Step parent question
Melanie

Elk City, OK

#1 Jul 23, 2013
how old is too old to use diapers or pull-ups for bedwetting? My 7 year old stepdaughter is staying with us for the summer and is having lots of troble and her mom said she might. She goes to the doctor for something called kidney reflucks. It is a everynight thing and the bed is completely soaked in the morning. It aint as bad when she wets durin the day as long as she tells me but all night long is different. My kids are 1 and 3 and are both in diapers so it isn't quite what I usualy deal with.

“Essex and proud”

Since: Jan 12

Chelmsford

#2 Jul 23, 2013
Hi Melanie. Although I'm no dr and I don't exactly know what kidney reflukcks is, I know about this topic as I experience incontinence and bed wetting every night and day. I'm 17 and I have to wear drynites (goodnites) pull ups in the day and tena slip diapers at night. 7 isn't too old to wear diapers or pull ups if you still need them. As long as someone needs them it doesn't matter how old they are they can still wear them. Given that your stepdaughter is wetting both at night and day I personally would encourage her to wear protection in the form of pull ups in the day so she can use the bathroom if she needs to in the day and makes it there and it would be easier for her to change pull ups herself. depending on how much she wets at night pull ups or diapers at night. I would encourage her to wear them and not force her as I see that as unfair and potentially upsetting for her if she is forced to wear them. Does she currently use protection when she is with her mom? It really is necessary I think that if you take her into a public place if she tends to wet herself that she wears some type of protection as it would be really embarrassing for her to be seen wetting herself in public. Honestly I wouldn't say it was too different to what you deal with already with your 2 children as she needs them just as much as they do as she has a medical problem like me. If she is initially resistant to wearing them you could try rewarding her for wearing them. I feel it would be far easier if she were to wear them as its no wet sheets or clothes to deal with for you and no embarrassing accidents for her. Honestly it is far less embarrassing to be seen in protection or for someone to think they see you in protection than to be seen in wet pants
Hope this helps :)
Emily
X

Since: Jun 12

Ossining, NY

#3 Jul 23, 2013
Emily9865 wrote:
Hi Melanie. Although I'm no dr and I don't exactly know what kidney reflukcks is, I know about this topic as I experience incontinence and bed wetting every night and day. I'm 17 and I have to wear drynites (goodnites) pull ups in the day and tena slip diapers at night. 7 isn't too old to wear diapers or pull ups if you still need them. As long as someone needs them it doesn't matter how old they are they can still wear them. Given that your stepdaughter is wetting both at night and day I personally would encourage her to wear protection in the form of pull ups in the day so she can use the bathroom if she needs to in the day and makes it there and it would be easier for her to change pull ups herself. depending on how much she wets at night pull ups or diapers at night. I would encourage her to wear them and not force her as I see that as unfair and potentially upsetting for her if she is forced to wear them. Does she currently use protection when she is with her mom? It really is necessary I think that if you take her into a public place if she tends to wet herself that she wears some type of protection as it would be really embarrassing for her to be seen wetting herself in public. Honestly I wouldn't say it was too different to what you deal with already with your 2 children as she needs them just as much as they do as she has a medical problem like me. If she is initially resistant to wearing them you could try rewarding her for wearing them. I feel it would be far easier if she were to wear them as its no wet sheets or clothes to deal with for you and no embarrassing accidents for her. Honestly it is far less embarrassing to be seen in protection or for someone to think they see you in protection than to be seen in wet pants
Hope this helps :)
Emily
X
Hey Em, Nicely said!!! Hey that last line sounds really familiar. LOL

“Essex and proud”

Since: Jan 12

Chelmsford

#5 Jul 24, 2013
Hey slice thx and lol I kno i took it off you after reading your posts to me and others :). I gotta give u credit as u taught me a lot about this stuff :) I still remember when it was me asking for advice.:). I really miss chase and Charlotte though :/
Emily
X

“My pups: Nickel-Vucko & Cwissy”

Westerville

#6 Jul 24, 2013
I'm BAAAAAACK <3
XXXXX
Chase<3
XXXXX

Westerville

#7 Jul 24, 2013
Melanie wrote:
how old is too old to use diapers or pull-ups for bedwetting? My 7 year old stepdaughter is staying with us for the summer and is having lots of troble and her mom said she might. She goes to the doctor for something called kidney reflucks. It is a everynight thing and the bed is completely soaked in the morning. It aint as bad when she wets durin the day as long as she tells me but all night long is different. My kids are 1 and 3 and are both in diapers so it isn't quite what I usualy deal with.
Hi Melanie. I'm chase<3, a great friend of Emily, and what shes saying is right. get some protection on your stepdaughter, it'd be best. and if you have to, reward her for putting them on.
nice meeting you Melanie <3
XXXXX
Chase
XXXXX
Melanie

United States

#8 Jul 28, 2013
I think this was a bad idea. I convinced her to wear a pullup which she wet through three times like she wasn't wearing anything, so I went with a regular diaper because my kids never leak. At first she acted like she really didn't like it, but I tried to make a big deal about it being ok and treat her like my other two so she would feel ok with it. Now after just a couple of days she has stopped trying to use the bathroom at all unless she has to have a bm which thankfully she wont do in a diaper, but she wont even tell me when she is wet. She is going back to her moms house in two weeks and I know she isn't going to be ok with this. I'm not sure what to do.

Ossining, NY

#9 Jul 28, 2013
Melanie wrote:
I think this was a bad idea. I convinced her to wear a pullup which she wet through three times like she wasn't wearing anything, so I went with a regular diaper because my kids never leak. At first she acted like she really didn't like it, but I tried to make a big deal about it being ok and treat her like my other two so she would feel ok with it. Now after just a couple of days she has stopped trying to use the bathroom at all unless she has to have a bm which thankfully she wont do in a diaper, but she wont even tell me when she is wet. She is going back to her moms house in two weeks and I know she isn't going to be ok with this. I'm not sure what to do.
There are two things to consider here. One is that she may be enjoying this extra attention especially not being with her mother. Two, kids who tend to be dry at home tend to revert to younger behaviors when in strange surroundings. The first thing is that she is 7 not 1 or 4 so you don't want to treat her the same way as your own. While she is still very much a young child, you need to push here a little bit towards starting to be responsible and telling you when she's wet and getting changed when needed. I would also consider calling her mom and talking to her about it. Mostly just to get on the same page with her and perhaps give her the chance to have a "pep talk" with her daughter. This way she's at least going to have an idea of what's happening when she comes back. Also, could there something more going on with the kidney reflux? You want to support her, and encourage her, and even reward her when warranted, but don't baby her. In this situation, it's hard to give advice over the internet when you don't really know anything about the family dynamics and how the family has been dealing with it. Your best resource is to probably talk to her mother if that's possible. So far as the child goes, remind her that she is a "big girl" now, and that even if she can't help wetting, she can tell you when she has.

Ossining, NY

#10 Jul 28, 2013
That should be "1 or 3" sorry.
Melanie

United States

#11 Jul 31, 2013
You were right about revert to younger behaviors. The only part she is willing to help with is picking out the right character on her diaper. Im thinking of taking them away cold turky because this feels worser than wetting. I don't really want to talk any more to her mom about it because she always threatens to take her home early if it ain't going good.

I didn't get before that the peaple here really like to pee theirselfs and wear diapers. I don't really get it. Sorry I thought it was a different kind of board.

Ossining, NY

#12 Jul 31, 2013
Melanie wrote:
You were right about revert to younger behaviors. The only part she is willing to help with is picking out the right character on her diaper. Im thinking of taking them away cold turky because this feels worser than wetting. I don't really want to talk any more to her mom about it because she always threatens to take her home early if it ain't going good.
I didn't get before that the peaple here really like to pee theirselfs and wear diapers. I don't really get it. Sorry I thought it was a different kind of board.
Some of them do, and are overwhelming the forum. This is, or is supposed to be, a forum about bedwetting

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#13 Aug 21, 2013
Hi Melanie I know you have seen some odd people on here but not everyone is 1 of them. I'm not and papa slice is not and neither is Emily. They are nice people. I'm 15 and still bed wet and don't see y anyone would want to have this problem
Alice, xxx
sarah

Hanson, MA

#14 Sep 3, 2013
Alice15 wrote:
Hi Melanie I know you have seen some odd people on here but not everyone is 1 of them. I'm not and papa slice is not and neither is Emily. They are nice people. I'm 15 and still bed wet and don't see y anyone would want to have this problem
Alice, xxx
Hi I am 12 i bedwet since I was 9. I think people that want to are stupid and they dont know what its really like to

Westerville

#15 Oct 27, 2013
Alice, just have you know i am one of emilys good friends and i am nothing like those nutjobs out on the forum. it is nice meeting you.

melanie, i'm so sorry about what happened! i partake this my fault for telling you that diapers worked. but i hope it gets better!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bedwetting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I deliberately wet my pants and wet my bed, how... (May '16) 11 hr thugishdad 230
Woke up peeing 13 hr bedwetter2 27
Have you had your diaper changed in public? (Aug '14) Mon brandonbav83 133
What kind of diapers do you wear? Sun Stuft 27
Bedwetting & puberty (Mar '11) Sun brandonbav83 26
Questions Sun Diap5 3
Ever get a spanking before getting a diaper on (Jan '16) Sun brandonbav83 28
More from around the web