copper iud
tammy

London, UK

#21 Sep 7, 2006
Finally found my threads tonight, after oontorting myself into every position imaginable, there they were!!.

I was under the impression this would be fairly easy, I had no idea there were so many nooks and crannies up there!!!!. Cramps finally worn off, next obstacle, I suppose, will be my first period, heres hoping no probs.
Catherine

UK

#22 Sep 8, 2006
Hi Tammy,

Are you feeling any better? I slept fine and woke up feeling OK too (although I took some pretty strong painkillers). I didn't have pain yesterday, more discomfort and that sort of heavy, periody feeling. Still there a bit today, but seems to be lessening. I've still got some light bleeding, which is a bit annoying.

I can find my threads, but they are really really short - my fingers are just about not long enough!

My doctor said I shouldn't use tampons for my next period, before I see her again. Did yours say anything like that? I find the idea of not using them really messy and gross and if everything seems fine, I don't see why I shouldn't.

Cat
tammy

UK

#23 Sep 9, 2006
I think I to have been blessed with short fingers!.

My doctor also said to me that I should not use tampons for my first period, but after that I should be able to.

I have just started having some light bleeding, 3 days after having it fitted, I thought I had got away with it.

Just having very mild crampy discomfort, but it is definitely improving with time.

I was on the pill before and have been told to take the rest of my pills. Once I have stopped taking them I should have my first period shortly after. Only hope it wont be too bad.

Fingers crossed
Anna

UK

#24 Sep 12, 2006
Hi everyone,

I had an IUD fitted 6 days ago. It was excruiatingly painful to have fit, but the doctor said it went in easily. Shortly after i started bleeding heavily and bad cramps. This this appears to have calmed down now to light spotting, and the occassional twinge, but i am now noticing a bit of an offensive discharge. The doctor says this is all quite normal, but its kind of getting to me now. Has anyone else experience this spotting / discharge and does it subside? The doctor also said not to have sex for 5 days, but i'm still reluctant - i don't know if it's a "mind over matter" thing due to having this thing inside me. Not sure i've done the right thing having it fitted. Am sonsidering having it removed, advice would be appreciated!!

Anna
tea ali

Waldwick, NJ

#25 Sep 12, 2006
Hi, Anna.
I got my Paraguard fitted 15 days ago. The insertion process was uncomfortable but only for a minute or two. I have had very little cramping and have not needed pain meds. I've been having on and off blood streaked discharge which seems to be subsiding. I also feel reluctant about sex but did try once.I felt no discomfort and my husband did not feel the strings. I'm working on getting used to having something extra inside of me. I understand that you can have heavier periods on the IUD, atleast for the first few cycles- I'll deal with that when I get there. But so far I have to say it hasn't been too bad. I will try my best to stick with this because it's good for 10 years and no hormones. If it doesn't work out my next step will be a tubal. This is just my experience so far, but I hope that you will give it a chance and that it will work well for you.:-)
tammy

UK

#26 Sep 12, 2006
Anna,

I had my iud fitted 6 days ago, I have had light bleeding since which has now started to subside to just a light brownish discharge, and the pains have gone altogether. I was told that a discharge of some kind is quite normal as long as you dont notice a bad smell of any kind as this means there could be an infection. As long as you do not feel unwell and you are not having any lasting pain I would say your situation sounds ok.
Cecilia

Sacramento, CA

#27 Sep 12, 2006
Well, I got my IUD about 7 months ago and the whole process had been horrible. I had constant cramping that was severe. The worst thing about it is the constant bleeding. I would not recommend anybody to get one.
I love my IUD

United States

#28 Sep 12, 2006
hello tammy continue your appointment with your IUD. I'm 18 years old and nulliparous and i love my IUD! I have almost no side effects. Just a slightly heavier bleeding.. That's it.. after 2 months of having it...it absolutely feels nothing..I feel so free...no pills, no hormones and protection for 10 years. Well those cases of having uterine perforation is 1 out of 1000 and usually happens when the physician is not experienced enough. Try planned parenthood they are the best and have absolutely mastered IUD insertions!
beth

London, Canada

#29 Sep 13, 2006
i am thinking about the IUD i am 22 with 3 kids one being 7 months and i am breastfeeding just wanting to know if i should get it BETH FROM TORONTO CA
Nahid wrote:
<quoted text>
I lost consiousness because of the pain I had in my tummy. I went to ER and there was and emergency operation done on me to take my infected IUD out and to take my infected left ouvery. Today, I saw my doctor and she said that there is a chance that the outher ouvery also might have been affected and she might take it out and she might have to take my uteres out also. Don't take any chance with IUD. For the last 17 years I had IUS and nothing had happened but it could happen to anybody.
tea ali

Waldwick, NJ

#30 Sep 13, 2006
beth wrote:
i am thinking about the IUD i am 22 with 3 kids one being 7 months and i am breastfeeding just wanting to know if i should get it BETH FROM TORONTO CA<quoted text>
Beth,

I have read so many horror stories about the IUD. That almost made me decide against. But the thought of not having to remember pills or take other perventive measures changed my mind. Everyone's experience is different. Most people either end up totally loving it or totally hating it. Just read as much as you can and talk to your dr before you decide.
Amanda

United States

#31 Sep 14, 2006
I had an IUD inserted two months ago, I have had heavy bleeding and cramping ever since. My doctor made sure the bleed wasn't coming from my biopsy site,(which it wasn't) so he put me on a one month supply of birth control pills to stop the bleeding. But unfortunately the heavy bleeding and heavy cramping have not subsided. Any comments?
Catherine

UK

#32 Sep 15, 2006
Anna wrote:
Hi everyone,
I had an IUD fitted 6 days ago. It was excruiatingly painful to have fit, but the doctor said it went in easily. Shortly after i started bleeding heavily and bad cramps. This this appears to have calmed down now to light spotting, and the occassional twinge, but i am now noticing a bit of an offensive discharge. The doctor says this is all quite normal, but its kind of getting to me now. Has anyone else experience this spotting / discharge and does it subside? The doctor also said not to have sex for 5 days, but i'm still reluctant - i don't know if it's a "mind over matter" thing due to having this thing inside me. Not sure i've done the right thing having it fitted. Am sonsidering having it removed, advice would be appreciated!!
Anna
Hi Anna,

I've also got a bit of a discharge just over a week later, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. I agree that as long as it doesn't smell and there is no pain or fever, its normal. It seems to be getting a bit less.

Also a bit 'worried' about sex - it feels like I'm not protected!

I definitely wouldn't remove it after you've gone to all the trouble and pain to get it fitted and would give it a go for at least 3 months before thinking about it.

Cat
tea ali

Waldwick, NJ

#33 Sep 15, 2006
Amanda wrote:
I had an IUD inserted two months ago, I have had heavy bleeding and cramping ever since. My doctor made sure the bleed wasn't coming from my biopsy site,(which it wasn't) so he put me on a one month supply of birth control pills to stop the bleeding. But unfortunately the heavy bleeding and heavy cramping have not subsided. Any comments?
Amanda,

I'm sorry that your having trouble with the bleeding. The first 6 mos can be a time of testing. Your uterus is getting used to having a strange new partner. Too much heavy bleeding can lead to anemia. I say try the pills for one month. If you get no relief, look at other options. You have to do what's right for you. I hope that things will be better soon.
tea ali

Waldwick, NJ

#34 Sep 15, 2006
Amanda, I see that you've already tried the pills and you've had it for two months. (Oops, and there's no way to edit, sorry). Personally, I would not want to deal with constant heavy bleeding. I would probably look for something else, but that's just my opinion.
tammy

UK

#35 Sep 16, 2006
I had my coil fitted on the 6th September and am still having daily light bleeding as a result, anyone else experienced this, I was under the impression that this would only last 2 or 3 days or so as that is what the dr told me, also i am having early signs of mild cystitis, could this be connected does anyone know?
tea ali

Waldwick, NJ

#36 Sep 17, 2006
Hi tammy.

I had bleeding on and off for the first three weeks. Just started my first pd. It's days early but so far not too bad.

As far as the cystitis, you should check out www.aphroditewomenshealth.com . Go to the contraception forum and the look at the thread on copper iud allergy. I hope this isn't your problem but what I read sounded like what you noted. Hope this will help you and hope you'll be doing better very soon.
tammy

Birmingham, UK

#37 Sep 20, 2006
tea ali,

Thanks for that, very interesting.

I have been to see my GP about the cystitis symptoms but, luckily, it seems to be clearing up.

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I know it sounds silly but after taking the pill for such a long time it feels strange relying on this for birth control, I will be relieved when my period starts!!
tea ali

Waldwick, NJ

#38 Sep 20, 2006
Hey, Tammy.

I didn't want to scare you, but you mentioned cystitis and I remembered reading about it when I was researching getting an IUD. Alot of scary stuff to consider when you're thinking about birth control. I'm glad that you are doing better.
tammy

UK

#39 Sep 22, 2006
I stopped taking my pills on Sunday, I had continued taking them after having coil fitted as the doctor advised me to do this. I was wondering does anyone know how long it might be before I get my period, it has been 5 days now and still no sign. Don`t want to sound paranoid but I am still getting used to the coil and am just slightly worried.

Anyone else had this experience?.

Thanks

Tammy
Hayley

Gravesend, UK

#40 Sep 23, 2006
Hi,
I have had a iud for around five years,it is due to come out soon,the one I have is called Mirena and all I can say is that it works,I didnt experience any side effects, I cannot take most pills as there is something in themthat makes me feel really nausea.I would reccommend the Mirena coiland as for insertion,its alittle uncomfortable a bit like when you have a smear test but if you take a couple of pain killers before you go its not so bad. Hope this helps....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 21 hr Katie 1,733
Birth Control Pill That Increases Sex Drive (May '07) Feb 12 Josie02 273
Copper IUD and ovarian cysts? (Mar '10) Feb 11 Aly5 102
IUD removal and blood clots? (May '08) Feb 9 Yeni82 213
got Liletta yesterday, canít feel strings today Feb 8 hmm 1
Ortho tri cyclen and blood clots (May '11) Feb 7 Serign 17
Tri-Sprintec (May '08) Feb 5 mechicaloca 180
More from around the web