Sex Drive on the Copper IUD

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

First Prev
of 42
Next Last
Nicole

Boulder, CO

#1 Nov 8, 2006
I have been on birth control pills for almost 10 years now. I have switched many times due to heavy periods and massive bloating..so much so I can't fit into my pants! I am on Alesse (light) birth control pills which is great.. periods 3-4 days, NO bloating but now I have NO sex drive. I am only on the pill to protect from getting pregnant. I went to get my yearly today and my gyno said maybe I should think about a copper IUD. I would like to know if people's sex drive has returned back to normal since they are not on bcps anymore.
angelmonie

Garner, NC

#2 Dec 24, 2006
I'm scheduled to get the paragard copper iud next week. Over the last six years I've tried BC pills (I never remember to take them), the ring (not enough hormones-I never stopped spotting) and now the patch. It's been working ok. Between each method I'd be off of meds for a while. It wasn't until recently that I realized everytime I'm on some BC I have no libido. As soon as I stop, it's back! I don't want to test out hormone BC for the next 6 years hoping that I find something that lets me stay frisky (I remember being quite frisky actually). So I made the decision to get off hormones all together. I don't see how the copper iud could interfere with libido since it doesn't alter hormones. When I pair the monthly cost and inconvience of even weekly patches WITH not even wanting to have sex---the choice was clear for me. I'd tell you to go for it but I am biased. Just don't get the mirena.
danni_girl

United States

#3 Feb 26, 2007
i have the mirena...and I HATE IT! in fact i have an appt. to get it removed. i have NO sex drive at all...and the few times that i do...i wind up with killer cramps and spotting to heavy bleeding for atleast 2 days after the "fun" so i am at the point to where it's not worth it...my poor hubby is dying..lol. plus i didn't know all the side effects of it...depression, severe mood swings, greasy skin and hair. i recommend that you do research and then more research.

good luck :]]
Miranda

Georgetown, TX

#4 Mar 21, 2007
how old r u girls
danni_girl

United States

#5 Mar 24, 2007
I'm going on 29
krolly

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Apr 4, 2007
hey, just got a copper iud 6 days ago...cramping really bad at first, but getting better. now, bloating...feel like i've got a tire around my waist! anyone else dealt w/this?
MICHELLE

Longwood, FL

#7 Apr 12, 2007
I HAVE A COPPER IUD AND IT SUCKS.I BLEED MUCH MUCH HEAVIER THAN I DID BEFORE.I SOAK A PAD IN ABOUT 2 HRS WHEN MY PERIOD COMES ON.I ALSO HAVE NO SEX DRIVE AND CRAMPS EVEN WHEN MY PERIOD IS NOT ON.I'M THINKING ABOUT TAKING MINE OUT AS WELL.
mandy

Canberra, Australia

#8 Apr 23, 2007
I had the copper iud put in 3 weeks ago. i have had constant bleeding ever since, with mood swings, bleeding after sex and it feels like everyday is the first day of my period. Even though there are no hormones in the copper iud i am considering having it taken out. Has anyone else had side effects like these
Erica

Cleveland, GA

#9 Apr 23, 2007
Has anyone liked the copper IUD? It seems that some of the side effects are the same as regular birth control. I became interested in it because it is hormone free. I haven't heard of anyone that liked it. So I wonder if it is worth a try.
Nicole

Boulder, CO

#10 Apr 30, 2007
I started this post before I got my copper IUD. I LOVE it! I got it fitted on Feb 2nd and since then have had regular periods that have been totally normal. My first period was pretty brutal though. I did bleed pretty heavy the first day and had some nasty cramping. Now I just started my third period and I feel great. No cramps and not heavy bleeding at all. During the month, I don't have spotting and I don't even know I have it.
I had such a bad time with bcps and am very happy with my decision. It's not for everyone and based on some stories, everyone reacts differently to it. I would say my experience is pretty ideal and I'm sure there are many more girls out there with the same experience. My advice is do your research but don't let all of the horrible stories scare you. Most people only post on blogs to complain and the happy people aren't researching it because they're happy with it. Just think about it.

