copper iud
Indy Lin

Indianapolis, IN

#141 Apr 24, 2007
Linda, me too!

Oh why, oh why am I an idiot at 32?!? God I wish I read into the Mirena from many of you gals in cyberspace b4 I got it. I've been pregnant but never given birth and have endometriosis. I was actually “under” when mine was inserted 9 mo’s ago. NOTE the new IUD’s with hormones are different than older ones. I’ve you had in the past 2-3 years it’s not the same as thing. It is supposed to stop your periods all together for most women. I’ve had horrible pain, like menstrual cramps from hell, several times a week. The spotting is all but gone; the pain is not. I’ve seen two doctors who initially said there would be “mild discomfort for a month or so” then they said “cramps are expected for a few months while my body adjust” According to the Mirena website in the FAQ section the pain side-effect was measured at 3months and then 5years. Oh joy, I only have 4more years to get relieve. I was just talking to a lady who had her 2nd child and 3 months later got the same IUD. She swears the cramps from this surpass her contractions at labor. All I know is I feel worse now then being on the pill with endometriosis.

Bodies and shapes are different. Just be prepared for either outcome. Hopefully goes well in your experience.
Ari

Hindhead, UK

#142 Apr 26, 2007
Chelsea wrote:
I got my IUD put in on March 14th. My period ended 4 days after I got it put in and then about 2 days later I stated to have what seemed like another period. So far 17 days later it hasn't stoped. I have had some cramping but nothing too bad. I'm worried about the prolonged bleeding. My doctor will be talking with me at the beinging of next week. I will pass along any information. Right now i'm hoping that this IUD was the right decsion.
Hi. I got a copper IUD in last Monday, April 16 and have since been bleeding more or less the entire time. What happened with you? What did your doctor say? I just wonder if this is normal or not!
Has it stopped? I got mine in on Monday, April 16. I then got my period on Wednesday and it has been ongoing up to today, April 26. I wonder if this is normal? Are you better yet??
Ari

Hindhead, UK

#143 Apr 26, 2007
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
I did the really long post #121 about a month ago.
I've had the IUD for over a month and had my period since then. Period was heavier than on hormones but lighter than it has been in the past off hormones.
I've been with the same guy for about 7 years and I thought that the libido decline was probably just the time. Dicne the paraguard, however, its making a strong comeback. Before, even if I was emotionally wanting to have sex my body just wasn't cooperating. Now Im feeling tingles with the first kiss. I think it's been the best choice I've made in a long time. Also, the last BC I was on was NuvaRing. It seemed okay but I always felt like something wasn't right. THen I developed vulvodynia which is thought to be a neurological pain disorder, making intercorse painful. It went away within a 2 weeks after the IUD.
In terms of IUD related bleeding for every one, else, when the uterus lining is disturbed prostaglandins are released. They are responsible for inflammation, and inflammation can cause extended bleeding. This is especially true during insertion, but also in general until your body gets used to the IUD's presence. This is similar to women who have extended bleeding from uterine fibroids. That's why prostaglandin inhibitors, like advil or aleve, can help to reduce bleeding by 30-50% when taken in perscription size doses. So don't forget to talk to your doctor/NP about this but make sure to mention if you have stomach problems or drink frequently etc.
By the way, even though I had excruciating pain following insertion, my period cramps weren't bad at all. Also, in the beginning I could sense, if not exactly feel, that I had the IUD in. That's gone away and I go for most days without thinking about it.
Hi Lisa,
I have been bleeding for 7 days now, beginning 2 days after the copper iud was inserted on Mon, Apr 16. The cramps are gone, but there is still a lot of blood. How long was your first period? And what kind of time lapse incurred between it and the successive one?
I just want to make sure that I am OK...
anna scotland

Portsmouth, UK

#144 Apr 26, 2007
I had a copper iud fitted 3 days ago.they said the hole in my uterous was tiny and my womb only 4cm...I made myself relax during insertion and although the doctor didn't think she would get it in..she did. It felt pretty grim though. driving home I nearly fainted. The feeling of it in my womb is omnipresent scary,cramping.today it is a bit less, but I wonder if the feeling of having an evil alien iside you goes away?
Ari

Hindhead, UK

#145 Apr 27, 2007
anna scotland wrote:
I had a copper iud fitted 3 days ago.they said the hole in my uterous was tiny and my womb only 4cm...I made myself relax during insertion and although the doctor didn't think she would get it in..she did. It felt pretty grim though. driving home I nearly fainted. The feeling of it in my womb is omnipresent scary,cramping.today it is a bit less, but I wonder if the feeling of having an evil alien iside you goes away?
It definitely does... The only thing is that the bleeding goes on a bit after your first period. At least, that has been my experience. I hope you feel better soon! Take Ibuprofen as much as you want. No need to go through it all too painfully.
Nicole

Boulder, CO

#146 Apr 30, 2007
I had my copper IUD fitted Feb 2nd while I was on my period. Never had children. The pain was pretty bad, I'm not going to lie. My period/cramps ended within two days and since then I have been totally normal. My first period I had really bad cramping and I just got my third period today and didn't even have ANY cramping. I only bleed for about 5-6 days, which was already normal for me. No cramping, no bleeding/spotting during the month.
So for you women out there who are considering the IUD, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I did a ton of research before I got it and was well informed. I read through all of the horrible stories of people with problems but still got it anyway. Things turned out great for me.
I really reccomend the copper IUD and am very happy with my decision. The great thing is that I'm moving to Hong Kong this summer and now I don't have to worry about where I'm going to get my birth control. I'm set for 10 years.
Do your research but realize there are many people that work well with the IUD.
rhonda

Cincinnati, OH

#147 May 1, 2007
I've had the copper iud for 4 yrs. We just decided to have another child and I went today to get my iud out, but it won't come out. The things they tried were so painful, and now I'm so scared. I don't know what's going to happen. I have another apt next week for them to try again. But what if it still won't come out. What if I can't have another child. I'm an emotional mess. My four yr experience has been a great one but now I don't think I will ever get the iud again.
Lisa

Eugene, OR

#148 May 1, 2007
Ari,

I'm sur eyour fine, but if your concerned or if the bleeding continues longer go talk to your doc/NP. THey can check and make sure everything is normal and may put you on one month of BC to help stop bleeding.
I spotted for a week, and that was with consistenly taking 800mg IB profin to reduce inflammation related bleeding. This is probably the cause of your bleeding. Taking IB profin at this point may help, but it's more effective to start it to prevent inflammation, like before insertion or at the onset of your period. If your a regular, you can take it on the day you'll get your period an continue to take it. Just keep in mind that these are perscription size doses and not suitable for everyone.
My period was about 6 days, but concentrated for about 3. WHile, it was much heavier than when I was on BC, it's been heavier in the past so I don't think the IUD contributed to it much. As for time inbetween, I'm not much help because I've always bled every 28 days since I started my period, and it was the same case. Very few women, however, menstuate on a 28 day cycle. A professor of mine did a study in which they tracked 40 womens cycles and not one of them was on a 28 day cylce. I think between 26 days and 36 days fits most women in.
Lisa

Eugene, OR

#149 May 1, 2007
Anna,

I know exactly what you mean about the alien feeling, I experienced the same thing, but it has gone away. I think about 3 weeks before I stopped thinking about it.
A lot of doctors say its not possible to feel the IUD itself. Well, feel, not exactly, I don't hink taht would be as odd of a sensation. But your brain is getting information about the IUDs presence and where it is touching the uterus, it's just not technically a percieved signal.(Sensation occurs at the site but perception is the interpretation of the sensory info by the brain) So somewhere your brains going "hey, theres something there thats not supposed to be there" but after awhile it stops noticing. Its just like when you first put on a ring or watch you know its there, but after awhile you don't feel it anymore.
Charlotte Wilde

AOL

#150 May 1, 2007
I got my copper IUD in Jan. of 2006. I have never had ANY medical problems or ever been concerned about my health, even when I was pregnant.
The nurse who put the IUD in accidentally got the pronged tool that holds open the cervix (can't remember what it's called) stuck in my cervix. I was in so much pain while she inserted the iud and then tried to remove the tool from my cervix that I almost passed out. I went back to get checked at 6 weeks and I was still spotting and cramping but she said I was fine.
Terribly heavy periods followed with labor-like cramps. About 3 months after the IUD was placed, I had the most horrible "period" I have ever had. I was at work and soaking through a pad in 20 minutes, I'm not exagerating. I thought I was bleeding to death. I called the nurse that put it in and she said if it lasted 48 hours to come in. The bleeding tappered off after about 15 hours.
The month after that, I made an appointment with the nurse because I had put on exactly 30 lbs in 4 months. I was also having every known pregnancy symptom (I have two kids). I took a pregnancy test (over the counter) and it was positive. I was absolutely 100% sure I was pregnant. I felt everything I had felt the two times before. I went in for a blood test about 1 week after the pregnancy test I took at home. The nurse told me the results were negative. I was NOT pregnant. She told me it was almost impossible to get pregnant with the IUD. That I should wait at least 2 more months before I expected my body to be back to normal.
I went back two months later, which was 6 months after the IUD was placed, because I had the worst smell coming from my vagina. The nurse found nothing wrong. I decided to go to a Dr. instead of this nurse practitioner who I was starting to loose respect for. The Dr. did a blood test and also checked my thyroid but said that he coudln't find any reason for the smell or the weight gain.
I had never been overweight before, and I thought that maybe the smell had something to do with extra sweat down there, so I shower usually 3 times daily and use gold bond, but nothing helps.
It's been about a year and a half and I still have a very unusual odor. I have recently developed anxiety and depression for the first time in my life. I've gone from being 120 lbs when the IUD was inserted in Jan. 06 to 190 lbs today. I have the exact same diet I and exercise at the gym 5 times a week. I was 40lbs lighter than this when I was 9 months pregnant. Dr. and Nurse say nothing is wrong with me, but how could all of this happening after I got an IUD just be a coincidence? I know this was a terribly long post, so thanks to anyone who can give me their two cents. I'm at a loss here and wonder what anyone with a copper IUD thinks of all this.
Alexa

Canada

#151 May 2, 2007
I got my copper IUD (nova-t) inserted today! Everything went very well. It was painful, but not as bad as i expected and it didn't last long at all. The nurse helped me to relax and told me to take deep breaths. I was really nervous, but there's no need to be. Slight cramping now and some spotting but everything is great. My gynecologist is so nice and i'm really thankful to have such caring doctors. He left my strings longer so i could get to know how they feel. At my one month check-up he'll cut them to 2cm. I'm very happy and pleased, especially hearing about all these horror stories. I guess the IUD is different for everyone
Jewel

United States

#152 May 8, 2007
Is it true that Cooper can make you gain weight? I had my IUD inserted 5 days ago. I had only mild cramping that lasted 2 days on and off. BUT the bleeding has progressivley gotten worse! I am going to try the 800mg of motrin and pray that helps! Thank you everyone for the comments, they have been SO helpful! I just hope the bleeding subsides soon and my periods aren't too bad!
Charlotte Wilde wrote:
I got my copper IUD in Jan. of 2006. I have never had ANY medical problems or ever been concerned about my health, even when I was pregnant.
The nurse who put the IUD in accidentally got the pronged tool that holds open the cervix (can't remember what it's called) stuck in my cervix. I was in so much pain while she inserted the iud and then tried to remove the tool from my cervix that I almost passed out. I went back to get checked at 6 weeks and I was still spotting and cramping but she said I was fine.
Terribly heavy periods followed with labor-like cramps. About 3 months after the IUD was placed, I had the most horrible "period" I have ever had. I was at work and soaking through a pad in 20 minutes, I'm not exagerating. I thought I was bleeding to death. I called the nurse that put it in and she said if it lasted 48 hours to come in. The bleeding tappered off after about 15 hours.
The month after that, I made an appointment with the nurse because I had put on exactly 30 lbs in 4 months. I was also having every known pregnancy symptom (I have two kids). I took a pregnancy test (over the counter) and it was positive. I was absolutely 100% sure I was pregnant. I felt everything I had felt the two times before. I went in for a blood test about 1 week after the pregnancy test I took at home. The nurse told me the results were negative. I was NOT pregnant. She told me it was almost impossible to get pregnant with the IUD. That I should wait at least 2 more months before I expected my body to be back to normal.
I went back two months later, which was 6 months after the IUD was placed, because I had the worst smell coming from my vagina. The nurse found nothing wrong. I decided to go to a Dr. instead of this nurse practitioner who I was starting to loose respect for. The Dr. did a blood test and also checked my thyroid but said that he coudln't find any reason for the smell or the weight gain.
I had never been overweight before, and I thought that maybe the smell had something to do with extra sweat down there, so I shower usually 3 times daily and use gold bond, but nothing helps.
It's been about a year and a half and I still have a very unusual odor. I have recently developed anxiety and depression for the first time in my life. I've gone from being 120 lbs when the IUD was inserted in Jan. 06 to 190 lbs today. I have the exact same diet I and exercise at the gym 5 times a week. I was 40lbs lighter than this when I was 9 months pregnant. Dr. and Nurse say nothing is wrong with me, but how could all of this happening after I got an IUD just be a coincidence? I know this was a terribly long post, so thanks to anyone who can give me their two cents. I'm at a loss here and wonder what anyone with a copper IUD thinks of all this.
Michele

