my 9 year old daughter started wetting 3 weeks ago

Posted in the Bedwetting Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MomOfNewWetter

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jul 31, 2013
I wasn't going to diaper her until she told me how miserable she felt in wet sheets. She's been in diapers since yesterday. Had a wet diaper this morning but she was so excited they worked. I'll try pull ups after awhile, for now diapers. But an hour ago she pooped in her diaper while she was out playing. I didnt yell at her but I brought her old changing station and put it in her room. She's fully potty trained but I guess that's what diapers are for. Any advice?
ryan

Toledo, OH

#2 Jul 31, 2013
MomOfNewWetter wrote:
I wasn't going to diaper her until she told me how miserable she felt in wet sheets. She's been in diapers since yesterday. Had a wet diaper this morning but she was so excited they worked. I'll try pull ups after awhile, for now diapers. But an hour ago she pooped in her diaper while she was out playing. I didnt yell at her but I brought her old changing station and put it in her room. She's fully potty trained but I guess that's what diapers are for. Any advice?

All i can say is just be there for her dont get mad at her it is not her fault i am 23 going on 24 @ i am steel in diapers and have been for a log time

Since: Jul 10

Medford, OR

#3 Jul 31, 2013
My daughter is 11 and a steady wetter also. I never got on her about it and she sleeps well that way. For your girl, put a waterproof cover on her matter, then a pad, then flannel sheets. No more clammy feeling. Give her hug, and let her be herself. She can still use diapers if she likes, and let her know she I free to use them all she likes. I would like to hear back from you.
Steve

Leeds, UK

#4 Aug 5, 2013
beth3199 wrote:
My daughter is 11 and a steady wetter also. I never got on her about it and she sleeps well that way. For your girl, put a waterproof cover on her matter, then a pad, then flannel sheets. No more clammy feeling. Give her hug, and let her be herself. She can still use diapers if she likes, and let her know she I free to use them all she likes. I would like to hear back from you.
That is absolutly the right approach to bedwetting.

Since: Jul 10

Medford, OR

#5 Aug 5, 2013
Thanks Steve. I see no harm at all in bedwetting. It's natural and most everyone does, at some time. My girl is comfortable with it d doesn't like having to find bathroom when she needs one, so a diaper or similar is the answer for her. She wears one lot and when we go hopping, out for the evening, traveling or whatever. She is 11 and poops in it also without concern. I often wear a Depends for the same reasons. It's just a lot easier. I hope Mom of New Wetter will let her girl do as she likes in hers. She don't have to changeitall the time, just whenever she wants.
Dawn

London, UK

#6 Aug 5, 2013
Hi beth my son is 16 he wets his bed everynite he wears a pinned on terry nappy with wat i call plastic baby pants on he also has a rubber sheet on his bed iav told him he will be in nappys until i say so if he acts like a baby then its nappys for bed x

Since: Jun 12

Ossining, NY

#7 Aug 5, 2013
I have a few things to say here. The positive attitude is wonderful. Punishment, as already said is not needed, when someone wets the bed it's because they can't help it. However, I don't think that using the diaper for pooping or peeing just because it's convenient when there's a bathroom available is a good idea. Especially for pooping and females as the increased danger of infections. There's nothing wrong with wearing protection if you are sick or where you might get caught not being able to get to a bathroom in time, but I would think for kids, it might lead to a tendency to get to reliant on them. Especially when it comes to bedwetting. Part of the process of getting out of it is to make sure that every time you wake up during the night and are wet, that you go in and use the toilet as if you still needed to go. The hope is that this will help train the brain to wake you up, as some people do, before you go so that you can use the bathroom. Now for Momofnewwetter, did you ask why your daughter pooped in her diaper? Was it convenience because she was playing or not wanting to stop to get changed, or was it a true accident? The next thing, that I didn't hear anyone else say, is that if this just suddenly started happening, and it is true bedwetting, and not just because she doesn't want to find the bathroom, that she needs to be checked out medically to make sure there isn't a medical problem that is causing it. Now here's something to think about, has her behavior changed in any way? If so, consider that she may be the victim of bullying or even sexual abuse. I'm not at all saying that this is the case, but you need to be the judge as to whether you need to look into that further. So far as protection goes, unless she is having problems during the day, there should be no reason for her to have protection on. She should be changing herself, not be changed by you. It will do wonders for her self esteem. So far as what to wear, if she needs them for daytime, Pull ups, or Goodnites will work, but for nighttime she will probably need something more substantial. The Tranquility ATN pull ons are a good choice and go all the way down into XS size. Now you might want to take a look at something I wrote a while back and does a little to explain what's happening in bedwetting (not why) and some ideas on how to manage it and also daytime problems if needed. http://www.topix.com/forum/health/bedwetting/... Please remember that she is 9, not a baby. If you need to change her, it can be done on the bed. I'm thinking that after the happiness of having her bed dry when she wakes up wears off, things like you putting her in diapers, or using the changing table might start to bother her especially if she has friends over. I hope you don't feel that I'm being too harsh with you ,but just giving you some things to think about. You are absolutely doing the right thing in terms of not yelling at her, but I would suggest that you let her know that it's probably not a good idea for her to just wet or poop diapers by choice unless it's an emergency. The main reason for this is that she is being set up for some serious teasing from her peers, especially when school starts again.
kim

