always started on sugar pills one-four. This month I did not start!
I had allergies pretty bad a while back and had been taking Nyquil before going to bed for about four nights straight then once again about three days later. I was sexually active about two or three of those days
Is the Nyquil just affecting my medicine now causing me to be late or did it cause the pill to be weaker in protecting us? I am now on day five

I bet it's the nyquil tho in any case. I always take my pills everyday. It's worked up until I took medicine.
Homework_Junkie

AOL

#2 Oct 13, 2006
Wow you guys are helpful... I have a genuine problem and no one has anything to say. I guess I am the only case of this...

Sorry to seem negative. I guess no one has been in the forums... I am just wondering... perhaps I should get a pregnancy test. This will solve everything... Thanks anyways...
Alice

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Oct 16, 2006
Homework_Junkie wrote:
Wow you guys are helpful... I have a genuine problem and no one has anything to say. I guess I am the only case of this...
Sorry to seem negative. I guess no one has been in the forums... I am just wondering... perhaps I should get a pregnancy test. This will solve everything... Thanks anyways...
Are you taking anything besides the Nyqill? I don't think that can affect it. If you take the pill every day then you may not have to worry. Sometimes when I get a cold, my cycle is a little late.
Homework_Junkie

AOL

#4 Oct 17, 2006
Alice wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you taking anything besides the Nyqill? I don't think that can affect it. If you take the pill every day then you may not have to worry. Sometimes when I get a cold, my cycle is a little late.
Now that I think of it.... i took dayquil and advil too because of the headaches.... i knew i should have talked to my doctor... because I took a test and I am pregnant. Good thing I quit taking those damn things....
ugh

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Dec 12, 2007
I was taking nyquil and advil too, while I was on the pill and now I am on my 4th placebo pill and my period hasn't come.. did taking those deactivate the pill?
Lindsay

AOL

#6 Dec 13, 2007
I know antibiotics affect it but I never heard of nyquil or dayquil. Thats good to know!!
Vesta

Scottsdale, AZ

#7 Dec 13, 2007
Certain things can interact with BC. I got pregnant 3 times while on the pill, it seemed that no matter what I took it blocked the absorption of the pill, but since i went to the iud i don't worry about that kind of stuff anymore. All I have to worry about is the stupid thing falling out, but I have not had any problems so it has been nice.

Beware - St. John's wort also interacts with BC, if you all didn't know that.
Lindsay

AOL

#8 Dec 13, 2007
I had heard of that actually, but it was good you mentioned it because im sure not everyone knows!! Ive tried to do some research about things that block the pill and even doctors won't totally admit that it blocks the affect of the pill--they all say its possible but I guess there isnt enough proof. I dont really take any other medication though.
Vesta wrote:
Certain things can interact with BC. I got pregnant 3 times while on the pill, it seemed that no matter what I took it blocked the absorption of the pill, but since i went to the iud i don't worry about that kind of stuff anymore. All I have to worry about is the stupid thing falling out, but I have not had any problems so it has been nice.
Beware - St. John's wort also interacts with BC, if you all didn't know that.
LPchick

Rockford, IL

#9 Mar 29, 2009
I'm actually concerned about this as well, as I've been sick the previous week and while I'm still taking my birth control and my period's not due for another 2 weeks, I have been taking Nyquil and my husband and I have been a bit active the past few days, as I've been feeling a little better (i still have post nasal drip though and a nasty cough, hence the nyquil at night to supress it so i can sleep).

I also checked an ovulation calculator and just found out that these last few days have been my most fertile - oops!

Reason why I'm concerned - my husband was conceived while his mom was taking cough syrup like Nyquil, but thought she was fine cuz she was on the pill - turns out she wasnt though! He knew this, but claims im not on the same stuff his mom was, so we should be fine... I guess we'll see in a couple weeks!
Chick

Santa Paula, CA

#10 Mar 11, 2011
LP chick.. And what happened? Were u prego?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Copper IUD and recurring pain (Sep '12) 13 hr stephie77 150
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 17 hr Jasz 1,517
Copper IUD Wed Lolla 2
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) Sep 26 Meeka 3,607
Trinessa- VERY different from Ortho Tri Cyclen (Apr '10) Sep 26 CarrieC 53
Pills and periods Sep 25 Pillsrus 1
no period after the patch! (Aug '06) Sep 22 Jenn 107
More from around the web