Nicole

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Dee

United States

#11 May 4, 2007
I'm going in on Monday to receive the Mirena IUD, why do you think i should not receive it. I have a son that will be two in a couple of weeks and i don't want anymore at this time. I am in my mid 30's and i am enjoying my time with my son.
Delilah

Philadelphia, PA

#12 May 4, 2007
Just had my paraguard IUD replaced with the mirena IUD 2 days ago. I had the copper one for 2 years with periods that lasted 2 weeks long. So my doctor and I decided a change was in order. I had it replaced on day 3 of my period....the problem is that my period suddenly stopped all together! Should I be worried?
Christina

Glen Rose, TX

#13 May 7, 2007
I have had an IUD for 2 years now and I have never had any problems with it...but just last week after I had sex I have been having a real heavy period ever since...and about 2months after I got the IUD my period stopped....so now I am a little spooked. ANybody else ever had this problem
nay

Lynbrook, NY

#14 May 8, 2007
Erica wrote:
Has anyone liked the copper IUD? It seems that some of the side effects are the same as regular birth control. I became interested in it because it is hormone free. I haven't heard of anyone that liked it. So I wonder if it is worth a try.
I have been with the copper IUD since March 29 my period was heavier but i like it no other problems just a little discharge right after my period but that's it
Sherrie

Brooklyn, NY

#15 May 13, 2007
I'm sorry Delilah that I can't help you & hopefully you've gotten your answers by now ... I currently have a paragard & am scheduled to have it removed & replace it w/ the mirena. I love my paragard but also have really long periods that arent always painful but more of a pain w/ spotting & light bleeding for sooo long. Did you have a waiting period between taking the paragard out & replacing w/ the Mirena?? At this point is there a huge difference between the 2?? How about libido - I love my frisky side & deff don't wanna lose it!! Please help w/ your experience! Thank you!!
Delilah wrote:
Just had my paraguard IUD replaced with the mirena IUD 2 days ago. I had the copper one for 2 years with periods that lasted 2 weeks long. So my doctor and I decided a change was in order. I had it replaced on day 3 of my period....the problem is that my period suddenly stopped all together! Should I be worried?

Since: Apr 07

Loveland CO

#16 May 15, 2007
Dee wrote:
I'm going in on Monday to receive the Mirena IUD, why do you think i should not receive it. I have a son that will be two in a couple of weeks and i don't want anymore at this time. I am in my mid 30's and i am enjoying my time with my son.
Hey Dee: How has life with the Mirena been so far. I'm going on on thrusday to talk to my Doc about it. But wanted to talk to you and get your story. Anything info would help... Thanks Tami
spice

United States

#17 May 17, 2007
I have had the copper iud for about 1yr.This is my second time first was a hormonal iud but now i am having symptoms of pregnancy after having my period and a negative hpt. Anyone else ever experience this.
Ashley

Denton, TX

#18 May 18, 2007
I just got my copper IUD on last Tuesday and the pain has stopped, but I am still bleeding..not heavy..just alittle blood and discharge. My dr. said my periods would be longer and worse, but it is way worth is considering all of the sex drive issues I was having on birth control. The copper iud has no hormones, so it should not effect sex drive in any way and also the mirena does...so if anyone was wanting to know the difference is that the mirena has hornmones similar to birth control so the side effects are similar. But, the copper one only prevents pregnancy based on where the device is itself and the copper causes a mucus to form which actully kills the sperm. It does not seem like my sex drive is effected yet. I do not want anything really up there yet (still alittle sore and swollen), but we will see!!!

Since: Apr 07

Loveland CO

#19 May 18, 2007
I talked to my clinic and they only have a small amount of them right now so either i have to wait tell they goet more or go to a different doctor
Elizabeth

Golden, CO

#20 May 19, 2007
I've had the copper IUD for four months and am getting it removed in a week. As if the cramps aren't bad enough, Ive had a lot of odd health problems since I got the IUD, not to mention monthly yeast infections, which I had never had before I got the IUD. Ive lost some of my sex drive, mostly because the IUD leaves me feeling crappy most of the time, I have only 1 week out of the month where I'm cramp-free. DOnt get an IUD unless you've had kids!!!!- even then..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 42
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 7 hr Corinna 1,055
copper iud weight gain (Aug '07) Tue Marie 3,425
Syeda vs Yasmis (Aug '11) Tue Sonia 127
Microgestin FE 1.5/30 - Effects (Oct '11) Sep 28 tross 9
Microgestin FE 1/20 causing depression/low sex ... (Aug '07) Sep 28 tross 531
calling all women with the MIRENA IUD (May '07) Sep 28 lori 1,675
IUD removal and blood clots? (May '08) Sep 27 anonymous 184
Birth Control Pill That Increases Sex Drive (May '07) Sep 6 Nessa83 238

Birth Control People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE