loose screws after spinal fusion

Posted in the Back Pain Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Karen--UK

Glasgow, UK

#1 Jul 28, 2010
My spinal fusion was 1 year ago July 09 on a recent x-ray i have been told of possible loose scres to be cofirmed by CT scan approx 6 weeks wait !! i have to put physio etc onhold this is very frustrating all my hard work to start over again! What will they actually do ? i have burning hot knife stabbing pains and terrible leg cramps at night but dont know if they are conected can anyone help ??
elizabeth

Bronx, NY

#2 Jul 28, 2010
Hi, I had a situation like yours in 2008 I had a double fusion as time went on my back got worse stabbing,burning ,can barely walk pain. then finally 15 months later with the forcing of the chropractor the surgeon did imaging work to find I had 2 broken screws and no bone where he supposable put it wasn't there. so I find out that he knew nothing about curvatures of the spine so I consulted with a orthopedic that studied my x-rays mri and cat scan he had to do the whole operation over remove the broken screws (which I have in a bag,along with all the other hardware) and do a 10 level fusion with new and additional hardware. They can't leave loose or broken hardware in you. Six weeks is a long tome to wait for a cat scan though.
Good luck!
Bonnie

United States

#3 Aug 21, 2010
I had a multi-level anterior and posterior spinal fusion from T10 thru S1. I had walking and balance issues before the surgery and my job as a Respiratory Therapist was in jeopardy. I was told I would be off work for a year, however after adopting a Doberman Pinscher when I was four months post op. I returned
to full time work at 7 months. However, three months later I suffered a heart attack from a 100% blocked
LAD. After recovering from stent placement I returned to work full time for several months before suffering severe back pain and it was discovered I had two fractures within the fusion. I drew the line and filed for disability retirement and my health overall has improved since.
However, last week I saw the Orthapedic Surgeon and was told that the top cross bar needs to be removed as there is a screw jabbing me from the inside out. Has anyone else had this problem? I really do not want to go back to surgery as I have worked very hard to get to where I am. Please advise.

Since: Oct 10

Ardrossan, UK

#4 Oct 14, 2010
Hello all i was supoesd to be having my spinal fusion op today (14-10-10) but it was prosopned last week im sorry to here about your bad luck with the op im just keeping my fingers crossed that all is well for you all

Thanks Danny
Marie

Stone Mountain, GA

#5 Nov 30, 2010
I had a spinal fusion over a year ago with fusioin at L6-S1. Two months ago I was told that by my surgeon that I needed to go back to surgery to have loose hardware removed. There was no mention of having a CT Scan or having another fusion. I got two other surgical opinions and was told that the spinal fusion would have to be redone. I am still in pain but getting some relief with pain medication. I have come a long way after the first surgery and cannot see myself going through the surgery again. Is there anyone who had this surgery a second time for loose hardware and did well?
Greg

Denver, CO

#6 Dec 1, 2010
Marie wrote:
I had a spinal fusion over a year ago with fusioin at L6-S1. Two months ago I was told that by my surgeon that I needed to go back to surgery to have loose hardware removed. There was no mention of having a CT Scan or having another fusion. I got two other surgical opinions and was told that the spinal fusion would have to be redone. I am still in pain but getting some relief with pain medication. I have come a long way after the first surgery and cannot see myself going through the surgery again. Is there anyone who had this surgery a second time for loose hardware and did well?
yes
Greg

Denver, CO

#7 Dec 1, 2010
I had my first fusion in Oct 09' and then as a result of extreme pain found out in March 10' that I had loose screws and that the fusion had to be redone, in Oct 10' the hardware on the left side was affecting my nerves in my legs and they had to remove the hardware but the fusion was in good shape, I am now have extreme pain in my left leg and on Dec 10, 2010 I go back to my surgeon to see what he issue is. I also have nerve damage in my legs. My fusion was L3 - L5. I have had 2 different surgeons, and countless tests. I wish I had never had anyone touch my back.
Jennifer

Aurora, IL

#8 Jan 10, 2011
I had a 5 leval fusion April 2010, I have not felt normal since - I am now experiencing a pinching sensation in the lower back. Has anyone else experienced this - I go see the surgeon tomorrow - I am terrified! It is bad enough I have not gotten the feeling back in my legs now this...
emilios

Limassol, Cyprus

#9 Apr 8, 2011
i had a spinal fusion on S1-L5-L4-L3 on november. between L5 and L4 he put a ceramic cage.S1-L5 discectomy and L4-L3 the screws are able to move to all directions. i feel much better but sometimes i feel pain on the back muscles and i think itis from the screws.is true that through time the disc S1-L5 will become bone?can i remove the screws and be better?
Jenzie

Chorley, UK

#10 May 10, 2011
I had spinal fusion June 2010 T10 - L2 and also have a pinching sensation at the end of my fusion - physio say it is due to the fact that my spine is mobile below the fusion and has to compensate - doesn't hurt just uncomfortable. The op was the best thing I've ever done - no more painkillers and I look normal (i still don't recognise my new body shape in the mirror) it's done wonders for my confidence. I have a query loose screw as I can't sit back chairs which end at a certain point in the middle of the fusion and it is hyper-sensitive in one place. I put it all in perspective and say a little pain and being awkward i.e not being able to turn to look behind you, is a small price to pay to not have to take opiate painkillers and still be in constant pain...it's all positive my end!
peety

Gwinn, MI

#11 Jun 19, 2011
ihad spinal fusion in 6/09 L3-S1.less than 2yrs later,i have the same symptoms as i did before the fusion.tingling,numbness in both legs.cant stand for no more than 10 minutes,legs loose strength and give out on me.i just turned 34 yrs old and im freaked out.hopefully my surgeon can fix me,or is it broken hardware.
Robin

Louisville, KY

#12 Jun 23, 2011
I am recovering from my second fusion done on June 13 2011. My first was done on Oct 2010. I was told I needed another fusion because it was a non union. Actually the L5-S1 screws wereloose. I am getting cramps in my back when i wake up in the morning and now am wondering if that has anything to do with loose screws. Has anyone experienced that.
Dave

AOL

#13 Jun 24, 2011
Greg wrote:
I had my first fusion in Oct 09' and then as a result of extreme pain found out in March 10' that I had loose screws and that the fusion had to be redone, in Oct 10' the hardware on the left side was affecting my nerves in my legs and they had to remove the hardware but the fusion was in good shape, I am now have extreme pain in my left leg and on Dec 10, 2010 I go back to my surgeon to see what he issue is. I also have nerve damage in my legs. My fusion was L3 - L5. I have had 2 different surgeons, and countless tests. I wish I had never had anyone touch my back.
I have similar experience. After the 2nd surgery I still have continued back pain. A you aware of any litigation in this situdation and if so who is plaintiff' attorney? Dave
Yvonne

Sunninghill, South Africa

#14 Jun 25, 2011
I had a decompression and fusion of L5/S1 on the 24.May 2011. I had long ago booked and paid for a flight ( economy class of course) overseas for the 1.July 2011, so just over 5 weeks after surgery. The flight is 11 hours long. My surgeon says I should not fly as the prolonged sitting in the airplane can loosen the screws in my back and cause complications. I feel well and am reluctant to cancel my flight. Should I take a chance or heed my surgeons advice ?
Trs

Orlando, FL

#15 Jul 21, 2011
Um by no means are you to board that flight. For each additional hour you sit down you add 100 pounds of pressure to your coccyx/S1 area and you will pop the screws. Take it from me the pain from loose acres is much more painful than the pain you had pre-surgery- believe it there is worse pain. I couldn't believe the excruciating pain from the tiny micromotion of the two loose screws. It has ruined my life and has taken me 6 months to get back into surgery. Why would you even risk this type if pain? Why would you want to go through the surgery again. I was also told by my insurance company if I was found neglectful for the loose screws I would be billed in full for the first surgery and it totaled 200k. You think it is worth any of those risks, really? Wait one year for a full fusion and then have the time of your life. Please.
Yvonne wrote:
I had a decompression and fusion of L5/S1 on the 24.May 2011. I had long ago booked and paid for a flight ( economy class of course) overseas for the 1.July 2011, so just over 5 weeks after surgery. The flight is 11 hours long. My surgeon says I should not fly as the prolonged sitting in the airplane can loosen the screws in my back and cause complications. I feel well and am reluctant to cancel my flight. Should I take a chance or heed my surgeons advice ?
Trs

Orlando, FL

#16 Jul 21, 2011
Also, I was doing everything right for the first 90 days post op and couldn't believe how great I felt. I was walking faster than my husband and it felt so good to move again. Literally on day 91 I reached for the shampoo and pop pop pop is all I felt. I didn't over extend my reach in fact it was within a six inch reach and the screws popped. It doesn't take much to pop the screws. Don't you remember the discussion with your doctor when he/she said you are going to feel so good in fact so well that you will want to do more than I have released you for but don't do it just walk. Nothing else for 90 days. There is a reason he is the doctor and you ate the patient. Please listen to your doctor- this pain is not worth a little fun. I swear to you.
Trs wrote:
Um by no means are you to board that flight. For each additional hour you sit down you add 100 pounds of pressure to your coccyx/S1 area and you will pop the screws. Take it from me the pain from loose acres is much more painful than the pain you had pre-surgery- believe it there is worse pain. I couldn't believe the excruciating pain from the tiny micromotion of the two loose screws. It has ruined my life and has taken me 6 months to get back into surgery. Why would you even risk this type if pain? Why would you want to go through the surgery again. I was also told by my insurance company if I was found neglectful for the loose screws I would be billed in full for the first surgery and it totaled 200k. You think it is worth any of those risks, really? Wait one year for a full fusion and then have the time of your life. Please.
<quoted text>
Shannon

Denver, CO

#17 Aug 9, 2011
Does smoking have anything to do with the hardware failure?
Shannon

Denver, CO

#18 Aug 9, 2011
Does smoking have anything to do with hardware failure?
Cecilia

Johannesburg, South Africa

#19 Sep 8, 2011
My husband was involved in MVA on the 09/07/2011 and had spinal fusion from T3-T8 on the 18/07/2011. He went for X-RAY(MRI I suppose)and the report revealed that one of the screw is loose. Can someone please tell me what is going to happen, is there a way they can tightened the screw without going for another operation?
Carol

Marshfield, MA

#20 Sep 11, 2011
I had a spinal fusion T11-L5 with rods & screws Dec, 2009 & was under anesthesia for 11 hours. Befor surgery I had lost function of S1. 1 year after surgery I began to have pain again down my left leg & my leg would go numb. My neurosurgeon referred me to a physiatrist who ordered me to walk with a cane so I wouldn't fall when my leg went numb. I can't stand for longer than 5 minutes & can't walk any distance.
A month ago, because I was having increased upper back pain & ongoing left leg pain, my neurologist ordered a CT scan. It showed that my screws were loose. My neurosurgeon has referred me to the pain clinic. But I don't know what good that will do for the numbness. If I were to consent to surgery I would have to be under anesthesia for at least 6 hours which scares me. How do the screws loosen?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Back Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
spinal cord stimulator removal (Apr '11) Fri Atlgared 210
Back pain...? Sep 21 clairedavas 1
Spinal fusion 6months post op. Pressure feelin... (Dec '07) Sep 18 Perez 162
Is pillow will decrease my upper back pain and ... Sep 12 SamiHemlet 3
Muscle pain Sep 12 SamiHemlet 2
News the pro-adjuster (Aug '07) Sep 7 Chicago Chiropractor 642
News Teenager 'saved from rare skeletal condition' a... Sep 6 Baptistism by Proxy 2
More from around the web