loose screws after spinal fusion

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#104 May 19, 2013
Pamela wrote:
HELP.... I had spinal fusion surgery from L5-S1 on Feb 26, 2013. I am just 2 1/2 months post up and just got up from watching some TV and my back is now cracking and popping, NO pain but scared to death. I can't go through that surgery again.... Anyone knows if this is something that comes with the territory????? The clicking and grinding (which you can hear when I walk) is scary and grandchildren are freaked out. Please help!!!!!! Pamela
You need to call your doctor IMMEDIATELY!!!! I had the exact same thing with my L4-S1 surgery and I ignored it. It was the beginning of failed hardware. If they had put me in a brace and immobilized me I may have not had to have additional surgeries. You need to lay down as much as possible until u talk to your doctor.
miss anna

Lady Lake, FL

#105 May 21, 2013
No you will not feel any better.my fiance had his fusion screws and hardware removed a few months agon feb 2013 and he feels worse now that he did before the back surgery-we wish he would of never had it done.
Jenzie wrote:
I had spinal fusion June 2010 T10 - L2 and also have a pinching sensation at the end of my fusion - physio say it is due to the fact that my spine is mobile below the fusion and has to compensate - doesn't hurt just uncomfortable. The op was the best thing I've ever done - no more painkillers and I look normal (i still don't recognise my new body shape in the mirror) it's done wonders for my confidence. I have a query loose screw as I can't sit back chairs which end at a certain point in the middle of the fusion and it is hyper-sensitive in one place. I put it all in perspective and say a little pain and being awkward i.e not being able to turn to look behind you, is a small price to pay to not have to take opiate painkillers and still be in constant pain...it's all positive my end!
Sabina

Trabuco Canyon, CA

#106 May 22, 2013
LITERALLY THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!!!!! I have unbearableeeeee back pain, I feel like I am being stabbed in between my shoulder blades CONSTANTLY (that's where i was fused) and I am receiving absolutely NO help for it! My xrays show nothing wrong, so my surgeon was of absolute NO help to me, and specifically said "well can't give you anymore meds. Try losing weight." I'll admit I was a little overweight when I spoke to him post-op, as well as have been for years prior to the surgery, but I've lost 30 pounds since I got my surgery a year and a half ago and my BMI is 24 so I'm not extremely unhealthy or anything) and still have the same issue, if not worse. I will literally cry if I focus on the pain. It's so annoying because whenever I try to explain to anyone--my parents or my doctor (who I haven't seen in about 6 months)--I get brushed off. Like NO ONE BELIEVES ME! Or thinks I'm making it up or something! It's like I'm nottt I WISH I didn't have this!
I did, however, receive some emergency-norco which helped with the pain from Urgent Care about a couple months ago, but now that that's done, what am I to do? Wallow in pain? Keep in mind I'm a teenager, I should be chillin right now, not feel like an old man with my back how it is!
upset person wrote:
I had a spinal fusion in 2006 in L-5si joint and L-4 and never felt relief ater the surgery, they sent me to a pain clinic and put me on meds, over the years i had to be increased with the meds, but i went back to the doctor numerous times and said" something is wrong beause i have to keep increasing the pain meds and my back is numb and my legs hurt so bad that it feels like the bone is coming thru the skin and they go numb. Guess what their excuse was "lose weight" and i am about 40 # over my BMI or the other excuse was i only wanted to seek drugs. I had a CT myelogram and it showed the screws were never put in right during the fusion and i have T-9,10 disc inverting into the spinal canal..so i have suffered terribly for 6 years from listening to the doctors bogus excuses, wonder if the staue of limitations have run out? I would like him to suffer like i have done. so now i have to have another fusion, but not from the so-called doctor i had!!(he left the practice..wonder why?????
Stormy

Ottawa, KS

#107 Jun 24, 2013
Hi everyone. I have had 9 surgeries in 8 yrs. I am fused from cervical to my tale bone. I know longer can turn my head because of fusion. I have had screws and hardware that was loose. Which caused curvature of my spine. Supposedly the surgeon fixed it but not very well. And this surgeon done all surgeries. Now I found out that the same hardware is fractured. wtf I have Lupus which causes so many problems. I have degenerative bone disease. I hate it. Belief or not I am working to keep my mind off pain. Nothing seems to help the pain. I wished I had never had the surgeries. Especially on my neck. Can't open my mouth very wide and I can't look up or down or side ways. Surgery is a night mare. Because head does't move, it is next impossible to put an air tube down my throat. I guess what I am trying to say is make your choices wisely. I also had a nerve stimulator put my back. I would rather have the pain. You have to have a battery placed under your skin. DON'T DO IT. Unless you have cancer or the pain is making impossible move, then you should do something for quality of life. If you have any questions, I hope I helped
Bonnie wrote:
I had a multi-level anterior and posterior spinal fusion from T10 thru S1. I had walking and balance issues before the surgery and my job as a Respiratory Therapist was in jeopardy. I was told I would be off work for a year, however after adopting a Doberman Pinscher when I was four months post op. I returned
to full time work at 7 months. However, three months later I suffered a heart attack from a 100% blocked
LAD. After recovering from stent placement I returned to work full time for several months before suffering severe back pain and it was discovered I had two fractures within the fusion. I drew the line and filed for disability retirement and my health overall has improved since.
However, last week I saw the Orthapedic Surgeon and was told that the top cross bar needs to be removed as there is a screw jabbing me from the inside out. Has anyone else had this problem? I really do not want to go back to surgery as I have worked very hard to get to where I am. Please advise.
Debbie Geurts

Santa Barbara, CA

#108 Jul 1, 2013
Mpg wrote:
<quoted text>
I had 4 level fission s1-l3 July 10. Now 1.5 yrs later (under dr care & healing fir 2yrs) X-ray show 2 loose screws . I find they need to be removed if shots do not work (shots are soppose to stimulate bone growth ?) pain Lower Back wher loose screws are.
I have 2 loose screws they call Halo's the doctors staff said bone should build on and fuse to these screws I'm having X-rays in a month to see if its any better. I fainted out of the blue and landed flat on my back causing the. Never fainted before but now after 2 months I'm really tired and getting low grade temperatures. I will post the end of July to tell you what they find. I hope it's good news
Lynn

Tuscaloosa, AL

#109 Jul 4, 2013
Hi, I had a spinal fusion in 2004. I had severe scoliosis and a compressionfx @ L1 and L3. the surgery last 16 hr and I spent a night in ICU. However, after a few months recovery, I felt wonderful. No pain at all and I am a nurse/nurse practioner. So I was on my feet for several hours a day. Still no pain until last year. I was nvolved in a MVA and my car was airborne 100ft and then hit a grove of trees. I was not ejected and suffered no major injury. Bu over the last few months the pain has become severe in the area over the bone graft and in my thoracic spine. My initial fusion was from T7thru L5. I recently had a thoracic/lumbar myelogram which shows some loose screws. I am waiting to see my neurosurgeon again. I am terrified to have to go thru this surgery again. What will they have to do? I have read of so many people saying they had to remove the hardware completely and start over. I am hoping he can just go in and either remove the screws or replace them without having to remove everything. Any thoughts or advice??
jess

Marietta, GA

#110 Jul 14, 2013
I had l5s1 fusion do two metal rods and 4 screws I went back to the back surgeon several times dating I was in pain and something was wrong... they said nothing wrong bone graft was healing normally....... that read in nov when had surgery I complained In feb and March... well I just had my gall bladder surgery e in July and they took ct and said that my hardware one of the screws isn't in the right spot...... I've suffered this hole time I'm pain and more I'll have to under go another surgery
To fix this problem.... of my surgeon would have listened to his patient this would not have happened.... this is a case I WILL BE GETTING A LAWYER TO COUNSEL ME IN WHAT ACTIONS I NEED TO NOW!....I have pain constantly in left hip down left leg and tingling In feet and I'm only 27 years old and stuck I'm pain...i also have a 2.5. Year old and I don't want to be stuck in pain if I don't have to be... if he would have just listened to me I know my body best!!!!!!!!! And now sad to say but I'm going to fight and fight hard on this case of patient neglect mall practice
upset person wrote:
I had a spinal fusion in 2006 in L-5si joint and L-4 and never felt relief ater the surgery, they sent me to a pain clinic and put me on meds, over the years i had to be increased with the meds, but i went back to the doctor numerous times and said" something is wrong beause i have to keep increasing the pain meds and my back is numb and my legs hurt so bad that it feels like the bone is coming thru the skin and they go numb. Guess what their excuse was "lose weight" and i am about 40 # over my BMI or the other excuse was i only wanted to seek drugs. I had a CT myelogram and it showed the screws were never put in right during the fusion and i have T-9,10 disc inverting into the spinal canal..so i have suffered terribly for 6 years from listening to the doctors bogus excuses, wonder if the staue of limitations have run out? I would like him to suffer like i have done. so now i have to have another fusion, but not from the so-called doctor i had!!(he left the practice..wonder why?????
HELP

Cleveland, OH

#111 Jul 15, 2013
? hardware is loose om a previous surgery.Do I NEED surgery again?
Liz-OK

Oklahoma City, OK

#112 Jul 15, 2013
HELP wrote:
? hardware is loose om a previous surgery.Do I NEED surgery again?
Only person I would suggest for a consult. Lawrence Lenke at Barnes Jewish in St. Louis. We had the surgery, it did not turn out well. Not that that always happens. I just know he is world renown. We are headed that way at he end of the month. Many surgeries later.

I'm sorry everyone here is hurting and has lost so much. I am not the recipient of said surgeries, just a bystander who can do nothing.
Kris Central Illinois

Pana, IL

#113 Jul 16, 2013
Have any of you considered suing for medical mal-practice? I think we should. I'm still on pain pills, and unable to do things I could do before surgery, and that was 9 months ago! I'm seriously trying to do this. Let's work together. use email if you're serious: [email protected] use "loose screw" re in re: section. I ddon't answer unknown writers.
Patrick

Cottonport, LA

#114 Jul 31, 2013
On Nov28,2012 I had back surgery,I had to have a L4 and L5 fusion where they put 2 rods and 6 screws.I had spinal stenosis with pain down both legs and cramps.I also had pinched nerves and was told excessive scar tissue,It is 8 months now and I feel like all my pain is coming back especially on the left side with swelling in my back and pain in my left sciatic nerve.I am going to have another CT myleogram next week and i'm so afraid of what is going on.I lost so much blood on the first surgery and my blood pressure bottom out.Anyone has any clues to something like this? Thanks
peter

Toulouse, France

#115 Aug 12, 2013
elizabeth wrote:
Hi, I had a situation like yours in 2008 I had a double fusion as time went on my back got worse stabbing,burning ,can barely walk pain. then finally 15 months later with the forcing of the chropractor the surgeon did imaging work to find I had 2 broken screws and no bone where he supposable put it wasn't there. so I find out that he knew nothing about curvatures of the spine so I consulted with a orthopedic that studied my x-rays mri and cat scan he had to do the whole operation over remove the broken screws (which I have in a bag,along with all the other hardware) and do a 10 level fusion with new and additional hardware. They can't leave loose or broken hardware in you. Six weeks is a long tome to wait for a cat scan though.
Good luck!
This was a long time ago - and just shows up on a search - how are you now???
peter

Toulouse, France

#116 Aug 12, 2013
hi Elisabeth
this is a response to an old post.. I wonder how you are doing now...? I just had a fusion lumbar and after 4 months I have tons of pain and clicking in my back.. hmmmm
Mary

Elizabethtown, NC

#117 Aug 21, 2013
cdewitt wrote:
Going in soon for my 4th spinal fusion, they keep telling me my bone won't grow. The pain is so bad in both legs and buttocks. I refuse to live on pain medicine!! I will be in a body brace for a year and they are putting in a cage too this time! I hope you all get some answers soon! Did anyone file for temporary disability? Just wondering. We will definitely need some help this time around! 5yrs of this is wearing on our finance!
Yes, I had L4/5 spinal fusion back in 2010, and 2008 a liver resection. I am now o SS disability due to chronic pain after these surgeries. You can get help and check with your employer to see whether you have short or long term disability, I lived off longterm disability until I was awarded my Social Security.
Tracy

Victorville, CA

#118 Aug 30, 2013
Jennifer wrote:
I had a 5 leval fusion April 2010, I have not felt normal since - I am now experiencing a pinching sensation in the lower back. Has anyone else experienced this - I go see the surgeon tomorrow - I am terrified! It is bad enough I have not gotten the feeling back in my legs now this...
Jennifer, what did you find out about the lower back pain?? My son had spinal fusion surgery 2 years ago, and is describing the exact same thing as you now. He has lower back pain and it feels like he is being pinched! He hasn't slept in weeks because of it...
Kris Heim

Mattoon, IL

#119 Aug 31, 2013
Karen--UK wrote:
My spinal fusion was 1 year ago July 09 on a recent x-ray i have been told of possible loose scres to be cofirmed by CT scan approx 6 weeks wait !! i have to put physio etc onhold this is very frustrating all my hard work to start over again! What will they actually do ? i have burning hot knife stabbing pains and terrible leg cramps at night but dont know if they are conected can anyone help ??
Yes they could be connected. Hoq soon after your surgery did you get such pain? Me too, possible "loose screws. I'm almost to a year now. I am a smoker; no one, esp. surgery, told me that was very bad for "fusion" -- bone growth. Also, I have Osteoporosis? Do you have either problem? I surely understand your frustration; I can now do less than I did before surgery (my neck) and I am still, reluctantly, on pain pills --- just to be on my feet, say 6-8 hours No I do not know of "burning
knife
fe pain" --- just intense psin in my neck pain since surgery INABILITY to do WHAT I USED TO DO. email: [email protected] -- PLEASE USE THAT TO TALK. gET a second opinion; go back to your surgeon; me? suing surgeon; lack of proper informed consent, poor follow up care, nearly total lack of pre-surgery knowledge (on her part) of my physical health -- like osteoporosis, smoking -- so much more, as indicators that I should never have had this (permanent ) SURGERY.
kRIS Heim, Central IL, surgeon Margaret McGreggor. Spingfield Clinic.
Lindy

Adelaide, Australia

#120 Sep 7, 2013
I had a T8 - S1 fusion in 2010. I also had the cages inserted.
Before the surgery the amount of sciatica I had made it almost impossible to walk. It was terrible.
Nowadays I still get some pain but my quality of life is 75% better and I'm so happy that I proceeded with the surgery.
It seems as though the success of spinal surgery varies a great deal.
Lindy

Adelaide, Australia

#121 Sep 7, 2013
Lindy wrote:
I had a T8 - S1 fusion in 2010. I also had the cages inserted.
Before the surgery the amount of sciatica I had made it almost impossible to walk. It was terrible.
Nowadays I still get some pain but my quality of life is 75% better and I'm so happy that I proceeded with the surgery.
It seems as though the success of spinal surgery varies a great deal.
Re the topic of health questioning prior to surgery. My surgeon was very upfront that the surgery had to be performed BEFORE I went through Menopause. That was a concern as I was already perimenopausal so I was worried that the timing might be wrong for surgery but I'm happy to report that all was good.
Of the eight levels that I had fused there are a couple of loose screws but at this stage the bone that is surrounding the titanium is supporting it very well.
Heidi

Ripon, WI

#122 Sep 16, 2013
I had a Laminectomy & Fusion on L5 S1 Dec 2000, May 2013 I had Back Fusion on L4 & had L5 S1 re-done w/o cages. My last X-ray showed broken hardware which I'm having surgery to fix it in a few days. Over the last few weeks my pain has worsened & pain down my legs has returned. Could this be from loose screws? Or another blown disc? I am worse now than I was a month out of surgery. I'm having a MRI & CT scan in the morning. Could it be from not having the cages in? I'm so frustrated & tired of being in pain. Any help would appreciated.
Mike

Palm Bay, FL

#123 Sep 17, 2013
Heidi wrote:
I had a Laminectomy & Fusion on L5 S1 Dec 2000, May 2013 I had Back Fusion on L4 & had L5 S1 re-done w/o cages. My last X-ray showed broken hardware which I'm having surgery to fix it in a few days. Over the last few weeks my pain has worsened & pain down my legs has returned. Could this be from loose screws? Or another blown disc? I am worse now than I was a month out of surgery. I'm having a MRI & CT scan in the morning. Could it be from not having the cages in? I'm so frustrated & tired of being in pain. Any help would appreciated.
Heidi,I also have had to have corrective surgery for loose hardware. I did research for several months and have even consulted with several attorneys. You probably signed a consent form with your doctor that stated that was one of the side affects and believe me there are thousands of people out there that have the same problem. This hardware is not even approved yet by the FDA. When you have your next surgery use must do several things that are critical. Always wear your brace when not lying down. Prepare to spend 6 weeks of doing nothing but walking. Do not sit for long periods of time. When you sit it puts hundreds of pounds of pressure on the hardware. If you would like to chat more you can email me at [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Back Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
spinal cord stimulator removal (Apr '11) 49 min Steven 201
News Newborn chiropractic care: Where is the evidence? Jun 20 DABonit 1
dhc for sale (Apr '12) Jun 18 danny 6
Nightly back spasms (tightness) can't sleep! (Jan '08) Jun 15 Elmarie 85
Spinal fusion 6months post op. Pressure feelin... (Dec '07) Jun 13 Debbie 158
Buy ACTAVIS Perx, Ox and Rox. (Oct '13) Jun 12 kyler 2
News The backpack burden: The concern for students' ... (Sep '14) Jun 12 Anonymous 4
More from around the web