How can a 13yr old can hide BW at Scout Camp?

Posted in the Bedwetting Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sue

West Jordan, UT

#1 Jun 10, 2011
My son Alex had never worn diapers until just a couple months ago and now he really needs them every night. He thought this was a very temporary problem. His friends don't know about his new bedwetting problem. I have him signed up and paid up for a week long summer scout camp that he really needs to attend. Alex got his Scout physical form signed by the Dr. today. The thing that jumped out to Alex is the form is checked "yes" for being a bed wetter with the note that he wears diapers at night. Alex does not want to turn the physical form in now because others may see the note. He is even now saying he doesn't want to go to camp cause he's not sure how he can hide wearing a diaper for 5 nights. Apparently he teased a scout last summer that woke up one morning with wet boxers and he doesn't want to be on the oother end of teasing and just simply doesn't want anyone to know. What suggestions do you have?
diaperware

Saint Marys, PA

#2 Jun 11, 2011
he can wear hes diapers all the time .. so if they see the diaper he is wear he can tell them they are for a taste for new boxer .. P. S . i would tell them the truth that i have a wetting problem..?? i wear my diapers all the time ..
kylover

United States

#3 Jun 11, 2011
he could say he need to go change into his pjs and then he takes his suit case to the bathroom and puts on his nappy/diaper then on his pjs this is befor he goes to bed. then when he wakes up go say you need to go get dress so go to br and take off diaper and throw it away andc put on regular clothes and do that for 5 day Do you guys live in the usa
Camp

United States

#4 Jun 12, 2011
What kinda diaper dose he wear.
andrew

Ireland

#5 Jun 12, 2011
just gett im to wear baggy shorts or trouser work for my little brother
justin RN

Braintree, UK

#6 Jun 13, 2011
He wont be the first bedwetter at scout camp and he wont be the last.

I would say that your first port of call would be the scout group staff, have a sit down with them and your son and have them explain the routine with such cases.

this may put your son at ease if they know how to deal with this and have done so sucessfully in the past.

The worst thing about bedwetting apart from the emotional stigma is the avoidance to take part that most suffers feel is normal for bedwetters.

try to explain to your son that not taking part will be worse for him because he will be the only one that misses out. Also not going without a reasonable excuse may not fool his friends, when i was at school we had a number of trips where the same kids never went on it wasnt long before they were known as bedwetters and this was the reason they never went on trips (they may or may not have been but it seemed logical to everyone at the time).

also talk to the doctor about using Desmopressin spray for a few weeks before and then during the trip its not a cure but may temporarily supress the bedwetting.
andrew

Ireland

#7 Jun 14, 2011
People will see the note but they wont laugh if they do there not doing there job right
Sargeant mack

UK

#8 Jun 19, 2011
This seems like a delicate situation i know a boy hes 2 years younger im 14 hes going on a scouts camping trip personally i hate the uniform he wears cos my girlfriend finds it oldy attractive but thats a different matter back to the subject at hand his parents were drug addicts from when he was a baby till he was 7 hes incontenant and hes going on this trip so what i advised him im actually a babysitter i know its weird but i get 50 pounds for a late night who wouldnt love a job like that anyway i suggested ultra trim nappies english for diapers he said ok and hes off camping next week
Andrew

Ireland

#9 Jun 19, 2011
Sargeant mack wrote:
This seems like a delicate situation i know a boy hes 2 years younger im 14 hes going on a scouts camping trip personally i hate the uniform he wears cos my girlfriend finds it oldy attractive but thats a different matter back to the subject at hand his parents were drug addicts from when he was a baby till he was 7 hes incontenant and hes going on this trip so what i advised him im actually a babysitter i know its weird but i get 50 pounds for a late night who wouldnt love a job like that anyway i suggested ultra trim nappies english for diapers he said ok and hes off camping next week
OMG i was a counselor for a camp im 14 and there was a guy who was 15 years old there it was weard telling someone older what to do but it was actually easier cus im way taller than im im the talest at the camp including the other consler
Sue

Folsom, CA

#10 Jun 22, 2011
He's using Goodnites sometimes and Pampers Cruisers #7 other times. I don't think he will like the baggy shorts idea since he mostly wears skinny jeans and has always just worn boxers for night time wear. He says there is no way he will wear PJs to bed at camp. Maybe be can just wear his Goodnite under his boxers? It doesn't look like his bedwetting is going to stop before camp as he is now wet every morning.
Justin

UK

#11 Jun 23, 2011
Do u buy them for him? Does he tell u when he has wet himself? He doesn't poop does he?
Floater

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jun 25, 2011
Trust me- he is not the first or last boy scout to wet his bed. I was very active in scouting and at the same time had a chronic bedwetting problem in junior and high school. I became an Eagle Scout in my junior year. I was an every night bedwetter until about the age of 13 and by the end of high school still at least half the time. I went to boy scout camp for at last 6 years, and was a counselor for 2 more years. I wet my bed the entire time (and still have a problem for that matter). When I started going to camp at the age of 11, my mother discretely met with the camp staff and explained the problem. In my 11 year old cabin, there were 16 kids and at least 3 of us were every night bedwetters. We each discretely wore diapers and rubber pants under baggy gym shorts while in our sleeping bags. We were sent to camp with 3 pair of plastic pants and a supply of disposable diapers. We had a change of under wear in a plastic bag inside of our sleeping bags and in the morning we would take off our wet diapers and plastic pants and place them inside of the bag. When we went out in the morning, our counselors would remove the "dirty bag." and get the plastic pants laundered. In late evening, they would discretely replace with a "clean bag" that had a fresh diaper and plastic pants. When we crawled into our bags, we would change. Ironically, at the age of 11, other campers who did not have chronic issues, but were only occasional BW whose parents hand not contacted staff would occasionally wet their sleeping bags and would be "outed" by the need to air out the pee soaked bags during the day. We chronic BW were never busted.

