Copper IUD and ovarian cysts?

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jodi K

Olympia, WA

#1 Mar 2, 2010
Have any of you had or had symptoms of ovarian cysts since getting the copper IUD?
After having mine in for about a month (may 2009) I was having terrible and scary sharp pains on my left ovary. I thought the IUD had fallen out of place and was jabbing my ovary. Besides the random shooting sharp pains It hurt to cough, laugh, go to the bathroom, standup, although I could stand up ok if I put the pressure on my right side. It was scary. It was the weekend and it kept getting worse so we went to the ER ( I have never gone to the ER before) they did all kinds of tests and found the IUD in place and nothing wrong. After I left and the IV drugs wore off the pain was gone. I'm sure it must have been a rupturing cyst. Otherwise it would have shown up in the xray or CT scan. About every other month since then I have had bad pain down there. Not as bad as the first time usually but it is always on the left side and i get really bloated and I'm feeling it right now too. The pain is going down into my thighs this time. Always on the left ovary side though. I know it has to be a cyst. Have any of you had this since getting the IUD or during the time you had it? I do have symptoms of PCOS, but I dont have hair growth and stuff..I feel like my estrogen is super high though..it matches all of my symptoms. Anyways I'm getting the IUD out in 6 days and I'm hoping it will end whatever has been going on. I have other bad side effects from birth contol and this IUD so I wouldnt be suprised if this was the cause. Let me know if this rings a bell for anyone??
Sharon

York, PA

#2 Apr 23, 2010
I'm having similar symptoms. The first time it happened was one month after getting the IUD. After a day of sharp pain, I was left with a dull ache for at least a week. Then it went away. I never saw the doctor. I was on vacation when it happened.

It's been a year now and the pain happened again though not as severe this time. I'm in the achy stage and while the pain started on the right, I feel some mild pain on the left as well. The sharpness has dulled the last few days, but it's still there. I suspect cycts... hopefully functional since it seems to get better over time. I am due fore my yearly, but without insurance I am afraid to get into massive testing. I can't afford it.:( Hoping it goes away.
Jodi K

Olympia, WA

#3 Apr 26, 2010
Hey Sharon, So I had my IUD removed 2 months ago. Haven't had the weird pain since! My doc would not listen to me when I tried to talk to her about it. Although another girl I know with the same probs had her doctor tell her the iud could be causing cycts. I know it was the iud. Whatever it was.
msdefied

Concord, CA

#4 Apr 27, 2010
The copper can cause an allergic reaction in some people. If you do a search on you tube there are a few clips from md's that discuss how the copper reacts with the hormone and ph levels in the uterous.
I have also had some pains and am definately bloated and spotting, or bleeding more than I would like. HOWEVER, I must say, this low cost, long term, idiot proof form of birth control does afford numerous advantages.
I think it would be ideal for the young woman with an active sex life, in preventing unplanned pregnancuy, in addition to condoms, if she isn't in a monogamous relationship.
Stephanie

Indio, CA

#5 May 3, 2010
I just had my COPPER IUD removed today. For the past two weeks I have been feeling pressure on my right side. When the doctor removed the IUD she felt around and she had told me that I have a cyst. She told me it should pass through on my next period but if it doesn’t I have to have an ultra sound done. I do not feel better after she removed the IUD I am feeling more pain than before!
Daisy

Canada

#6 Jun 3, 2010
I had a copper IUD put in a year ago. My periods get worse every month, I have three week long periods and have been having a lot of pain in my left side (especially during intercourse). Today I was told that I have a cyst on my left side. I am getting the IUD out as soon as I can. I just have a really bad feelign about it. I just don't know what else to do since I don't do well with hormone. Is it painful to get the IUD out?
Jodi K

Olympia, WA

#7 Jun 4, 2010
No it wasn't painful to get out. I felt some pain for a quick second from the thing that they use to open you up. I didn't even feel the IUD coming out. It was fast and painless. I had it in just over a year.
My new doc said that cysts are commone with the Mirena and supposedly rare with the copper IUD but that it can happen and that sometimes if you already have them IUD's can make them worse.
Dana

Carrollton, TX

#8 Jun 21, 2010
I recently ruptured my second ovarian cyst. After the first one I did some research online and determined the sharp pain over my ovaries that spread accross my abdomine which was preceeded by pain during sex could only be a cyst. So after the second, I went to the hospital and explained that I was rupturing a cyst (they thought I was crazy) but they did an ultrasound anyways and found the cyst. They said I need to see my doctor about what was causing the cyst and my appointment is next week but after doing more research online I am positive it is from the Mirena IUD that I have. I got it in Feb 2009 after my 2nd pregnancy. It is now June 2010 and I've had 2 ruptured cyst and I am pretty sure I've had a couple of cyst in between that just didn't rupture.

The pain is unbearable. I would rather go through child birth with no medication than to experience another ruptured cyst. I was very excited about the idea of the IUD ... no pills to take, I used the ring before but it came out too often (Lost it in a pool once), and no doctors appointments as you have with the shot. But the sideeffects were definately NOT worth the ease that came with the IUD.

If my doctor would have explained these possiblities I probably would have stuck with the shot because I hadn't had any complications with it.

I hope this helps someone trying to decide which method of birth control to use.
Jodi K

Olympia, WA

#9 Jun 23, 2010
Oh yes it definitely is a cyst. My first dr would not even listen to me about it. I had the copper iud. My new dr is really into hormones and sexual health etc and she told me that IUD are known to cause cysts in some women and make it worse for those who already have them. I started getting them like clock work before my periods when I got the iud and a year later after removal..waa laa..not once and its been 4 months! My dr said it is more rare with the copper IUD but I think it is more common than they realize.
I totally know what you mean about the pain. I have never gone to the ER in my life but 3 weeks after getting my iud i was freaked out from this horrible sharp pain. I couldnt laugh, cough, move and it started to shoot down my legs. I literally thought the IUD was digging into my left ovary. They didnt find anything at the ER but after I left and the drugs wore off it was gone. I know it was rupturing before hand because it started to pass when I was in the waiting room and by the time I got the drugs it wasn't as bad. I had dealt with it 2 days before my husband was so worried and wanted us to go to the ER. So it had prob been rupturing those 2 days or whatever. I never want to deal with that pain again. They must have believed me a lil because they gave me this huge thing of stool softner/laxative stuff and vicodin.
Angela

Mantua, OH

#10 Aug 6, 2010
I had a ruptured cyst and almost lost my life. 8 months ago I got a copper IUD because the idea of hormones scares me. Before the IUD my periods were always regular, 5-6 days, and usually small cramps on day 1. After the IUD, I bled for close to 10 days, severely for 4- I had to stop exercising those days. I also had vaginal infections every month, since getting the IUD. Well, I woke up one morning with really bad cramps, and because it was day 29 on my cycle, I thought it was just a really bad period. I took some Motrin and they went away for a few hours. I started getting sleepy and eventually dizzy and uncomfortably bloated. I went into the hospital because the nurse got really pushy with me over the phone. I thought it was just pms and maybe the flu, and I was being ridiculous going to the hospital. Anyway, about 7 hours after the pain started, I went to the ER and they did a cat scan and told me that I was bleeding internally. I was really scared. The ER doc said that if I had waited another hour to come in that they would have brought me in in shock from blood loss. I had to have an exploratory operation, where the Dr found a tiny ruptured cyst next to an artery that just wouldn’t quit. I had lost half my blood volume, and now have a huge scar. I have never had an issue with cysts to my or my Dr’s knowledge. I am a 31 year old mother in great health. As much as research says that the IUD had nothing to do with it, I find it hard to believe. This device changed the pH of my system and there has to be some impact on other parts of the body that we just don’t understand yet. The lesson for me was just listen to your body.
Jodi K

Olympia, WA

#11 Aug 6, 2010
Angela - Wow thanks for sharing! I'm glad you are ok!!! I agree with you. It is def the IUD causing this. I have never had a problem with cysts in my whole life. I am 30 yrs old. Not until the IUD. Now that it is removed I have been fine. Why would I be suffering from them for only the almost 2 yrs I had the IUD starting right before the first period I had while on it? Yeah..its not right.
marcia

Glendale, AZ

#12 Aug 14, 2010
I've had ovarian cyst before i got the copper iud but went away with birth control pills. I got the iud like a year ago and the day i got it i fainted from the pain at the doctors office he said it was normal cause of no pain medication. The first month i got my period after the iud i started having similar pain as when i had cyst and a lot of spotting, longer and real heavy periods, my periods used to last 3 days now is more like a week and real heavy the first 4 days and im practically spotting the whole month, i have real bad cramps and real bad sharp pains in between periods, i went to the doctor like 6 months ago and had a vaginal ultrasound they said the iud was placed properly and that i had no sings of cyst she prescribed ibuprofen 600 but even with that the pain doesn't go away. I never though that it might be because of the iud now that ive read you guys stories i think im going to take it out.
Tatiana _OB-GYN nurse

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Oct 26, 2010
With all due respect ladies, there IS a reason doctors went to school for 11-12 + years. They KNOW what they're doing. As to the ovarian cysts, if you do your research, they're VERY common in women. Almost all of us will get cysts, but most of us will not feel them and they will vanish unnoticed. Also, the mind is powerful, and it is quite likely that since some of you swore it was the IUD that was causing the cysts, once you took it out your brain sent a message to the rest of your body that the pain should subside. But guess what? It is likely that you still have and will continue to have cysts for as long as you ovulate. It is nature, NOT the copper IUD that causes cysts. As I said, as long as you ovulate you will get them. Once you stop ovulating and you still get them, then you need to get them checked since they could be cancerous. Usually hormonal contraceptives cause more cysts than what is natural because they interfere with your ovulation cycle. However, this is not the case with the copper IUD, so stop demonizing this procedure. I am an OB/GYN nurse and it amazes me the way some patients are just SO sure they know what they're talking about and their doctors don't.
As with any procedure, the copper IUD is not for everybody, but in my 20 years of practice about 90% of my patients have kept their copper IUDs. Don't base your contraceptive decisions on the opinions of strangers on the net who mainly whine and complain. They're part of the 10% who did not like the copper IUD. Be smart, and base your choices on your own experience and after speaking to a PROFESSIONAL.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Tammy MT

Harker Heights, TX

#14 Dec 26, 2010
All i know is that since i got the iud ive been in pain off and on. Ive went to the Er on several different occasions. My husband was about to take me last night because i crippled over in pain. Doctors arnt always RIGHT. I work with them to. Ladies listen to your bodies. This is an foreign object in your body. It doesnt belong naturally.
Amy

Paramount, CA

#15 Jan 12, 2011
Doctors DON'T always know what they're talking about, especially when it comes to women's health. I appreciate all the nurses and doctor's hard work, but unfortunately the medical community has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to women's health and for the most part women's health is still not at the forefront.

I have NEVER had a problem with cysts or anything related to my menstrual cycle or vaginal and uterine health. 9 months after the insertion of the copper IUD I went to the ER (I thought I had appendicitis) After thousands of dollars on a CT scan and ultrasound I discovered I had a bleeding ovarian cyst (which the doctors said shouldn't be THAT painful) Um...okay...it was painful enough to get me to the ER, which I've never, in 35 years gone to) I got the IUD removed a couple of months later.

I haven't had a problem with cysts since.

I'm sorry. The doctors can tell us that copper IUDs don't cause cysts as much as they like until someone ACTUALLY does the research, publishes it, and it becomes an accepted truth. Until then, listen to your body, it is telling you EVERYTHING you need to know.
trisha

Marshall, MI

#16 Mar 1, 2011
Omg I have that problem as I speak I am soo tired of this pain I cry anymore ...I'm looking to get the iud removed but I have no insurance let me know if how you feel after you get your removed and maybe how the process went I'm a bit nervous about it
trisha

Marshall, MI

#17 Mar 1, 2011
Tatiana _OB-GYN nurse wrote:
With all due respect ladies, there IS a reason doctors went to school for 11-12 + years. They KNOW what they're doing. As to the ovarian cysts, if you do your research, they're VERY common in women. Almost all of us will get cysts, but most of us will not feel them and they will vanish unnoticed. Also, the mind is powerful, and it is quite likely that since some of you swore it was the IUD that was causing the cysts, once you took it out your brain sent a message to the rest of your body that the pain should subside. But guess what? It is likely that you still have and will continue to have cysts for as long as you ovulate. It is nature, NOT the copper IUD that causes cysts. As I said, as long as you ovulate you will get them. Once you stop ovulating and you still get them, then you need to get them checked since they could be cancerous. Usually hormonal contraceptives cause more cysts than what is natural because they interfere with your ovulation cycle. However, this is not the case with the copper IUD, so stop demonizing this procedure. I am an OB/GYN nurse and it amazes me the way some patients are just SO sure they know what they're talking about and their doctors don't.
As with any procedure, the copper IUD is not for everybody, but in my 20 years of practice about 90% of my patients have kept their copper IUDs. Don't base your contraceptive decisions on the opinions of strangers on the net who mainly whine and complain. They're part of the 10% who did not like the copper IUD. Be smart, and base your choices on your own experience and after speaking to a PROFESSIONAL.

Maybe you might know .... but I have had my iud for going on 8 years I have always cramped since I got it....BAD... but now it has gotten worse I know I have a ovarian cyst that goes away and comes back ... would it be the cyst or iud hurting me? Cause the pain is consant now without being close to my cycle.
April

Florence, AL

#18 Mar 8, 2011
My periods have always been regular. I got a copper IUD 4 months ago and started having irregular bleeding. For the past two monthes, I have had bleeding 24/7. The ultrasound showed cysts (I have never had them before).

My doctor thinks that with my history that the IUD has caused the cysts. I am on increased hormones (new birth control pills) for the next two monthes to try and stop the bleeding but will probably have the IUD removed.

I really wish I had know the chances before having the IUD put in --- I never would have done it.
My insurance did not pay for the IUD. Also, all the research I did on IUD did not indicate possible problems b/c I didn't know to search for "cysts" & "irregular bleeding."

This has made my life miserable.
maria

San Antonio, TX

#19 Apr 18, 2011
I am the type of person that trusts my doctor 100%-I still do. But i also listen to my body. Let me tell you -for me the copper IUD was a nightmare. I had two cervical infections-one misdagnosed as a UTI. Every period seem to hurt more, which they said to take advil the first two days to avoid a spike in progestron (great advice too) but i still felt something was just wrong. Finally, I had a strange right side pain (the urgent care thought might be appendicitis). But I ended up realizing I was spotting blood between periods and on the 2nd week of my cycle (ovulation) so i realized i need to see my OBGYN asap. He was excellent and realized i had probably ruptured a cyst. Cysts are normal, but i never experienced a ruptured one-wow it hurt! I would recommend to trust your instincts and if something doesnt feel right get it checked out. The copper IUD was not for me-it felt uncomfortable and like my body just didnt like it-i waited a year and a half and the day i took it out i felt a physical relief. My advice is to "listen" carefully to your female body-remember the body is your temple.
One book that was controversial in its time that comes to mind is "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. It was written by a female doctor that challenged many of the misconceptions about women's bodies doctors had and changed the view of many women's alginments. as women, we should always do this
Melanie

Plymouth, IN

#20 May 3, 2011
i got the iud about a year ago and im just now starting to have problems with it and im having sever abdominal pain, at first the doctor said it could be a ulcer or my gallbladder, so i went ahead and got my gallbladder removed. well i still have the pain and ive been to the er three times bc of this, im getting my iud out tomorrow hoping this solves my problem because i really dont know what else it could be, im in pain everyday, im always light headed and dizzy and i havnt been myself for three months, its very depressing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Fri Marg 1,453
When will I start bleeding? Fri Diiamondmomma 1
IUD removal and blood clots? (May '08) Fri Yovonne 199
What to expect after IUD removal? Jun 23 Diiamondmomma 1
Heavy bleeding and cramping after Mirena removal (Dec '12) Jun 23 Mara 245
no period after the patch! (Aug '06) Jun 22 ChaZza1 106
Copper IUD experiences (Apr '11) Jun 17 May ann 177
More from around the web