copper iud
Nicole

Harrisburg, PA

#544 Dec 30, 2010
I had an IUD put in about 2 months ago, and noticed something that others might want to know. Overall, I am enjoying having the copper IUD and not having to take pills, (I used to get really depressed on hormones), but here's something to be aware of. If you have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), or other digestive issues that cause a lot of swelling or strain on the bowels, an IUD might not be the best option. I have noticed that on days when my stomach isn't digesting like it should, I get sharp pains around the area of my IUD. It's not the IUD's fault, but I think the device does make those days just a little more uncomfortable than they already were. I'm not having it removed any time soon because I think the benefits outweigh that slight problem, but it's something to note.
crystal

Everett, WA

#545 Jan 5, 2011
michelle wrote:
i've had my iud for about 6 years now and have recurrent bacterial vaginosis. even though i've had a steady partner for a while now, any time i've had sex unprotected, i get the vaginosis. is anyone else having this problem? btw-my partner had been tested and has no signs of infection.
I've had my copper iud for about 8 years and I've had the same problem with bacterial vaginosis, it went away for a year or 2 then came back, closer and closer together. Now it doesn't go away for very long after i take antibiotics. It's really frustrating! I also think it has caused my acne to be more severe.
Wafa

San Francisco, CA

#546 Jan 29, 2011
Hey, for anyone considering to get the "paragard" non-hormonal iud, I think it's great. I was having bad side effects from the hormonal iud, the mirena like headaches, mood swings and constant spotting EVERYDAY of the month. Docs kept telling me to give it time but they never went away. Even after 2 years. I had the paragard inserted 2 weeks ago and it hurt worse then I ever imagined. It makes you bleed and cramp for a few days but when things settle down you will love the feeling of having a non-hormonal bc. So far so good but I'm nervous about getting my first period, nurse said it will hurt alot.:(
ChandlerKate

Phoenix, AZ

#547 Feb 1, 2011
Ozzie wrote:
I have had my copper Paragard (TCu 380A) for 13 months. I chose it because I am a very emotionally sensitive person who is prone to anxiety & depression, therefore i thought it to be a better option than taking BCPs or anything that contained hormones.
It was only after i had it inserted that I stumbled across information on copper toxicity.
The insertion process was very painful & uncomfortable for me, however it was over in a matter of minutes so i considered it a worthwhile sacrifice at the time. However since having it put in I have suffered great physical discomfort. Ive had longer & much heavier periods, with very watery blood that just goes everywhere. I switched to using a menstrual cup to try to control the mess & Im emptying it every couple of hours on my heavy days. The cramps are terrible I have to take alot of painkillers each month or i cant function at work. After my period ends I get an intense ache (not cramps) in my uterus that comes on after doing a number 2, this usually lasts a week.
While these physical symptoms are all a huge nuisance, the worst part is actually the emotional symptoms I have suffered.
I now suffer from increased anxiety & depression, especially in the week before my period. I have lost my libido & I feel like my ADHD & problems with temper & aggression are getting worse with the IUD. All this of course affects my relationship with my husband. I have also suffered from more frequent & severe migraines since the IUD.
A tissue mineral analysis (hair test) has shown my copper levels to be 80.8 parts per million with the acceptable range being from 10 to 40.
Hello Ozzie and others: I'm experiencing the same emotional symptoms :o(((- anxiety, extreme moodiness, and aggression, and loss of libido. Have you removed your copper IUD yet? If so, have your symptoms improved?
italy

Turkey

#548 Feb 5, 2011
I got the copper iud in 2 months ago. The bleeding between periods is getting annoying. My doc said this would happen for the first 3 months and if when it continues and I'm unhappy, the iud will be removed. I just want to know if anyone here has had it longer and if the bleeding gets better or if anyone here has removed it followed by getting the hormone one instead?
Jenny

Sines, Portugal

#549 Feb 5, 2011
italy wrote:
I got the copper iud in 2 months ago. The bleeding between periods is getting annoying. My doc said this would happen for the first 3 months and if when it continues and I'm unhappy, the iud will be removed. I just want to know if anyone here has had it longer and if the bleeding gets better or if anyone here has removed it followed by getting the hormone one instead?
Hi
when I got my IUD inserted I spotted for a couple of days but also I was menstruating when I got it inserted but then that passed. I have the non hormonal IUD and I may be concerned if you are still bleeding like that after 2 months. It may be inserted wrong. Maybe a second opinion could help.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#550 Feb 13, 2011
Laura wrote:
<quoted text>
I have lost about 50% of the volume of my hair. I didn't know why I have been losing all my hair until I started to do my research. I definitely believe it is because of the excess copper in my body. Did anyone else with this same problem come off of the IUD and what was the results of your hair growth. I am having it taken out next week and couldn't be more ready. It has hurt my self esteem so badly to have such a loss of my hair. I just hope that it returns. Any advice or similar stories?
Dear Laura,
I noticed a definate change in my hair and had no idea until afterwards that too much copper can be a problem. My hair and skin are still less than ideal and I have had the IUD out for a few months. I also suspected that the problems were merely me getting older...but if it is/was the copper, others should be aware of this PRIOR to using the copper IUD. I hope you are feeling better:)

