copper iud
ALABAMA

United States

#524 Sep 27, 2010
MELISSA wrote:
I have had the paragard in for about 2 months. My hair has gotten soooooo dry and brittle from it. I used to have reaaly soft, smooth hair. Now it is just really dry. I also have terrible discharge from it. It's like I need to use a pad everyday. I think I am going to have it removed.
I've had the paragard for 2 years now and I also have had to deal with annoying discharge. I've also had headaches and just feel pretty terrible at this point. I've made an appt. to have mine out next week.
ALABAMA

United States

#525 Sep 27, 2010
susan wrote:
I had a copper iud after the birth of my daughter...shortly after i developed a itchy skin rash that turned into a horrible staph infection on my legs and spread all over my body. The sad part is i thought i had caught a real bad case of mrsa and didnt even make a connection with the iud for a whole year. After i got it removed the rash with the help of antibiotics cleared up and never returned again...i am happy to say i got my life back. And i will never insert any foreign objects into my body again.
I'm just really feeling you on not having foreign objects in your body. My body's been fighting my paragard iud for two years now and I've had enough. I've made an appt to get mine out next week and hope to start feeling some relief.
TMS

Gastonia, NC

#526 Sep 28, 2010
Doctors may minimize the side effects of Copper IUD due to it not having hormones. However, it does have hormonal side effects to the body. I had the Coopper IUD for 7 months. My experience included heavier periods, oily skin/ugly acne, anemia, hair loss and crazy headaches. Good luck to you, not good for me!
Jenny

Santo André, Portugal

#527 Oct 3, 2010
amber84 wrote:
thank you to who ever wrote the comment about the toxic copper. i didnt know anything about the body getting to much copper. I looked it up because i am having major hair loss and this is what i found.....
The metal copper controls hair growth and hair loss. Healthy tissue concentrations of copper lie between 1.7 and 3.5 milligrams. Everything else will cause hair loss. You can have too little copper (below 1.7 milligrams) or too much copper (above 3.5 milligrams) and the same thing will happen: kiss your hair good-bye.
i am calling my doctor monday and having this taken out. i have always had thin hair but never like this.
I got my IUD inserted in 2008 and since then I have noticed my hair getting much thinner and falling out like crazy. The IUD that my doctor used is Multiload. I have gotten blood work done to see what may be causing such hairloss and everything came back normal so I am convinced what's causing this is the IUD. Now, my concern is whether or not after removing it if my hair will go back to normal. I haven't been to one doctor that admits that this could be the cause of my hairloss. They're quicker to say I'm depressed or stressed rather then admitting that this could be the real problem.
sally

Portage, MI

#528 Oct 23, 2010
my periods are heavy and i think im having a miscarraige, im on my way to the er
Tahnioca

Perth, Australia

#529 Oct 28, 2010
Here is a reputable lab (one of the only 2 in Australia) that does Hair Mineral Analysis tests.
http://www.safelabs.com.au/
You are required to send them a tablespoon of your hair & a week later you receive a detailed report of all minerals, metals & toxins found in your system many of which cannot be accurately measured through a blood test. It costs about $90au
which is cheaper than most naturopaths will charge however you may need an expert to interpret the graphs & figures on your report. I highly recommend this test for anyone using a copper IUD even if you are not yet feeling any ill side effects you never know what it could do to you in the long run.
Be informed & do as much research as you can before letting any doctor make decisions for you!
Kate smith

United States

#530 Oct 31, 2010
I got the copper IUD in April of 2010. It gets much better as the time goes on. When I first got it inserted it pinched for a second but nothing too bad. The evening I got really bad cramps so I just took some Advil. For the next 3 nights I got cramps around the same time. It was annoying I will admit but I stuck it out and they stopped. After the cramps I spotted for almost 2 weeks but after that I have been fine. No spotting or cramps unless I am on my period. My first 3 periods were heavier than normal but as more time goes on they hVe gotten shorter and no so heavy. I have not had any problems with my IUD. I would also like to add that I have 2 friends who also have them and they have not had any problems either. In fact my one friend just got her second one put it because the time limit was up for the first one! Good luck!
cookie

Georgetown, LA

#531 Nov 4, 2010
amber84 wrote:
thank you to who ever wrote the comment about the toxic copper. i didnt know anything about the body getting to much copper. I looked it up because i am having major hair loss and this is what i found.....
The metal copper controls hair growth and hair loss. Healthy tissue concentrations of copper lie between 1.7 and 3.5 milligrams. Everything else will cause hair loss. You can have too little copper (below 1.7 milligrams) or too much copper (above 3.5 milligrams) and the same thing will happen: kiss your hair good-bye.
i am calling my doctor monday and having this taken out. i have always had thin hair but never like this.
I was wondering if you had your IUD removed? I know its been a few years. I've had my paragard for 2 months and i notcied strands of hair all day long falling out on the floor and hanging off my clothes.
Jenny

Santo André, Portugal

#532 Nov 4, 2010
Laura wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had a copper IUD for almost 2 years now. I have not had many side effects except one MAJOR one. I have lost about 50% of the volume of my hair. I didn't know why I have been losing all my hair until I started to do my research. I definitely believe it is because of the excess copper in my body. Did anyone else with this same problem come off of the IUD and what was the results of your hair growth. I am having it taken out next week and couldn't be more ready. It has hurt my self esteem so badly to have such a loss of my hair. I just hope that it returns. Any advice or similar stories?
Hi Laura,
I'm curious if you did end up removing your IUD and if you noticed a change in your hair. I hope your health has recovered and that you have a full head of beautiful hair.:))
Jenny
Michelle

Aurora, CO

#533 Nov 6, 2010
I had an IUD placed almost a month ago. I did some research prior to the insertion and had myself really nervous about the pain that I would experience during the procedure. I have no children and was afraid of the intensity of dilating my cervix. It ended up being way better than I expected. I did not find the process to be that painful, just uncomfortable. I focused on breathing deeply and relaxing and before I knew it, it was over. I have had one period so far and it was nothing out of control. Certainly a little heavier than I am used to as I have been on hormonal BC for years. Every once in a while I have some cramping and I am fully confident that it is from the IUD, but feel that it is absolutely manageable. My libido is noticeably better which is really exciting as the hormonal BC lowers it considerably for me. I understand that I haven't had my IUD very long, but feel that it was a great decision. I wanted to share this to let others know that not everyone has a bad experience. It didn't hurt that bad and thus far I have no side effects. It is possible. Everyone is different, so what hurts someone else really bad may not hurt you.
Andie from PA

Spring Grove, PA

#534 Nov 10, 2010
brandi wrote:
i didn't mention that i had the mirena IUD put in so it has the hormones, i was reading all this contemplating the switch to the copper one. it always just seemed like a bad idea to put metal in your body..but it may be an okay swap to get rid of the hormones!
I have had a copper IUD for 8 years and love it. Yes, my menstrual cycle is a little heavier on 3 days of the month, but that is it. I do not have worse cramps and I did not mind the insertion process. The doctor made sure to schedule it on day 7 of my mestrual cycle--this is key, he said, because the cervix is slightly open still. I can imagine that it would be uncomfortable if it were done at another time of month when the cervix is not slightly open. Yikes! It was not a big deal. Actually, my insurance paid for the whole thing. It has been free birth control without hormones for 8 years. I am 44 and I am thinking of just having another one inserted at the 10 year point. The way that the copper works is that it changes the environment so that the egg and sperm cannot combine. It is also the most common form of birth control for female doctors and health care professionals in the US (my doc. told me this). The scares of the IUDs in the 80's, with the infections, etc., are not relevant today, my doctor said, because the string (very small and cannot be felt by partner) is a different material than in the 80s and infection is avoided b/c of this new material. I am so glad that I am not dealing with hormones and that I have a method that I don't have to think about and don't have to worry about. It is 99% effective. Just sharing some positive. Andie
Jenny

Santo André, Portugal

#535 Nov 10, 2010
I went to a new gyno last Saturday and explained my concern about having a copper IUD for 2 and half years and how my hair eversince has been falling out like crazy. She literally looked at me like if I was nuts. She seemed so reluctant to even listen to my explanation and how the copper in the IUD is what is causing this is to my body. This is so frustrating how this is the 2nd doctor I've seen and it absoutley amazes me that these doctor's haven't heard of this symtom or side effect.
perfect3

Phillipsburg, NJ

#536 Nov 20, 2010
tammy wrote:
Hello. I am 42 years old and hve been on the pill since I was 18. Recently, after problems with the pill and trying the mini pill (cerazette) which caused constant spotting throughout the month I am considering having an iud fitted. After hearing various horror stories about pain during insertion, heavy painful periods etc I have decided I need more info. Any positive experiences here.
Glad for any advice
Hi, I did not have any problems w insertion so that's all good, and was happy with Merena for 4 years, however year after it was in place I started to have depression.. now (2 months ago) it is removed and I'm much happier person! now dilemma .. what birth control to use :((( researching paragard, the copper one..
JessicaQ

Medford, OR

#537 Dec 3, 2010
I researched all the birth control options out there and wanted to find a method that didn't throw my body into a hormone frenzy. The copper IUD sounded great! It is a bit invasive but it doesn't allow any room for error like the pill does if you skip a day. When I went in it was more pain than I initially estimated but if you have a doctor that knows what they are doing and you go in to get yourself check out at least once after it is inserted you should be more than fine. It is totally personal however, and different bodies react different ways. I know for me the first month or so was an adaption period. I had more discharge than usual and a lot of intense cramping and spotting but eventually my body adapted and the bleeding is back to it's normal rate and the cramping is not so bad. Overall I would definitely recommend the IUD to anyone that doesn't plan on having children for awhile or again and doesn't want to have to worry.:)
frustrated

Riverside, CA

#538 Dec 6, 2010
I have had the Copper T IUD for a few years becasue I cannot take hormones. It was the best option for me and at first it was just heavier bleeding and cramps. However, i am experiencing severe cystic acne in my back, chest and neck. i have never had a problem with acne but now it is so bad I feel like i cant handle it. I feel stuck becasue Im not sure i would want to rely on just condomes since i cannot take hormones.
EmiLeah

United States

#539 Dec 6, 2010
I thought I was going to be one of the happy problem free Paragard users but the past few months it's been giving me problems. The first 3 years were good.(Minor tolerable changes like longer periods and discharge considered.)

Lately I've been spotting in between cycles.
1 week after finishing my last period sex made me start bleeding again. And a day after that pretty severe cramping. Also, pain running down my inner thighs reminded me of labor. It went away after a day or two so I put off getting it checked out for another week. But....the light bleeding still hasn't stopped so I finally made an appointment. The last straw was this morning in the shower while doing a self exam. My cervix felt swollen with a wider opening. Plus the strings seem longer.

So now I'm worried. Has anyone else had this happen?
Jacklyn

Edenton, NC

#540 Dec 14, 2010
tammy wrote:
Ok,I give up. I am booked to have my iud fitted on the 6th September, I have to find out for myself. Replies appreciated but I think I have heard enough.
I had an iud inserted about a year ago after having my first child and gaining allot of weight on the depo i decided this was the best route for me. Yes there is some cramping when you first get it done and yes it does hurt but they give you pain medicine and the pain was gone by the next day. I was back at work like nothing had happened. Its has been wonderful i did develop some acne but a normal face wash did the trick!!!
Jenny

Loulé, Portugal

#541 Dec 16, 2010
Jenny wrote:
<quoted text>
I got my IUD inserted in 2008 and since then I have noticed my hair getting much thinner and falling out like crazy. The IUD that my doctor used is Multiload. I have gotten blood work done to see what may be causing such hairloss and everything came back normal so I am convinced what's causing this is the IUD. Now, my concern is whether or not after removing it if my hair will go back to normal. I haven't been to one doctor that admits that this could be the cause of my hairloss. They're quicker to say I'm depressed or stressed rather then admitting that this could be the real problem.
Yesterday I went to a dermologist and finally someone gave me an answer that makes sense. He told that both Yasmin and Diane 35 have an ingredient(Yasmin's ANTI-ANDROGEN is Spironolactone
Synthetic steroid which is commonly used as a diuretic or as an Anti-androgen.-Potassium sparing diuretic. This on its own is a weak diuretic. Due to its anti-androgenic effect, it is common component in hormone therapy for male-to-female Transsexual and transgendered people and is also used for treating hair loss and acne in women....hmmm. Why then I wonder some women report the hair loss. It is marketed as a drug to treat acne.)I took both Diane 35 for a few years before going on Yasmin. During the time I was taking this pill my hair and skin were gorgeous and makes sense that the absence of the pill now in my body is what has caused my hairloss and oily skin. I was convinced it was the IUD but in fact its what damage the pill did to my body for so many years. Now I'm on this medication that treats men with prostate inflamation. Apparently one of the side effects is hair growth. This is a snow ball effect. In order for me to get back hair as it was I'm taking meds that have nothing to do with being a woman. By the looks of it the side effects of Yasmin or Diane 35 is for the rest of my life. If I had only know.....
Amy Mississippi

Hernando, MS

#542 Dec 19, 2010
Well, I have had 8 years of pure HELL with this copper piece of crap. I am excited to announce its soon removal. Husband finally had a vasectomy ! I am 39, I have had a lifelong struggle with migraines, and epilepsy recently worsened. I have had contractions "timed", severe abdominal pain & cramps, painful intercourse, menses last 9 to 11 days each month. Pain, Pain, Pain. My hair is falling out. It's time to go! I think my body has been rejecting this foreign body for all these years. I can't take it anymore ! But you never know how your body will react until you try it. I think the hormone ones are easier. Good Luck. I don't recommend this to anyone!
Nicole

Harrisburg, PA

#544 Dec 30, 2010
I had an IUD put in about 2 months ago, and noticed something that others might want to know. Overall, I am enjoying having the copper IUD and not having to take pills, (I used to get really depressed on hormones), but here's something to be aware of. If you have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), or other digestive issues that cause a lot of swelling or strain on the bowels, an IUD might not be the best option. I have noticed that on days when my stomach isn't digesting like it should, I get sharp pains around the area of my IUD. It's not the IUD's fault, but I think the device does make those days just a little more uncomfortable than they already were. I'm not having it removed any time soon because I think the benefits outweigh that slight problem, but it's something to note.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lo Loestrin Fe...?? 3 hr Sawengle 3
Copper IUD and ovarian cysts? (Mar '10) 15 hr Margaret 101
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Sat Katie 1,719
Questions about the mini pill Jan 11 Jen2492 1
Copper IUD experiences (Apr '11) Jan 9 LadyT 220
Mirena removal and bleeding? (May '17) Jan 5 Muu 4
Copper IUD causing acne? (Dec '07) Jan 5 IdRatherBePregnant 393
More from around the web