loose screws after spinal fusion
Ann

Liverpool, UK

#63 Oct 5, 2012
I had a decompression and pars repair L4\L5 ,for fractured vertebrae with screws put in.
The pain/ pins and needles in my leg have gone but the pain in my back is still there.
If this continues I may need a fusion in 6 months time as I have a vertebra spondylolisthesis,slipping outwards.
In the last week I have hypersensitivity over two areas of the operation site. These are also swollen and so sore.I can't put any pressure on this area by lying doWn or sitting.
I am still in a brace.
I see my surgeon for check up next week.
Any one had this surgery?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#64 Oct 5, 2012
Ann wrote:
I had a decompression and pars repair L4\L5 ,for fractured vertebrae with screws put in.
The pain/ pins and needles in my leg have gone but the pain in my back is still there.
If this continues I may need a fusion in 6 months time as I have a vertebra spondylolisthesis,slipping outwards.
In the last week I have hypersensitivity over two areas of the operation site. These are also swollen and so sore.I can't put any pressure on this area by lying doWn or sitting.
I am still in a brace.
I see my surgeon for check up next week.
Any one had this surgery?
I had the exact surgery !! I ended up having a spinal pelvic fusion with additional cages in the front of my spine. I was in a back and leg brace for 4 months post op. I am coming up on 1 year post op and as of a month ago I am almost pain free. I do have some nerve damage that affects my right foot but I have finally gotten a used to it.
EMP

Katy, TX

#65 Oct 6, 2012
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
I have similar experience. After the 2nd surgery I still have continued back pain. A you aware of any litigation in this situdation and if so who is plaintiff' attorney? Dave
The majority of Back pain after spinal fusions and even hardware failure is not a result of medical malpractice and is not a reason to sue. Back fusions are high in complications and low in success. The more frivolous law suits, the more medical costs rise. I have dealt with fusion hardware problems for 20 years and I have had the best surgeons in the world look at me. It is a typical complication. I am sorry you are hurting, but please don't jump straight to litigation. You signed waivers stating that you knew the risks and complications.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66 Oct 6, 2012
EMP wrote:
<quoted text>The majority of Back pain after spinal fusions and even hardware failure is not a result of medical malpractice and is not a reason to sue. Back fusions are high in complications and low in success. The more frivolous law suits, the more medical costs rise. I have dealt with fusion hardware problems for 20 years and I have had the best surgeons in the world look at me. It is a typical complication. I am sorry you are hurting, but please don't jump straight to litigation. You signed waivers stating that you knew the risks and complications.
I completely agree with you.
Claudia

Fulton, MO

#67 Dec 6, 2012
Shannon wrote:
Does smoking have anything to do with hardware failure?
Don't smoke, surprised they did the surgery if they knew you smoked. smoking is a major cause of failed fusion - really interferes with the growth of bone, so yes I suppose it could be blamed for hardware failure as well since no bone forms to relieve the stress on the hardware. I was told by my surgeon not to even be around others who smoke.

I don't smoke and haven't for several years - so wasn't an issue for me. I quit when I had to have a procedure 7 years ago, wasn't easy at first, but I'm glad I did it.

Best of luck to you.
upset person

Texarkana, TX

#68 Dec 7, 2012
I had a spinal fusion in 2006 in L-5si joint and L-4 and never felt relief ater the surgery, they sent me to a pain clinic and put me on meds, over the years i had to be increased with the meds, but i went back to the doctor numerous times and said" something is wrong beause i have to keep increasing the pain meds and my back is numb and my legs hurt so bad that it feels like the bone is coming thru the skin and they go numb. Guess what their excuse was "lose weight" and i am about 40 # over my BMI or the other excuse was i only wanted to seek drugs. I had a CT myelogram and it showed the screws were never put in right during the fusion and i have T-9,10 disc inverting into the spinal canal..so i have suffered terribly for 6 years from listening to the doctors bogus excuses, wonder if the staue of limitations have run out? I would like him to suffer like i have done. so now i have to have another fusion, but not from the so-called doctor i had!!(he left the practice..wonder why?????
Ken

Werona, Australia

#69 Dec 8, 2012
G'day everyone. I had my spinal fusion 2 years ago and sadly the bones are not growing in the cages. L4/5/S1 fused. Bone growth over the rods/pedicul screws but not the cages. Everything fairly tight in there but sadly i still am in a lot of pain. Apparantly i have to resign myself to a life of pain and opiates. Oh well could be worse i guess.
Hope you all have a lovely Christmas and All the best for the New Year to you all.:)
cindy m

Palm Harbor, FL

#70 Dec 15, 2012
Karen--UK wrote:
My spinal fusion was 1 year ago July 09 on a recent x-ray i have been told of possible loose scres to be cofirmed by CT scan approx 6 weeks wait !! i have to put physio etc onhold this is very frustrating all my hard work to start over again! What will they actually do ? i have burning hot knife stabbing pains and terrible leg cramps at night but dont know if they are conected can anyone help ??
I hate to hear what your going through because I understand. I am going through the same thing. Pain, leg cramps, back spasms and poping in my back. I wish I could give you some direction but, no one wants to address the elephant in the room. Our screws are loose and we are dealing with a problem and side affects that they either don't know how to address or will not address for liability reasons. If you ever find out where and who we need to see sent the info my way as well. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Texas Patient

Dallas, TX

#71 Dec 17, 2012
I had probelms and went to a doc i found on www.becomepainfree.com I would check these guys
Anonymous

Las Vegas, NV

#72 Dec 17, 2012
I just had my FOURTH surgery to remove screws that I KNEW were loose. The pain was unbearable! I could actually feel exactly were they were and could feel them going in and out of holes and burning at point were they touched skin from the inside. Now I feel the same unbearable pain 8 months later! YES THIS IS COMMON! Get your hospital records and find out who is the manufacturer of your hardware. Some companies have a track record of bad hardware and hardware failure. GO TO WWW.FDA.GOV AND FILL OUT A MEDWATCH COMPLAINT. IF THE FDA DOES NOT KNOW YOUR HARDWARE HAS FAILED, AND HOW MANY FAILURES, THEY CANNOT ENFORCE RECALL OF A PRODUCT. PLEASE DO THIS SO THAT OTHERS THAT FOLLOW AFTER YOU MAY NOT HAVE TO SUFFER AS WE HAVE.
gloria

United States

#73 Jan 4, 2013
I have had 2 fusions first c5-7 then went back had c3-4 with no relief still have burning, sharp pains from where fusions were done that goes down middle of my back , unable to turn neck, tingling in arms. Dr says he thinks that pressure from 6-7 might be putting pressure on c3-4 what happens if screws are loose where do theygo if they come out what happens to my neck is it dangeious the pain hust so bad dr first told me he might half to go in from the back and retightened the screws after my last visit he gave me steroids and pain pill no relief now he tell me he sorry for my painbut doesnt know what else to do. Im totally confused any suggestion would be appreciated
Candie

Sparks, NV

#74 Jan 10, 2013
Jennifer wrote:
I had a 5 leval fusion April 2010, I have not felt normal since - I am now experiencing a pinching sensation in the lower back. Has anyone else experienced this - I go see the surgeon tomorrow - I am terrified! It is bad enough I have not gotten the feeling back in my legs now this...
I am in the same boat as you....permanent nerve damage in my left leg due to my 1st surgery ( L5-S1) I'm 10 weeks post op and have been having severe pain in both legs and a weird feeling in my lower back! I just did X-rays and another MRI and see my surgeon today for the results. I'm afraid something is loose,broken or getting pinched:(
TRACEY UK

London, UK

#75 Jan 15, 2013
I HAD SPINAL FUSION L4L5 WITH BONE GRAFT SCREWS AND RODS, 2004, HAD SCIATIC PAIN FOR 3 YEARS ,DOWN TO A LOOSE SCREW REMOVED 2007, NOW SOMETHING IS CATCHING IN MY BACK PAIN IN HIPS AND BOTH LEGS, XRAY SHOWS LOOSE SCREW CT SCAN IN 2 WEEKS TIME ,
Kris from rural Illinois

Mattoon, IL

#76 Jan 16, 2013
Jennifer wrote:
I had a 5 leval fusion April 2010, I have not felt normal since - I am now experiencing a pinching sensation in the lower back. Has anyone else experienced this - I go see the surgeon tomorrow - I am terrified! It is bad enough I have not gotten the feeling back in my legs now this...
Jennifer, I just found this webcite and you are my first attempt to find support and information. I'm [email protected] My surgery was on my neck, 3 months ago; I still am in so much pain and the tingling in both arms is worse. Tests CT Scan show possible loose screws. I'm terrified too, but my surgeon didn't even show up for my last appointment; plus before that, her nurse sent me to a psychiatrist when I complained of so much pain and tingling after surgery. How are you now? Did your surgeon talk with you? I don't how to use this cite, yet, but I will!. but email is where I am most comfortable; not that sitting and typing is comfortable. please write back. I used to live in Chicago then Wilmette. I may be up there sometime; still have girl friends there (I'm 63). Good luck> Tell me your story and what medications you've tried. Hard for me to believe you've been suffering nearly 2 or 3 years. Wish I'd never had surgery. Kris
Madge

Franklin, TN

#77 Jan 23, 2013
I've had two cervical Spine fusions.....First was 7/2007, second was 4/2011. I can count on both
hands the "good" day's I've had since. What's worse, is from the outside everyone says I look fine, but I wish they could feel what I feel just for a day, so they would become more patience and compassionate. Second surgery was supposed to
clean up scare tissue, as well as fix the first failed
surgery.
I'm telling ya, if you can avoid this surgery, DO it!
My life will never be the same!!!
Kris from rural Illinois

Mattoon, IL

#78 Jan 24, 2013
Have Any of You considered malpractice lawyer?
email: [email protected]
I'm incapcitated enough since surgery that sittng here typing hurts worse. I Have called an attorney.
Write me: I don't know how to use this cite; nor can I sit here for long. [email protected] identify yourself loose srew; I don't open unknown emails. Kris
Kris from rural Illinois

Mattoon, IL

#79 Jan 24, 2013
upset person wrote:
I had a spinal fusion in 2006 in L-5si joint and L-4 and never felt relief ater the surgery, they sent me to a pain clinic and put me on meds, over the years i had to be increased with the meds, but i went back to the doctor numerous times and said" something is wrong beause i have to keep increasing the pain meds and my back is numb and my legs hurt so bad that it feels like the bone is coming thru the skin and they go numb. Guess what their excuse was "lose weight" and i am about 40 # over my BMI or the other excuse was i only wanted to seek drugs. I had a CT myelogram and it showed the screws were never put in right during the fusion and i have T-9,10 disc inverting into the spinal canal..so i have suffered terribly for 6 years from listening to the doctors bogus excuses, wonder if the staue of limitations have run out? I would like him to suffer like i have done. so now i have to have another fusion, but not from the so-called doctor i had!!(he left the practice..wonder why?????
How are you now? Jan. 2013? I've called an attorney. I'll let you know. Maybe we should join together? I'm worse since C5/C6 surgery; was nearly promised I could be better in a day or so/ maybe two weeks; I followed all their directions; then it was going to be 6-8weeks ... just take perscribed hydrocondone, but no restrictions, and BTW that I "looked" good. Well nice, but I told them about so much pain, all the positions in which I can no longer sit or lie. I am worse: 4+ months and surgeon didn't show up for last appointment (she cancelled the first "follow up" for surgery)last time she didn't even show; saw her NP who had all along told me to take meds perscribed, give it time,.... now she wants to send me to a psychiatrist -- OK, but that won't help, I say. Known my psychiatrist since 1996. Now surgeon won't answer my calls (I've never been released); however, I did after awhile walk out of NP meeting (who sent me to my psychiatrtist). Jam '13 CT shows loose screws possible, further new problems since pre-surgery and PT advices no more PT but medical care. sorry, so long, write back. Kris
Kris from rural Illinois

Mattoon, IL

#80 Jan 24, 2013
elizabeth wrote:
Hi, I had a situation like yours in 2008 I had a double fusion as time went on my back got worse stabbing,burning ,can barely walk pain. then finally 15 months later with the forcing of the chropractor the surgeon did imaging work to find I had 2 broken screws and no bone where he supposable put it wasn't there. so I find out that he knew nothing about curvatures of the spine so I consulted with a orthopedic that studied my x-rays mri and cat scan he had to do the whole operation over remove the broken screws (which I have in a bag,along with all the other hardware) and do a 10 level fusion with new and additional hardware. They can't leave loose or broken hardware in you. Six weeks is a long tome to wait for a cat scan though.
Good luck!
How are you now? I'm much worse since surgery; what do I do? same doctor? I cannot get a 2nd opinion for a year! who decided that? write [email protected]
Kris from rural Illinois

Mattoon, IL

#81 Jan 24, 2013
jamie wrote:
i had spinal fusion between L4 L5,please could anyone tell me the symptoms of loosening screws,i have six,an a plate,it has been a year since my op but i am still suffering a loss of use on my right leg,nice to see advice is here,i am good for nothing in the mornings,my back is so stiff when i get up,does anyone else suffer this,goin to see a professor tomorrow,aparently he is the top expert,who knows?? ive never heard of him,any help would be appreciated,thanks
Jamie, How are you Jan 2013? when was your surgery? Yes I've had many new problems since neck surgery; called lawyer. write: [email protected]
Rose

Stoney Creek, Canada

#82 Jan 26, 2013
Age 43 level 8 spinal fusion
How do you know your fusion was a success?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Back Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
awesome desktop healthsaver May 25 Laura 2
News Texting may cause neck and spine injury (Nov '14) May 13 Chiropractor From... 120
spinal fusion after effects (Mar '08) May 12 Lambertj 334
News 'Sham' Acupuncture as Effective as the Real Thi... May 7 JamesPonce 3
Mattress advice please! May 4 MartinW186 3
Spinal fusion 6months post op. Pressure feelin... (Dec '07) May 1 Lori 153
recovery from l3l4 fusion had 10/27/15 Apr 30 rich64 3
More from around the web