Homosassa, FL

#8 Aug 14, 2013
beth3199 wrote:
Thanks Steve. I see no harm at all in bedwetting. It's natural and most everyone does, at some time. My girl is comfortable with it d doesn't like having to find bathroom when she needs one, so a diaper or similar is the answer for her. She wears one lot and when we go hopping, out for the evening, traveling or whatever. She is 11 and poops in it also without concern. I often wear a Depends for the same reasons. It's just a lot easier. I hope Mom of New Wetter will let her girl do as she likes in hers. She don't have to changeitall the time, just whenever she wants.
you are doing the right thing with your girl
Dawn

London, UK

#9 Aug 15, 2013
Hi kim my son gets pinned into a terry nappy everynite and i make him wear plastic baby pants if he wets his nappy he must tell me he does get punished for acting like a big baby
Dawn

London, UK

#10 Aug 15, 2013
Hi kim nice to meet you my son is 16 and wets the bed so i make sure he is in a nappy and plastic baby pants by 8 oclock and i also make him wear a pvc bib
Rachel

Stowmarket, UK

#11 Aug 15, 2013
Hi dawn, I have a son, similar to your by the sound of it, do you have yahoo messenger, if so, I am rachelafc, if you would like to chat.
Dawn

London, UK

#12 Aug 15, 2013
Morn rachel nice to meet you not got yahoo but if u want my numb maybe we cud txt my son is next to me in his nappy n plastic pants he knows iam sending u txts iav told him that iam going to buy him a plastic mac today hun x
Dawn

London, UK

#13 Aug 15, 2013
Rachel does ur son wear a nappy and baby pants like my son if he does wat type of nappy does he wear and do you put it on him iav bought my son pink plastic pants which i make him wear if he is nawty hope u reply soon x
Dawn

London, UK

#14 Aug 15, 2013
Rachel you still about
Dawn

London, UK

#15 Aug 15, 2013
Rachel please reply bk to me my son is next to me just in his nappy n plastic baby pants
Dawn

UK

#16 Aug 15, 2013
Come on ladies let me know if u put ur sons in nappys n baby pants like me if they misbehave my son also wears a full length pink pvc bib wen i feed him at meal times

Since: Jun 12

Ossining, NY

#17 Aug 15, 2013
Dawn wrote:
Come on ladies let me know if u put ur sons in nappys n baby pants like me if they misbehave my son also wears a full length pink pvc bib wen i feed him at meal times
Are you for real? Are you serious about what you're doing to you son? I just find it hard to believe this. Bedwetting is not something someone can help and it shouldn't be punished, certainly not by humiliating them.
Dawn

London, UK

#18 Aug 16, 2013
Morn kim morn rachel just to let you know my son was very nawty yesterday now he will be kept in nappys for at least 6wks
claire

UK

#19 Oct 5, 2013
Shes obviously not fully potty trained so keep her in nappies then buy her a potty in a few weeks and start training her again as if she were a toddler .i did it with my daughter who's 12 and she soon got fed up of me changing her checking her and wiping her.i allso changed her nappy in front of her friend when she wet herself she was tottally humiliated and then started acting like a big girl .she uses the toilet all the time now but i nappy her at night although she stopped bedwetting to it was all for attention.
Lynn

London, UK

#20 Oct 9, 2013
I think the right approach is to not get upset by your child wetting or worse like soiling. If you get stressed so do they and that only makes things worse.My Daughter 8 years old has issues with going to the toilet that stemmed from constipation during potty training and also when we tried to do without the night time nappy she got stressed worrying about wetting the bed. She couldnt sleep properly and became very tired and unhappy. Because of her constipation problems she has always been allowed to have a nappy on when she was suffering as she seemed more comfortable doing it in a nappy than on the toilet. She would say to me 'Mum Ive got a tummy ache again' and I would take her up stairs and put her a nappy on which was always a terry and plastic pants as I think disposables are bad for the environment and expensive or into a pair of trainer pants and leave her to 'play' in her room and fill her nappy or trainer pants.
She was dry at night some nights from 4 years old but used to get so stressed if she wet the bed that it started causing her more problems in that she couldnt sleep worrying incase she wet so she was put back into nappies every night and has been since 5 years old. She is happy and content and since she already has a nappy on in the morning she is encouraged to have a morning poo in her nappy before she is cleaned up and gets dressed. This has to a large extent resolved the constipation problems.Because she really doesnt like sitting on the toilet she has 1/2 an hour after breakfast to do a poo in her nappy before being cleaned up after which she then has to use the toilet.

Hope this helps

Lyn

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bedwetting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What type and brand of nappies do you use? 23 min Andrew 48 6
Do you get punished for bedwetting? 2 hr Glenn 6
diaper anxiety 10 hr sydneyboy1989 1
who want nappy me then in Wales (Aug '14) Sat Sora 5
incontinent (Jun '12) Sat Stevewet 11
wearing diapers for comfort (Dec '12) Sat Stevewet 53
who is in a nappy right now? wet or dry? (Jan '12) Sat Stevewet 561
More from around the web