Severe leg and lower back pain after ...

Severe leg and lower back pain after fusion

Posted in the Back Pain Forum

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Oct 12, 2012
Hi everyone!
Im a 36 yr old stay at home mom of two. I have a 16 yr old daughter, turning 17 in Novemer about to start SCAD. And I have a very active autistic 7 yr old son. In February 15, 2011 I had a spinal fusion L1/S5 (if i did that correct, im tired), with hardware done. This was done at home in Florida. Three months after my surgery I had to pack up and move to Ft. Stewart. My husband is AD Army and we had just recieved orders.
Before surgery I had severe lower back pain with minimal left leg pain for about 5 yrs. I had seen numerous doctors and had several xrays taken only to be told nothing was wrong. Then Feb 7, I visited an Ortho surgeon at the request of my PCP. My ortho did xrays of my spide sideways and found that my spine was badly curved. He stated I needed the surgery or I would be wheelchair bound within a year.
I am going on two yrs since surgery this coming Feb, and my leg pain is not only worse by 1000%, but is now in both legs and is all the way up to my hips. My lower back pain has as well increased significantly.
All of this increased pain did not just begin. It began soon after surgery. My ortho surgeon stated it would reside with time, only it has gotten worse.
Im now in PM in Savannah and am on 30mg of methadone a day, 30mgs of lortab a day and zanaflex. Ive been on it all for a year now, all of which has stopped helping. My new ortho surgeon does not believe I should be in this kind of pain so I am in search for a new one.
My question is, does anyone have any thought of what could be going on? My PM dr is useless other than writing scriots and i feel lost. I am in so much pain and most days cannot even stand or walk bc of the leg pain.:( i am miserable, my kids deserve a more active mother than this. I just want to be fixed.:(
Thank you and hugs.
Tara

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2 Oct 12, 2012
Correction L5/S1
Omarsyd

Bankstown, Australia

#3 Nov 11, 2012
Ionescu36 wrote:
Hi everyone!
Im a 36 yr old stay at home mom of two. I have a 16 yr old daughter, turning 17 in Novemer about to start SCAD. And I have a very active autistic 7 yr old son. In February 15, 2011 I had a spinal fusion L1/S5 (if i did that correct, im tired), with hardware done. This was done at home in Florida. Three months after my surgery I had to pack up and move to Ft. Stewart. My husband is AD Army and we had just recieved orders.
Before surgery I had severe lower back pain with minimal left leg pain for about 5 yrs. I had seen numerous doctors and had several xrays taken only to be told nothing was wrong. Then Feb 7, I visited an Ortho surgeon at the request of my PCP. My ortho did xrays of my spide sideways and found that my spine was badly curved. He stated I needed the surgery or I would be wheelchair bound within a year.
I am going on two yrs since surgery this coming Feb, and my leg pain is not only worse by 1000%, but is now in both legs and is all the way up to my hips. My lower back pain has as well increased significantly.
All of this increased pain did not just begin. It began soon after surgery. My ortho surgeon stated it would reside with time, only it has gotten worse.
Im now in PM in Savannah and am on 30mg of methadone a day, 30mgs of lortab a day and zanaflex. Ive been on it all for a year now, all of which has stopped helping. My new ortho surgeon does not believe I should be in this kind of pain so I am in search for a new one.
My question is, does anyone have any thought of what could be going on? My PM dr is useless other than writing scriots and i feel lost. I am in so much pain and most days cannot even stand or walk bc of the leg pain.:( i am miserable, my kids deserve a more active mother than this. I just want to be fixed.:(
Thank you and hugs.
Tara
Hi I just had level 2 spinal surgery on 1nov2012 they fused L4/L5 & L5/S1 I'm only 24yrs old I seen 6 surgeons in Syd and all said the same thing to me that if I did not do surgery I would end up in a wheel chair within a year they ended up going through my stomach an done put a cage with 6screws my leg pain has gone u had pain in both legs my back Pain is still really sore but from what I know surgery is only suppose to get rid of the leg pain my surgeon was Dr Kahil in greenacre I found him to be the best out of all the surgerons I seen I'm still recovering but he said lucky I did my surgery when I did because my disc was crumbled in little pieaces he said another month or so would of not bee. Able to walk again

Since: Nov 12

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#4 Nov 25, 2012
Herniated Disc Pain Relief and Treatments Guide.

Herniated discs are a major cause of disability in people under 45.
I am one of those people.
For the past 3 years I suffer L5S1 disc hernia, the most common type of hernia.
But each case is slightly different and that makes it very difficult to treat.
In my case I also have hyperlordosis, scoliosis and spina bifida.
I have been trying countless treatments and supposed cures. I was often left in disappointment but fortunately found some sources of relief.
I'm not a doctor, just a student with lots of experience with a mother which is a doctor.
At this time, despite my efforts, I have reached a point where I need surgery.
But if I have had the experience and the knowledge I have now I could have avoided this complicated situation for sure.
That's why I made a PDF with my experience and everything I’ve investigated and used to relieve my pain over the years.

I offer this guide for FREE to those who ask me by mail to this address.
dibujantesautocadrb(at)gmail(d ot)com

Since my insurance does not cover this type of operation I'm asking for help through the IndieGoGo platform. Through a donation you can get the PDF,“Herniated Disc Pain Relief and Treatments Guide”. Through this platform I will also answer any questions you may have about the subject.

If you share this link, make a donation or just give it a like on facebook or tweeter you’d be helping me greatly.
w w w (dot)indiegogo(dot)com/herniat esdiscrelief

There I explain who I am and where I come from, watch it if you can and share it if you like it.
Dee Dee

Winter Springs, FL

#5 Jun 3, 2013
Ionescu36 wrote:
Correction L5/S1
Have another MRI done, that will tell you alot. I suffered for years and when I finally had an MRI done I found that not only did I have spinal stenosis from the surgery but my spinal fluid was leaking all over! Having another MRI done and then having it checked by another doctor is like checking up on your doctor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Back Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
spinal cord stimulator removal (Apr '11) Aug 20 Virginia leal 205
News Texting may cause neck and spine injury (Nov '14) Aug 18 Anonymous 123
spinal fusion complications (Jan '07) Aug 16 Michelle 703
need help - ribs out of place - lots of pain (Nov '08) Aug 13 tlynne1983 52
Spinal Cord Stimulator Aug 3 Linda 1
Is pillow will decrease my upper back pain and ... Aug 3 Issabella Williams 1
News New chiropractic tool treats back pain without ... (Apr '08) Jul 31 Shaan 241
More from around the web