Yaz or Ortho tricyclen lo?

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Sara

Sugar Land, TX

#1 Aug 3, 2007
I've been taking a generic pill - Portia - for nearly seven months, and I've now decided to get a prescription for a more mainstream pill that might improve my skin as well as my cramping. My doctor gave me a prescription for Yaz because of the shortened period, but I've been reading a slew of negative things about it and was wondering if anyone had comments or experiences they wouldn't mind sharing. I'm also considering Ortho tricyclen lo, so comments about that are appreciated as well.
cindy

Oklahoma City, OK

#2 Aug 27, 2007
Yaz is the devil.
I have been on this pill for a month and half now. I have constant headaches, dizziness, crankiness and my hair is dry..It is not worth taking.
Cailene

Orlando, FL

#3 Sep 7, 2007
I decided to try birth control to see if it would help with my acne. My obgyn suggested Orthotricyclen Lo. I took it for one month and stopped because my skin was worse than EVER! it was bad...i would literally cry when i looked in the mirror. Also, OTL made me very moody and I definitely had a HUGE decrease in sex drive. My dermotologist suggested Yaz and I started taking it about 3 weeks ago. My skin has already begun to clear. My chest is completely smooth, which it hadnt been in a long time. The moodiness went away and I got my sex drive back. I have not had headaches or dizziness. Yaz has been great for me so far, but everyone is different. Good luck!:-)
Amy

Saint Peters, MO

#4 Sep 26, 2007
I started taking YAZ in Feb to shorten and regulate my period, in June I got a severblood clot in my left leg and had to have surgery and be hospitalized for three days. This happened on a 3 hour flight to California so we at first thought it may have been the flight. I have found out since then that two other women in my doctors office have gotten blood clot since starting Yaz after the first of the year. Three in one office is to many!
Nikki

Burlington, NC

#5 Sep 28, 2007
YAZ was horrible for me. It killed my sex drive and I ended up with gall bladder disease and inflammatory disease (which are side effects you never hear about). The good thing was my acne cleared up and I had almost no symptoms of PMDD (which it is usually prescribed for). My doctor told me a lot of people have called him to switch to something other than YAZ. I just switched to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, so we'll see...
Kay

Huntingtown, MD

#6 Oct 16, 2007
i liked Yaz. i took ortho tricyclin lo about a year before i started Yaz and i didnt like it...i got so depressed and i felt like a huge bloated balloon. the water retention was crazy for me...i went up 2 pants sizes and not to mention my boobs blew up like crazy too. so i took a year off from birthcontrol and then went back to the doctor and she prescribed Yaz. It wasnt until the 8th or 9th month that i started to slowly see the same side effects as the ortho tricyclin lo--feeling depressed, constant bloating, and irritability. but, its different for everyone....i personally cant take BC for too many months at a time. hope you figure out what is best for you!
Sarah

Pocatello, ID

#7 Feb 3, 2008
I took Yaz for about 6 months and really like it, but then I realized the amount I was paying totaled about $1.00 a pill, kinda pricey when you can go to public health and get a full month supply for $2.00. I've been taking ortho tricyclen now for about 2 months, and i hate it. i am bloated my wedding ring doesn't even fit anymore! my face is swollen my skin has gone off the deepend, i'm not sure which is better, paying a little more ...or saving some money but hating myself.
Jen

San Antonio, TX

#8 Feb 13, 2008
I took ortho tri lo and HATED it. I became a psycho path. Everything my boyfriend said or did made me freak out when I normally wouldn't. I was depressed. It was like I was outside of myself. In the middle of an argument, caused by my moodiness, I realized that it was probably the pill. I explained it as every little thing made me feel like my world was collapsing. I got off of that asap. Then I started on microgestin fe. But that has since killed my sex drive. Before all of this, I was on ortho evra (the bc patch) and I loved it, but after 3 years on it I switched because of all the hoopla about the lawsuit and stuff. Now I'm about to switch off microgestin and considering going back to the patch or trying yaz.
Shawna

Memphis, TN

#9 Feb 21, 2008
I became a perfect bitch on Yaz. It did clear up my skin though, and I had no problem with my periods - they lined up as expected. But I'm still making it up to my husband, and that was two years ago. I took it for 5 months and then said forget it. Never again.
YoYo

Decatur, GA

#10 Feb 25, 2008
OTL gave me headaches. Yaz (took it for 5 months) is expensive and did not help me with my acne or pms (did not improve pms at all). Just switched to Apri (first pill today). We will see.
Kaitlyn

Plaquemine, LA

#11 Feb 27, 2008
I don't understand why, but I'm feeling really sick and angry and tired at the world. I'm on Ortho Tri-cyclen and It's only been a few days, but I'm always tired and feeling miserable, Hopefully it calms down after the first few weeks, because I'm only on my first week. Personally, I love the pill, and I feel safe. I guess it's just new to my body, so it's reacting.
Amy

South Jordan, UT

#12 Feb 29, 2008
Took Yaz for six weeks than had a huge blood clot in my left leg. Same as Amy above. You have to know the risks before you choose!
Monica

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Mar 4, 2008
I took Ortho Tri Low for almost six months now. I have been very moody and breaking out like crazy since then. Honestly, i didn't realize it's the pill until my boyfriend mentioned to me. I am going to start Yaz as soon as i am getting period this month. We will see how it goes
Amy

Ballwin, MO

#14 Mar 19, 2008
Please, if anyone else has gotten a blod clot from Yaz post it!!! I want to get a lawsuit going, I realize blood clot is a side affect but not acceptable at this high of a percentage.My bills are pilling up from what insurance does not cover. I don't know what we would do with out it.It is causing tension in our relationship because the bills just keep coming.
Laura

Kalamazoo, MI

#15 Mar 31, 2008
I have been on countless birth control pills since I was 18 (I am now 23) and I still have yet to find one that works - as far as making me feel normal! I've pretty much tried a different pill every 9 months or so, and the current pill I am on, Ortho Tricyclin Lo, is definitely not my favorite. I feel like someone I've never known before...I am depressed, anxious, I even have this guilty feeling all of the time. I have heard a lot about Yaz and I know a lot of you who have written on this forum previously say you didn't like Yaz, but, as I'm sure you can relate to, I am pretty desperate at this point! I will try anything to feel like myself again. Can anyone relate?
Christine

United States

#16 Apr 10, 2008
My 19 year old daughter took 2 cycles of Yaz to control heavy menstrual flow...for that it worked well...but..BUT..before she could start the third cycle she developed a massive blood clot in the lower lobe of her right lung. She was hospitalized for 9 days, and developed a joint inflammatory syndrome. Her Er physician could not believe she survived the clot...thank Heaven she is a swimmer and a life guard...the extra respiratory capacity saved her life..Terrible drug...we are searching for proper physician and possible class action suit...
Christine

United States

#17 Apr 10, 2008
Amy wrote:
Please, if anyone else has gotten a blod clot from Yaz post it!!! I want to get a lawsuit going, I realize blood clot is a side affect but not acceptable at this high of a percentage.My bills are pilling up from what insurance does not cover. I don't know what we would do with out it.It is causing tension in our relationship because the bills just keep coming.
...Hi Amy...contact me at hnds2hl49@yahoo.com.....my 19 year old daughter also had large pulmonary embolus on YAZ...we can discuss the possibilities...you are not alone....
Christine

United States

#18 Apr 10, 2008
Amy wrote:
Took Yaz for six weeks than had a huge blood clot in my left leg. Same as Amy above. You have to know the risks before you choose!
As a nurse I can tell you than knowing the risks is one thing...marketing a product with unusually high risks is another...the company needs to have the level of safety of YAz reevaluated..and changes made.
Lisa

Corona, CA

#19 Apr 11, 2008
I started Yaz 3 weeks ago and haven't stopped bleeding yet from my period which should have been over 2 weeks ago. I see my doc on Mon to switch to something else. Other than that, the Yaz has been good
chelsa

Stockton, CA

#20 Apr 22, 2008
jesus christ
is this really what all wemon must put up with???
i feel so trapped now
ive got horrible pmdd
and im alos just depressed
i was thinking taking bc would help me out
but now im just scared shitless and thinking that wemon dont need that shit at all
especially since they have have risks
i dont wanna lose my hair
have a blood clot
i just wanted t get rid of my mood swigs but it doesnt look like that will happen anytime soon
fuck drugs
fuck drug companies they dont give a fuck about our bodies they are just in it for profit.
shit im 19 years old an practically homeless theres no way id be abel to pay a hospital bill especially without health insurance
guh
maybe we should all just boycott bc in general
and deal with our bodies liek our ancestors have i mean god made us liek this for a reason so there has to be some holistic or more natural remedy for our bodys

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Progestogen only pill Tue megj333 1
Ortho Tri Cyclen and Sexual Side Effects (Dec '06) Sun Insertusernamehere 102
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) Nov 23 clarke89 3,438
missed birth control pills Nov 22 xcallday91 1
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Nov 21 Reese 1,067
Syeda vs Yasmis (Aug '11) Nov 19 neinei 129
Copper IUD causing acne? (Dec '07) Nov 19 Justine from Paris 353
Birth Control Pill That Increases Sex Drive (May '07) Sep '14 Nessa83 238

Birth Control People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE