copper iud
Anne J

Jackson Heights, NY

#241 Sep 30, 2007
To Stacy from IA: I have been having embarassing cystic acne from about the time of insertion of my copper IUD. Also dragging fatigue and a shortness of breath. It took me quite some time to realize the connection might be the IUD. Your info on copper toxicity is incredibly helpful to me. I guess I'm going to have it removed, and go back to the other irritating, unspontaneous methods of birth control that don't contain any hormones (I'm very sensitive to hormone-related BC. That's why I chose the copper IUD). Thanks for your help
StacyM

Iowa City, IA

#242 Sep 30, 2007
You are very welcome.. I didn't know about any "copper toxicity" until after 5 years of acne, depression, fatigue, etc. Then I got smart, did some research and am doing better since I removed the IUD. I finally forced hubby to get a vasectomy and I feel better than I have in 5 years!! Good luck to you!
sar

Verona, WI

#243 Oct 1, 2007
I had the copper for 2 years and then pulled it out. The periods were heavier. The string was a real annoyance. Having a sharp ended fishing line scratching up your vagina can be a nusiance. Despite all of this, it was a million times better then taking pills and hormones.
When I pulled it out it was coated in slime, due to the fact that having it in creates more slime and that's partly how it works. In the future, I'm sure I will get another copper IUD, but I will ask to have the strings cut very short, so they don't scratch.
Kayla

United States

#244 Oct 1, 2007
I'm getting the Copper IUD inserted on Thursday 10/4 and all I've heard so far are mostly horror stories. I've never had kids, I've had the same partner for 4 years, infact my only partner and vise versa. I can not take hormonal BC what so ever so my options are very limited. Anyone have a good experience?
Vesta

Scottsdale, AZ

#245 Oct 1, 2007
Kayla wrote:
I'm getting the Copper IUD inserted on Thursday 10/4 and all I've heard so far are mostly horror stories. I've never had kids, I've had the same partner for 4 years, infact my only partner and vise versa. I can not take hormonal BC what so ever so my options are very limited. Anyone have a good experience?
I am in the same boat you are. I am having mine put in on 10/10. I havn't had any kids and I have had the same partner for over 6 years. I am really freaked out that no one has had a good experience. But I read somewhere that approx 1 million people in the US have it and I only see maybe 100 people complaining about it. I have to assume that people only speak up when there is a problem. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have finally found something worth my time.
StacyM

Brighton, MI

#246 Oct 1, 2007
Well, the only thing you can do is try it. Any negative effects are reversable by removing it if you do have side effects. And many people don't have problems. The reason I wrote in about my problems is that I wanted to share what I have learned so that if someone else does have symptoms similar to what I had, they can be aware that their problems MAY BE from too much copper. I am sure that if my body were able to handle a greater amount of copper, or if I had known that I could have just taken some Zinc to counteract the extra copper in my system, things might have been better for me. It also has a lot to do with the individual who has the IUD and things like diet, supplements that they are taking, and many other variables. I grew up with corn fields on four sides of my house.(yup, I'm from Iowa!!) You have to factor in that I probably already had a lot of copper in my system from growing up around the crop dusting and chemcals that come along with corn fields. Plus, I eat a lot of food that naturally contains copper, and I don't get enough zinc in my daily diet. I don't take a daily vitamin, therefore, get very little zinc. So, all that copper in my system was trouble for me. I just wanted people to know since I know my doctor didn't tell me any info about copper toxicity. So, good luck with your IUD's, and just consider taking a zinc suppliment. But do your own research, by all means. I have already posted these links, but I will do it again, just because I believe that the Copper IUD can be wonderful for some women. I just wish that I would have known this info a long time ago so that I maybe could have prevented heavy periods, depression, acne, fatigue, etc, etc. simply by taking zinc when I had my IUD. By the time I figured it out, I already had way too much copper in my system to fix it by simply taking some zinc. Again, good luck. I didn't find my IUD to be painful to have inserted, and was not bothered by the strings. I will say that I will say that it always felt like I had a foreign body in my uterus, but I am sure at least part of that was psychological. I am a very small woman, so it makes sense that the IUD was probably a bit big for me.(I am only 4'9", which is probably another reason that the copper affected me so negatively)

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxi...

http://www.cybernation.com/livingston/meltdow...

I hope this helps!
sarah

UK

#247 Oct 3, 2007
Patricia wrote:
I had my IUD inserted 10 months ago and have had nothing but problems. It wasnt painful to have inserted, but since then I havent stopped bleeding. I also have really bad cramp like pains all the time. If i move a certain way my lower stomach is in pain. I constantly have lower back pain and mood swings like crazy, my libido is pretty much non existant, lots of discharge, and I have had 5 urinary tract infections since I got the IUD. So after all of this, I went back to my doc, who was also my midwife, after having my first child, and she said it was normal to bleed for up to 6 mo after and the pains r jus my body goin back to normal. I jus don think its normal for so long. I am so lost and dont know where to turn. If anyone agrees or can help please write back.
Its crazy reading your comment was like reading about me! like you i dont really know which way to turn.
stacey

East Orange, NJ

#248 Oct 3, 2007
I've had my iud since the end of August and i've been getting more frequent migraines ever since. I started getting migraines when i was 16 and they came at no particular times. since i've had my second baby i now get a migraine once a month with my period and i'm 34. now i've gotten four migraines since inserting my copper iud. i thought the copper iud didn't have any hormone and i'm wondering why i'm getting more migraines. has this happen to anyone else?
tea ali

Montclair, NJ

#249 Oct 4, 2007
stacey wrote:
I've had my iud since the end of August and i've been getting more frequent migraines ever since. I started getting migraines when i was 16 and they came at no particular times. since i've had my second baby i now get a migraine once a month with my period and i'm 34. now i've gotten four migraines since inserting my copper iud. i thought the copper iud didn't have any hormone and i'm wondering why i'm getting more migraines. has this happen to anyone else?
If you feel the migranes have increased as a direct result of having the IUD inserted, have it removed. Even though it has no hormones, it has copper, which some women can react to. Some women get rashes, some have mood swings, it may very well be affecting your migranes. Have a talk with your gyn.
Nafisa

Edmonton, Canada

#250 Oct 4, 2007
I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for just over a year now. Initially the only side effect I noticed was fuller breasts which was positive for me. Now however, both my boyfriend and I are frustrated at my lack of interest in sex. I want my sex drive back and am looking into getting of the pill and getting a copper IUD, no more hormones.

I am almost 23, had an abortion a few years back but never had a child. I have read it is best if you have had a child to use IUD. Does anyone have comments on this or what else I can expect? I just want my mood swings to go away, my sex drive back, and preferably not have to remember a pill everyday. Currently we also use condoms as a back up, I'm hoping we will not need to once I get the IUD since it is supposed to be much more effective than the pill.
rmh0274

Coventry, UK

#251 Oct 5, 2007
copper iud inserted june 2007, really heavy periods for 2 months, just pouring out, horrible, then end of august non stop bleeding until october when it got really heavy again and hey presto, coil fell out...not sore going in, but increase in weight over 3 months, and now back to pill again....
Melissa

Scottsdale, AZ

#252 Oct 5, 2007
I am going in for my IUD on the 10th. I will let you guys know how everything goes with my "personal experience" I say personal because everyone is different. I hope that I can finally end this horrible hormone disease as i like to call it. I will keep reading your posts to try to put my mind at ease but it won't be easy.

I'll keep in touch.
Christine

Fort Worth, TX

#253 Oct 5, 2007
I had an IUD inserted 6 years ago due to problems with the pill and not sure about having more childen. It seemed simple enough and my doctor encouraged me. It was a very bad mistake and I now wish I had done more research. The IUD pierced through my uterus and lodged in my colon. It is still there today because it is in such a risky location that my colon doctor is strongly against surgery. He said the possiblity of have to where a bag for urine elimination after removing was very high. Needless to say I still have pain from time to time and have great concern about what happens after the recommended 10 years maximum. Then what? I also became pregnant during this time and lost the baby. The IUD actually caused my body to abort the pregnancy. The IUD causes an inviroment where a baby won't survive, not that won't let you get pregnant - sad isn't it. Any way, I'm not a doctor, but from my personal experience and limited knowlege I would tell any friend "NO WAY, DO YOU WANT AN IUD".
amber84

Clear Spring, MD

#254 Oct 5, 2007
thank you to who ever wrote the comment about the toxic copper. i didnt know anything about the body getting to much copper. I looked it up because i am having major hair loss and this is what i found.....
The metal copper controls hair growth and hair loss. Healthy tissue concentrations of copper lie between 1.7 and 3.5 milligrams. Everything else will cause hair loss. You can have too little copper (below 1.7 milligrams) or too much copper (above 3.5 milligrams) and the same thing will happen: kiss your hair good-bye.
i am calling my doctor monday and having this taken out. i have always had thin hair but never like this.
StacyM

Brighton, MI

#255 Oct 7, 2007
Nafisa wrote:
I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for just over a year now. Initially the only side effect I noticed was fuller breasts which was positive for me. Now however, both my boyfriend and I are frustrated at my lack of interest in sex. I want my sex drive back and am looking into getting of the pill and getting a copper IUD, no more hormones.
I am almost 23, had an abortion a few years back but never had a child. I have read it is best if you have had a child to use IUD. Does anyone have comments on this or what else I can expect? I just want my mood swings to go away, my sex drive back, and preferably not have to remember a pill everyday. Currently we also use condoms as a back up, I'm hoping we will not need to once I get the IUD since it is supposed to be much more effective than the pill.
The reason it's "best" to have a child before getting an IUD is because it may cause scarring and make it difficult to get pregnant when you do want to have a baby. Also, I think it it said to be more painful to have it inserted before you have had a baby. Docs around here like to insert them at your 6 wk check up after having your baby or at least at the end of your period when the cervix is a little more "open". Hope that helps!
Nafisa

Edmonton, Canada

#256 Oct 9, 2007
It does. I'm wondering if it's worth it to do it. I mean it would be nice to not have to worry about birth control so much for like 10 years, but I think me and my boyfriend would probably still use condoms right now to be extra careful. I know I don't want hormones, stopped taking OTC Lo today, decided I was done with it. Thinking of just sticking with condoms and be extra careful with them. We've never had any break or come off or anything like that so far. We just aren't ready for a kid. I'm worried about the side effects some people have had, and I do want kids in the future.
Melissa

Scottsdale, AZ

#257 Oct 11, 2007
Okay guys. For all of you wondering about the insertion process. And if it is worth it.

I had mine inserted yesterday. I worked myself up for nothing. I have had no children and I can't handle the hormones in pills to me and my doc decided this would be the best for me.

I had to sign my release form and then insertion began. My md said that it may feel like cramps. This is wrong it doesn't necessarily feel like a cramp, more like the feeling of how a shot feels except it is on the inside. It feels like a sharp pain. This only lasted for a minute though, once the IUD was in he cut the strings, he left them long enough so that they would wrap around the cervix instead of poking straight out. This will decrease the chance of my BF from feeling them during sex. He told me to continue taking my birth control for another 2 weeks, even though they say it is immediatly effective he didn't want to take any chances.

I had minor cramping and no bleeding, I still have a little cramping and I have a pad on hand just incase. But I was probably pretty lucky that I took it so well.

All in all I really worried way too much. The pain was intense but nothing I havn't been through before. It wasn't as much as the pain it was the kind of pain, a weird feeling. For those of you who are debating whether to get one, look at all the options first, I basically had no choice it was either this or nothing. And I can't put my body through any more miscarriages for a while so this was it for me.

If you have any questions, just ask and I will respond.
christine

Van Nuys, CA

#258 Oct 13, 2007
I got my copper iud 3 months ago. I had a girl 19 months ago and didn't want to go on the pill, which caused me major acne and irregular /missing periods for 4 years when I stopped taking it. The insertion was ok, just a little cramping, which continued for another day. Coincidence or not - I developed lower back pain and nerve spasms in both legs around the same time, which seem to go away slowly now. My doctor and I am trying to figure out if it is related at all. The ultrasound showed that everything is where it belongs to be and after endless sessions with chiropracters, accupunturists, etc. I seem to get better. At first I thought that I was secrectly wishing for another child, since all my friends have their second babies on their way...but after thinking it through and really not being ready for another child, I let that theory go.
To keep it short:
My periods are either weak and take 10 days or strong/crampy and short.
I have increased discharge which is seethrough or mildly colored and very anoying, because I hate pantyliners.
I have less interest in sex, which is very odd, since this is the first time in many years that I don't have to pay attention to my cycle.(The back pain probably didn't help)
And last but not least I want to thank that lady that recommended taking zinc while having a copper iud, I 'll try that out immediately, since I developed impurities - and that though I am using retinol a cream.

In the long run I might be happy iud user, I just had a bumpy start.
I appologize for typos, English is my second language.
Good luck ladies!
Melissa

Scottsdale, AZ

#259 Oct 15, 2007
I have only had this for about 5 days now. I have already noticed a huge difference in my attitude. I no longer have fatigue and my cramps are slowly disapaiting. My libido is back in full swing, I feel like I did when I went off the pill. This is great and my boyfriend isn't complaining one bit. I have slighlty colored discharge but it is nothing that really bothers me too much. I am going to be a really happy iud user, I am so glad I made this decision.
Silvania

Brooklyn, NY

#260 Oct 22, 2007
Hello everyone: I'd like to give my personal experience of having the IUD in after almost 2 years. I had my IUD put in around December of 2005. After the first 6 months, my period was still heavy and the cramps were unbelievable but I was happy overall with my decision to have it placed--after all, I have twins (girl and boy) and have plans to attend medical school in 2008. Then, last year as I studied intensely for my standardized exams, I noticed I was getting rashes all over my forehead, and pimples and I have never had pimples in my life!! I was devastated and stopped using all the lipglosses and any other cosmetics I had been using. I recently started getting palpitations and hot flashes, and I had a UTI last month which is now resolved. I noticed that I would have bouts of sadness and anxiety coupled with insomnia and fatigue in a cyclic manner. After reading some of the posts on this site, I just called my OB/GYN to advise her of all of the problems I've been having and to have her remove the IUD immediately. I am a registered nurse and I am a little embarrassed to say that I never even considered it a possibility that the IUD could be the source of all my problems and symptoms..I blamed it on stress and being "hormonal". I'd like to add that my older sister has had the IUD for about 6 months longer than I and she is extremely pleased with it thus far. The bottom line here is this: you should try the IUD if your're a good candidate for it, but be very mindful of what your body is telling you. Either the IUD is good to go or it has got to go... take care of yourselves ladies. thanks for listening

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
blood clots w/ortho tricyclen lo (Feb '08) Wed Tamiko 266
WEIGHT GAIN on Linessa (Jun '08) Wed beccs 44
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Jan 17 Margaret 1,721
Lo Loestrin Fe...?? Jan 15 Sawengle 3
Copper IUD and ovarian cysts? (Mar '10) Jan 15 Margaret 101
Questions about the mini pill Jan 11 Jen2492 1
Copper IUD experiences (Apr '11) Jan 9 LadyT 220
More from around the web