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#551 Feb 13, 2011
Ozzie wrote:
A tissue mineral analysis (hair test) has shown my copper levels to be 80.8 parts per million with the acceptable range being from 10 to 40.
Most doctors will never tell you about copper toxicity & will assure you that the side effects are only minor physical discomfort, but it pays to do your own research & share your experience with others, Thanks for reading & hope this info helps someone to make an informed decision.
How does one go about getting one of these tests? Can you do it yourself? I would be interested in knowing my own levels of copper. Very interesting info:) Hope you are feeling better.
Erika

Tacoma, WA

#552 Feb 16, 2011
Is there any safe pregnacy prevention method?? for gods sake! Condoms are only 80 to 90% effective, I've tried the shot, it made me a depressed psychopath, pills gave me back, neck, and chest acne, I'm not going to take a morning after pill every time i want to have unprotected sex with my boyfriend. i thought an IUD would be the answer, after reading this there is no way i'm paying 400$ for my hair to fall out and to ge tired all the time. All i can think is how much women have to deal with. Do men have to deal with hormonal imbalance that cause weight gain and acne and mood smings? no! are they the ones that have to get an abortion or a shot or take a pill or have an iud inserted. no. This is so frustrating.
Erika

Tacoma, WA

#553 Feb 16, 2011
so pretty much i have the choice of getting knocked up, ruining my body in some way, or never having sex again. great.
Jenny

Sines, Portugal

#555 Feb 17, 2011
Erika wrote:
Is there any safe pregnacy prevention method?? for gods sake! Condoms are only 80 to 90% effective, I've tried the shot, it made me a depressed psychopath, pills gave me back, neck, and chest acne, I'm not going to take a morning after pill every time i want to have unprotected sex with my boyfriend. i thought an IUD would be the answer, after reading this there is no way i'm paying 400$ for my hair to fall out and to ge tired all the time. All i can think is how much women have to deal with. Do men have to deal with hormonal imbalance that cause weight gain and acne and mood smings? no! are they the ones that have to get an abortion or a shot or take a pill or have an iud inserted. no. This is so frustrating.
AMEN Erika!!!!Couldn't agree with you more.
Tina

United States

#556 Feb 24, 2011
Same with me!!! It was awful! I was in terrible pain! Her comment " you have a low pain tolerance" no really? Haven't had children either. I don't reccomend it to girls who haven't had kids, unless it's my situation where you can't have hormones and don't want kids. Make sure to ask for the numbing ointment, I unfortunately didn't think about that. My question is I've had my copper iud since sept 2010, my last period started feb 14 ended the 20th. My periods before the iud we 2-3 days max! I have had a weird spotting. It resembles bloody snot with occasional tanish tenting. No pain associated.
Wendy wrote:
<quoted text>
I had my copper IUD inserted a week ago. It was extremely painful. She had to dilate my uterus in order to insert because I've never had children and my uterus was tight and tilted. Afterwards, she told me that I had actually went through labor contractions! I wasn't given anything for pain either! It's was torture! Now, I'm doing well. I've quit bleeding and I haven't any cramps but I can't feel the string. I don't know what to do. I don't exactly know how far inside it should be. I guess I'll give it a couple more days and try again. I had such a terrible experience having it inserted that I'm scared to go back!
So many issues

Evansville, IN

#557 Mar 11, 2011
I just got my Paraguard pulled after two years. Ever since I got it in I have had issues. I had the normal side effects of initial cramping and bleeding for the first three months. And I've had continuous discharge during the entire time it's been in. But I've also had very irregular periods and mood swings and uncontrollable weight gain. To top it off my doctor finally checked my hormone levels to find that they were menopausal!! I'm not even 40 yet! She took my levels twice just to make sure and they were way off both times. So I had it pulled and I'm hoping that in the next few months my body gets back to normal! I don't think I'll ever try the IUD again.
Ginger

Mississauga, Canada

#558 Mar 16, 2011
i live in mississauga also and i cant find a doctor anywhere to put a iud in for me i want the copper one because the hormones in the pill make me really sick anyone elce from here know a clinic i can get it at?
Magda wrote:
I totally love it! I have had two kids, and it works great for me. The insertion was not painful for me at all, find a good doctor to do it, apperantly it makes a difference. Dr. Hakim in mississauga is great. My periods are heavier but last only 3-5 days. And I don't experience huge cramping. I hated hormonal birth control it made me freak out and have acne. The copper that you get out of it dailey is less then a serving of food that contains it. Do find out if you have an allergy to copper first. I find it great!
Laura

Los Angeles, CA

#559 Apr 4, 2011
I have a copper IUD. I have had it in for 6 months. I was having sex on Saturday morning. My Boyfriend said he felt like something was poking him. We switched positions. Then it started to really hurt. It's Monday. I am still having abdominal pain. I think I can only feel one of the strings, but I am not really sure. I just switched jobs so my health insurance has run out for the next 80 days. I really don't want to go to the hospital, but I feel like this IUD has moved or something is wrong. I'm in Los Angeles. To make matters worse my car has given me all these messages about how some fuse has faulted. So I cant drive. I have walked to work this morning. I just don't know what to do. I feel like I am drowning and my abdomen is so sore I can't touch it or press on it.
Jenny

Sines, Portugal

#560 Apr 4, 2011
Laura wrote:
I have a copper IUD. I have had it in for 6 months. I was having sex on Saturday morning. My Boyfriend said he felt like something was poking him. We switched positions. Then it started to really hurt. It's Monday. I am still having abdominal pain. I think I can only feel one of the strings, but I am not really sure. I just switched jobs so my health insurance has run out for the next 80 days. I really don't want to go to the hospital, but I feel like this IUD has moved or something is wrong. I'm in Los Angeles. To make matters worse my car has given me all these messages about how some fuse has faulted. So I cant drive. I have walked to work this morning. I just don't know what to do. I feel like I am drowning and my abdomen is so sore I can't touch it or press on it.
If I you were you I would definately go to the hospital to find out what's happening. Get a friend to drive you. This is your health your talking about and if its that sore to touch than I would go and find out what's happening. Best of luck!! Jenny
katie

United States

#561 Apr 7, 2011
i have been on the copper one for all most two years and in December i was late for my period and now im having a period every 14 days for like five days with bad cramming has any one had the same stuff happen to them
Missez

Calgary, Canada

#562 Apr 10, 2011
Hello! I have had my copper iud for 9 months now, insertion was painful, then my periods lasted two weeks at a shot, and I've been diagnosed with BV. But I am kid free , lol so weigh the pros and cons... BV is a pain.. Yourdischarge is nasty and very putrid... I think I'm going to get it removed :( my doc prescribed me yaz to combat the BV because of what the copper does to ur uterus ... 3days in with the yaz, and Nauseous oh so bad , never wanted to put hormones into my body :(
Good Luck!!
Jenny

Setúbal, Portugal

#563 Apr 11, 2011
Missez wrote:
Hello! I have had my copper iud for 9 months now, insertion was painful, then my periods lasted two weeks at a shot, and I've been diagnosed with BV. But I am kid free , lol so weigh the pros and cons... BV is a pain.. Yourdischarge is nasty and very putrid... I think I'm going to get it removed :( my doc prescribed me yaz to combat the BV because of what the copper does to ur uterus ... 3days in with the yaz, and Nauseous oh so bad , never wanted to put hormones into my body :(
Good Luck!!
Hello!!
I would stay clear of Yasmin, Yaz or Diane 35. They all have the same substance when you get off of it your hair starts to fall out like crazy. Besides if you're already have a IUD inserted to prevent pregnancy and now you have to take the pill because of the pain then I would do one or the other but not both. Seems pointless for you to have the IUD then.
Good luck!!!
Missez

Stettler, Canada

#564 Apr 11, 2011
Yeah.... Lol that was my thought!! I don't want to take the pill at all and I'm so I'll :( I might kist say eff it and go cold turkey on the sex lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) 9 hr Gitz 3,520
Sex Drive on the Copper IUD (Nov '06) 11 hr Catriona 847
Jadelle... The arm implant .... (Nov '11) 21 hr Mona22 28
Negative side effects of Minastrin FE (Feb '14) Fri Jgril 25
Microgestin FE 1/20 causing depression/low sex ... (Aug '07) Fri Bre89 536
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Thu Dany 1,240
calling all women with the MIRENA IUD (May '07) Jul 27 LMOS512 1,719
More from around the web