As I got older, the routine did not change, although the number of BW in my age group diminished. By the time I was 16, I was not aware of any other kids in my cabin that had the curse other than me, but even a few 16 year olds had accidents during camp.

Once I became a counselor (of course I was assigned to the cabin that had MANY bedwetters), I was amazed to find out that the number of BW, particularly ages 11-13 was even higher than I imagined. This is a common problem that camps have dealt with forever.
oisin

Ireland

#13 Jun 27, 2011
Im 11 and im going to and art camp its far away from our house
and iwear nappies during the day and i dont know anybody there
i really wanna make freinds cus i dont have any at school plz help me.
Andrew

Ireland

#14 Jun 27, 2011
Im going to that place aswell im probably gonna be taller than everyone else and im gonna humiliate myself with my bad drawing im 14 btw
Sue

West Jordan, UT

#15 Jul 16, 2011
Justin - no, he doesn't poop in his diaper. And, yes I buy them for him.
Floater - thanks for the great suggestions.

It's still a couple weeks away from Alex's camp and he's worried about camp. They stay in tents with their own troop. Now that Alex is familiar with bedwetting, he is convinced the one scout that had a wet bag one morning is a bedwetter and maybe just leaked through his diaper that one time. He remembers how he often changed separately in the bathroom and kept baggy shorts on at night. He remembers the other scout also wore the thick padded Tiger underwear during the day. Alex didn't know about them at the time but does now since I just got him some since he sometimes has very small accidents in the day (although I am having a hard time getting him to wear them since he is only a "boxer" guy.
Kenny

Fremont, CA

#16 Jul 20, 2011
I wear tiger trainers all the time. It is better than having a wet spot on your pants.

The best thing you and Alex can do is to talk to your Scoutmaster. Let him know the problem. If his Scoutmaster is like mine, then he will look out for Alex and protect him from put-downs by other Scouts. I would suggest plastic pants over the goodnites as extra protection.

Does he have a really good friend he trusts in the troop? If so, maybe they can sleep in the same tent and Alex can let him know that he has accidents occasionally. Then he does not have to hide to change.

I have 4 bedwetters in my Troop and I always sleep with one of them on outings. It is a lot easier that way.
ian

London, UK

#17 Jul 23, 2011
so it was ok for him to tease anoher boy who wet himself but he dose not want to be teased your son is a bully who is going to be found out
Person

Arlington, TX

#18 Jul 25, 2011
Surely there is another bedwetter in his troop. Just have them sleep together. That way both can put on their diapers and change out of them secretly.
dean10

UK

#19 Jul 26, 2011
ian wrote:
so it was ok for him to tease anoher boy who wet himself but he dose not want to be teased your son is a bully who is going to be found out
I agree with you that it is a sort of pat back for what he has done to others but we are all quilty of some sort of bulling when we were young and he should not be blamed for things in the past.
he has learned his lesson now and, who knows, might become a person dedicated to helping others with problems in later life so forgive my friend not gudge.
I went to camp at 10 and there was a boy who wet his bed as i did and we were all put in th same tent, 4 of us boy with one leader/ helper and altho we became know as the babes tent nothing was said about all the sleeping bags hanging out to dry the next morning.
I agree that the tent smelt like a gents toilet on a hot summers day by the end of the week but we all had a great time at that camp and I went to several others over the next few years.
I still love camping and will never forget the wounderfull times we had a camp and would say to any one to go and have fun as they are well prepared for children and their little problems.
Have fun, all on here, as life must not be taken for granted but is a gift fom God and can be removed at any time.
By Dean.

Since: Jul 10

Lincoln City, OR

#20 Aug 3, 2011
His parent needs to talk to the boy's scoutmaster and let him know. Most likely there are other boys that also wet, and the scoutmaster can arrange for those boys to be together in a group with the knowledge of the other parents, so the boys will have nothing to hide. Lots of boys still wet anyway, and this is the best way to deal with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bedwetting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adult who like to wear nappies (Jan '12) 2 hr Andrew 48 25
Changing poo nappies 8 hr Poobottom 8
diaper changed (Jul '10) 9 hr Papa slice 57
Anybody who wears nappies in Dublin, Ireland (Apr '13) 16 hr gluebox 86 96
hi im charlotte (Jan '12) 17 hr Kacey B 2,995
embarressing stories please add (Jul '09) 23 hr maddie 71
cloth diapers and plastic pants under communion... (Dec '08) 23 hr Sammi 660

Bedwetting People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE