Jolivette and weight gain

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Kerri

Moreauville, LA

#1 May 20, 2008
I had my 2nd child in Aug. 2008. When I left the hospital I was about a size 14. I am a breastfeeding mother and I continued to loose with. By my 6 week exam I was down to a size 12 almost a 10. I was RXed Jolivette as my birth control method. It has been 9 months I am still breastfeeding and my diet really hasn't changed. Since I started takeing this birth control I have gained about 40lbs and gone up to a size 18 almost a 20. I am wondering if any other women have experaced this problem
Heather W

Mason, OH

#2 May 30, 2008
I actually found this post because I am experiencing a very similar situation. After 3 months on this pill I am up at least 20 pounds and a FULL size. Have you found any good resources?
Kerri wrote:
I had my 2nd child in Aug. 2008. When I left the hospital I was about a size 14. I am a breastfeeding mother and I continued to loose with. By my 6 week exam I was down to a size 12 almost a 10. I was RXed Jolivette as my birth control method. It has been 9 months I am still breastfeeding and my diet really hasn't changed. Since I started takeing this birth control I have gained about 40lbs and gone up to a size 18 almost a 20. I am wondering if any other women have experaced this problem
Maria

Spring Valley, NY

#3 Jun 6, 2008
I gave birth in Jan 2008 and have gained 40 lbs since March being on Jolivette. I keep active and even take diet pills and I am still gaining!!!
Amber

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jun 9, 2008
I had my son in late February and started taking Jolivette 7 weeks after. Within a month and a half I have gained 20 pounds! I am pretty much a size 20 now.
Eva

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Jun 19, 2008
Wow--This sounds familiar! I had no problem dropping weight after having my son in January. I wasn't even dieting/exercising, but the pounds kept coming off. Then, I started Jolivette (2 months ago), and noticed some weight gain. I then decided to eat healthier (no more ice cream, snacks, etc.) AND am taking daily strolls. However, despite these healthy changes, I've still managed to put on extra pounds...I'm not sure what to do now, b/c I am still breastfeeding, and this is supposed to be a safe choice of birth control for breastfeeding monthers...
amy

Wabash, IN

#6 Jul 9, 2008
Huh. My second daughter was born in August 2007. I was back down to my pre-pregnancy weight of about 180 in no time, and was very pleased. Breastfed, didn't get a period until like March or April. Went to the doctor for BC. Got Jolivette. All of a sudden, I weighed 197 with no changes in anything else. What the heck???
I stopped breastfeeding last month and just start Ortho-Tri-Cyclen this month and am hoping the weight drops right off.
Glad I'm not alone.
Tia Jefferson

Loxahatchee, FL

#7 Jul 27, 2008
amy wrote:
Huh. My second daughter was born in August 2007. I was back down to my pre-pregnancy weight of about 180 in no time, and was very pleased. Breastfed, didn't get a period until like March or April. Went to the doctor for BC. Got Jolivette. All of a sudden, I weighed 197 with no changes in anything else. What the heck???
I stopped breastfeeding last month and just start Ortho-Tri-Cyclen this month and am hoping the weight drops right off.
Glad I'm not alone.
GlAD I AM NOT ALONE EITHER! I had my daughter on 7/07/07. I was in great shape and was a jazzercise instructor. I only gained 38 pounds during my pregnancy. I had a c-section and could not exercise right away , however, am now doing all kinds of exercise and still no weight loss. My diet is very good. This is crazy. I am not taking this pill anymore!!!!!!
Tia Jefferson

Loxahatchee, FL

#8 Jul 27, 2008
GlAD I AM NOT ALONE EITHER! I had my daughter on 7/07/07. I was in great shape and was a jazzercise instructor. I only gained 38 pounds during my pregnancy. I had a c-section and could not exercise right away , however, am now doing all kinds of exercise and still no weight loss. My diet is very good. This is crazy. I am not taking this pill anymore!!!!!!
Tia Jefferson

Loxahatchee, FL

#9 Jul 27, 2008
GlAD I AM NOT ALONE EITHER! I had my daughter on 7/07/07. I was in great shape and was a jazzercise instructor. I only gained 38 pounds during my pregnancy. I had a c-section and could not exercise right away , however, am now doing all kinds of exercise and still no weight loss. My diet is very good. This is crazy. I am not taking this pill anymore!!!!!
Christy Finley

Lancaster, WI

#10 Aug 14, 2008
I too was loosing weight very rapidly after giving birth to our daughter on 05/03/08. Then I started the pill at 6 weeks at the same time I started working out at Curves three to four days a week and am gaining. I think I will try another birth control method.
Teea Ford

Amherst, OH

#11 Sep 24, 2008
I had my third child on 04/04/08. I breastfed for three months. I got on this pill after my six week check up and I love it. I droped my baby weight a.s.a.p and I gained like 45 ponds. The weight continued to come off after the pill, actualy i'm smaller then I was before I got pregnant. I am very pleased, my husband, not so much.
Bridgett

Chattanooga, TN

#12 Nov 13, 2008
I have gained weight as well. I have also noticed swelling in my fingers. And not to be gross but I have also has vaginal itching, tearing of vaginal skin during intercourse, and acne. Has any one else had this?
IOrtega

Concord, CA

#13 Nov 18, 2008
Maria wrote:
I gave birth in Jan 2008 and have gained 40 lbs since March being on Jolivette. I keep active and even take diet pills and I am still gaining!!!
I would assume that since you are taking Jolivette, you are breastfeeding. So my question is, Why are you taking diet pills while breastfeeding?
IOrtega

Concord, CA

#14 Nov 18, 2008
you shouldn't be taking diet pills while breastfeeding!!
Katie

Milwaukee, WI

#16 Nov 22, 2008
I have been on Jolivette since last December (I don't have any children, but a liver issue that keeps me from taking estrogen). I just had my annual and I am up 18 pounds from last December! I too have been breaking out more than ever!
Megan

Onalaska, WI

#17 Dec 1, 2008
I am on Jolivette because of blood clots and I lost 15 lbs.
julia

United States

#18 Dec 9, 2008
thank god i found this forum. i lost 20 lbs immediately after having my 2nd baby on september 8, 2008 - lost it by end of september. started taking jolivette in october and have gained 15 - 20 pounds since then.
Kerri wrote:
Naomi

Parkville, MD

#19 Dec 28, 2008
UGH! I am having the same problem ~ About 2 months after my son was born, I weighed less than I did before I got pregnant. My dr. put me on Jolivette soon after that and I have gained 10 lbs in the last 2 months =(( I wish there were another form of birth control for breastfeeding moms....
valeria

AOL

#20 Jan 1, 2009
I just started taking jolivette 2 months ago and I have noticed that I have gained weight like almost 5 lbs and I feel bloating. See I had my baby in april 2008, but I was put on ortho micronor orignally then I switched pharmacies and they gave me jolivette then after a month I started noticing the difference. Im glad Im not the only one I see other women suffer the same.
heather

Killeen, TX

#21 Jan 4, 2009
i am recent nursing student grad without any children so know my increase in weight gain is not realted to my body adjusting to child related hormones but assume i have gained 13 pounds after starting this medication. it is a side effect you know. good luck everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Copper IUD and recurring pain (Sep '12) 2 hr kdawg 113
Tri-Nessa (Feb '07) 3 hr Tanna G 890
Heavy bleeding and cramping after Mirena removal (Dec '12) 6 hr Calvin James 183
Copper IUD and ovarian cysts? (Mar '10) Sun sas 95
Desogen (generic Apri) (Jan '07) Dec 18 Aniikay 292
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) Dec 18 Clare 1,101
please think twice about getting a iud paragard... (Sep '11) Dec 17 Vic 19
More from around the web