Jennifer

United States

#41 Jun 3, 2008
I am a nonsmoker, healthy 33 yr old mother of 2, with no risk factors for blood clotting. I took Yaz for only 6 weeks before I was rushed to the emergency room to discover I had blood clots in BOTH lungs. I spent 6 horrific days in ICU and a total of 9 days altogether hospitalized. I will be on blood thinners for the next 6-12 months. I despise Yaz and would gladly participate in a class action lawsuit.
Amy from Texas

United States

#42 Jun 5, 2008
new wrote:
dude, i have to admit that i am scared. even though i'm fine now, how am i to know if i will be one of the few to get a blood clot??:(
Just be VERY careful to get any kind of leg cramp checked out. I went to my PCP last July complaining of strange nighttime calf cramping. I have been an athlete for years and have never had problems with this. He told me it was nothing serious. I ended up with a PE in November (after having another 3-4 nighttime cramping incidents). I was lucky my ER Dr. diagnosed me correctly as PE's can often go unrecognized. I was thinking I was having some kind of abdominal pain. And, I never would have gone to the ER if it hadn't been 9pm the night before I was supposed to take a 4 hour plane trip. I was very lucky...
Sam

Richmond, VA

#43 Jun 5, 2008
i was on ortho tri cyclen lo for almost 3 years and had absolutely no problems. i decided to switch to yaz (a.k.a. the spawn of satan pill - this is what my boyfriend and family refered to me as) because one of my girlfriends said it had helped with her very heavy periods which i experienced every now and then. after being on yaz for 6 months now i am SO HAPPY to be starting my first pack of ortho tri cyclen lo again today. i became the complete opposite of myself while on yaz - i was depressed, angry at the world, almost broke up with my boyfriend of 2 years (over NOTHING), my hair literally dried up (i used to have very oily hair) and my skin as well! i also had more mood swings than a pregnant woman. i would cry at the drop of a hat and then start yelling at someone (most often my loving and very understanding boyfriend) the next second! i am very lucky that i never had a problem with blood clots - my thoughts are with those of you who did and good luck with your endevors. i guess all i have to say is GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!
Heather

Winter Park, FL

#44 Jun 10, 2008
I am 32 yrs old non-smoker, I work out on a regular basis and have always been in good health. My doctor decided that YAZ would be a good bc for me but she couldn't have been more wrong. It made me severly depressed, tired, it gave me massive migraines and mood swings and about 3-4 months into taking the pill I started having various other medical problems. I started having severe swelling in my legs and ankles, leg cramps, my blood pressure was staying around 156/98, my heart was racing and I was always feeling very dizzy. My doctors couldn't figure out what was causing all of my symptoms. I was sent for numerous tests and I had to miss a lot of work. I finally started doing my own research and I came across this website along with many others. Other women were describing the same symptoms I had so I decided to take myself off of the YAZ. I have been off the YAZ for about 6 months now and I feel a lot better but I still have some residual side effects now and then.
This pill SUCKS!!!
Chloe

Ludington, MI

#45 Jun 11, 2008
The 1st month i was on OTC lo i had like a 2 week long period starting at the middle of the pack. Then for like the last 5 or 6 days of the pack there was nothing. Now i'm on my 2nd month and everything seems normal thus far, and i'm hoping i'll have a normal period at the end of this pack! Anyone have the same problem?
Nina

United States

#46 Jun 11, 2008
I started Yaz in November 2007 and three months later I was rushed to ER as my left leg turned blue and I discovered I had a blood clot from my left hip to my left knee. They put three stents in my left leg and I am Coumadin for the next six to twelve months. They also put a venus cava filter in and it caught a clot. I called Bayer Healthcare and they have sent information to my OB/GYN to fill out. I am a healthy 46 year old non smoker in great shape with no family history. I want to see this birth control off the shelf immediately.
HAK

Albuquerque, NM

#47 Jun 13, 2008
Amy wrote:
Please, if anyone else has gotten a blod clot from Yaz post it!!! I want to get a lawsuit going, I realize blood clot is a side affect but not acceptable at this high of a percentage.My bills are pilling up from what insurance does not cover. I don't know what we would do with out it.It is causing tension in our relationship because the bills just keep coming.
I was just diagnosed with a clot in my leg. Started Yaz in January (after 4 years on other pills) and now I have a clot.

