Depo-Provera Shot...Questions

Posted in the Birth Control Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Alana

United States

#1 Feb 7, 2008
I've always been a bigger girl and when i hit the 200 mark i made some changes and dropped forty pounds. I went on the Depo shot in july of this year and since then i have gained 30 pounds...i stopped drinking pop, have a well-balanced breakfast, don't snack on high fat foods and exercise pretty regularly...has anyone else experienced this much of a weight gain from this shot? My doctor told me i'd gain ten, but i've gained three times more than that. Should i switch to the pill?
JeremyHillaryBoo b

Bergholz, OH

#2 Apr 8, 2008
They always estimate 10 lbs when talking about hormone changes- they don't tell you that your hormones can be tampered with (by birth control) beyond a healthy range and even affect thyroid function which could possibly make you gain weight even if you are doing everything right- low dose pills are probably the least invasive- they contain both hormones- estrogen and progesterone which need to be in sync for effective BC and health.
Some high dose pills have very little progesterone and more estrogen.
Depo has mostly progesterone and little estrogen.
The closer you get to normal, the better.
Rachel

Vancouver, WA

#3 Apr 15, 2008
Alana,
I know exactly what you mean. I have just been to visit my dr. after my unexplained 40 lb. weight gain. she tested me for everything under the sun and has concluded that it is the depo that has caused the weight gain. And not only that, it's also the depo that makes it extremely hard if not impossible to lose the weight. I eat right, and I work out 6 days a week including long hikes and indoor soccer and I can't even lose one pound! I am just now getting off the shot and I'm hoping that will help. I'm switching to the pill, because as Jeremy says it has a better balance of hormones and should not be causing the same problems.
brittney

United States

#4 Aug 22, 2008
I am on the depo now and have only been on it for three months. I have always been on the small side but since the depo I have gained 14 pounds and I am only 5 feet so it looks like alot more. I exercise regularly and have never had trouble losing weight but it will not come off! I also feel like my appetite has increased and find myself fighting cravings constantly! I was a little moody before going on the shot but now I feel ill all the time, I get mad at the smallest things and have practically no patience!! My sex drive is almost gone too. My husband is convinced its the shot that has " took" his wife and I'm starting to agree . Has anyone else had this problem? I go back for my next shot next week and I'm thinking about going off of it but i love not having to take a pill every night and not having periods (I started the shot bc I'm so anemic and my periods were making it worse) does anyone have any suggestions on whats good birth control after depo?? Thanks!!
Rachael Blood

United States

#5 Sep 2, 2008
Ya belive me you reather be fat then have a baby young I should know think about it if you take the depo you don't put so much weight now as much as you do when your prednet.
I'm 17 years old and I wish I took it before because I had a baby boy don't get me wrong I love him to death and his father but I wish I didn't have a baby yet at less till I was 18 years old for I can get a job & move out.
Take the shot in less you really really really want a baby.Don't get me wrong its not as bad as people say but if you get mad easy then don't have a baby without somebody to help you...
soukaina

San Francisco, CA

#6 Sep 8, 2008
i have been on the Depo for 6 months and its actually giving me longer lasting periods they last up to 2 weeks and a half its horrible...i dont know why....
stillosing

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Sep 12, 2008
I gained about 18 pounds after my first depo shot. The weight came on so fast, and no matter what I did during that period it never stopped. I decided to not continue the shot. Since then I was able to lose a good 13 pounds, but it has been over a year since the last shot! When I asked my doctor if it would cause weight gain he said, no not if I continue my regular habits. Then when i went back 3 months later he had the nerve to tell me I had put on quite a bit of weight. Don't take Depo!!! It also gave me longer periods.. about 10 days. And they were always irregular.

“Happy Fall”

Since: Jul 08

Oceana

#8 Sep 26, 2008
I used to get the depo shot and during the 1st year I took it I gained 60 lbs. My doctor concluded that it was in fact the shot causing the weight gain and to this day I haven't been able to get the weight off. My doctor said it can take up to 18 months for everything to get out of my system and since the weight gain is hormone related that it will be near impossible to lose until my hormones are balanced again. I regret ever getting the injections and I would NOT recommend them to anyone.
Shl66

Peabody, MA

#9 Oct 8, 2008
Well i went on the depo shot i have gotten no side affects except for constant headaches...i have not gotten a period yet is that normal...shoul i excpect to bleed?
Shl66

Peabody, MA

#10 Oct 8, 2008
and this was a month ago

Since: Oct 08

Glen Daniel

#11 Oct 9, 2008
I had major weight gain with the depo shot, I stopped getting it. I took it for about a year and I wish I wouldn't have taken it that long.
sammie

Oxnard, CA

#12 Oct 10, 2008
I tried this shot also..I gained alot of weight. Everytime I went to the dr for another shot he was surprised and recommended that I get off of it! He told me MANY women gain alot of weight on this shot..I was on it for about 1 year total and switched to ortho after and the weight came off-slowly! I noticed that my appetite while on this pill was crazy, I was never satisfied! Ortho was fine for me for about the past 12 years, it worked- no baby => I recently switched to another b.c because the pill started to make me sick...yup after 12 years!! I guess it was time for another change!
sandy

Tucker, GA

#13 Nov 4, 2008
Ive been on depo for almost two months and I have had very few side effects(moody and loss weight? so it pretty much depend on the woman. Everyone person is diffrent. So far so good
Jennifer

Detroit, MI

#14 Nov 9, 2008
Every time I read about someone's reaction to Depo it always amazes me, but then again everyone reacts to it differently.

I have been on Depo for two years now n I have NO side effects! I don't have a period, no headaches, no pain... nothing. I did gain weight but I only gained it because I wasn't an active person. This is my second year, no problems, and I'm actually losing weight. EVERYONE REACTS TO IT DIFFERENTLY.

The only bad thing about it (in my opinion) is how long it takes afterward to get your body back in sync n ready to have a baby. Even with that every woman is different. My cousin got off the shot and had a baby 2 months later... one of my friends got off and had her baby 6 months later, and another had hers one year later.

Look all contraceptives up and choose the one you think is right for you. However, make sure you talk about it THOROUGHLY with your doctor.
Leah

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Jan 18, 2009
I was about 19 I went on depo for the 1st time. I was probably on it for 3 years. During the 3 years, I gained 40-50 pounds, but because I was also in college, I was never sure if I was just gaining normal "grown up" weight, or if it was the depo. I also experienced a huge loss of libido. I started dating my boyfriend when I was 16, and I wasn't sure if it was the depo or me just becoming less attracted to him over all those years. I just didn't feel great about myself overall, but I LOVED the convenience of depo, & didn't consider going off until it became evident that my boyfriend and I didn't have sex anyway, & there really was no point in being on any birth control. I was almost sad to see it go, because from the first shot I received I NEVER got a period or any spotting again. It was wonderful in that way. Though, occasionally my hips would hurt, which I thought may have been from depo-related bone loss, but I also worked a job where I stood for 8 hours a day, so again, which was it from?
Fast forward to last year. I was 25 & had just started a different serious relationship with a man who I was VERY attracted to. We had sex a lot, I was always up for it and most times initiated it. We decided I would go back on birth control so we could stop using condoms. I decided to try depo again because I felt so safe on it last time. This time I knew that the things that had really put a damper on my life and relationship last time coincided with my depo use, & I was going to be more cautious this time. I started using it a little over 9mos ago for the second time. I've gained around 10-15 pounds & my sex drive decreased dramatically again. I think this is a side effect from the medication, but also from body image issues due to weight gain. I had lost ALL of the weight I had put on last time so this was a huge blow to start gaining again. Also, I have trouble becoming lubricated when aroused. I feel like that is a way of letting your partner know you're into it, and it bothers me that I can't show him in that way anymore, even when I'm very much in the mood. Again, I did feel very protected & safe from pregnancy, but I want to WANT to have sex, and also not let my weight balloon out of control again.
This week, I didn't get my shot as scheduled, and discussed other methods of birth control with my Doctor. She suggested the NuvaRing. I put it in today & hopefully things will transition smoothly.

All in all, I think depo is a good thing to try, but with a few warnings. First, your appetite is likely to increase, which obviously helps cause weight gain. Try to continue to eat like you did before and you might fare better. I love food, so if I was able to pack more in, I did. Not everyone is like that though. Also, with every birth control, you're messing with your hormones, so it's bound to effect your sex life in some way. Next, I wouldn't stay on it for more than 2 years. The research on depo related bone loss is becoming more and more advanced, and they are finding out that it does cause higher rates of bone loss and osteoporosis than they initially thought. My mom was on depo for over 5 years (probably closer to 10) and her doctor never took her off. She just found out she has osteoporosis. Just as a side note though, she is over 35 and a smoker, and with most methods of birth control, the side effect rate is very likely to increase with both of those things. Just be cautious.
Everyone has different bodies though, so this could be a great method for you. Don't be afraid to try new methods, because you can always stop taking them if you don't like them.

Since: Jan 09

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Feb 4, 2009
Leah wrote:
I was about 19 I went on depo for the 1st time. I was probably on it for 3 years. During the 3 years, I gained 40-50 pounds, but because I was also in college, I was never sure if I was just gaining normal "grown up" weight, or if it was the depo. I also experienced a huge loss of libido. I started dating my boyfriend when I was 16, and I wasn't sure if it was the depo or me just becoming less attracted to him over all those years. I just didn't feel great about myself overall, but I LOVED the convenience of depo, & didn't consider going off until it became evident that my boyfriend and I didn't have sex anyway, & there really was no point in being on any birth control. I was almost sad to see it go, because from the first shot I received I NEVER got a period or any spotting again. It was wonderful in that way. Though, occasionally my hips would hurt, which I thought may have been from depo-related bone loss, but I also worked a job where I stood for 8 hours a day, so again, which was it from?
Fast forward to last year. I was 25 & had just started a different serious relationship with a man who I was VERY attracted to. We had sex a lot, I was always up for it and most times initiated it. We decided I would go back on birth control so we could stop using condoms. I decided to try depo again because I felt so safe on it last time. This time I knew that the things that had really put a damper on my life and relationship last time coincided with my depo use, & I was going to be more cautious this time. I started using it a little over 9mos ago for the second time. I've gained around 10-15 pounds & my sex drive decreased dramatically again. I think this is a side effect from the medication, but also from body image issues due to weight gain. I had lost ALL of the weight I had put on last time so this was a huge blow to start gaining again. Also, I have trouble becoming lubricated when aroused. I feel like that is a way of letting your partner know you're into it, and it bothers me that I can't show him in that way anymore, even when I'm very much in the mood. Again, I did feel very protected & safe from pregnancy, but I want to WANT to have sex, and also not let my weight balloon out of control again.
This week, I didn't get my shot as scheduled, and discussed other methods of birth control with my Doctor. She suggested the NuvaRing. I put it in today & hopefully things will transition smoothly.
All in all, I think depo is a good thing to try, but with a few warnings. First, your appetite is likely to increase, which obviously helps cause weight gain. Try to continue to eat like you did before and you might fare better. I love food, so if I was able to pack more in, I did. Not everyone is like that though. Also, with every birth control, you're messing with your hormones, so it's bound to effect your sex life in some way. Next, I wouldn't stay on it for more than 2 years. The research on depo related bone loss is becoming more and more advanced, and they are finding out that it does cause higher rates of bone loss and osteoporosis than they initially thought. My mom was on depo for over 5 years (probably closer to 10) and her doctor never took her off. She just found out she has osteoporosis. Just as a side note though, she is over 35 and a smoker, and with most methods of birth control, the side effect rate is very likely to increase with both of those things. Just be cautious.
Everyone has different bodies though, so this could be a great method for you. Don't be afraid to try new methods, because you can always stop taking them if you don't like them.
Thanks leah for sharing your depo story!
It is very helpful because i'm considering getting on the depo. I simply have a few concerns about; as i was on the copper IUD for a year and i did not like it at all because of insomnias depression ect...

thank you
Megan

Whitmore Lake, MI

#17 Apr 28, 2009
This really isn't a comment it's more of a question. Please, if you have any information on this please let me know in email. [email protected]

Anyways, I'm 18 years old, I'm trying to concieve. I took my first shot on August 1st 2008, and i never took it after that. Two weeks ago was the first time i had my period since then.

has this shot made me infertal?
Am i ever going to be able to concieve.
if so.. when?

please let me know, any information is wanted.
hatedepo

Utica, MI

#18 May 16, 2009
I have been off my depo shot for 7 months now, and cant get the 30 something pounds i gained while on it for a year off. Its not even well distributed i gained it all in my mid section and legs. I look huge and regret ever using that form of BC
pregoafterdepo

Temple Hills, MD

#19 Aug 19, 2009
This comment is for megan who can't conceive. I had my first child at 18. had a deposhot when she was 2 days old. It worked fine, no weight gain, heavy bleeding though and then no period after 4 weeks...I was petrefied because i thought no period meant infertility permanently.I did not have a 2nd injection. My daughter is 6 months and i am 6 weeks pregnant. You will conceive when the time is right. Just trust God.
Meg

Australia

#20 Aug 25, 2009
I have been on depo for nearlly 9 months now, I am not going to have my next shot due to weight gain. I also do not need to be taking it as I am not in a relationship any more.

When I first started taking it I had terrible pimples for the first month, and I have never had pimples before, not even during puberty! I also had spotting constantly for the first month. Now i don't get my period at all which is great as I suffer from very painful periods, however i cannot loose weight though I eat healthy and exercise regularly.

I am wondering if any one has had side effects after short term use. I have read that women who have been on it for 5 or more years get sore, swollen breasts and migranes when coming off. I also wondering if it is easier to loose weight once it is out of your system?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birth Control Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TriNessa pill size? (Mar '09) 28 min Big girl 83
After effects of Mirena Removed (Feb '10) 5 hr Christy 1,260
Microgestin FE 1/20 causing depression/low sex ... (Aug '07) 7 hr Amber 537
Negative side effects of Minastrin FE (Feb '14) Tue panda 26
Mirena IUD...side effects..after removal.. (Aug '10) Tue Ceagal62 47
Copper IUD and recurring pain (Sep '12) Mon Yml 125
Heavy bleeding and cramping after Mirena removal (Dec '12) Mon kmpales 214
More from around the web