copper iud
First Prev
of 33
Next Last
tammy

Israel

#1 Jul 2, 2006
Hello. I am 42 years old and hve been on the pill since I was 18. Recently, after problems with the pill and trying the mini pill (cerazette) which caused constant spotting throughout the month I am considering having an iud fitted. After hearing various horror stories about pain during insertion, heavy painful periods etc I have decided I need more info. Any positive experiences here.

Glad for any advice
tiffany

Denver, CO

#2 Jul 8, 2006
if your not planning on having children, why don't you just get your tubes tied? i considered and IUD, but they say "they don't know why it works, but it does" that was not convincing enough to leave a metal antenna in my uterus for 5 years, ya know?
Darnella

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jul 30, 2006
I went Friday to get an IUD. Before you get it inserted in you they give you paper work to fill out, saying that they are not responsible if it get stuck in your uterus, theres no medication to help you out, you can have several miscarriages, it hurts like hell, way worst than a pap smear and the one that made me not get the IUD, It can cause you to lose your uterus. I asked 4 nurses after that, that wasent affiliated with the clinic, they all told me not to get it. The fourth nurse told me she was able to have one kid and lost her uterus in the process. So now my decison is a no - brainer. No iud for me!
Rachel

AOL

#4 Aug 16, 2006
DO NOT GET AN IUD. When they told me all the possible side effects, they also told me not to worry, that none of those were going to happen. The IUD put a whole in my uterus, and after 3 days of extreme pain, I went to the ER and they had to do surgery to take it out, because it went all the way through my uterus and was somewhere in my pelvic region. These are NOT safe!
kriztina

Mississauga, Canada

#5 Aug 17, 2006
I started loosing my hair because of it, too much or too little copper in my system, because of the iud. It effected the copper balance in my system, nice e?, and plus I would bleed for 7-8 days every month, and had terrible cramps, lots a zits, should I go on and on? please don't get it!!!!
tammy

London, UK

#6 Aug 18, 2006
I have been told that the IUD is a reliable, popular and safe form of birth control. All of your experiences sound horrendous but I cannot believe they are typical.
Once again, any POSITIVE experiences here?, I don`t need any more horror stories!!!.
Nahid

Hawthorne, CA

#7 Aug 18, 2006
tammy wrote:
I have been told that the IUD is a reliable, popular and safe form of birth control. All of your experiences sound horrendous but I cannot believe they are typical.
Once again, any POSITIVE experiences here?, I don`t need any more horror stories!!!.
I lost consiousness because of the pain I had in my tummy. I went to ER and there was and emergency operation done on me to take my infected IUD out and to take my infected left ouvery. Today, I saw my doctor and she said that there is a chance that the outher ouvery also might have been affected and she might take it out and she might have to take my uteres out also. Don't take any chance with IUD. For the last 17 years I had IUS and nothing had happened but it could happen to anybody.
tammy

UK

#8 Aug 19, 2006
Ok,I give up. I am booked to have my iud fitted on the 6th September, I have to find out for myself. Replies appreciated but I think I have heard enough.
Dee

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Aug 22, 2006
I had the IUD inserted and have only had bleeding a little heavier than normal (well than on the pill), cramps have not been an issue for me either. Yes there are several side effects, but that is with everything. There are side effects from tampons and people still use them, don't they. I think it depends on each person. Some people love them and some hate them.
Dee

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Aug 22, 2006
tammy wrote:
Ok,I give up. I am booked to have my iud fitted on the 6th September, I have to find out for myself. Replies appreciated but I think I have heard enough.
go ahead and have it done tammy, if you and your dr think it's right for you then do it. just be sure to monitor yourself for any of the side effects that they list. good luck.
tammy

UK

#11 Aug 22, 2006
Dee,

Thanks for the reply, very interesting.

Tammy
Cat

Collingwood, Australia

#12 Aug 23, 2006
i have had an iud in now for 3 yrs. There are many that u can use and i'm sure ur doctor has gone through them with u and together u have chosen one appropriate to u and ur body. Apart from the cramping here and there i havent had a prblem. my periods have been far and few and this one didnt even hurt to put in... I guess everyone is different! If u think that it is the best choice for you then go for it, as long as u have done ur reasearch, i say go for it!!!
Cat

Collingwood, Australia

#13 Aug 23, 2006
I forgot to tell you the name of the iud. It is called mirena. Look up the website www.mirena.com and it will tell you everything you need to know! Also the good thing about this form of contraception is that it lasts for up tp 5 yrs at a time. All the best!
tammy

Smethwick, UK

#14 Aug 23, 2006
Cat,

Thanks very much for that.

The one I am going for is the non-hormonal one as I was having problems with the pill, but I am not sure what it is called (it lasts for 5 years).

Once again thanks for the info.

Tammy
Cat

Collingwood, Australia

#15 Aug 23, 2006
not a problem. Let me know how u go. i hope that it goes well for you. just remebr at the start it might be a bit painful or uncomfortable as your body will need to adjust to iud being put in place and this tends to settle after about 6months...
Lisa

United States

#16 Sep 1, 2006
I just had the IUD put in yesterday and I am bleeding a lot. I am also on my period. I am hoping this won't last for long. I can't use anything w/hormones b/c it gives me horrible daily migraines. The copper IUD was the best choice I thought, but after reading this I'm sort of freaking out!! I have 3 kids and I don't want another one right away for certain. But we might want another in the future. I hope this works out, I would LOVE to hear more positive experiences as well!!
Lisa

United States

#17 Sep 1, 2006
Cat wrote:
not a problem. Let me know how u go. i hope that it goes well for you. just remebr at the start it might be a bit painful or uncomfortable as your body will need to adjust to iud being put in place and this tends to settle after about 6months...
Cat,
what do you mean exactly about your body adjusting for six months? Does it mean a lot of heavy bleeding for about six months? Or spotting? I didn't have a problem with it being put in, but now I am bleeding a LOT and getting concerned...wondering if it will let up??
Lisa
tammy

Southampton, UK

#18 Sep 6, 2006
Had my iud fitted this evening, It was painful but only for a few seconds and I felt a bit shaky afterwards. No bleeding at the moment but expect I will get some later. Cramping pains are unpleasant but expected. Fingers crossed.
Catherine

UK

#19 Sep 6, 2006
Hi Tammy,

That's weird, I had mine fitted this evening too and that's why I was looking for other people's experiences! My back is really sore (which is what I usually get around my periods) and I've started to bleed a little. I hope it will be gone by tomorrow. Let me know how you're getting along.

Cat
tammy

London, UK

#20 Sep 7, 2006
Sleepless night last night, the cramps were really bad. I felt really unsettled and a bit tearful this morning as well, I think it is the thought of having this `thing` inside me.

Tried to find my threads today but with no luck, I am a bit worried as the doctor told me they will be quite long for a few week and then I can have them cut, if needed, at my 6 week check up. Anyone else have trouble finding their threads in the early stages

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IUD removal and blood clots? (May '08) 3 hr Stunned 202
Heavy bleeding and cramping after Mirena removal (Dec '12) Thu Miri 254
Ortho Tricyclen Lo... (Jan '07) Feb 22 Alexandra 137
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Feb 22 sweetgagirl 1,597
birth control and breast size (Mar '08) Feb 21 erica 205
blood clots w/ortho tricyclen lo (Feb '08) Feb 20 Zoe E-L 265
Trinessa- VERY different from Ortho Tri Cyclen (Apr '10) Feb 19 NaudiaH 57
More from around the web