Bipolar medication compliance and ref...

Bipolar medication compliance and refuse Treatment side effects

Posted in the Bipolar Disorder Forum

Laguna Niguel, CA

#1 Dec 13, 2011
I am a zyprexa victim who was not given informed consent to treatment.

Psychiatry, turning gifted and spirited young people into life long mental patients.

Average rate of gray matter loss: evidence of neuroleptic drug-induced brain damage. The more drugs you've been given, the more brain tissue you lose. What exactly do these drugs do? They block basal ganglia activity. The prefrontal cortex doesn't get the input it needs and is being shut down by drugs. That reduces the psychotic symptoms. It also causes the prefrontal cortex to slowly atrophy.~ Dr. Nancy C. Andreasen, New York Times, Sept. 16, 2008 Both the older and the atypical neuroleptics shrink brain tissue during routine clinical exposure.~ Dr. Peter R. Breggin, Brain Disabling Treatments in Psychiatry (2008)

"To further compensate for the drug effect, the brain tries to reduce its output of serotonin. This mechanism is active for approximately ten days and then begins to fail, whereas downregulation continues indefinitely and may become permanent." ...

"Psychiatric drugs do not always overstimulate neurotransmitter systems. Some drugs inhibit or block nerve transmission in the brain. When this happens, the brain again tries to compensate by reacting in the opposite direction—this time by "upregulation" of the suppressed neurotransmitter system. The "antipsychotic" drugs—such as seroquel, Thorazine, Haldol, Prolixin, Risperdal, and Zyprexa—tend to suppress the dopamine system. The brain tries to overcome this effect by making the dopamine system hypersensitive. This upregulation can lead to severe, even permanent neurological disorders.

"In its attempt to overcome the effects of psychiatric drugs, the brain becomes distorted in its functioning. And as already emphasized, the brain cannot immediately recover its original functions once the drugs are stopped. In some cases, the brain may never recover."

Thats informative.

Laguna Niguel, CA

#2 Dec 13, 2011
Although patients, families and the public were not informed - some would argue they were deceived - clinical psychiatrists and researchers have long known about severe adverse drug reactions (ADR) and disabling changes in the central nervous system in a high percentage of patients taking standard neuroleptic drugs. Foremost among these is "tardive dyskinesia" (TD), an often irreversible, disfiguring disorder of the central nervous system resulting in a variety of involuntary movements, particularly of the tongue, lips, and jaw. muscle movements which affects 40% to 60% of patients taking neuroleptics. Recent research findings corroborate earlier reports (since 1970) linking TD to a deterioration of cognitive functions (see below).Other severe ADRs include: "extrapyramidal symptoms" (EPS), Parkinson-like, impaired motor coordination; sedation; extreme restlessness ("akathesia"); reduced cognitive function;as well as cardiovascular effects, orthostatic hypotension, abnormal liver changes, anticholinergic side effects, sexual dysfunction, and weight gain. Psychotic relapse has been linked to long-term neuroleptic treatment --referred to as, "supersensitivity psychosis." Additionally, there is a one percent risk of "neuroleptic malignant syndrome" (NMS), a potentially fatal side effect.

Laguna Niguel, CA

#3 Dec 15, 2011
This website shows how bipolar is sold.

The Latest Mania: Selling Bipolar Disorder

Psychiatry, turning gifted and spirited young people into life long mental patients !

Disease mongering is the practice of widening the diagnostic boundaries of illnesses, and promoting public awareness of such, in order to expand the markets for those who sell and deliver treatments, which may include pharmaceutical companies, physicians, and other professional or consumer organizations.

Laguna Niguel, CA

#4 Dec 15, 2011
"refuses to take bipolar medication" ?

1. It destroys creativity !

2. Its a bogus label most of the time !

— The number of American children and adolescents treated for bipolar disorder increased 40-fold from 1994 to 2003, researchers are due to report Tuesday in the most comprehensive study to look at the controversial diagnosis. And experts say the numbers have almost certainly risen further in the years since.The magnitude of the increase in an illness that until recently was thought to emerge only in adulthood, is surprising to many experts, and it is likely to intensify a debate that has shaken the field of child psychiatry in recent years.

Laguna Niguel, CA

#5 Dec 15, 2011
"bipolar medication side effects" good video on this abilify.
There is no more fundamental human right than the right to bodily integrity. A hallmark of most legal systems is that innocent people are protected from anything happening to their own body without their consent. According to an article in the DePaul Journal of Health Care Law: "True consent to what happens to one's self is the informed exercise of choice, and that entails an opportunity to evaluate knowledgeably the options available and the risks attendant upon each."

Aliso Viejo, CA

#6 Dec 20, 2011
I am going to share with you all a story about how I refused psychiatric meds and engaged in willful noncompliance and how I got away with it. I am going to tell you what meds I was on and how I went off them without anyone’s permission but my own. I am going to teach you by example how to wage successful noncompliance.

Great link !!
Poster boy posting

Aliso Viejo, CA

#7 Jan 6, 2012
by John Breeding, PhD and Amy PhiloWorking with others, we strive to alleviate distress and to support and enhance the personal growth, transformation, individuation, self-determination, and clear and expanded awareness of individuals. Necessity dictates that we also spend a lot of time challenging aspects of the mental health profession that do the opposite—creating more distress, suppressing growth and transformation, violating self-determination, and dulling and blinding awareness. We call it psychiatric oppression, the systematic, institutionalized mistreatment of those judged as “mentally ill.” This essay focuses especially on the ever expanding encroachment of psychiatric oppression to more and more of the population, and to individuals who are less and less in need of actual help. This encroachment takes the form of mass marketing for psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry. One key aspect of oppression theory is the claim to virtue. For psychiatric oppression that claim is the notion that mentally ill people need their treatment; its growing extension is the concept of prevention, that potentially mentally ill people need treatment as well!
Poster boy posting

Aliso Viejo, CA

#8 Jan 6, 2012
I am looking for input as to what you feel should be included in recommendations for establishing protocols surrounding women being treated with and babies exposed to psychotropic medications during pregnancy. These recommendations will be presented to both the Canadian Pediatric Association as well as the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada. We have found a good ally who is proposing that we address the National Conference of the Canadian Pediatric Association.

Aliso Viejo, CA

#9 Jan 7, 2012
The majority of psychiatrists, psychologists and other mental health professionals “go along to get along” and maintain a status quo that includes drug company corruption, pseudoscientific research and a “standard of care” that is routinely damaging and occasionally kills young children. If that sounds hyperbolic, then you probably have not heard of Rebecca Riley, and how the highest levels of psychiatry described her treatment as “appropriate and within responsible professional standards.” read the rest

Aliso Viejo, CA

#10 Feb 11, 2012
I like this link on the "baker act"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bipolar Disorder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
do all bipolar relationships end in disaster? (Sep '09) 17 hr ajv 4,293
calm down..they're not bipolar 23 hr hunterjuly 11
Antidepressants worsen depression Thu hunterjuly 3
Mass shootings over 20 years and paychotropes Thu Hunteriscrazy 2
Dangerous Latuda Thu Hunteriscrazy 2
Dangerous antidepressants and their side effects Wed hunterjuly 1
How to avoid becoming one of 11% of Americans u... Wed hunterjuly 1
More from around the web