London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2011

Hi All
Thanks for all your helpful posts. I've had the copper IUD for over 5 years and didn't make the connection between weight gain and troublesome periods until I started to do some research during which I came across this forum.
I never really weigh myself but I tend to go by how my clothes feel, I am unable to wear clothes from just 18months ago due to increase in size from just under the rib cage down to an over-hanging belly! Prior to this IUD insertion I was consistently a UK size 10 and now I don't really know what size I am due to weird body shape, but definitely a 14... I feel full and bloated not matter what I eat. Combined with 1-2 hours of dog walk/running everyday and surfing i knew something was up! Luckily I haven't experienced severe anxiety, but def a bit over emotional :)
anyway, my (female)doctor was very sympathetic, did not dispute the possibility that there was a connection to the IUD - I got the impression she was familiar with reported weight gain on Copper IUDs so maybe it depends how much individual Doctors continue to read current research papers etc.
Had it removed today and feel relieved already. hoping to get my old body back asap :)
Good luck to all..and many thanks for the support offered on this forum..
Michelle
Melissa

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2011

xen wrote:
Had this IUD for 5 years no gain of weight at all...it has no hormones or side effects unless you're allergic to copper...eat less that is what I think
Not true hon, I'm not allergic to copper and was on a very strict weight program for almost a year. All I lost was 13 lbs and then the weight started to come back. I got blood work done and Rey found high levels of copper in my blood. Doc diagnosed it as copper toxicity in my liver.
Your liver is what breaks down the toxins and fats in your body. The iud nearly destroyed my liver. I'm on a sugar detox right now an am slowly losing the 25lbs I put on after the iud was inserted. It was by far the WORST thing I have ever done to my body.
Lisa o

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

I have the Cooper iud I even gaining weight and my mood changes and getting blooded and cramppy taking iud off
Tanya

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

I had my Copper IUD put in 1 year ago and have gained about 20 pounds since then, increased acne and 10 day very heavy periods. I had it removed today and immediately felt a sense of relief. I was surprised to see what it looked like, this big metal thing with coils. I actually imagined the copper portion to be much smaller. I asked the dr. and nurse if they believe it could be responsible for the above mentioned sxs and they said that due to it being a foreign substance in the body, there may definately be adverse reactions. My husband and I are not ready for children yet and my dr. recommended using 2 methods of non-hormonal birth control. Condoms at all times and natural family planning. He is from asia stated that in China where populatin control is a major issue the family planning method is one of the three acceptable forms of bc. He told me that he and his wife are actually using this method. Will update on decrease of sxs in about a week.
Joy

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

I have had a copper IUD for nearly 12 years in which time my weight has gone up and up I never connected it to the IUD , not until I went for a new one . I had it taken out and the doctor said ,I had to come back next week for a new one fitted. Within 2 days of it being out I felt less bloated and not as sore but just thought it was coincidence ,until I had the new one fitted, within 3days my belly was bloated again and looked huge I don't know if i should have it taken out? What does anyone think?
Mel

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

I had the same thing and had mine out, although I have not lost much weight, my belly is not bloated as much and it is not as tendered as it was and I have had no stomach cramps at all !!!. I have no regrets about getting it taken out.

“Howdy, Ya'll!”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

Tanya wrote:
I had my Copper IUD put in 1 year ago and have gained about 20 pounds since then, increased acne and 10 day very heavy periods. I had it removed today and immediately felt a sense of relief. I was surprised to see what it looked like, this big metal thing with coils. I actually imagined the copper portion to be much smaller. I asked the dr. and nurse if they believe it could be responsible for the above mentioned sxs and they said that due to it being a foreign substance in the body, there may definately be adverse reactions. My husband and I are not ready for children yet and my dr. recommended using 2 methods of non-hormonal birth control. Condoms at all times and natural family planning. He is from asia stated that in China where populatin control is a major issue the family planning method is one of the three acceptable forms of bc. He told me that he and his wife are actually using this method. Will update on decrease of sxs in about a week.
I hope you are feeling better. My IUD caused the same symptoms you had.

Regarding natural planning...well, I just want to remind everyone that our bodies don't always work the way the textbooks say they work. Even if you have a regular menstrual cycle and follow the calendar and internal temperature religiously, there is no guarantee that ovulation occurs when you think it should occur. I speak from personal experience. Condoms are a good choice, but they have a significant fail rate, too. An unwanted or unplanned pregnancy is awful - so be safe. My hubby just got a vasectomy, so that was our choice, but then again, we're totally done making babies. If I were 20 years younger, I would choose birth control pills for my method, though. There are so many pills to pick from now, there is almost always a choice that anyone can tolerate. And they are truly effective if taken as directed.

Good luck to everyone!
cindy220

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

Im glad I found this I got the copper IUD Aprin of 2010. I have just removed it today!
my symptoms have been
1. weight gain about 22 pounds
2. Headaches almost every other day (i never ever had headaches before)
3. My skin has been darker, simillar to when I was pregnant with my son, friends actually asked why I was tanning all of a sudden!
4.puffy, bloated face hands and tummy.

I have not been able to lose weight, I tried meal replacements and when that didnt work I knew it was this!
good luck I would never suggest this form of birth control to anyone, so happy it's out know!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

I had just met the man of my life and we wanted to be free sexually. I had taken the pill couple years back and had a really bad reaction to hormones, so I figured Copper IUD = no hormones…what can go wrong ?? Little did I know… I had the Copper IUD put in Jan 2011. In the beginning it was fine but not amazing…and then the nightmare started…I kept getting yeast infections and a lot of bad cramps, the doctor said it would get better with time…so I just toughed it out…but then the pain started. I started to get tired real fast, loss of breath, loss of hair, anxiety, depression, loss of sex drive, extreme dryness (mouth and vulva), headaches, joint pain, lower back pain, nausea, weight gain…after all that I finally decided to get the IUD taken out, and instantly felt much better…as the days went by I regained energy, my hair is fuller, dryness stopped. I really think I had Copper Toxicity, I keep reading all these blogs and all the stories are exactly like mine. I am so happy to have found my body back. I will get a general check up just to make sure there is no long-term damage. Thanks for sharing these stories, hopefully it will help others like me find the light at the end of this oh-so dark tunnel.

Any other advice I should take from others that have experienced the same thing, please feel free to share…it is greatly appreciated to know that I am not alone !!!

NOW FREE :D
fawzia

Heysham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

Im 43. I had the copper IUD fitted about 8 months ago. My sex life became more spontanouse as mentally i wasnt worried getting pregs..but the more active i became the more painfull the sex and blood during sex..and a constant inflammed feeling in my uterus..symptoms resembling cystitis..bladder leaking..up all night peeing barley nothing! Major major cramps...heavy heavy periods! total exustion! the GP kept reasssuring me that it wud settle and not to give up so quick! Also my clothes starting feeling really tight! I weighed myself and horrified at a gain of atleast 12 since my last weigh in about 1 year ago as i dont make it a habit..if my clothes fit, im happy. Started to diet and exercise even more (im a fitness instructor and i do around 10 hrs a week viogourous fitness) 4 months later i still weigh the same!!!!!!!!! Finally ive had it removed 2 wks ago but im still feeling the peeing during the night before my period..maybe i shud give it some time..untill my next period to see if things go back to normal. I am allergic to latex and nickel..i now believ that i am to copper aswell!!! There are no warnings or information from GP's of these adverse effects..it cud have been mentioned in the consultation!!!! I am very angry
saira

Slough, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

i am too so depressed bloated headace angry moodswings i need to take the copper coli out its made my life miserable
jocie

Manchester, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

anita wrote:
<quoted text> i had my paraguard for 1 year and i gained 50 lbs. i had it removed two days ago! I feel relieved! I feel so energized.
I tried the NuvaRing and that caused irritation. Im at a point where Ive tried everything and Im getting restless. I definately feel better without the IUD. My period is not heavy like it was.
aadie lee

Abbotsford, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

I have LOST weight on the copper.
Fiona

Steyning, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

I had a copper coil fitted about 3 months ago. For the first month I suffered really badly from stomach cramps and lower back pain. Before the coil, my periods were always heavy but didn't last long. Now they are even heavier and tend to go on for 7-8 days.
The pain has now mostly gone but I have been left with the problem of discharge, ALL the time. Plus I have gained weight, am bloated and have little interest in sex (it's a contraceptive for all the wrong reasons!) I'm so relieved to see that I am not alone with these problems. I think I may have it removed as it's getting me down.
Fiona

Steyning, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

Can I ask, has anyone had any rashes since having the copper coil put in?
About a month a go I suffered from migraines for about two weeks. The migraines suddenly stopped and the I developed an unexplained rash all over my stomach and breasts but nowhere else?? I saw a doctor about it and she didn't have an answer but said it didn't look like anything sinister. It's gone now, but I wonder it its to do with the coil?

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

mindy221989 wrote:
<quoted text>I feel so much better I'm now just getting off my period thank gosh but I'm fine now I'm not always tired anymore or sore I have more energy and I'm not feeling depressed anymore I'm more nicer to the kids. I haven't lost any weight yet but I'm still working on that. I made the right decision now I got to find another birth control that's right for me but I'm scared I just don't want to go through this again I already been on three different birth control
I would like to find a safe method too but don't think there is any glad u feel better!

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

Fiona wrote:
Can I ask, has anyone had any rashes since having the copper coil put in?
About a month a go I suffered from migraines for about two weeks. The migraines suddenly stopped and the I developed an unexplained rash all over my stomach and breasts but nowhere else?? I saw a doctor about it and she didn't have an answer but said it didn't look like anything sinister. It's gone now, but I wonder it its to do with the coil?
Never had a rash on my stomach but I did in between my breasts I thought it was from my bra rubbing but that didn't make sense either .., iud had to be the source it never happened before
Hope

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

I've had the copper iud for 11 months and have gained 20 pounds I have to kids and have always been the same size till recently is when I started putting the two together... i look either bloated or pregnste so im happy to know im not the only one pheew im getting it removed in a couple of days I wish I would have done it sooner
Mery

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2011

Dose the copper IUD really make u gain? I am so undicided of what to do. It seams all birth control make you gain. I want to get my tubes tide but i heard you gain so much weight, so i was thinking of the copper IUD. Now i dont even know what is best. I had the Merina before didnt see myself gain but it fell out. Any suggestions?
Michele

Encinitas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2011

Lauren Houston TX wrote:
I had paraguard inserted in Jan 08. I am 33 and I have 3 boys. my 3rd one os now 2 years and I had gone down to my origial weight before I got paraguard( copper IUD) I have this horrible belly fat and I ring around my waist. I feel bloated and my tummy is like I felt when I was about 4-5 months pregnant. my breasts are bigger. I exercise regularly and eat healthy most of the time. I have never been over weight but now I feel like I have no waistline atall it crazy I am getting it out!! I hope the weight comes off especially around the waist and belly!!
The problem is... your waist will get much bigger if you get pregnant! What choice do we really have? I don't like having it in either, but I didn't like Norplant, the pill, or condoms. I don't think the belly puff is coming from the Paraguard, but from heavier periods. It is the best of all evils.sigh.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,501 - 2,520 of3,384
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Birth Control Forum right now

Search the Birth Control Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
calling all women with the MIRENA IUD (May '07) 7 hr xomilitarygirlxo72 1,651
Microgestin FE 1/20 causing depression/low sex ... (Aug '07) 9 hr Alece 526
Copper IUD and recurring pain (Sep '12) 18 hr Jess 86
still no period after 3 weeks of being off pill (Oct '06) Fri jay 431
Heavy bleeding and cramping after Mirena removal (Dec '12) Fri tesha 123
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Fri Victoriafrance 903
Can U Feel an IUD? (Apr '08) Apr 17 Ali 126
•••
•••