Pasadena, CA

#153 May 10, 2007
It's been three weeks since I got my IUD. For the first 10 days I had some lower back pain. Called my doctor and she said it's not uncommon with a new IUD and it should eventually go away, which thankfully it did. I'm now noticing some discharge (colorless and odorless), which is unusual for me. My period should start in a couple of days, so it could be spotting. Not sure. The first time my partner and I were together again he thought he felt the strings, but nothing since. Also, despite multiple attempts, I still can't find the strings. I'll keep trying. Lastly (and most important) my libido is returning!!
Michele wrote:
Here's my story:
Hormonal birth control options kill my sex drive. Tried several types, but without success. After much discussion (and many months of frustrating nights!), my partner and I decided to try an IUD. Since I've never had kids (but want to some day) this was and is a concern.
I had my Paraguard IUD inserted yesterday, one day before my period was scheduled to begin. I experienced about 5 seconds of pain (which felt like a really bad cramp) as they were measuring my uterus. Then felt another cramp for about 2 seconds when they inserted the IUD. Then my doctor ran an ultrasound to make sure placement was correct.
I took a painkiller about an hour before the visit. The rest of the day went fine. No cramping. My period started today on schedule, and so far so good. No heavier than usual. I have noticed a little lower back pain, but I experienced that side effect on birth control pills.
I have a follow-up with my gyn in 6 weeks. Hopefully things will continue to go well.
Sherrie

United States

#154 May 12, 2007
I currently have a copper IUD that has been in place since 1999 ... my main complaint is the inconsistency of my monthly cycle. Never around the same time ... never the same amount of duration ... very unpredictable! I'm currently looking into changing the copper IUD for a mirena w/ the hopes it will help w/ my cycle. I've heard only good things from my personal friends w/ the Mirena & was hoping that there were other ladies that have changed products & their input on the differences positives & negatives. Also my GYN recommend 2-3 wks between taking my current out & replacing it w/ a new one. Is that standard?? Thanks for any help!!

Since: Apr 07

Loveland CO

#155 May 15, 2007
well i'm going to talk to my doc on thrusday so i can see if the Mirena is right for me. I will let you all know what i find out. i hope this works i'm sick of the pill
Lisa

Eugene, OR

#156 May 17, 2007
Charlotte Wilde wrote:
I would encourage you to keep trying other doctors and NP's until you get an answer. Not everyone keeps up on research, so sometimes its best to try a doc/NP that is younger as it has been forced into them recently by school. Just because no one can figur eit out clearly does not mean that theres nothing wrong. A woman told me, and this woman is a cardiologist, that her husband had a life threatening lung condition when he was in college, but had to go to six different doctors before anyone figured out what it was. If he hadn't kept seeking an answer, he might have died.
If I was in your position this is what I'd do...
1. Keep a food diary for a week (don't cheat and be extra good for the week) to make sure that I was actually in my recommended calorie intake range. I believe you that your diet hasn't changed but it is a piece of evidence to present to the doctors so that they keep looking for a reason.
2. Get the IUD out. I've had great luck with mine but you sound like you know in your heart that this is part of the problem and if it is, its just not worth it.
3. Stop using goldbond and if you hav to use soap use a gentle perfume free kind and consider switching your detergents and shampoo to hypoallergenic nonperfume kind. These things may be irratating and causing or contributing to the smell.
4. Keep bugging doctors and nurses and don't give up until you find out whats going on. As many as you need to. Your quality of life is too important and it likely affects your family and friends.

Good Luck and Much Support

Lisa
Anonymous

San Leandro, CA

#157 May 19, 2007
anna scotland wrote:
Anna, your situation with your small uterus sounds very similar to mine. I'm wondering how well the IUD working for you so far, since it's been about a month since you got yours in. What brand of IUD were you fitted with?
Allison

Scottsdale, AZ

#158 May 21, 2007
I am having my Mirena IUD taken out this week due to an excess of side effects. Weight gain, hair loss, mood swings and no libido. I had the copper IUD and had continual unpredictable spotting for two years, so decided to try the Mirena after the birth of my second child. Has anyone experienced these symtoms with the Mirena IUD? I've been on a diet and exercize program for over a month and have only gained weight. 1300 calories/30g of fat each day. I have a daily routine of stomach crunches squats, you name it, and I run about 6 miles every week. I was loosing weight until I got the Mirena inserted. I have never had a weight problem before and am only 27. Is anyone experiencing the same results from the Mirena?
Tina

India

#159 May 22, 2007
Alexa wrote:
I got my copper IUD (nova-t) inserted today! Everything went very well. It was painful, but not as bad as i expected and it didn't last long at all. The nurse helped me to relax and told me to take deep breaths. I was really nervous, but there's no need to be. Slight cramping now and some spotting but everything is great. My gynecologist is so nice and i'm really thankful to have such caring doctors. He left my strings longer so i could get to know how they feel. At my one month check-up he'll cut them to 2cm. I'm very happy and pleased, especially hearing about all these horror stories. I guess the IUD is different for everyone
Hey!
I was planning on getting one put in,so thought it would be better to ask women who already had it before doing so.I was getting really freaked out after reading the posts,and im having second thoughts now.How painful is it really?Can one ask for a local anaesthetic?Can you feel the T inside you,and does it cause it cause any discomfort?More importantly,can you feel it during sex? Can you feel the strings?Is it as long as a tampon's?I have been om BCP's for the past 6 months or so,and i have been noticing a decline in my libido,so i began considering the copper T.Gosh im really scared about this...i hope its worth it
Jewel

United States

#160 May 22, 2007
Tina, I had a copper iud inserted about a month ago. I have had 2 children. It hurt for a minute or so when they did the actual procedure. I took some Ibprofren about an hour before. Afterwards, I had some mild cramping for a day or 2. I had light bleeding for a week until my period started, my period was heavier than normal but cramps were not worse just the same. Now a week after my period, I still have some very light bleeding or spotting. I cannot feel the "T" it doens't bother me at all. The string are no long at all and you can have them cut to your preference. I did check for the strings after my period like instructed and they are up there! My husband said only once that he felt the strings but that it didn't hurt and that it could have been his imagination cause he was worried. I have had NO problem except the bleeding or spotting. My doctor told me that is normal and will stop as my body adjusts. If is doesn't stop she said I can take birth control pills for a month or 2 and it should stop them. I will be happy to answer any other questions you have! I was worried 2 and there is not alot of info on the subject!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Copper IUD 9 hr Lolla 2
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) Sep 26 Meeka 3,607
Trinessa- VERY different from Ortho Tri Cyclen (Apr '10) Sep 26 CarrieC 53
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Sep 26 LInh 1,515
Pills and periods Sep 25 Pillsrus 1
no period after the patch! (Aug '06) Sep 22 Jenn 107
Amoxicillin and Birth control (Mar '07) Sep 21 shortie323 179
Birth Control Pill That Increases Sex Drive (May '07) Sep 9 sad boyfriend 261
More from around the web