HAK

Since: Jun 08

Albuquerque, NM

#48 Jun 13, 2008
HAK wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just diagnosed with a clot in my leg. Started Yaz in January (after 4 years on other pills) and now I have a clot.
Oh and no, I wasn't on any other hormone, and I don't smoke. My email is hariamrit@hotmail.com
sweetpeas

Phoenix, AZ

#49 Jun 13, 2008
Cailene wrote:
I decided to try birth control to see if it would help with my acne. My obgyn suggested Orthotricyclen Lo. I took it for one month and stopped because my skin was worse than EVER! it was bad...i would literally cry when i looked in the mirror. Also, OTL made me very moody and I definitely had a HUGE decrease in sex drive. My dermotologist suggested Yaz and I started taking it about 3 weeks ago. My skin has already begun to clear. My chest is completely smooth, which it hadnt been in a long time. The moodiness went away and I got my sex drive back. I have not had headaches or dizziness. Yaz has been great for me so far, but everyone is different. Good luck!:-)
I am on ortho lo and it has cleared up my acne very well. It has also smoothed out some of my PMDD symptoms. I have no sex drive, gained 10lbs w/in the first 2mo. even though I was exersizing and my brests are swollen and sore. I want to get off it, but my ins. wouldn't cover the Yaz. I'll have to see.
Alex

Montville, NJ

#50 Jun 15, 2008
I was only on Yaz for a couple months and developed a pulmonary embolism (blood clot on my lung) and had to be hospitalized for a week. I want to get a class action lawsuit going and have been working at a personal injury law office for the past two years and know a great lawyer. If anyone else has suffered a blood clot and is also interested in filing or being part of a lawsuit, plesse email me at apopa@eden.rutgers.edu with your name and an email address I can reach you at. Class action lawsuits require many plaintiffs to be effective or taken seriously. Please help me and yourself.
Alex

Montville, NJ

#51 Jun 16, 2008
i switched from a different birth control pill to yaz and developed a pulmonary embolism, a blood clot in my lung. I have been doing some research on different websites and have found that a huge amount of women like myself have suffered blood clots from yaz. Some have suggested starting a class action law suit and I agree. I have worked at a law office during the school year for the past 2 years and know an excellent personal injury lawyer looking to take on a lawsuit like this. If you too have suffered a blood clot and would like to be a part of the lawsuit please email me at apopa@eden.rutgers.edu with your name and email address where i can reach you. Class action lawsuits require many plaintiffs so this will only be possible if many respond to this. Please help me and yourself.
deedee

San Rafael, CA

#52 Jun 16, 2008
I was considering taking Yaz starting tomorrow and want to thank you all for telling your stories. I completely changed my mind and now am stuck wondering what kind of Birth control is good to take than?
Rhonda in Phoenx AZ

Mesa, AZ

#53 Jun 23, 2008
I am a healthy, previously active, 47 year old non-smoker, with no blood clot history. I began taking YAZ and after 2 months I began to have pain in my left foot which began to travel up my leg. My left leg began to swell so severely that I was told to go immmediately to the ER. I was diagnosed with two blood clots in my left leg. My vascular valves are said to be permanantly damaged resulting in my ankle experiencing permanant swelling! Every time I hear the song for YAZ on the TV I sing loud & clear "I'm not gonna take it anymore!" and you shouldn't either! This med needs to be off the shelf for ever!
lara

United States

#54 Jun 29, 2008
I have been on bc since I was about 15 to regulate my periods..I took normal OTC and it worked I guess, around 17 I was so moody and out-of-body bitchy. I would get in fights and tell myself STOP but I couldn't. My doc changed me to lo, and it helped. About 2 years ago(age 22) I swapped to Yaz, because my sex drive is dead on the pills. It ends up Yaz is no different. There's times I had to go off for surgery for a couple months and I am finally horny, then it goes away when I am back on the pill.
Besides the lack of sex drive, I had no other problems with Yaz, no blood clots.. and I am a smoker. I would recommend yaz over OTC and I consider it equal with OTCL. None ever helped with a skin problem I have.
I stopped Yaz about 2 weeks ago because we are trying to have a baby soon, and the sex drive finally is back!!
lara

United States

#55 Jun 29, 2008
Woops and I did try Depo at one point, DO NOT RECOMMEND. Gained 30lbs in 1 month from it.
Laura

Santa Fe, TX

#56 Jul 3, 2008
I was on Yaz for 2 months and then got a DVT & PE. Stayed in the hospital for 6 days and then still on Coumadin 6 months later. Does anyone know if there is any litigation against the pharmacetical company? I am drowning in hospital and aftercare bills that Its killing me!!! Thanks, Laura
Kim

Brooklyn, NY

#57 Jul 6, 2008
Hi Guys- I think no oneshould take this pill(YAZ) it's dangerous. I took this pill for one full month and a few days. I had to stop when I realized I was angry with evryone for no reason. My husband thought I was going crazy, my son started staying as far as he could from me. I had nausea, cramps, my period never stopped,my lower legs throbbed all day, weekness of my muscles. I called my GYN who said it will go away with time. I also had no sexual feelings. Now that I've stopped taking the pill I have severe pain in both my lower legs. After reading your reviews I'm going to my MD this week. Some type of action needs to be taken. This pill is ruining people's lives.
getoffnow

Pittsburgh, PA

#58 Jul 6, 2008
To anyone considering birth control pills: Don't Do It! I am 33 and have been on various pills. These pills have stripped me of my sex drive completely...nearly destroying my marraige to my high school sweetheart. My doc just switched me to Yaz (I'm on day 4), but after reading these posts I am going to try (for the 3rd time in two decades to GET OFF THESE DEVIL DRUGS). I'm trying accupuncture to deal with the PMS and severe menstrual cramps. Wish me luck!
Amber

Bronx, NY

#59 Jul 8, 2008
Kelly wrote:
I was on orthotricyclen for over 10 years and pretty good with it. After being off it for one year decided to try Yaz. I've only been on it for 3 days, having bad headaches and dizziness. After reading all of your posts, I am stopping it today. This just is not ok to have this many clots happening to poeple. This is really , really scary. I also have rheumamtoid arthritis and take meds for that, I dont need to deal with another horrible thing possilby happening! I'm going back to orthotricyclen, but I did notice I was having some break outs with it, thats why i wanted to try Yaz...would rather have break outs then a possilbe clot!
I have to agree with you Kelly. I am currently taking Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo for about 3 months. I started complaining to my OB because I couldn't stand how ortho makes you bloated all the time. SO she told me to start on yaz after I finish this last pack, but after reading all these negative posts about blood clots, I'm going to stick with ortho. I also have sle lupus along with RA so like you said Kelly I don't need anymore other health problems. When I was diagnosed with lupus, my lungs and kidenys were affected, so I'm not even going to fill the prescription for yaz; I will just stick to Ortho. I rather have bloating than a blood clot
Patty

United States

#60 Jul 8, 2008
I've been taking Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo for the past year and a half and it made me crazy. I was irritable, depressed, and my sex drive is nothing. I called my doctor yesterday to try a new pack of pills and I wanted to try Yaz because a friend of mine recommended them. After reading all these posts now I'm not so sure I want to even take them. I'm 31, in good health and a non-smoker. I'm not sure what to do now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
calling all women with the MIRENA IUD (May '07) Dec 23 laa 1,679
Copper IUD and recurring pain (Sep '12) Dec 22 kdawg 113
Tri-Nessa (Feb '07) Dec 22 Tanna G 890
Heavy bleeding and cramping after Mirena removal (Dec '12) Dec 22 Calvin James 183
Copper IUD and ovarian cysts? (Mar '10) Dec 21 sas 95
Desogen (generic Apri) (Jan '07) Dec 18 Aniikay 292
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Dec 18 Clare 1,101
More from around the web