copper iud
Jenn

Le Sueur, MN

#41 Sep 24, 2006
I have had a copper IUD in for about 5 months now and have had extremely heavy periods with spotting in between. It is very random and very annoying. This month though when I was due to get my period it was barely there, just enough to be annoying for 6 days and then seems to have gone away now. Quite the opposite of the heavy flow I"m used to. Just wondering if anyone else who has had a copper IUD in has noticed that their periods get less after time. Gosh I hope so.
amelia wales

UK

#42 Sep 28, 2006
hi, ive had a copper iud for five years now. it was due to be removed last month but i cant get an appointment at my clinic? i was wondering if it still works? ive got two children and dont want any more. does anyone know?
shameckia

United States

#43 Sep 28, 2006
i have had my iud for about two months, yes i hurt very bad when inserted but i forget that i even have it know. the cramps are not worse, a little heavier bleedingbut nothing i can't handle. with regular birth control i had migraine headaches daily it wasn't worth it. i would recommened getting this iud i have the copper one. i think that you shoul;d all understand that there are risks and complications with even the smallest things in life remember nothing is ever perfect.
Firestorm

San Jose, CA

#44 Sep 29, 2006
amelia wales wrote:
hi, ive had a copper iud for five years now. it was due to be removed last month but i cant get an appointment at my clinic? i was wondering if it still works? ive got two children and dont want any more. does anyone know?
Change doctors. Yours are trying to make money off of you by scaring you. The copper IUD can remain in place for TEN years, not five.

The Mayo clinic says so:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/birth-contro...
krissy

Worcester, MA

#45 Sep 29, 2006
can any one tell me the difference between the hormoal and non-hormonal iud?
tammy

UK

#46 Sep 30, 2006
Krissy,
The hormonal iud is called the `mirena` and it releases a small amount of the hormone progesterone into the body over a period of years, the non-hormonal iud is the `copper iud`, this contains no hormones and and is suitable for women who want a hormone free method of conraception.

Hope this this helps.

Tammy
Kristen

Washington, DC

#47 Oct 2, 2006
Hi everyone, I want to find out if anyone else has had a terrible experience w/ their Paragard IUD... I have had mine in for about two years and every period is excruciating.

Very bad cramps run in my family - my mom, 2 sisters, and I have cramps that are so bad, we have thrown up & fainted. In college, I started on birth control pills and over 5 years, I was on three different prescriptions. They helped w/ the cramps but the hormones affected me negatively so then I tried Depo (hated it) and then chose this IUD because I didn't want the hormones.

Now, every period lasts 10-11 days. For the first 3-4 days, the cramps sporadically so bad that I can't move. Sometimes the pain spreads to my back and into one leg or the other down to my knees. I have complained constantly to my primary care doctor and my gyn but I don't feel that either of them understand how bad it is. I have been prescribed probably about 8 different pain medications over the 2 years but none have helped.

I am married and don't know what other method to try that will give us freedom without the hormones. We do want kids but just not yet. I have decided that I need to have this thing removed but now I am afraid that the removal will be painful too. I've opted for this also because there is no waiting period after removal for being able to have children. The plan was that I would keep this in until we were ready and then,(God willing) we'd be able to conceive the next day.

Please - someone send me your good & bad stories of removal and let me know if anyone else has had cramps as bad as these and what you've done to relieve them.

Thanks!
gen

Phoenix, AZ

#48 Oct 6, 2006
I recently got the IUD copper and have been in pain since. I hope the procedure to take it out is not as bad as it went in!!!
michelle

Cincinnati, OH

#49 Oct 13, 2006
i've had my iud for about 6 years now and have recurrent bacterial vaginosis. even though i've had a steady partner for a while now, any time i've had sex unprotected, i get the vaginosis. is anyone else having this problem? btw-my partner had been tested and has no signs of infection.
Ragan

Monterey, CA

#50 Oct 15, 2006
tammy wrote:
Hello. I am 42 years old and hve been on the pill since I was 18. Recently, after problems with the pill and trying the mini pill (cerazette) which caused constant spotting throughout the month I am considering having an iud fitted. After hearing various horror stories about pain during insertion, heavy painful periods etc I have decided I need more info. Any positive experiences here.
Glad for any advice
I'm 42 have 3 kids and got my tubes tide when I was 34. Done with having kids and its the best thing I did for my husband and our sex life. No worries about birth control! I was on the pill and had depo shots before. My periods are about 5 to 7 days cramping and bloating which I got while I used birth control so no real difference. Enjoy your life and get your tubes tide for no worries.
lara

India

#51 Oct 24, 2006
hi there everyone was reading your comments to get a bit of advice!
I had a copper coil putin last november all had been great but for the last 3 months i barely ever stop bleeding!
Is this common as i would have thought it would have happened sooner if it was the coil not almost a year later
sarah

United States

#52 Nov 2, 2006
hi! i had an IUD put in just a year ago this month. for the first four months or so i had almost constant cramping (now... we're not talking light cramping but shooting down your leg hold on to the banister cramping). every month it became less and less until, within the last four months or so, i have cramping on the first day of my period and that's it. even through all that i would recommend the copper IUD completely... it may not be the best solution for everyone, but it was for me. like any birth control method you should monitor your health and go to the doctor if an issue comes up. best of luck!
wheeler

Feltham, UK

#53 Nov 16, 2006
Hi, I had a copper IUD put in 2 years ago, I chose the copper one as I was sick of hormones in pills and injections.(They made me.... well 'hormonal')

My Doctor did explain that my periods may be painful and heavy as the body will try to reject the object. After suffering heavy bleeding and cramps for the first year I am now quite pleased to say that I am regular as clockwork, no mood swings and lighter periods.
Just needed to suffer a little at first with the painful periods.
Also during intercourse my partner can feel the threads which is very irritating for him but that only happens if I am on top, due to the positioning of the threads.
to all those considering the iud method, I hope all goes well, the doctors can always answer your concerns and dont be shy to ask.
Faith

Siloam Springs, AR

#54 Dec 13, 2006
i'm thinking about getting the IUD and i'm not sure what kind to get, i dont want to have kids for awhile. i'm tired of wondering whether or not i'm pregnant. i hope this type of birth control is for me. i'm on the ring right now, its ok but it falls out. wish me luck!
caro

UK

#55 Dec 14, 2006
I got a copper IUD inserted last week. I am still getting spotting, and cramps, and I cannot feel the threads. Yet, the doctor does not seem to be worried about it for now. I am wondering if sexual intercourse should be avoided for a certain time in order to avoid infection, or making the coil move, or I don't know what. Can anyone inform me?
Violet

Oshawa, Canada

#56 Dec 14, 2006
Well, I initially loved it..had two put in over the last 4 years...this one is lost in my uterus...painful, with lot of cramps..and sex is very uncomfortable...I am booked for surgery to have it removed.. I need to be put under....I really would not recommend this.>Periods are heavier then usual and last bit longer...Good luck! Make wise and educated choices ladies.

“...my medical opinion is...”

Since: Dec 06

United States

#57 Dec 17, 2006
I had an IUD... I had my period for 5 months, it poked an assist on my uterus-causing it to leak toxic nasties, it poked my my boyfriend in the ahem, causing him to bleed, finally I had to have it surgically removed and several D/C *the bleeding also came from other problems, but hat made in heavier. I was in and out of the hospital for 5 months before I had it taken out

United States

#58 Dec 17, 2006
caro wrote:
I got a copper IUD inserted last week. I am still getting spotting, and cramps, and I cannot feel the threads. Yet, the doctor does not seem to be worried about it for now. I am wondering if sexual intercourse should be avoided for a certain time in order to avoid infection, or making the coil move, or I don't know what. Can anyone inform me?
when I got one, these threads poked my boyfriend is his ahem and made him bleed!
Liza

Phoenix, AZ

#59 Dec 21, 2006
I got the Paragard Copper IUD on Dec 13. The procedure was quite uncomfortable but only painful for about 2 minutes. Getting measured hurt worse then the actual placement. On Dec 15 I went back to my doctors office but had to see another doctor being that mine was out on vacation, I had really really bad cramping that kind of felt like a contraction if anything... shooting pains down my back, legs, around my belly... the kind of pain that makes you just want to scream, the pain was consistant and lasted a day and half.. I had took some Ibprofen 800 to try and stop the pain but the cramping was so bad that IB800 couldn't even help me.. The doctor checked to make sure everything was in place and had advised me to return if the pain didn't stop... he prescribed me some IB600... knowing that the medicine couldn't help me i didnt get it filled. Now a week later the cramping has died down... my period has started and now i am having to deal with heavy bleeding like i have never seen before... i am not big on pads but im also not ok with the thought of inserting a tampon when there is an object in there... soooo pads it is.. i have to change my pad every 2-3 hours... is this normal?? for those that have had the IUD for a couple months to years does the painful cramping happen every month? are your periods this heavy? how long are your average periods?

United States

#60 Dec 21, 2006
Liza wrote:
I got the Paragard Copper IUD on Dec 13. The procedure was quite uncomfortable but only painful for about 2 minutes. Getting measured hurt worse then the actual placement. On Dec 15 I went back to my doctors office but had to see another doctor being that mine was out on vacation, I had really really bad cramping that kind of felt like a contraction if anything... shooting pains down my back, legs, around my belly... the kind of pain that makes you just want to scream, the pain was consistant and lasted a day and half.. I had took some Ibprofen 800 to try and stop the pain but the cramping was so bad that IB800 couldn't even help me.. The doctor checked to make sure everything was in place and had advised me to return if the pain didn't stop... he prescribed me some IB600... knowing that the medicine couldn't help me i didnt get it filled. Now a week later the cramping has died down... my period has started and now i am having to deal with heavy bleeding like i have never seen before... i am not big on pads but im also not ok with the thought of inserting a tampon when there is an object in there... soooo pads it is.. i have to change my pad every 2-3 hours... is this normal?? for those that have had the IUD for a couple months to years does the painful cramping happen every month? are your periods this heavy? how long are your average periods?
I had my period for 3 months with it, I kept ending up in the hospital because I'd bleed so much, I'd have to get an IV and such... it was bad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 1 hr Amber eugenio 1,647
calling all women with the MIRENA IUD (May '07) 7 hr Cece37 1,816
IUD removal and blood clots? (May '08) May 18 DMarie 207
please think twice about getting a iud paragard... (Sep '11) May 18 Ronicavay 33
Copper IUD experiences (Apr '11) May 14 Jgreer 201
WEIGHT GAIN on Linessa (Jun '08) May 11 Mandy654 43
Birth control + these medications (Aug '07) May 11 Big John 10
More from around the web